Martin Tevaseu To Active Roster

flylikeajet

He played in the playoffs for us last year, so there is something that the coaches like about him

Oh, don't get me wrong, completely agree. It says a hell of a lot for a guy to get upgraded to the active roster and then activated on game day all for the AFC Championship game. Not to mention, he was starting over Ellis throughout the preseason when Pouha was out and played well. Frankly, I was a little surprised he didn't make the final roster, but the Jets have tended to go pretty light on the number of DL they carry since Rex has been around. I just know how people get around here and while it could just say plenty positive about MTV, there's many who will be declaring Ellis as a definitive bust if he's getting deactivated in favor of a 2nd year UDFA.

Oh, don't get me wrong, completely agree. It says a hell of a lot for a guy to get upgraded to the active roster and then activated on game day all for the AFC Championship game. Not to mention, he was starting over Ellis throughout the preseason when Pouha was out and played well. Frankly, I was a little surprised he didn't make the final roster, but the Jets have tended to go pretty light on the number of DL they carry since Rex has been around. I just know how people get around here and while it could just say plenty positive about MTV, there's many who will be declaring Ellis as a definitive bust if he's getting deactivated in favor of a 2nd year UDFA.

i agree with you. dixon and tevaseau over ellis at this point in the year would create panic

Exactly. I don't see how this helps them from getting worn down up front when Ellis hasn't been active yet. I think that Ellis is, like Cumberland and Ducasse last year, worth a decent amount but probably not ready to play. The other and more important thing is people getting dinged. As you said, Rex tends to carry very few Dlinemen and that may be why they wanted to get younger this offseason. Right now Pitoitua is dinged up and may not be ready to go. The only inference I'd draw from this move is that they prefer to add Tevesau rather than GIlbert.

If Belicheck activates a UDFA above a guy he drafted in the third round then its considered another example of his genius. Here, its a sign that we can't draft.

hmmm...I wonder why that is?

Jets draft picks 2008 to 2011:\

Vernon Gholston

Dustin Keller

Dwight Lowery

Eric Ainge

Marcus Henry

Nate Garner

Mark Sanchez

Shonne Greene

Matt Slauson

Kyle Wilson

Vlad Ducasse

J. McKnight

John Connor

Mo Wilkerson

Kenrick Ellis

J. Kerley

G. McElroy

Bilal Powell

S. McKnight

19 total drafted

Patriots draft picks 2008 to 2011:

Jerod Mayo

Terrence Wheatley

Shawn Crable

Kevin O'Connell

Johnathan White

Matt Slater

BoRuud

Patrick Chung

Ron Brace

Darius Butler

Sebastian Vollmer

Brandon Tate

Tyrone McKenzie

Rich Ohrnberger

George Bussey

Jake Ingram

Myron Pryor

Julian Edelman

Daryl Richard

Devin McCourty

Rob Gronkowski

Jermain Cunningham

Brandon Spikes

Tal\ylor Price

Aaron Hernandez

Zoltan Mesko

Ted Larsen

Brandon Deaderick

Kade Weston

Zac Robinson

Nate Solder

Ras I Dowling

Shane Vereen

Stevan Ridley

Ryan Mallet

Marcus Cannon

Lee Smith

Markell CArter

Malcolm Williams

40 total drafted

2012 NE picks: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th. 6 picks in first four rounds. This is how you stay relevent for a decade.

This is how you stay relevent for a decade.

LOL... is this serious? Not even getting into how many god awful picks the Pats have on that list you provided, the fact is that even if it didn't, none of that has a damn thing to do with your point. No, how you stay relevant for a decade is having a future HOF QB under center. Outside of Brady, their isn't more than one or two positions on that team that isn't substantially worse than their Super Bowl years, but as long as they have Brady, none of that matters (at least not during the regular season).

LOL... is this serious? Not even getting into how many god awful picks the Pats have on that list you provided, the fact is that even if it didn't, none of that has a damn thing to do with your point. No, how you stay relevant for a decade is having a future HOF QB under center. Outside of Brady, their isn't more than one or two positions on that team that isn't substantially worse than their Super Bowl years, but as long as they have Brady, none of that matters (at least not during the regular season).

Mark Sanchez...1st round pick

ToM Brady....6th round pick

How you stay relevent: having a huge pool of drafted players to draw from/develop in addition to UDFA's and FA's. Finding gems, projects, and depth so you don't have to start the Westermans, Baxters and Tevaseus of the world.

Mark Sanchez...1st round pick

ToM Brady....6th round pick

How you stay relevent: having a huge pool of drafted players to draw from/develop in addition to UDFA's and FA's. Finding gems, projects, and depth so you don't have to start the Westermans, Baxters and Tevaseus of the world.

What the hell does where they were drafted have to do with the fact that Brady is a far better QB than Sanchez and every other QB in the league not named Rodgers, Brees, Rivers or Manning? You can repeat that the number of draft picks they've had in recent years has something to do with it all you like, but you're absolutely wrong. While they've certainly improved the past couple of years, it's not all that long ago the Pats have had some horridly awful drafts 10 times worse than the ones the Jets had in those same years, even Pats fans will admit that, yet they kept on winning, and the reason they keep winning is their QB. If they are so amazing at building their team through the draft then why does their defense continue to get worse and worse with each passing year?

Of course building a team through the draft is important to keep a team successful, but you literally could not have picked a single worse example of that in all the NFL, as you're talking about a team that has become increasibly more imbalanced and completely QB reliant since they won their last Super Bowl win than any other team in the league. You swap the QB contributions each team has gotten over the past 10 years and you can be sure the Jets would be the one's dominating the division while the Pats drifted in and out of Wild Card contention. So unless your point is the Jets should be collecting all of these more draft picks in order to use them all just to keep drafting QBs over and over again until they find a future HOFer-type, the Pats are hardly the model for success.

What the hell does where they were drafted have to do with the fact that Brady is a far better QB than Sanchez and every other QB in the league not named Rodgers, Brees, Rivers or Manning? You can repeat that the number of draft picks they've had in recent years has something to do with it all you like, but you're absolutely wrong.

Right. So the Pats finding a Gem in the sixth round has nothing to do with the fact they had enough picks to develop a late rounder. When we drafted Sanchez, we were left with THREE picks for the year. When you have 40 draft picks versus 19, you have a far better opportunity to find a star, a backup, depth, a developmental player, even tradebait. Pats and Steelers have built through the draft and as such have had a healthy cap situation. We buy other players from teams that develop them, then discard them due to high cost. (Santonio Holmes $50mil?) Having 40 picks is also far more forgiving on a team that drafts a bust like Gholston or Ducasse. If a bust player accounts for 25% of your entire draft, you've esentially had a bad draft. And good luck finding the next big late round steal when you don't have late rounders, or have very few.

Right. So the Pats finding a Gem in the sixth round has nothing to do with the fact they had enough picks to develop a late rounder. When we drafted Sanchez, we were left with THREE picks for the year. When you have 40 draft picks versus 19, you have a far better opportunity to find a star, a backup, depth, a developmental player, even tradebait. Pats and Steelers have built through the draft and as such have had a healthy cap situation. We buy other players from teams that develop them, then discard them due to high cost. (Santonio Holmes $50mil?) Having 40 picks is also far more forgiving on a team that drafts a bust like Gholston or Ducasse. If a bust player accounts for 25% of your entire draft, you've esentially had a bad draft. And good luck finding the next big late round steal when you don't have late rounders, or have very few.

Does anybody have the stats on the number of star players found in the 6th round vs. star UDFAs? I'm willing to bet there isn't a very significant difference.

Archived