Red Sox Offseason Thread

CrazyCarl40

Let's not clog up the Yankees thread with Red Sox stuff. The Sox have to decide about Theo, hire a new coach and make lots of decisions. Here is a list of their free agents:

JD Drew

Jason Varitek

Tim Wakefield

David Ortiz

Jonathan Papelbon

Marco Scutaro (has a player/team option)

Dan Wheeler (club option for 2012)

Erik Bedard

They have about 53 million coming off of the books.

Arbitration Eligible players:

Jacoby Ellsbury

Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Mike Aviles

Matt Albers

Jed Lowrie

Alfredo Aceves

Daniel Bard

Franklin Morales

Ellsbury and Bard are due big raises. Everyone else on that list should be back.

You have to bring back Papi. He showed he still has something left and should only command a 2 year deal. That's a no brainer. JD Drew is gone. Scutaro should be back because Iggy is not ready. Tek/Wakes will depend on the new manager and whether he sees value in them. Wheeler should be brought back as he started to get effective down the stretch. Papelbon will be in biggest decision to make.

After that it'll be finding a RH hitting RFer (Cuddyer, Willingham etc) to complement Reddick and Kalish. And finding a few more bullpen arms (who knows what we have in Jenks).

It'll be interesting to see how free agency pans out, but I don't see any big splashy moves really.

If they bring back Tek and Wakefield, it's a signal that they're not serious about competing.

I wouldn't say that. As far as back-up catchers go, they could do a lot worse than Tek. He can't throw out runners, but he still can call a pretty good game.

And as this season proved, it's important to have pitching depth. Wakes could be the spot starter/mop up guy in the pen. Like he was supposed to be this season until injuries forced him to pitch a lot more than he or anyone else would have liked.

All depends on if the new manager sees value in either of them.

Instead, Boston’s three elite starters went soft, their pitching as anemic as their work ethic. The indifference of Beckett, Lester, and Lackey in a time of crisis can be seen in what team sources say became their habit of drinking beer, eating fast-food fried chicken, and playing video games in the clubhouse during games while their teammates tried to salvage a once-promising season.

MUST READ- http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/10/12/red_sox_unity_dedication_dissolved_during_epic_late_season_collapse/

I wouldn't say that. As far as back-up catchers go, they could do a lot worse than Tek. He can't throw out runners, but he still can call a pretty good game.

And as this season proved, it's important to have pitching depth. Wakes could be the spot starter/mop up guy in the pen. Like he was supposed to be this season until injuries forced him to pitch a lot more than he or anyone else would have liked.

All depends on if the new manager sees value in either of them.

How can you argue so hard against CJ and want to bring back Wake back?

While I would not mind Tek coming back although many points of the article make me wonder what happened to the "C" on his chest, Wake is done. He was horrible. You got your 200. Walk away from the game.

He is no longer good. He does not eat innings anymore. He makes Dice-K look pitch efficient. If he cannot consistently go 6-7 innings as a knuckleballer...it is time to go.

How can you argue so hard against CJ and want to bring back Wake back?

While I would not mind Tek coming back although many points of the article make me wonder what happened to the "C" on his chest, Wake is done. He was horrible. You got your 200. Walk away from the game.

He is no longer good. He does not eat innings anymore. He makes Dice-K look pitch efficient. If he cannot consistently go 6-7 innings as a knuckleballer...it is time to go.

Because Wakes will cost 2 million dollars and not be relied on for much. CJ would cost 100 million and have more expectations than he has ever had before. Aceves is going to the rotation anyway so it's moot. Unless they move Lackey (please god) the rotation is set.

Because Wakes will cost 2 million dollars and not be relied on for much. CJ would cost 100 million and have more expectations than he has ever had before. Aceves is going to the rotation anyway so it's moot. Unless they move Lackey (please god) the rotation is set.

The Sox have money.

If it is 53 million like you said, then they can afford to spend money on anyone that is not 40 much less 45.

The Sox have money.

If it is 53 million like you said, then they can afford to spend money on anyone that is not 40 much less 45.

Except they need to bring back Paps or bring in a closer. They need to bring back Papi or find a new DH. they need to bring in a RH hitting Rightfielder. They need to solidify the bullpen. Plus Jacoby and Bard and others more through arbitration. They need a lot more than to pay CJ Wilson (solid performance tonight) too much money to be the 4th starter.

Except they need to bring back Paps or bring in a closer. They need to bring back Papi or find a new DH. they need to bring in a RH hitting Rightfielder. They need to solidify the bullpen. Plus Jacoby and Bard and others more through arbitration. They need a lot more than to pay CJ Wilson (solid performance tonight) too much money to be the 4th starter.

True.

Paps earned 12 million and Mariano earns 15 million. The market is in between there.

Same with Big Papi. He is due a couple million raise above his 12 million. I actually like Edes proposal of bringing a third baseman in and letting Youk DH. Maybe, he will be healthy and occasional starter at 1B for Gonzo.

I do nto think we go after CJ serioulsy. I think we 'entertain' him in order to drive th eprice up.

My only point about going after CJ is we need to do something about the pitching.

We missed the playoffs by 1 game. The Rays gave up 123 less runs. That is nearly 1 a game. We do not need to be 123 runs better although it would be nice. We need to be marginally better and we can easily be in the playoffs. They need to do something so we do not have to go with Wake (too old), Weiland (too young), Miller (too crappy) or Aceves (too unproven).

I would rather sacrifice some of the offense then go with a largely unchanged pitching staff.

True.

Paps earned 12 million and Mariano earns 15 million. The market is in between there.

