Jets sign WR Eron Riley off of Broncos PS

Matt39

Certainly a very interesting pickup. Figured the MTV release was to promote a different guy up from their PS, but it's certainly interesting to see them bring another WR, and particularly not one of their own PS guys, onto the active roster. Sure as hell sounds like the guy has the physical skillset, let's just hope he can put something together, because the Jets sure as hell could use a big, downfield threat.

Dont see how it hurts...I remember a couples of year ago with the Miles Austin rumors. Everyone was like who? Including me. Now look.

Even Victor Cruz from the preseason game last year is now making plays for the Gints. It happens.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have plenty of cap room to sign MSW. We obviously needed a receiver and went for an unknown rather than a young veteran with over 100 catches in the league. I think Jon's point is valid.

there's something odd that MSW would hit the market so quick. Hes not the worst receiver on STL. He's either got playbook or character problems. If something is too good to be true, it usually is...

as for this signing, he's got physical upside and they will try to develop that... I approve.

We have plenty of cap room to sign MSW. We obviously needed a receiver and went for an unknown rather than a young veteran with over 100 catches in the league. I think Jon's point is valid.

As far as I know, we have enough cap room to sign him, but in and of itself that is not enough to indicate that we *ought* to.

You have to look at: how many years he wants, his cost relative to his value, whether that cost is worth it as far as how much it sets us back in future years, what others guys/positions are out there that we would like to fill relative to the cost and value of filling them, whether he would be a good fit for the system, how long it will take him to get up to speed, etc.

Actually, at this point in the year, are all contract supposed to be 1 year contracts? I dunno.

Either way, there's a million factors other than just this year's cap room.

I think its a good move, this guy has blazing speed 6 3", but could he catch? Jets havent had a legit deep threat to stretch

the field since Santana Moss. Cant get too excited about a 1-5 team getting rid of a PS guy, but who knows? They have to try something cause this offense is putrid, that being said I think the Jets are gonna beat the Chargers, maybe the light will go on.

For right now, if we see him at all, he probably is here to take pressure off Holmes. All he will be able to run is fly routes for now. Thing is he will be the #3 WR. Their best CB won't be covering him.

You have to roll a double toward him. He's most likely going to out run your #3 CB. If they don't, you throw him the ball and hope he catches it

If a team has to give extra attention to your #3, that takes pressure off your 1 & 2. Can't hurt

For right now, if we see him at all, he probably is here to take pressure off Holmes. All he will be able to run is fly routes for now. Thing is he will be the #3 WR. Their best CB won't be covering him.

You have to roll a double toward him. He's most likely going to out run your #3 CB. If they don't, you throw him the ball and hope he catches it

If a team has to give extra attention to your #3, that takes pressure off your 1 & 2. Can't hurt

It is an easy read. It is a good counter to the Jets tendency to bunch receivers. That play that Burress had, he was one on one with the corner. I don't think there was safety help, probably because of the fact that all the other Jets were running routes within 10 yards of each other on the right side. If you have a burner you line him up and if the safety stays right you know they are one on one on the left and you heave it up. Obviously, anybody could use this (maybe not Tebow), so if the guy was really good at it he'd be doing it for somebody else. It is something that could help Sanchez because it simplifies things. saftey left look right, if not chuck it up there. It was probably half of my passing offense in Italy

UDFA Balt. Ravans

WR Eron Riley, Duke (6-3, 206)

Riley hasn't received much attention as an NFL prospect coming from Duke, where the football team was 6-41 during his four years on campus. Despite that, he put up some impressive stats the past three years, catching 133 balls for 2,166 yards and 20 touchdowns. But it wasn't until the Duke pro day that Riley really started to create some noise. He blistered his 40 in a time of 4.29 seconds and recorded a 40-inch vertical and an 11-foot, 2-inch broad jump. Duke's struggling pass offense may have masked some of Riley’s big-play capability, but considering he averaged over 20 yards a reception as a sophomore and junior, he definitely has an ability to create big plays at the next level.

He's a solid route runner underneath and does a nice job sinking his hips and exploding into slants post routes. However, he struggles changing directions and has a tendency to get too high and lose his balance when asked to break off routes at 90 degrees. Still, no one can criticize the kid's athletic skill set and vast improvement last year under new head coach David Cutcliffe. Riley is a smart receiver who understands coverages and does a nice job using his big frame to gain initial separation. You can't teach his combination of size and speed, and I expect a team to take a shot on him during the back end of the draft in the hope of turning him into a big-play threat.

