Holmes still voicing displeasure with offense

Ranger

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/10/santonio_holmes_says_jets_are.html

Santonio Holmes says Jets are desperate as they prepare for Miami

The 2-3 Jets have lost three straight games. As they prepare for Miami Monday night, receiver and captain Santonio Holmes agreed when asked if there is a "feeling of desperation" among the team.

"I can honestly say, 'Yes,' " Holmes said. "A feeling of desperation, like we definitely have to win this game. It would set us back at 0-2 in our division, set us back to losing against an 0-4 team and giving these guys a victory. We can't give them a chance."

Holmes has freely spoken his mind this season. While the Jets try to end their losing streak, he clearly has frustrations with the offense's inconsistent performance through five weeks.

"We’re averaging what, about 24, 25 points a game?" Holmes said. "And it’s just not looking good for everybody else on the outside looking in. Things are going pretty good, but they can be better."

How should the Jets get things going?

"If you really want to ask me, I'd say just throw the ball to No. 10," Holmes said. "But I think we have to do the little things correct, and that's protecting the little guys, giving Mark the chance to throw the ball down the field. We have to come up with the big plays every time we throw the ball and not leave anything out on the field."

Speaking of those big plays, Holmes said there has been "a lot of talking in our meeting room" about how stretching the field with deep passes could benefit the offense. Right now, the Jets have 15 pass plays of 20 or more yards, 18th in the NFL.

"We have to honestly run with the plays are being called," Holmes said. "Whatever is being called are the plays we have to line up and go with. There is no audible-ing from the receivers."

Asked if he is surprised there haven't been more deep passes, Holmes said, "The numbers speak for themselves."

Holmes, who caused a stir with comments critical of the offensive line and quarterback Mark Sanchez after the Baltimore loss, tried to stick to the party line yesterday.

"It’s tough. It’s tough," Holmes said when asked what he thinks about the lack of deep shots. "It’s like you want to answer these questions, but you just have to do what you’ve got to do, show up and play. I can't; I can't go that route with you (the media)."

But later, he pointed out the offensive line's play as a reason for the offense's pattern so far.

"I may be criticized again for saying it," Holmes said. "But I think to start up front, and the big guys know it: If they give Mark enough time to sit in the pocket and complete passes, I think everything changes. The routes that are being ran are short routes, 'Hey, let’s get the ball out of Mark’s hands quick, let’s move the ball down the field, let's go from there.' But if you can't protect the quarterback for 4 or 5 seconds, then there’s no point of dropping back 7 yards to throw a football when we don’t have enough time. So we pretty much have to roll with the way our offense is right now."

Miami is ranked 31st in pass defense, but the Jets offense hit some speed bumps against New England's worst-ranked defense last week.

"Obviously it doesn’t make a difference on our team," Holmes said. "New England was ranked what in pass defense, and what did we do against those guys? So, it really doesn’t matter what defenses are ranked, it’s according to how well guys play on the field at that time."

Holmes did say that Miami has some young, physical defensive backs some young physical guys "who are destined for double moves and who are susceptible to just getting beat deep."

The receiving corps has changed since last week. The Jets traded 15-year veteran Derrick Mason to Houston Tuesday, which Holmes said "shook up a lot of guys."

"We thought we had a pretty good group of guys that was here, but unfortunately the organization felt another way," Holmes said. "We have to deal with the punches that are thrown at us and continue rolling."

He added: "He's been a great teammate, been a good guy around the locker room to a lot of guys, but I guess that's the way the organization felt. But as a player, you just feel totally different about another player."

I don't think Schotty is the problem. In fact, he is well respected around the league and has been a part of getting the Jets to the AFC East championship game twice. The real problem is your quarterback Mark Sanchez. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the worst starting quarterback in the NFL passing under pressure despite the fact that they show that he is getting good protection.

When we look at the bottom of the rankings it will surprise nobody that Mark Sanchez is dead last given his struggles start the year. He remains the guy who is holding the Jets back more so than any other and really needs to step up.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/10/07/signature-stats-snapshot-passing-under-pressure/

Holmes is such a jackass. This is the way he rewards Rex for making him captain. Wow. This stuff should be kept IN HOUSE!

I made it known that I hated the idea of Holmes becoming a team captain during the offseason.

Sanchez was obviously a good selection. Now, as I stated during the offseason; both Mangold and Ferguson deserved the title and role of team captain over Holmes every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

If I were Rex, after watching the ways that Holmes has ran his mouth to the media, I would strip his a$$ of the "C" and give it to a Jet player that's deserved it over the years. Ferguson or Mangold.

"We’re averaging what, about 24, 25 points a game?" Holmes said. "And it’s just not looking good for everybody else on the outside looking in. Things are going pretty good, but they can be better."

My god this guy can't get enough with trashing the team! Tssss he's a regula Complainin' Charlie or sumpthin. Tsss. He's really tearing them a new one.

I don't think Schotty is the problem. In fact, he is well respected around the league and has been a part of getting the Jets to the AFC East championship game twice. The real problem is your quarterback Mark Sanchez. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the worst starting quarterback in the NFL passing under pressure despite the fact that they show that he is getting good protection.

https://www.profootb...under-pressure/

Schotty sucked for 3 years before Sanchez was a Jet and the pass protection has been complete dog crap this year.

Other than that though, you were pretty close.

Its no secret I <3 Holmes...but what is the big deal? Did he say anything that isnt true? Is he saying anything that hasnt already been said, that the team didnt already know?

He actually defended Schotty with saying we cant go down field because we dont have the time, which is my biggest gripe with this offense.

I dont know. Dont see how this makes any difference on anything.

Its no secret I <3 Holmes...but what is the big deal? Did he say anything that isnt true? Is he saying anything that hasnt already been said, that the team didnt already know?

He actually defended Schotty with saying we cant go down field because we dont have the time, which is my biggest gripe with this offense.

I dont know. Dont see how this makes any difference on anything.

Not captain material. Lacks guaponess and potential.

Archived