Boston Herald: Theo Epstein on brink of joining Cubs

Morrissey

http://www.bostonher...33&pos=breaking

Theo Epstein on brink of joining Cubs

By Steve Buckley

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - Updated 9 minutes ago

Two baseball sources have confirmed that Theo Epstein is on the cusp of leaving his job as general manager of the Red Sox [team stats] to accept a position with the Chicago Cubs that is believed to include powers greater than he has in Boston, with an announcement expected to be made “within the next 24 to 48 hours.”

The hangup in the negotiations has been twofold. One of them is that Red Sox ownership was still hoping to have Epstein remain with the team. The other is compensation: If Epstein is to leave Boston, said one source with knowledge of the negotiations, the Red Sox are going to want “something real.”

Whether that involves a player, money or a combination of the two remains unclear.

“But this is going to be resolved very soon,” said a second baseball source.

Epstein, a native of Brookline, joined the Red Sox in 2002 and in November of that year, at age 28, became the youngest general manager in baseball history. Though he put together teams that won the World Series in 2004 and 2007 and made the playoffs in six of his nine seasons, the 2011 Red Sox had one of the biggest collapses in baseball history, going 7-20 in September to blow what had been a nine-lead for the American League wild card when the month began.

Terry Francona, who had been manager since 2004, severed ties with the Red Sox just two days after the season ended. Attention immediately focused on whether Epstein would also be leaving the Red Sox, leading to reports that the Cubs, who have not won the World Series since 1908, had asked Sox ownership for permission to speak with the Boston GM.

Sox on paper are a really good team, but you have to wonder what's going on in that front office when Francona and Theo want to bolt from a team that will be in the thick of it again next season.

Owners are kind of dooshies. Lucchino is tough to work with. I wouldn't be surprised if Tito ends up in Chi town with Theo.

He wants a new curse to break. Best of luck to him. He can take Lackey with him. Cubs can send something awesome in return, if they have it. Sox will be fine whether he leaves or not.

Theo and Terry had a pretty good run in Boston. The lack of respect they are receiving now will come back to haunt ...

He wants a new curse to break. Best of luck to him. He can take Lackey with him. Cubs can send something awesome in return, if they have it. Sox will be fine whether he leaves or not.

SPIN IT, DUDE

WooooooooHoooooooo This is a great, great day

Why? Cherington has been with the team since 1999. He was part of the reason the Sox pulled the trigger on the Beckett/Lowell deal. The Sox will be fine so long as they bring in a quality manager.

Sawx will always be fine in your world

Problem, on the field, and especially in the FO the team is in f-ing shambles

Haha. Okay pal. Stick to following your team then. Leave the Red Sox following to real men.

Seems like red Sawx Nation is full of bitches.....everyone crying how things should have been, sholud be in in playoffs, we have the talent, the greatest team ever assembled, '27 Yankees are nothing

Booo****1inHoooo

Rebuild now

Remember those bad a$$ Sox teams that drank beer and reversed the curse back in 2004?

Yeah. Teams with guys who were about the game and not the paycheck. Not jokes like Lackey. The Sox veered off the path of what got them two championships. They need to bring in guys with something to prove, not with guys who are going to rest on what they've done.

Attention! The ownership does not care about the fans!!!! Larry Lucchino, by all accounts, is the mastermind behind the Sox and an incredible azzhole. He, Werner and that hopeless nerd, Henry, care about the MONEY. They have a frickin cash cow in the "historic" Fenway Park and a bunch of pink hats that gobble the sh*t up. Marketing genius, really. Except, I think that people are just begininng to see this ownership for what it is: A bunch of azzholes that listen to "carmine" the computer, care more about revenue streams and creating them, the English Soccer team that can potential earn way more $$ than the Sox, and an ownership that does not care that much about the product on the field. They throw people under the bus when it suits them, even though they are terrifically horrid at spinning the story. The latest: Theo was so enamored with crawford, that even though owenership did not want him, they relented. Maybe, but me thinsk it was Carmine that was so enamored. Talk radio - at Lucchino's behest I am sure - is planting the seeds that Theo will assuredly trade for Lacky now. He's teh one that wanted him. I mean, he really should! Wow, wonlt he suck if he didn't? Give me a break. And please, do not get me started with the leak of the beer drinking and chicken wing eating during games. That was to bury Francona...I know it, you know it, the retahded sawx fan calling into 'eei knows it.

I hope the Sox fail for years...until Larry Lucchnio is run out of town.

Yeah. Teams with guys who were about the game and not the paycheck. Not jokes like Lackey. The Sox veered off the path of what got them two championships. They need to bring in guys with something to prove, not with guys who are going to rest on what they've done.

Ok, so dump Youkilis(fat), Beckett(fat), Wakfield(old, only concerned with personal accomplishments) and Gonzalez(only concerned about the paycheck)

Cowboy up!

Ok, so dump Youkilis(fat), Beckett(fat), Wakfield(old, only concerned with personal accomplishments) and Gonzalez(only concerned about the paycheck)

Cowboy up!

