Jets Trade Mason

JonEJet

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to come to the basketball forum more often.

Let me guess... His favorite team is one step away from a championship, and even though they lost badly last year, it wasn't a representation of their ability, but just the situation. Things are going to turn around soon though, because some aspect of their game shows potential for improvement so it's going to happen. Also, their likable but under-performing star is poised to break out because of something he did a while back, and even though he's shown no sign of performing at that level with regularity, it's definitely coming. You're a fool for not seeing this.

Let me guess... His favorite team is one step away from a championship, and even though they lost badly last year, it wasn't a representation of their ability, but just the situation. Things are going to turn around soon though, because some aspect of their game shows potential for improvement so it's going to happen. Also, their likable but under-performing star is poised to break out because of something he did a while back, and even though he's shown no sign of performing at that level with regularity, it's definitely coming. You're a fool for not seeing this.

Get ready, you're about to feel the full wrath of the Luol Deng efficiency arguments.

I'm basing my opinions on what's actually happening on the field. 5 weeks is plenty of time to make a judgment and if we were 5-0, and dominant, you wouldn't be urging restraint because the season is only 5 weeks old. You'd be looking on priceline for hotels in Indianapolis, hoping to get a good deal early.

Your opinions are based on the fact that things are just going to magically turn around.

Sorry ECURB, blind homerism and poor reality testing may work for you, but it doesn't give a lot of credibility to anything you say.

There is no way you saw the JETS one game away from the Superbowl after they got spanked in NE last season... we are both just guessing... only difference is that you are blind enough to somehow think your thoughts are fact.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering the same thing. If AJ is really only missing a few weeks, do you really go out and trade for another WR? Not to mention, doing so a week and a half after the injury took place, so it's not like it was an immediate move. I have to imagine there's some concern from the Texans about how long it will really be until they get him back for them to make this move as opposed to even just picking someone up off the scrap heap or promoting a PS player.

Yes, you do.

If I could avoid 3 sure losses (if that's Houston's take on it) on 3 otherwise winnable games where we'd otherwise win 2 (and maybe 3) of them, I'd trade our 7th rounder every year for 2 more wins. Same way I'd trade our 5th rounder every year if it meant 12 games of a Santonio Holmes level player making under $1M.

Yes, you do.

If I could avoid 3 sure losses (if that's Houston's take on it) on 3 otherwise winnable games where we'd otherwise win 2 (and maybe 3) of them, I'd trade our 7th rounder every year for 2 more wins. Same way I'd trade our 5th rounder every year if it meant 12 games of a Santonio Holmes level player making under $1M.

Well if that's their mindset then sure, but do you really believe that is the case regarding a 37-year old WR who will be, at most, the #3 and just joined the team in a mid-week trade? Not to say he can't be a help for them, I just can't see how he's going to be the difference between a win and loss 4 days after arriving. I could certainly be wrong, but you'd think someone who actually knows the playbook and has been practicing with the team would have a more immediate impact, and that with this kind of deal you're thinking more of long term contributions, which makes me wonder about the health of AJ. Not that any of this really means anything and frankly it's not like I really care either way, and it could very well be nothing more than they'll gladly toss aside a 7th rounder for a few week fill-in, but it just has me curious to see if there's more going on with Johnson than we currently know.

Because, Derrick Blaylock.

Weren't most of those guys pre-Tannenbaum? Or is that your point? And if it is....Vernon Gholston, Vlad Ducasse, Derrick Mason, Kellen Clemens, Eric Ainge, Brett Favre, David Clowney. Jesse Chatman, Aundrae Allison, Kevin O'Connell, Lito Sheppard, Caleb Shladeraff, Jason Taylor, Larry Izzo...

Still has nothing to do with this year's teambeing worse than last year's team. Fun game though.

Still has nothing to do with this year's teambeing worse than last year's team. Fun game though.

With the money and draft picks available, given the salary cap, what was your plan to make the Jets in '11 better than the Jets in '10?

With the money and draft picks available, given the salary cap, what was your plan to make the Jets in '11 better than the Jets in '10?

