Rex vs Namath

Joewillie2k12

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all due respect to Rex and the current Jets players, who are by all means entitled to say what they want about about Namath and his remarks--the fact remains that not one of them, including Revis, could carry Joe Namath's shoes. Guys like LT get the chance play, because of what Namath did in his day!

Namath has found new life with all the electronic media and the fact that ESPN, for some strange reason, thought it would be a great idea to talk football in a weekly segment with a guy that has not played in over 30 years. The game has changed so much since then that Im not sure how relevant anything a player from that era has to say really is unless that player has been actively involved in coaching or the media. Thats why normally you bring these guys on to remember the old days and talk about how great the players from the era were and how they worked so much harder than the players today by having to work in the offseason on loading docks, as security guards, and as pro wrestlers rather than playing video games and going on vacation. But they have Joe talking 2011 Jets and relating his experience to todays game.

Now I dont think there is anything wrong with Namath saying what he said, I think the issue is that his opinion is going to get huge press and then make the Jets respond. He would have been better off approaching the team about being a good will ambassador and doing something on their website where they could edit his commentary if he went off the deep end on the team.

Namath has found new life with all the electronic media and the fact that ESPN, for some strange reason, thought it would be a great idea to talk football in a weekly segment with a guy that has not played in over 30 years. The game has changed so much since then that Im not sure how relevant anything a player from that era has to say really is unless that player has been actively involved in coaching or the media. Thats why normally you bring these guys on to remember the old days and talk about how great the players from the era were and how they worked so much harder than the players today by having to work in the offseason on loading docks, as security guards, and as pro wrestlers rather than playing video games and going on vacation. But they have Joe talking 2011 Jets and relating his experience to todays game.

Now I dont think there is anything wrong with Namath saying what he said, I think the issue is that his opinion is going to get huge press and then make the Jets respond. He would have been better off approaching the team about being a good will ambassador and doing something on their website where they could edit his commentary if he went off the deep end on the team.

I think it's a non-issue if Rex doesn't respond to it. The local media has been looking for something to use to get under Rex's skin and, to date, he's done a good job of biting his tongue with everything. A lot of teams have ex-players sniping at the franchise, whether it's John Riggins in Washington, basically every ex-Dolphin, Esiason with the Bengals, etc etc. If Rex says nothing, Namath remains an old guy making wacky statements on a second-rate radio show.

I think it's a non-issue if Rex doesn't respond to it. The local media has been looking for something to use to get under Rex's skin and, to date, he's done a good job of biting his tongue with everything. A lot of teams have ex-players sniping at the franchise, whether it's John Riggins in Washington, basically every ex-Dolphin, Esiason with the Bengals, etc etc. If Rex says nothing, Namath remains an old guy making wacky statements on a second-rate radio show.

I think the difference is that Namath is a real Jets and NFL legend. John Riggins isnt a legend in the NFL or in Washington. The Jets have had such limited success in their history that he has a place that very few athletes have. Until the Jets win again they more or less live and die with Namath. I have a feeling Peyton Manning will be in that same category since he is basically the only things the Colts have had since moving to Indy. If Rex doesnt respond it makes it look like its a problem. If he does respond he just gives Namath more airtime Its no win for the Jets. I dont get why when this first happened they just didnt go to ESPN and say to pull the plug on the Joe show or make i t a once a month feature. Those guys bend over backwards for the teams they cover and it would have been very easy to just stop had they done that.

Everything Joe said was the truth and I dont have a problem with it. The big problem I see is pro personal-- bad choices --especially their assessment of Hunter at RT and not getting somebody when Turner went down in August --also thinking Green could carry the running game. IF our O-line played better and we had a running game things right now would be different. I Still think we have a top NFL defense, our offense is killing us.

I think the difference is that Namath is a real Jets and NFL legend. John Riggins isnt a legend in the NFL or in Washington. The Jets have had such limited success in their history that he has a place that very few athletes have. Until the Jets win again they more or less live and die with Namath. I have a feeling Peyton Manning will be in that same category since he is basically the only things the Colts have had since moving to Indy. If Rex doesnt respond it makes it look like its a problem. If he does respond he just gives Namath more airtime Its no win for the Jets. I dont get why when this first happened they just didnt go to ESPN and say to pull the plug on the Joe show or make i t a once a month feature. Those guys bend over backwards for the teams they cover and it would have been very easy to just stop had they done that.