Wakefield is a free agent. Youkilis might be shopped, but I doubt it. He's not the main problem. Beckett could be shopped. Gonzalez is not just about the paycheck. Don't know where you would even assume that to be true.

Wakefield is a free agent. Youkilis might be shopped, but I doubt it. He's not the main problem. Beckett could be shopped. Gonzalez is not just about the paycheck. Don't know where you would even assume that to be true.

”The gift of leadership also eluded Adrian Gonzalez. On the field, Gonzalez’s overall production was superb, but he provided none of the energy or passion off the field that the Sox sorely needed. His most unfortunate act in September was grousing about the Sox schedule, which required the team to play five getaway games on Sunday nights.”

That has nothing to do with money. And he's not wrong. ESPN can put other teams on Sunday night baseball once in a while. It's not like Gonzalez is the problem here. You're just making things up.

Hey, im just quoting what the Boston Globe thinks.

I just find it funny that the Red Sox fanbase fell in love with the whole beer drinking idiot thing...and now its the reason they lost.

No, Gonzales is about God's Will. Perhaps God's Will will give him the strength to "cowboy up" when he's needed the most.

And speaking of "cowboy up" - it's well known that the players did shots before playing in the ALCS games against the Yankees in 2004. Whiskey or something. So, the spin was "oh those crazy guys!" Now, it was leaked that some of the pitching staff were drinking beer and eating fried chicken during games they were not participating in. The spin "oh, those dirty, unfocused bastards!"

Again, 'gimme a break!

No, Gonzales is about God's Will. Perhaps God's Will will give him the strength to "cowboy up" when he's needed the most.

And speaking of "cowboy up" - it's well known that the players did shots before playing in the ALCS games against the Yankees in 2004. Whiskey or something. So, the spin was "oh those crazy guys!" Now, it was leaked that some of the pitching staff were drinking beer and eating fried chicken during games they were not participating in. The spin "oh, those dirty, unfocused bastards!"

Again, 'gimme a break!

2004 they did shots before one game to loosen up. 2011 they drank every day and their guts showed their dedication. No one would ever consider questioning the dedication of the players in 2004.

Believe it or not, I think this team misses a guy like Curt Schilling. Say what you will, but he would not have stood for what happened this season.

2004 they did shots before one game to loosen up. 2011 they drank every day and their guts showed their dedication. No one would ever consider questioning the dedication of the players in 2004.

Believe it or not, I think this team misses a guy like Curt Schilling. Say what you will, but he would not have stood for what happened this season.

Oh please, Ortiz doesnt hit that home run, Francona is fired in 2004.

Again, 'gimme a break!

Just my commentary here but---

Drinking shots together as a show of team unity is one thing. Drinking and eating in the clubhouse, apart from the team while the game is going on is a completely different thing.

Just my commentary here but---

Drinking shots together as a show of team unity is one thing. Drinking and eating in the clubhouse, apart from the team while the game is going on is a completely different thing.

Every single team in MLB does this.

Do you actually believe your own BS? Guys played for the Sawx so they didn't care about money? Are you 12?

:hand:

Mr. Magic Marker was more about the money than you can possibly fathom. Curt Schilling is all about the glorification of Curt Schilling.

Attention! The ownership does not care about the fans!!!! Larry Lucchino, by all accounts, is the mastermind behind the Sox and an incredible azzhole. He, Werner and that hopeless nerd, Henry, care about the MONEY. They have a frickin cash cow in the "historic" Fenway Park and a bunch of pink hats that gobble the sh*t up. Marketing genius, really. Except, I think that people are just begininng to see this ownership for what it is: A bunch of azzholes that listen to "carmine" the computer, care more about revenue streams and creating them, the English Soccer team that can potential earn way more $$ than the Sox, and an ownership that does not care that much about the product on the field. They throw people under the bus when it suits them, even though they are terrifically horrid at spinning the story. The latest: Theo was so enamored with crawford, that even though owenership did not want him, they relented. Maybe, but me thinsk it was Carmine that was so enamored. Talk radio - at Lucchino's behest I am sure - is planting the seeds that Theo will assuredly trade for Lacky now. He's teh one that wanted him. I mean, he really should! Wow, wonlt he suck if he didn't? Give me a break. And please, do not get me started with the leak of the beer drinking and chicken wing eating during games. That was to bury Francona...I know it, you know it, the retahded sawx fan calling into 'eei knows it.

I hope the Sox fail for years...until Larry Lucchnio is run out of town.

Actually, Cashman suckered the entire Red Sox organization on Crawford.

Do you actually believe your own BS? Guys played for the Sawx so they didn't care about money? Are you 12?

I'm pretty sure that's not what I said at all. Did you fail reading comprehension in elementary school? No where did I say they didn't care about the money, but not many guys on that team were making gobs of it. A lot of them were barely hanging on in the bigs. Millar, Mueller, Bellhorn. The Sox in 2004 were largely made up of grinders than prima donnas. They were also playing for more in 2004 with the whole curse thing and stuff.

Archived