Who Is Cut?

flylikeajet

Never mind

Jets sign DB Ellis Lankster to 53-man roster

Published: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 12:21 PM Updated: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 12:29 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Share Email Print

lankster.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerEllis Lankster (39) spent training camp with the Jets.

Defensive back Ellis Lankster signed a one-year deal with the Jets today, according to a person with knowledge of the transaction. That person requested anonymity because the team has not yet announced the move.

Lankster signed a future contract with the Jets in January and spent training camp with the team. The Jets brought the second-year player in for a visit today.

Lankster helps add depth to the Jets secondary after a pair of injuries in Sunday's loss to the Patriots. Defensive back Donald Strickland left the game with a head injury, and coach Rex Ryan said yesterday that Isaiah Trufant sustained a significant hamstring pull.

No word yet on the corresponding roster move.

TheJetsStream

Beat Writer / Columnist

Makes sense to sign Lankster, who had good camp/preseason, due 2 injuries 2 Strickland (head), who isn't expected to play v Miami, + Trufant

Probably Trufant.

They'd have to give him an injury settlement though right? And I'd imagine there's a good chance they'll want him back once healthy. Maybe they bump someone like Eddie Jones or Josh Baker back down to the PS? Or finally throw Payne's a$$ onto IR?

They'd have to give him an injury settlement though right? And I'd imagine there's a good chance they'll want him back once healthy. Maybe they bump someone like Eddie Jones or Josh Baker back down to the PS? Or finally throw Payne's a$$ onto IR?

Payne should be a week or two from returning. It would be just stupid putting him on IR now. Should have been done weeks ago. Injury settlement or IR for Trufant seems like the way to go.

Depends. I think there are times when the teams will cut a player with the understanding that he will come back in a week or two with the same contract terms. The player has about a month to file so there is plenty of time to see if the teams sticks true to its word or not. For a player like Trufant its probably best to give the Jets the benefit of the doubt since he could earn say another 8 or 9 weeks of full salary and be active and make an impression on the staff for next year by holding off on filing. His other option is to accept a few weeks pay for being cut and then go right back into the pool of free agents that cant find a job with a NFL team.

Payne should be a week or two from returning. It would be just stupid putting him on IR now. Should have been done weeks ago. Injury settlement or IR for Trufant seems like the way to go.

Yeah, you're right about Payne I just wasn't really sure what would make sense, although I think jason's post below helps clarify that.

Depends. I think there are times when the teams will cut a player with the understanding that he will come back in a week or two with the same contract terms. The player has about a month to file so there is plenty of time to see if the teams sticks true to its word or not. For a player like Trufant its probably best to give the Jets the benefit of the doubt since he could earn say another 8 or 9 weeks of full salary and be active and make an impression on the staff for next year by holding off on filing. His other option is to accept a few weeks pay for being cut and then go right back into the pool of free agents that cant find a job with a NFL team.

Thanks for the info, and this is why we keep you around. :-P I didn't know that's how the whole injury situation worked regarding contracts and that definitely makes sense knowing that. In that case it's probably a good chance they cut Trufant short-term while they need the help of an extra DB and even maybe just bring him back onto the PS in the meantime if for no other reason than to be able to monitor his health situation

CB Lankster Returns, LB Jones Waived

By Jets Media Relations Department

Posted 21 minutes ago

The New York Jets have signed cornerback Ellis Lankster and waived linebacker Eddie Jones. The announcements were made by general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Lankster (5'9", 190) returns after spending 2011 training camp with the Jets. He was initially signed by the club as a reserve/future free agent on Jan. 5 before being waived Sept. 3. He entered the NFL as a seventh-round selection of the Buffalo Bills in 2009, seeing action in 11 contests during his rookie season before being waived prior to the start of the 2010 season. Lankster will wear jersey number 26.

Jones (6'3", 260) rejoined the Jets as a member of the practice squad Sept. 28 before being signed to the active roster on Saturday and making his NFL debut at New England on Sunday. In 50 career games (eight starts) at Texas, he totaled 111 tackles and 13 sacks. He was named All-Big 12 honorable mention as a senior in 2010 after he notched 52 tackles, six sacks, 10 tackles for loss and one forced fumble. An All-American at Kilgore (Texas) High School, he participated in the 2006 U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

CB Lankster Returns, LB Jones Waived

By Jets Media Relations Department

Posted 21 minutes ago

The New York Jets have signed cornerback Ellis Lankster and waived linebacker Eddie Jones. The announcements were made by general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Lankster (5'9", 190) returns after spending 2011 training camp with the Jets. He was initially signed by the club as a reserve/future free agent on Jan. 5 before being waived Sept. 3. He entered the NFL as a seventh-round selection of the Buffalo Bills in 2009, seeing action in 11 contests during his rookie season before being waived prior to the start of the 2010 season. Lankster will wear jersey number 26.

Jones (6'3", 260) rejoined the Jets as a member of the practice squad Sept. 28 before being signed to the active roster on Saturday and making his NFL debut at New England on Sunday. In 50 career games (eight starts) at Texas, he totaled 111 tackles and 13 sacks. He was named All-Big 12 honorable mention as a senior in 2010 after he notched 52 tackles, six sacks, 10 tackles for loss and one forced fumble. An All-American at Kilgore (Texas) High School, he participated in the 2006 U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

Well one of my 8 different guesses turned out to be right... that's how you play the odds fellahs! :-D

Archived