Do these critics still wanna say Sanchez "hasn't improved"?

JetsFanFromQueens

Sanchez inconsistency is what makes him so frustrating, he's like a streaky hitter in baseball.

For all his faults, I am happy to have a young, improving QB.

I will take Sanchez any day of the week after enduring nagle, O'donnell, Brister, Foley, Tupa, Mirer, Lucas, Clemens, Favre, and the never ending saga of Pennington comeback player of the years

The only thing i have consistently seen is that Sanchez's inconsistency rhymes a lot with the inconsistency of the offensive line!

In the Baltimore game he was getting a 1 second pocket if that. There were plays when Ed Reed, Ngata et al just got to Sanchez without any hindrance at all. I wonder how Tom Brady or Drew Brees or Peyton Manning would do with 1 second pockets ?

Yesterday was the best I have seen the offensive line play. Hopefully that continues.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok lets talk about this part of it. Sanchez is improving. the problem is he is not improving from greatness.

Now if Sanchez started like cam newton is and improved from that then we can say he will be sanchize.

As of right now hes improving but already seems to being passed by others.

When Cam Newton wins a playoff football game...scratch that a road playoff football game....scratch that 4 road playoff football games, you let me know.

Sure Mark isn't going to have HOF numbers by the time his career is done but he has proven that he can step up in crunch time and that ability is much harder to find than some dude with a cannon arm. That's not an indictment on Newton either because I actually think he is going to turn into a consistently winning QB sooner than later but lets see it first.

When Cam Newton wins a playoff football game...scratch that a road playoff football game....scratch that 4 road playoff football games, you let me know.

Sure Mark isn't going to have HOF numbers by the time his career is done but he has proven that he can step up in crunch time and that ability is much harder to find than some dude with a cannon arm. That's not an indictment on Newton either because I actually think he is going to turn into a consistently winning QB sooner than later but lets see it first.

I almost hate to say this because I sh*t all over Newton when he was being drafted, but 32 out of 32 GMs would take Newton over Sanchez without even thinking about it.

I almost hate to say this because I sh*t all over Newton when he was being drafted, but 32 out of 32 GMs would take Newton over Sanchez without even thinking about it.

I actually agree with that statement as whole, but that's based on ceilings. Newton's ceiling is this straight up...the next transcendence of QB play. That said let's not forget guys like Daunte Culpepper (Newton's play right now reminds me of Culpeppers peak) and even Vick. Stats don't win championships, having a QB who has the stones to make tough throws in tough situations does. That's where I think Mark excels. That won't show up on a stat sheet necessarily but for all of us who have watched him, there is no doubt he can play under pressure.

Wait until the league has a year of Newton on tape and can make adjustments, then we will know. That said I actually didn't even mean Newton specifically but more generally I'd rather have a guy I know can play in tough situations than one I know can rack up stats in regular season games.

The NFL is all about upside. Its all about seeing a guy physically take over a game and be unstoppable. That is what Newton has going on for him right now. Its the reason why people were more impressed with Stafford as a rookie than Sanchez even though the statistical production was basically equal. Its why the Eagles way overpaid for Mike Vick. The are only a handful of guys like this in the NFL that fit that mold. Sanchez is probably never going to get a chance to ever show if he can be one of them with the way the Jets approach the game.

The NFL is all about upside. Its all about seeing a guy physically take over a game and be unstoppable. That is what Newton has going on for him right now. Its the reason why people were more impressed with Stafford as a rookie than Sanchez even though the statistical production was basically equal. Its why the Eagles way overpaid for Mike Vick. The are only a handful of guys like this in the NFL that fit that mold. Sanchez is probably never going to get a chance to ever show if he can be one of them with the way the Jets approach the game.

Or maybe it's because by the time he could even be unstoppable it would be 2025.

So much for Jason saying the Jets haven't drafted good since the Harris pick of 2007. I strongly disagree.

Sanchez (franchise QB)

Greene (feature back)

Keller (pass catching TE)

Kerley (our slot WR of the future)

McKnight (Leads the league in kick returns)

Slauson (starting LG)

Conner (starting FB)

Wilkerson (starting DE)

Wilson (turning into one hell of a nickel back)

Ellis (Looking like our 3-4 NT of the future, very strong)

Pitoitua (developing into a strong backup defensive lineman)

Dixon (becoming a solid backup) He was actually undrafted.

