Buck Martinez raves about pitcher Mets dealt for Delgado

Green Jets & Ham

Delgado's former manager said he would NOT have dealt that young phenom for Delgado, making it crystal clear that he believes the Marlins got the best of that deal ... he absolutely raved about that young pitcher

And if you think I'm making it up, link below

When you get there, Just click the audio file titled .....

"November 23rd, Chris and Mike talked about the Carlos Delgado trade with Buck Martinez of ESPN"

http://wfan.com/chrismikeaudio/

No offense ham but Buck Martinez is a Moron and the Marlins haven't got the best of any deal since 1995.

Buck's word doesn't hold to much weight with me.

I hear you smiz, but two things to consider

1. Buck managed Delgado and unlike Jack McKeon {who managed Delgado and has no use for him}, Buck actually likes Carlos

2. Buck made some Good points about this young pitcher ... he backed his opinion up with some staggering numbers, namely K's to Walks {something like 120 to 18 in the always tough Venezuala league}

I hear you smiz, but two things to consider

1. Buck managed Delgado and unlike Jack McKeon {who managed Delgado and has no use for him}, Buck actually likes Carlos

2. Buck made some Good points about this young pitcher ... he backed his opinion up with some staggering numbers, namely K's to Walks

I hear you ham. Im just saying the Marlins doesn't seem to be in the fair trade business.

LOL...I listened to Buck on the FAN interview earlier in the week. Buck said Petit was a hard thrower....Not true.

Buck also said Delgado is one of the classiest players he's ever been around.

Bottom line you have to give up talent for a Delgado.

Mets have a 2 year Pedro Martinez window in which to try and win and had to make this deal.

There's always going to be different schools of thought on trading young pitching.

Delgado's former manager said he would NOT have dealt that young phenom for Delgado, making it crystal clear that he believes the Marlins got the best of that deal ... he absolutely raved about that young pitcher

And if you think I'm making it up, link below

When you get there, Just click the audio file titled .....

"November 23rd, Chris and Mike talked about the Carlos Delgado trade with Buck Martinez of ESPN"

http://wfan.com/chrismikeaudio/

C'mon hammer..Buck Martinez..I know you hate the Mets but come on now...Buck martinez is about as noteworthy as if June Jones gave some football critique. Buck is a has been. Buck think Petit is a hard thrower...that is not the case. the guy has slow pitches but his DELIVERY is what makes it difficult to hit. This guy is no Dontrelle Willis.

Come on Hammer....you can do better than BUCK (ROGERS) Martinez!

LL

Next up...Wagner and either hernandez or molina...

LOL...I listened to Buck on the FAN interview earlier in the week. Buck said Petit was a hard thrower....Not true.

Buck also said Delgado is one of the classiest players he's ever been around.

Bottom line you have to give up talent for a Delgado.

Mets have a 2 year Pedro Martinez window in which to try and win and had to make this deal.There's always going to be different schools of thought on trading young pitching.

I believe this, in a nutshell, explains what Omar is trying to do this off-season. The Mets window is open for 2 more years, tops. And maybe only this coming season, if Pedro starts to show signs of breaking down.

Omar is in a full "win-now" mode, and I mean NOW!!

The core of this Mets team in position players inReyes , Wright and Beltran are all young so Omar wants to win now -the way it should be but no one can say we do not have young talented guys for hopefully many years in the lineup

The core of this Mets team in position players inReyes , Wright and Beltran are all young so Omar wants to win now -the way it should be but no one can say we do not have young talented guys for hopefully many years in the lineup

Check out your starters. Pedro, Glavine and Trachsel. Check out their ages, and mileage.

You are built to win now.

Check out your starters. Pedro, Glavine and Trachsel. Check out their ages, and mileage.

You are built to win now.

I think the key is trying to find a way to bridge win now with win over the next 4-5 years. And I think it can be done creatively.

Keep Reyes, Wright, Beltran, and Milledge. Add vets like Delgado and keep Floyd for the short term.

Yes Pedro is old, as are Glavine and Trax. But IF, and this is a big if, guys like Phil Humber, Alay Soler, and Mike Pelfrey (if he signs finally) - guys who played in college and Cuba, work out and some or all could be fast-tracked to the majors by 2007, there's some hope for retooling an aging staff.

As for Petit, the kid could turn out to be great. He could also turn out to be the kind of guy that hitters figure out because he's not overpowering. My own guess having followed him via various internet sites and scouting reports is that he becomes a serviceable #3 pitcher.

He's shown the ability to get guys out in A, AA, and apparently the Venezuelan league. But the jump to AAA and then the majors is a big one. His short time in AAA last year wasnt so hot. Guys hit him hard. Granted it was his first go round, but when Florida is now talking about him as a possible ML starter in 2006, thats a little crazy. I think he needs a full year in AAA first.

Buck Martinez may love the kid. I've heard other guys compare him to a Sid Fernandez type.

If he tops out as a #3, I'd trade that kind of pitcher for Delgado any day of the week. They can be replaced by free agency.

I think the key is trying to find a way to bridge win now with win over the next 4-5 years. And I think it can be done creatively.

Keep Reyes, Wright, Beltran, and Milledge. Add vets like Delgado and keep Floyd for the short term.

Yes Pedro is old, as are Glavine and Trax. But IF, and this is a big if, guys like Phil Humber, Alay Soler, and Mike Pelfrey (if he signs finally) - guys who played in college and Cuba, work out and some or all could be fast-tracked to the majors by 2007, there's some hope for retooling an aging staff.

MBN and BlackLabel the points I was trying to make is yes the Mets have guys up in years on the pitching staff but they have some core players that should be coming into to their prime years. So Omar wants to win now and that is the way it should be and he has shown the aggressiveness and to be a good talent evaluator in the past with Montreal and here so far to balance it out

As for Petit, the kid could turn out to be great. He could also turn out to be the kind of guy that hitters figure out because he's not overpowering. My own guess having followed him via various internet sites and scouting reports is that he becomes a serviceable #3 pitcher.

He's shown the ability to get guys out in A, AA, and apparently the Venezuelan league. But the jump to AAA and then the majors is a big one. His short time in AAA last year wasnt so hot. Guys hit him hard. Granted it was his first go round, but when Florida is now talking about him as a possible ML starter in 2006, thats a little crazy. I think he needs a full year in AAA first.

Buck Martinez may love the kid. I've heard other guys compare him to a Sid Fernandez type.

If he tops out as a #3, I'd trade that kind of pitcher for Delgado any day of the week. They can be replaced by free agency.

The toughest jump in the Minors is from "A" league to "AA" league. AAA is more difficult then AA, of course, but the toughest hurdle is getting to play well in AA. That's where your talent gets a severe test. I have seen this time and again over the past 25-30 years of following Minor League Baseball.

That said, Petit is no Kazmir. Let's get that down first. Kazmir is a top of the rotation guy. Petit is more a middle of the rotation type, but he has excellent stuff to be a winner in the Majors. Greg Maddoz does not throw hard, and he was pretty good for almost 20 years.

I go back to my original premise. Omar sees the Mets pitching rotation, and figures he must win now. So the Delgado trade was a no-brainer.

Greg Maddoz does not throw hard, and he was pretty good for almost 20 years.

Very true. But for every Greg Maddox, there's dozens of guys who showed good "stuff" in the minors and then got to the majors and got figured out real quick and hit real hard. Its unrealistic to point to a HOF pitcher and say "he did it, so can Petit". Even if the team wasn't in win now mode, Id still make this trade. Potential only goes so far.

Archived