Same with Big Papi. He is due a couple million raise above his 12 million. I actually like Edes proposal of bringing a third baseman in and letting Youk DH. Maybe, he will be healthy and occasional starter at 1B for Gonzo.

I do nto think we go after CJ serioulsy. I think we 'entertain' him in order to drive th eprice up.

My only point about going after CJ is we need to do something about the pitching.

We missed the playoffs by 1 game. The Rays gave up 123 less runs. That is nearly 1 a game. We do not need to be 123 runs better although it would be nice. We need to be marginally better and we can easily be in the playoffs. They need to do something so we do not have to go with Wake (too old), Weiland (too young), Miller (too crappy) or Aceves (too unproven).

I would rather sacrifice some of the offense then go with a largely unchanged pitching staff.

I think Weiland is going to be a bullpen asset. We'll see.

1970's Bronx Zoo has nothing on this version of The Fenway Freaks

Once again, Sawx worst offseason move was losing Beltre, and it's going downhill from here

No way Sawx make playoffs next year completely rebuilding

What does Beltre have to do with anything?

The Sox are not completely rebuilding. Don't be naive.

So the Red Sox worst offseason move was replacing Beltre with Adrian Gonzalez? Jeez... Something tells you we didn't hear that out of you before the season started.

I've never seen such an overreacting to a late season collapse in my life. From fans, the media, and the Red Sox office. Is anyone going to be surprised if the Sox win 95 games next year and make the postseason? or win the division? Last time I checked the Red Sox have a hell of a lot of talent on that roster.

Once again, Sawx worst offseason move was losing Beltre, and it's going downhill from here

Beltre? Really?

Beltre not being at third and Youk at first was not the cause of the Sox fall. A pitching staff that gave up 123 more runs was.

Gonzo/Youk > Youk/Beltre.

Beltre? Really?

Beltre not being at third and Youk at first was not the cause of the Sox fall. A pitching staff that gave up 123 more runs was.

Gonzo/Youk > Youk/Beltre.

Who has more post season home runs?

Beltre is clutch...I'd take him...plus he's taylor made for Fenway

Glad he's gone

Sawx players that will be gone

Youk

Tek

Wake

Ortiz

Drew

Lackey

Dice

Paps

Looks like total rebuild to me

Glad he's gone

Youk

Tek

Wake

Ortiz

Drew

Lackey

Dice

Paps

Youk isn't going anywhere. Lackey is untradeable. Who is going to take Dice-K coming off of TJ. Paps and Papi will be back. JD Drew who cares.

The core of Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lester, Buccholz, Bard, Gonzalez etc isn't going anywhere.

Wishful thinking maybe on your part?

Glad he's gone

Youk

Tek

Wake

Ortiz

Drew

Lackey

Dice

Paps

Nelson Cruz.

As far as your list is concerned....

Youk: Doubtful. Not much of a market for a 32yo player coming off two injury plagued seasons. Hometown Cincy as a replacement for Rolen?

Tek: Maybe, but seeing the Captain did not say $hit during the collapse. Maybe it is time for him to move on.

Wake: Hopefully.

Ortiz: Possible. Would love for him to be back. Or let him leave and pick-up a 3B and let Youk become the DH.

Drew: Going going gone. Thank You for your HR in 2007 playoffs.

Lackey: I wish. There are 45 million reasons he is not going anywhere. Management will likely give him a pass for his personal issues.

Dice: I wish. Earliest he will be back is June maybe July. He will be a post-all star call up at best. They need to move on.

Paps: Possible. As CC said earlier or in another thread, there are actually a few closers available.

There is no need to totally destroy the roster. Plus, with all the guaranteed contracts, no one is really going anywehre

The team was 81-42 from late April to September 1st. It is not like they had one good month, they played well for four months. Minor changes inthe form of a change in manager, a reliable starter, bring back Paps and some bullpen help plus a low cost bat might solver their issues.

Priceless coming from a Yankee fan.

Highest payroll in baseball and they $hit the bed in the playoffs - 1 and done.

How sad are the Yankees?

Just doing slightly better than a minuscule city like Boston is a successful season.

Yes, the Yankees did slightly better than the lowly small market Boston Red Sox.... /sarcasm

The only the thing that is sad is you. Why are you even here? Go join your fellow chowds over at SOSH

Yes, the Yankees did slightly better than the lowly small market Boston Red Sox.... /sarcasm

The only the thing that is sad is you. Why are you even here? Go join your fellow chowds over at SOSH

Its true.

The Yankees are happy just to beat Boston. Thats all they have to look forward to anymore.

The Yankees and Red Sox both suck.

Its true.

The Yankees are happy just to beat Boston. Thats all they have to look forward to anymore.

The Yankees and Red Sox both suck.

...oh shut up

So if you don't win the World Series every year you suck? Both the Yankees and Red Sox will be World Series contenders next year.

...oh shut up

So if you don't win the World Series every year you suck?

With what both teams are spending. Both are a laughing stock.

Successful season. LOLZ

Both the Yankees and Red Sox will be World Series contenders next year.

BFD They are every year. Hows that working out?

So the Red Sox worst offseason move was replacing Beltre with Adrian Gonzalez? Jeez... Something tells you we didn't hear that out of you before the season started.

I've never seen such an overreacting to a late season collapse in my life. From fans, the media, and the Red Sox office. Is anyone going to be surprised if the Sox win 95 games next year and make the postseason? or win the division? Last time I checked the Red Sox have a hell of a lot of talent on that roster.

95? That is it?

With disaster start and finish included, they won 90 games.

If they get their pitching straight or even marginally better, they can win 100 games. Yes, I said it.

Archived