Jets explain presence of camera man on sidelines

dolphann4life

Jets explain presence of camera man on sidelines

Posted by Mike Florio on October 11, 2011, 9:58 AM EDT

82763_nfl_union_tv_complaint_football.jpg?w=250 AP

Well, the latest NFL controversy was over before it even really began.

Many of you have been up in arms regarding the presence of a man with a camera on the Jets sideline during Sunday’s game against the Patriots. The camera was pointing out onto the field, and possibly across the field to the Pats sideline.

The Jets have explained to PFT that the man with the camera “works for Jets TV and shoots footage for our team programming.”

The Jets also have pointed out that the league’s 2011 policy on sideline media access permits “[c]lub video crews and video crews from television stations that produce and telecast club-licensed programming (e.g. coaches’ shows, team magazine-style shows, etc.) may also be permitted to have a camera on the sidelines to shoot footage for those club-licensed programs only.”

Also, club-related sideline video personnel are required to wear lime green vests. The man shown with a camera was wearing a lime green vest.

Thus, the presence of the camera doesn’t constitute a violation of the rules. And any team can do it.

But how does anyone know that the footage shot by a team employee won’t be used by the team for some improper purpose?

If coaches are paranoid about the placement by NFL Films of microphones into the pads of offensive linemen, how can coaches be OK with the presence of cameramen who work not for the league or NFL films but for the team that could misuse the images captured by the cameras?

This one just seems odd. Maybe every coach is fine with it because every coach has an in-house camera guy potentially doing precisely what the Patriots used to do, with only the addition of a lime green vest. Or maybe the lime green vest makes it easy to track the guy with the camera in order to make sure no funny business is happening.

Still, it seems odd — to say the least — that NFL teams would want to have to worry about this.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/11/jets-explain-presence-of-camera-man-on-sidelines/

http://www.nfl.com/n...-broke-no-rules

Jets: Team employee videotaping Pats game broke no rules

Much has been made of this photo, showing a Jets employee filming Sunday's loss to the Patriots from New York's sideline.

Four years after New England's video-taping scandal rocked the league, it's hard to imagine that any team -- especially the Jets, against the Pats -- would so boldly record game action from the field, right?

Wrong. The Jets operated within the league guidelines in what NFL spokesman Greg Aiello labeled a "nonissue" on Tuesday morning.

Jets spokesman Bruce Speight told NFL.com on Tuesday that "the cameraman in the picture works for Jets TV, is wearing a green vest and shoots footage for our team programming."

NFL Network's Albert Breer pointed to the the league's 2011 policy on sideline media access, which clarifies that this type of recording is permitted:

"Club video crews and video crews from television stations that produce and telecast club-licensed programming (e.g. coaches' shows, team magazine-style shows, etc.) may also be permitted to have a camera on the sidelines to shoot footage for those club-licensed programs only.

"Home and visiting club-related sideline video personnel (those shooting for coaches' shows and team programming, scoreboard cameras, etc.) will wear lime-green vests."

Lime-green vest? Check.

Massive controversy averted? Check.

Moving on.

i have always beleived that all teams have done it, pats just got turned in

do you think the pats would let this slide if they thought the jets were even close to taping coaches signals ? all they would have to do is request the footage via the NFL front office

belicheat personally lost $500,000 in that one, to a hated division rival no less, to his former coach who took a job belicheat recommended he not take, and then turned him in

do you really think he would let it slide ?

I don't

Have you always believed it because a whole bunch of big name ex coaches admitted to doing it?

I've always believed it cause it just makes sense, people have been bending rules to get a competitve advantage for as long as people have been competing...

I don't even know what you are referring to cause I didn't follow that huge non story

When performing undercover work, I always like to wear a high-intensity green vest with proper credentials around my neck, all while toting a full-sized video camera and standing next to one of the three individuals with the highest-visibility to other media sources.

What a joke of a non-issue.

When performing undercover work, I always like to wear a high-intensity green vest with proper credentials around my neck, all while toting a full-sized video camera and standing next to one of the three individuals with the highest-visibility to other media sources.

I don't mean to judge you, but based on this I don't think you're a very good sleuth.

I've always believed it cause it just makes sense, people have been bending rules to get a competitve advantage for as long as people have been competing...

I don't even know what you are referring to cause I didn't follow that huge non story

Right after a few guys like Ditka and Johnson came out and said it was something that everyone did:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=348810

FOX's Jimmy Johnson admitted to videotaping coaching signals during his time with the Cowboys, and that he was told about the technique by a Chiefs scout 18 years ago. Johnson also confessed to having interns rifle through the press box trash in search of notes that might have been discarded by opposing coaches. Also, ESPN's Mike Ditka spoke of George Halas bugging locker rooms and George Allen videotaping practices. Pressed by his colleagues on whether Ditka has proof that the late Redskins/Rams coach actually videotaped practices, Ditka quipped, "George can't deny it. He's not here."

Archived