I was pretty impressed about Riley and I would definitely take a guy like this in the 5th or 6th round. I would rather go defense and offensive line through the early parts of the draft to add depth and take a chance on project like Riley who sounds a lot like DHB.

It is an easy read. It is a good counter to the Jets tendency to bunch receivers. That play that Burress had, he was one on one with the corner. I don't think there was safety help, probably because of the fact that all the other Jets were running routes within 10 yards of each other on the right side. If you have a burner you line him up and if the safety stays right you know they are one on one on the left and you heave it up. Obviously, anybody could use this (maybe not Tebow), so if the guy was really good at it he'd be doing it for somebody else. It is something that could help Sanchez because it simplifies things. saftey left look right, if not chuck it up there. It was probably half of my passing offense in Italy

Or maybe he hasn't had the chance. Not from a football power house. Probably needed some time to develop. Had a nice preseason, and from the videos posted looks like he can catch the deep ball.

All he has to do for now is catch one or two deep ones, and teams will have to account for him.

Agree with your scheme

I'm not saying that this is the guy, but if he's that fast teams may have trouble rolling the coverage. I'm not talking big production, but I am thinking specifically of Jonathan Carter.

That would be great... Carter caught the only two bombs, Pennington ever threw...

People bitch out Patrick Turner but did this guy ever really get a chance ? I saw one play where they lined him up at TE blocking so..... McKnight has also shown some flashes to at least get a few carries or maybe a few (dare I say it) screens . This team just does not give young players the shot they deserve. Honestly its not like our pitifull offense can play any worse ...I can see guys like McKnight giving us a spark i think now that Kerley is geting some looks he may supply a spark as well.

People bitch out Patrick Turner but did this guy ever really get a chance ? I saw one play where they lined him up at TE blocking so..... McKnight has also shown some flashes to at least get a few carries or maybe a few (dare I say it) screens . This team just does not give young players the shot they deserve. Honestly its not like our pitifull offense can play any worse ...I can see guys like McKnight giving us a spark i think now that Kerley is geting some looks he may supply a spark as well.

In order to get playing time they must perform in practice. Pat Turner stunk in Miami. They brought him here because he was Sanchez's go to guy at USC. He has great size

Even with the Sanchez connection he hasn't been able to perform well enough to get balls thrown to him. Seems like he's just not good enough to play in the NFL

This team has several UDFA playing on it. Some starting. They get a chance, they must perform when they do

Scouting Report;

He's a solid route runner underneath and does a nice job sinking his hips and exploding into slants post routes. However, he struggles changing directions and has a tendency to get too high and lose his balance when asked to break off routes at 90 degrees. Still, no one can criticize the kid's athletic skill set and vast improvement last year under new head coach David Cutcliffe. Riley is a smart receiver who understands coverages and does a nice job using his big frame to gain initial separation. You can't teach his combination of size and speed, and I expect a team to take a shot on him during the back end of the draft in the hope of turning him into a big-play threat.

He lead all Bronco receivers in the preseason...for whatever that means. Scouts say he has "tight" hips and does not run 90 degree routes well. At 4.29 with good hands can't hurt...Good Pick-up.

You know whats funny about this report by the scouts ..... Most burners do have problems with that 90 degree cut and in this case you can use them more on slants and go routes to stretch the defense while they develop the route running skills. Its the main reason why some WR's dont develop into well rounded players for a few years. So he wont be a posession guy, thats cool, because right now thats not what we would need him for. We would need him to attack down field to open things up underneath. Im glad they said he was smart because maybe he will pick up this retarded Shotty offense a little quicker than stupid a$$ Plax who seems lost.

One thing I have noticed about our WR's is they are not very good at running timing routes and they dont seem to be in Sync with Sanchez. This could very well be due to the fact Sanchez simply does not have the time to let the play develop because hes getting pressured on damn near every throw. If thats the case the protection must solidify or we will never get that timing down this season. It probably also has alot to do with Sanchez' limited time working with new WR's and the lack of real traning camp time due to CBA crap.

One thing I have noticed about our WR's is they are not very good at running timing routes and they dont seem to be in Sync with Sanchez. This could very well be due to the fact Sanchez simply does not have the time to let the play develop because hes getting pressured on damn near every throw. If thats the case the protection must solidify or we will never get that timing down this season. It probably also has alot to do with Sanchez' limited time working with new WR's and the lack of real traning camp time due to CBA crap.