Better or as good. Not worse. As good would work since we were a TD away from the Super Bowl. I'm not the GM, they don't pay me and I don't have access to GM resources. As a full time GM, I would expect better results from Tannenbaum. #1. Aso was a rediculous and frivolous pipedream. You can't pay for Revis and Aso and still have depth at other positions. It's a logical impossibility. #2. retain some leadership. Adding Plax and Mason while losing Woody (who was hoping to return...well documented) Ellis, TRich, Cotchery etc. left this team without identity. #3. Add Oline depth through free agency (Ravens anyone?), #4 Draft for need in the later rounds (Powell, McElroy and McKnight were useless...though McElroy gets a pass as he will supplant father time). #4 Cut Bait. Ducasse gone. Hunter demoted. Vet installed (the healthiest former giants FA? Gurode, etc?) #5 Bring in competition for Sanchez (Silky Garrard?). #6 Go after need-based players in UDFA (Lefeged, Herzlich?) #7 develop young WR already on squad instead of bringing in Splashy names that can no longer play (Kerley, Patrick Turner). There are RBs and WR's all over the league that have been developed from late rounds or UDFA who are solid players. We don't develop. We bu players from other squads. And this our biggest personnel issue. Where is our Victor Cruz, Arian Foster, Miles Austin? Hell even Bart Scott was UDFA, and we bought him at top-dollar from another team.

There is no way you saw the JETS one game away from the Superbowl after they got spanked in NE last season... we are both just guessing... only difference is that you are blind enough to somehow think your thoughts are fact.

I actually know for a fact that at some point during the Lions game last year, that EY thought the season was over right then and there. I think it was after there late TD.

Better or as good. Not worse. As good would work since we were a TD away from the Super Bowl. I'm not the GM, they don't pay me and I don't have access to GM resources. As a full time GM, I would expect better results from Tannenbaum.

Sometimes it's not possible to improve every year, or even maintain the status quo. Jets were ahead of the curve last year with the trade for Holmes. They got a quality WR at a bargain basement price. This year, that bill came due.

#1. Aso was a rediculous and frivolous pipedream. You can't pay for Revis and Aso and still have depth at other positions. It's a logical impossibility.

Agreed. That was stupid. I said so loudly and clearly at the time. I also think that's much more on Rex than Tanny, although I'm sure Tanny's I can get any deal I want to get done ego probably came into play as well.

#2. retain some leadership. Adding Plax and Mason while losing Woody (who was hoping to return...well documented) Ellis, TRich, Cotchery etc. left this team without identity.

Down below you bemoan the lack of young players developing. You can't have everything. I think Plax has been a plus. Cotchery wanted out (if he stayed with the Jets, he'd probably be a Texan right now). Ellis has been adequately replaced, TRich is well past his time, as is Woody. Jets leaders now are guys like Revis, Mangold, Sanchez, Scott, Holmes, Pouha, etc.

#3. Add Oline depth through free agency (Ravens anyone?),

The OL looked pretty good, they had a 2nd rounder developing, a solid backup in Turner, then the wheels fell off. No one saw Hunter struggling as much as he has, no one anticipated Turner's broken leg, of Mangold missing a start.

#4 Draft for need in the later rounds (Powell, McElroy and McKnight were useless...though McElroy gets a pass as he will supplant father time).

I like the McElroy pick a lot. Again, a young player developing. That's exactly what you want. I think the Jets draft RB's too early, but that's their philosophy. LT is winding down, and they see Joe McKnight as a future CB. For a team that's relied heavily on the running game the last couple years, it's hard to question that pick, either. Scotty McKnight? Meh. Barely worth talking about either way.

#4 Cut Bait. Ducasse gone. Hunter demoted. Vet installed (the healthiest former giants FA? Gurode, etc?)

Again, young guy developing. They may eventually cut bait with Ducasse, but I've seen the Jets cut OL who've gone on to start in New Orleans, Indy, etc. Sometimes these guys take time to get up to speed. Ducasse is a unique physical specimen. You give him a chance. Hunter played very well last year. No one saw his performance this year coming.

#5 Bring in competition for Sanchez (Silky Garrard?).

Sorry, you don't bring in competition for a young QB who's brought you to the AFC Championship Game in his first two seasons.

#6 Go after need-based players in UDFA (Lefeged, Herzlich?)

This is pretty inconsequential, too. We don't know who they went after who went elsewhere, and these guys generally become practice squad fodder for a couple years, anyway.

#7 develop young WR already on squad instead of bringing in Splashy names that can no longer play (Kerley, Patrick Turner).

I've long complained about how they do business at the WR position. There's a major bust ratio at the position, and I think they're afraid to draft one high.

There are RBs and WR's all over the league that have been developed from late rounds or UDFA who are solid players. We don't develop. We bu players from other squads. And this our biggest personnel issue. Where is our Victor Cruz, Arian Foster, Miles Austin? Hell even Bart Scott was UDFA, and we bought him at top-dollar from another team.

It's hard to pin this failure on Tanny, too. I mean, I agree with you, but this is a staff issue. Scouts need to identify these guys, and coaches need to develop them. I think the Jets come up short on both counts. Especially when it comes to offensive coaching.

But we do have guys like Brandon Moore, DeVito, Westerman, Pitoitua, Cumberland was coming along... It's not a total void.