Jason, John Riggins is absolutely a legend in Washington.

Jason, John Riggins is absolutely a legend in Washington.

To the level Joe Namath is in NY? Not even close. Joe Gibbs is the legend in Washington, not John Riggins. Namath is one of the few football icons on the planet whose team never won before or after him. The Redskins won without Riggins. The Giants won without Parcells and LT. The Cowboys won without Staubach and Landry. The 49ers won without Montana. The Steelers win with everybody.

The names that will carry the kind of weight Namaths name does are Manning, Brady, and Elway. Thats about it. Once the Jets win a super bowl Namath will mean less and less. Until that happens he is in a class that very few people can touch.

To the level Joe Namath is in NY? Not even close. Joe Gibbs is the legend in Washington, not John Riggins. Namath is one of the few football icons on the planet whose team never won before or after him. The Redskins won without Riggins. The Giants won without Parcells and LT. The Cowboys won without Staubach and Landry. The 49ers won without Montana. The Steelers win with everybody.

The names that will carry the kind of weight Namaths name does are Manning, Brady, and Elway. Thats about it. Once the Jets win a super bowl Namath will mean less and less. Until that happens he is in a class that very few people can touch.

You couldn't be more wrong. Staubach and Landry are still gods in Texas, as is Montana in the Bay area (in fact, Steve Young will never be loved on the level Montana is by Niner fans - 4 vs. 1.) Most Giants fans have shrines to Parcells and LT in their homes. Riggins is absolutely beloved by Skins fans.

Just because teams won during other eras doesn't mean those guys who first led their teams to glory are any less revered. That's nonsense. DO Green Bay fans love Lombardi and Starr any less because two other coach/QB combos have won titles with the Packers?

Your premise is invalid.

sad to see that homerism is so rampant that even when the most celebrated jets player in history has VALID criticism of the the team, people turn on him on a dime. didn't hear people complaining when he WRONGLY predicted we'd beat steelers last year in afc championship. classic kill the messenger syndrome. sad.

I heard Rex make a wisecrack about Namath saying that any QB would have played bad with the protection Sanchez got vs the Ravans even Joe Montana, then he made a wisecrack stating well maybe not Joe Namath. Dear Rex I like you a lot and think your a good head coach but please dont start a fight with our beloved HOF QB, he speaks the truth-from outing the teams the inability to coach up Sanchez to take a simple snap from center to drafting bad players and keeping them around taking up space. KEEP MAKING IT REAL JOE!

OMG why dont you just go make out with Namath already and bear his children...Look im grateful for Namath unifying the NFL and AFL as well as bringing the Jets their only championship but to be honest i was born in 81 and that sh*t happened in 68....it is freaking 2011 right now. MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE. I could care less what Namath thinks. He has had way too many drunken media malfunctions to be taken seriously anymore. Rex is the coach of this team, not Namath. Namath aint gonna do jack for this team to get us back to the super bowl. And Im sorry but telling Sanchez to have his hands closer to Mangolds balls aint enough to say he contributed either...

Jets legend Joe Namath criticized Holmes on the radio this week for making those comments in the media. Holmes does not seem to value Namath's opinion.

"Joe Namath doesn't work for the New York Jets," Holmes said. "He doesn't coach here. He doesn't have anything positive to say about us. We can't feed into what he says on the outside to the media." Santonio Holmes.

I agree 100% with Santonio Holmes. Joe Namath has always harped all over our Jets franchise when the going gets tough. Shut up Joe.

Namath might just be a recurring guest on a sports radio show, but he's had a long career as a football analyst and people listening to him are expecting some honesty in his remarks. I find Joe's criticisms relatively mild. Saying that the coach makes the players think they are better than they are would not normally be considered harsh, but in the context where the fan base is talking that the team is a lock for the SuperBowl it apparently constitutes heresy.

Archived