Guys like Westerman and Cole are also pretty solid backups at OLB and CB.

Sorry, but I can't agree that Tanny hasn't drafted well since the end of 2007. Honestly, we've built our team through the draft. We have a very strong nucleus of young talent. Some of our current starts could end up becoming stars before you know it, especially Sanchez, Keller, McKnight, Wilson, Wilkerson and Ellis. And we all know what Shonn Greene can do with an offensive line creating holes.

If Tanny hasn't drafted good since the Harris pick, I'd like to know 6 GM's who've drafted better. I'll be waiting Jason. I'll also be waiting for the player's that they've drafted...

And why cut it off at 2007? How about we take it back to 2006...

Ferguson. Pro Bowl LT. Has started each and every game since being drafted back in 2006. Sanchez starting as a rookie back in 2009 wouldn't have been possible without Ferguson protecting his blind side.

Mangold. Could become a future HOF center. No doubt about it, the best overall center in today's game.

Revis. Almost a lock for the HOF. Enough said. The greatest Jet of all-time. (Talent wise). Tanny traded up to land this NY legend.

Can't forget about guys such as Brad Smith and Leon either.

I can go on and on in regards to Tanny. To say he's not one of the best GM's in football is insane.

Or maybe it's because by the time he could even be unstoppable it would be 2025.

So much for Jason saying the Jets haven't drafted good since the Harris pick of 2007. I strongly disagree.

Sanchez (franchise QB)

Greene (feature back)

Keller (pass catching TE)

Kerley (our slot WR of the future)

McKnight (Leads the league in kick returns)

Slauson (starting LG)

Conner (starting FB)

Wilkerson (starting DE)

Wilson (turning into one hell of a nickel back)

Ellis (Looking like our 3-4 NT of the future, very strong)

Pitoitua (developing into a strong backup defensive lineman)

Dixon (becoming a solid backup) He was actually undrafted.

Guys like Westerman and Cole are also pretty solid backups at OLB and CB.

Sorry, but I can't agree that Tanny hasn't drafted well since the end of 2007. Honestly, we've built our team through the draft. We have a very strong nucleus of young talent. Some of our current starts could end up becoming stars before you know it, especially Sanchez, Keller, McKnight, Wilson, Wilkerson and Ellis. And we all know what Shonn Greene can do with an offensive line creating holes.

If Tanny hasn't drafted good since the Harris pick, I'd like to know 6 GM's who've drafted better. I'll be waiting Jason. I'll also be waiting for the player's that they've drafted...

And why cut it off at 2007? How about we take it back to 2006...

Ferguson. Pro Bowl LT. Has started each and every game since being drafted back in 2006. Sanchez starting as a rookie back in 2009 wouldn't have been possible without Ferguson protecting his blind side.

Mangold. Could become a future HOF center. No doubt about it, the best overall center in today's game.

Revis. Almost a lock for the HOF. Enough said. The greatest Jet of all-time. (Talent wise). Tanny traded up to land this NY legend.

Can't forget about guys such as Brad Smith and Leon either.

I can go on and on in regards to Tanny. To say he's not one of the best GM's in football is insane.

Being a starter as a draft pick doesn't prove much. Draft picks are routinely given starting jobs. See Conner and Wilkerson. I disagree a bit with Jason about Greene because I think the Jets dumped Jones (I knew they would cut him because his contract was too big, but they could have brought him back at a reduced rate) because they felt Greene could be a starter. He cut it off at Harris because that was probably the last true impact player he drafted that was a bargain where picked. You are also listing free agents - Dixon, Pitoitua, Westerman and Cole weren't drafted.

I think part of the issue is that the team is pretty solid. There is less reason to burn a draft pick on a position where you have solid players, so you make a boom or bust pick like Ducasse. They also seem perfectly happy with low tier FAs at certain positions. It would have probably been pretty easy for Tannenbaum to draft a big blocking TE that would see significant time, but I think those bigger players take longer to develop and the slot can be easily filled with a journeyman (Hartsock) or practice sqaud-er (Mulligan).

I actually agree with that statement as whole, but that's based on ceilings. Newton's ceiling is this straight up...the next transcendence of QB play. That said let's not forget guys like Daunte Culpepper (Newton's play right now reminds me of Culpeppers peak) and even Vick. Stats don't win championships, having a QB who has the stones to make tough throws in tough situations does. That's where I think Mark excels. That won't show up on a stat sheet necessarily but for all of us who have watched him, there is no doubt he can play under pressure.