Possible, but it's been like that for three years. Some of it has to fall on Sanchez. Probably most.

You know whats funny about this report by the scouts ..... Most burners do have problems with that 90 degree cut and in this case you can use them more on slants and go routes to stretch the defense while they develop the route running skills. Its the main reason why some WR's dont develop into well rounded players for a few years. So he wont be a posession guy, thats cool, because right now thats not what we would need him for. We would need him to attack down field to open things up underneath. Im glad they said he was smart because maybe he will pick up this retarded Shotty offense a little quicker than stupid a$$ Plax who seems lost.

Both holmes and plax to me have never been those traditional timing route runners, like a marvin harrison or reggie wayne. This to me has happened for a few reasons; both holmes and plax played their first few seasons with Big Ben who extended a lot of plays and forced the receivers to break off their routes and create on their own. Plax, never put in the work that a Peyton or Brady would require as he missed tons of practice with the giants and eli would just toss it up to him.

I think holmes could be utilized like that, he just isn't used to doing it and especially not with sanchez.

Some of it has to fall on Sanchez??????? ...... Let's see which receiver has been with him since his Rookie year? Oh Dustin Keller......THATS IT !!!

Take away the two Mangold-LESS games and he is fine. CHANGE,CHANGE,CHANGE We the JETS cannot keep changing Head Coaches, QB's, Rb's, O'linemen, D'lineman and everyone else at the first sign of somthing going a little wrong----stay the course.

Possible, but it's been like that for three years. Some of it has to fall on Sanchez. Probably most.

No doubt some has to fall on Sanchez, but keep in mind, since the kid came into the league hes had to deal with different WR's each year In his first year he had Braylon show up in week 4 and the same with Santonio the following year, then this year hes had to deal with 3 new receivers one of which is a rookie now just starting to break into the line up and an O-line that has major issues stopping the pass rush and the Blitz. I think thats a lot to ask of a kid trying to adapt to the NFL game. Most of your "great" Qb's dont have to deal with this much at all we have all seen Both Brady and Manning wilt under the pass rush as well namely to our Jets last year. I would think If Sanchez came into the league with good solid WR talent that did not change year in and year out and he was still dealing with the same guys now we would be seeing a much different story on the field or at the very least it would tell us is it "him" is it the "system" (shotty) or do our WR's just simply suck a$$ and we expect too much to begin with. LOL who can figure out this mess when we have so many variables. If another OC came in here we might see changes all the way around for the better who knows man. In the current state I cringe watching our offense and even when they do have a great drive you know the next 3 or 4 will be 3 and outs and its enough to dirve ya nuts.

Some of it has to fall on Sanchez??????? ...... Let's see which receiver has been with him since his Rookie year? Oh Dustin Keller......THATS IT !!!

Take away the two Mangold-LESS games and he is fine. CHANGE,CHANGE,CHANGE We the JETS cannot keep changing Head Coaches, QB's, Rb's, O'linemen, D'lineman and everyone else at the first sign of somthing going a little wrong----stay the course.

Change has been whats hurt us NO DOUBT. Unfortunately since we decided to bring in geriatric WR's we will have to get one or 2 soild ones in here next year (Hopefully Young) One FA and one through the draft that Sanchez can finally grow with. Santonio and Kerley should be solid but I think we need a true Number 1 Im not sure if Santonio is that true number 1 Some will argue he is, some will argue he is not, but me Im just on the fence with him.

Both holmes and plax to me have never been those traditional timing route runners, like a marvin harrison or reggie wayne. This to me has happened for a few reasons; both holmes and plax played their first few seasons with Big Ben who extended a lot of plays and forced the receivers to break off their routes and create on their own. Plax, never put in the work that a Peyton or Brady would require as he missed tons of practice with the giants and eli would just toss it up to him.

I think holmes could be utilized like that, he just isn't used to doing it and especially not with sanchez.

I think we just have to face the fact Mason and Plax were the wrong moves. Mason has already proven to be the wrong move and Plax is here for the duration of the year because we paid him 3 mil guaranteed. next year we better pay close attention to the WR group in the draft and in FA and get some young guys in here that can grow with the team hopefully under a new Offensive coordinator. if we dont do this i think we will be in for more of the same crap we have delt with for 10 years no matter what management or coaching staff we're talking about they have all employed the same damning offensive philosophy which has been total fail.

Archived