Parcells on Sanchez

flgreen

Parcells: Sanchez not ready to carry team

October, 11, 2011

Oct 11

2:47

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Former NFL coach Bill Parcells is surprised by the Jets' early struggles -- who isn't? -- and he believes it would be asking too much of Mark Sanchez to lift the team out of its funk.

"He's a developing player, just like all young quarterbacks, and there's going to be some good and some not-so-good," Parcells, an ESPN studio analyst, said Tuesday on 1050 ESPN Radio. "The good thing about Sanchez, he's acquired an awful lot of big-time game experience in his short time in the league. I think that will serve him well."

The Tuna added, "Before you can drive a Ford, you have to be able to drive a Cadillac. So if they get everything good around him, I think it will go well. Right now, I don't think he can take the team completely on his shoulders."

Rex Ryan evidently feels the same way. He didn't say so, but that's probably one of the reasons why they scaled back the offense and relied on the running game Sunday against the Patriots. It was a way to take some pressure off Sanchez, who was coming off a four-turnover disaster against the Ravens.

I'm convinced Sanchez can play... I think we need a new offensive philosophy more than anything. We just can't seem to push the ball down the field, and we have the receivers to get it done. We don't do it for some reason. I hate to jump on the Schotty hate train...but it's the truth. He's gotta go. I have no problem being a ground & pound team, but you still have to throw the ball down field at some point.

Then I see the highlights of Cam Newton completing passes all over the place...pisses me off

I'm convinced Sanchez can play... I think we need a new offensive philosophy more than anything. We just can't seem to push the ball down the field, and we have the receivers to get it done. We don't do it for some reason. I hate to jump on the Schotty hate train...but it's the truth. He's gotta go. I have no problem being a ground & pound team, but you still have to throw the ball down field at some point.

Then I see the highlights of Cam Newton completing passes all over the place...pisses me off

I keep reading this on here. Who are these great receivers?

Holmes is good, but way over paid, and drops the ball to much

Plax hasn't practiced yet. Just like with the Giants. Difference is he was a player with the Giants. I just don't see him making any great plays. Two big drops against the Pats. So far he looks like an old guy who hasn't played in 2 years

Mason has been benched for a rookie.

Am I missing something?

Sanchez can play-SOMETIMES. Thats the problem. He's got this Jekyl and Hyde thing going. SOmetimes he's really really good and other times ( most times) he's really really bad. Having a dumb a$$ as his OC cant help either.

I was thinking about the problems with the passing game today. We have had changes to the receiving corps this year, then a short camp with no off season program for the players to get un sync. These guys just may be a late blooming offense which shouldn't be a big surprise.

The problem is we need him to lead the way if we are going to be an elite team - and live up to his draft position. Other than the problem with Schotty.

He cant live up to his draft position if the O.C. is a moron. We cant keep blaming the talent. Sometimes the talent is only as good as the scheme its in and running slant patterns the majority of the time doesnt cut it. We need a competent O.C. before we start talking about Sanchez. Schotty hasnt produced since he's gotten here. The defense under rex has produced, Special teams has produced, where's the offense? The problem is coaching.

Parcells is on to something.

A Cadillac basically drives itself, power everything. Anybody can get behind the wheel. You cant even feel the road some folks say.

A Ford is harder to drive. There is definitely less bells and whistles. It takes more work and a guy has to know what he doing.

Parcells is on to something.

A Cadillac basically drives itself, power everything. Anybody can get behind the wheel. You cant even feel the road some folks say.

A Ford is harder to drive. There is definitely less bells and whistles. It takes more work and a guy has to know what he doing.

Oh yeah, power steering, anti-lock brakes...crazy, innovative stuff you don't see in regular cars these days.

I keep reading this on here. Who are these great receivers?

Holmes is good, but way over paid, and drops the ball to much

Plax hasn't practiced yet. Just like with the Giants. Difference is he was a player with the Giants. I just don't see him making any great plays. Two big drops against the Pats. So far he looks like an old guy who hasn't played in 2 years

Mason has been benched for a rookie.

Am I missing something?

our receivers suck then? is that what you're saying? (now minus Mason of course) ...but yeah what the hell, throw in Kerley....and don't forget Keller & LT as viable options to throw to.

You say Holmes is "good" but drops the ball too much? I'm not sure what you mean by that. If a receiver can't catch than how good is he?

These receivers are not the problem, it's our lack of throwing them the ball...the ineptitude of our offensive coordinator to get the ball in the hands of our playmakers.

Put this same receiving corps on another team in another system that actually throws the ball to their receivers and they will excel and make plays.

Take the 2 best receivers in the league and put them in the Jets offense...same result as what we have now.

Parcells is on to something. A Cadillac basically drives itself, power everything. Anybody can get behind the wheel. You cant even feel the road some folks say. A Ford is harder to drive. There is definitely less bells and whistles. It takes more work and a guy has to know what he doing.

Apparently you haven't been inside any of the newer F250's.

Archived