Wait until the league has a year of Newton on tape and can make adjustments, then we will know. That said I actually didn't even mean Newton specifically but more generally I'd rather have a guy I know can play in tough situations than one I know can rack up stats in regular season games.

I agree with all of this, btw. Jason's as well.

Isn't that a huge swing for such a pedestrian week? Is it because of the TDs?

That and the fact that I think a lot of other QB's had awful weeks. The pick 6 by Sanchez also wasn't totally his fault (though the throw was behind Keller), so FO might have cut him a bit of a break there. Not sure if or how they factor in a ball being stolen from a receiver.

That and the fact that I think a lot of other QB's had awful weeks. The pick 6 by Sanchez also wasn't totally his fault (though the throw was behind Keller), so FO might have cut him a bit of a break there. Not sure if or how they factor in a ball being stolen from a receiver.

I'm fairly certain it was actually ruled as a Keller fumble and not a Sanchez INT, so that wouldn't be counting against him.

I'm fairly certain it was actually ruled as a Keller fumble and not a Sanchez INT, so that wouldn't be counting against him.

I wasn't aware of that. Seemed to me Keller never really had possession and the ball didn't hit the turf, so I thought it was clearly a pick. Oh well, Keller deserves more blame IN THAT INSTANCE, so a fumble is the justifiable result in that sense.

Isn't that a huge swing for such a pedestrian week? Is it because of the TDs?

The offensive ratings are all a bit inflated because of the adjustment they use that counts red zone plays as worth 25% extra and the fact that we're doing so well there this year. Our red zone performance is likely to regress toward our overall performance, which would cause the offensive rating to decline somewhat. DVOA is pretty clear as to the relative strengths and weaknesses of this team. Sanchez, Greene, Keller, the pass protection, and the run defense all grade out somewhere in the ballpark of average, the pass defense and special teams are awesome as always, and the run blocking and wide receivers have been terrible.

I wasn't aware of that. Seemed to me Keller never really had possession and the ball didn't hit the turf, so I thought it was clearly a pick. Oh well, Keller deserves more blame IN THAT INSTANCE, so a fumble is the justifiable result in that sense.

That it didn't hit the turf doesn't really matter, basically it just comes down to whether it was ruled a catch. It was, so anything that happens after that is going to be against Keller. With the bobble, It was certainly close enough that it could have been ruled either way, but since they decided Keller had possession first, it's a fumble.

The offensive ratings are all a bit inflated because of the adjustment they use that counts red zone plays as worth 25% extra and the fact that we're doing so well there this year. Our red zone performance is likely to regress toward our overall performance, which would cause the offensive rating to decline somewhat. DVOA is pretty clear as to the relative strengths and weaknesses of this team. Sanchez, Greene, Keller, the pass protection, and the run defense all grade out somewhere in the ballpark of average, the pass defense and special teams are awesome as always, and the run blocking and wide receivers have been terrible.

It's funny too. Schatz and Tuccito have probably been the only guys out there who've been constant in saying the Jets deserve the benefit of the doubt and that the numbers say we should eventually come around on wins. Been pretty steadfast about it all season actually. I still think this is why Revis is actually the MVP of the league right now.

Yeah, that was ruled a fumble. Sanchez ended up with 3 TDs & 1 INT (the one to Plax). The likely reason it wasn't ruled an INT was because Keller actually possessed the ball. He bobble it, secured it, then lost it.

Last year's horrendous INT calls in the Packers' game was the result of simultaneous possession. That wasn't the case here.

• 2 weeks later...

And yet another solid performance from Sanchez today. This time, he did it against a division rival, on the road, against a Buffalo team that was 4-0 at home this season. Today was a must win.

He made some mistakes, but he finished with a QB rating of 92.9; going 20/28, 230 yards, completion percantage of 71.4%, 1 TD/1 INT, along with an average of 8.21 yards per pass attempt.

Yeah... You Sanchez critics are correct. Sanchez "hasn't improved" as a 3rd year franchise QB. And you Shotty Jr harpers are also correct. Shotty Jr is "holding Sanchez back", despite the fact that Sanchez has improved during each and every year under our OC, along with great postseason numbers.

Archived