Best news I've heard in a while. It was obvious he's the one who wouldnt shutup in the locker room, and was worse than Kerley or even Patrick Turner on the field. Nice move. Maybe next we'll dump Plax and seem like the jets again.

NFL football is a young man's game. As a Jet fan I'm much more excited to watch Kerley than I ever could be for Mason.

This is off topic but I think its still relevant to this thread: I think the Jets' strategy of trading draft picks - which in individual cases seems like the right thing to do (Holmes for a fifth round pick!!!; Bray Edwards for a third and a fifth!! - or whatever) - is just not the way to field a consistently good team. It seems like years since the Jets had a nice healthy contingent of draft picks and that's why we don't have adequate depth across the board.

As an example, I look at our safeties and think that this can't last: Leonard is in decline and the combo of him and Smith (or Poole) is just inadequate to deal with the threats that they constantly face in the middle of the field. This same point can be made about the defense, generally: The entire starting LB corp is getting old and will soon need to be replaced. Granted, it's possible that Scott might have a Ray Lewis type long career, but that would be exceptional. Where can all these replacements come from except through the draft?

We need more draft picks. More Kerleys, less Masons (And Plaxicos).

Just my two cents.

Best news I've heard in a while. It was obvious he's the one who wouldnt shutup in the locker room, and was worse than Kerley or even Patrick Turner on the field. Nice move. Maybe next we'll dump Plax and seem like the jets again.

Dont understand the hate for Plax.

Whats he done wrong?

This is a good move. I feel that Mason was holding us back. He looks slow, out of shape and struggled to run some basic routes. He never really got in sync with Sanchez, and looking closely, he's probably responsible for at least 2 of his picks. He was just out of place on many snaps. Kerley looked a lot better in the slot, and I feel it's more conducive to our future to let him develop. He's got huge potential. Forget old man Mason. It was a worthy risk bringing him in, but it didn't work out, unfortunately. That's how the business works.

He's done almost nothing. That's the problem. He's just not a starter at this point of his career

?

He's third on the team in receiving yards, tied for most TD's with 2, and leads the Jets WR's with 15.5 ypc. He's been a very solid addition.

I'm not sure how actually statistics qualify as "guessing" and how their use qualifies as "blind", but hey, again, your world doesn't require reality testings, so, Go You!

He's done almost nothing. That's the problem. He's just not a starter at this point of his career

Huh? Thats just not true. As Slats stated above.

What I found interesting...is that he's made all the tough catches this year and dropped a couple easy ones on Sunday. He's been, wiat for it, blocking down field well too.

Dont get the hate for Plax at all. He gets a lot of attention out there but for some reason this board doesnt notice it.

I actually know for a fact that at some point during the Lions game last year, that EY thought the season was over right then and there. I think it was after there late TD.

Joke was on me for thinking it was as bad as I did because the Lions are and were better than us.

Huh? Thats just not true. As Slats stated above.

What I found interesting...is that he's made all the tough catches this year and dropped a couple easy ones on Sunday. He's been, wiat for it, blocking down field well too.

Dont get the hate for Plax at all. He gets a lot of attention out there but for some reason this board doesnt notice it.

Plax has been fine, but just not great, although I think anyone who expected he would be that was a tad delusional. The big thing is he's coming off a couple of games where he had a few pretty ugly drops in the midst of losing games, which is going to turn a lot of people against him. I had zero expectations for Plax so I certainly have been pleasantly surprised, and there's no doubt he far outperformed Mason in their time together. I get just as pissed as anyone any time I see a WR drop a ball, but unfortunately it's more and more common in the NFL these days, and beyond that I don't see any real reason to be too upset with the guy unless someone thought we were getting 2007 Plax.

Dont understand the hate for Plax.

Whats he done wrong?

Plax collects his paycheck, and that's fine. But defenses are barely accounting for him at all the last few weeks. You'd need more than two hands to count the number of plays where he literally checked out as soon as the ball was snapped between the New England and Baltimore games. That said, the masses can't really be that confused when Marbury eats Vaseline, you knew what you were getting to begin with.

Joke was on me for thinking it was as bad as I did because the Lions are and were better than us.

Meh, the only tough game they've had all year was at home vs. Chicago. They've played some serious duds this year...KC, TB, Vikings...Romo handed them a game too. They are playing good Football, but I'm not ready to say they are contenders.

I think you are a very passionate fan who knee jerks way too quick. You're ready to call the season over for next to nothing sometimes. I was with Klacko when you texted him that...couldnt help but laugh and then the comeback started. ;-)

The way I see it...no team in the NFL has had to endure the 3 game stretch the Jets have so far. Nobody..not even close really. Away @ Oakland, Balt and NE. Thats really really tough for even elite teams.

Season is far from over and the Jets will be 4-3 going into the bye with destiny in their hands.

Archived