Was it Mangold the whole time?

JerryK

First, I'm not posting as an expert...I'm probably wrong. Hopefully you guys can educate me a bit.

Below is our schedule. I see Mangold's injury being 90% of our trouble. ..and his return makes me expect a full turnaround as we move forward. Am I the only one who sees this?

Date Opponent Time/Result

Sep 11 Dallas Won 27-24

Sep 18 Jacksonville Won 32-3
MANGOLD HURT

Sep 25 @Oakland Lost 24-34

Oct 2 @Baltimore Lost 17-34

Oct 9 @New England Lost 21-30 (our D gives up 30+, but were they just tired?)

Oct 17 Miami Won 24-6

MANGOLD RETURNS
Oct 23 San Diego Won 27-21

Week 8 BYE

During the 3 losses, we heard about our bad defense, and Sanchez needing to improve. After Sunday (hello Mr Mangold) We're reading in the media about Sanchez' great improvement! How about that?!

So what am I not seeing here? I just can't get into the discussions about other players or the Defense, because I see a trashed OL having caused it during those 3 games.

Love the guy, but he had a couple critical penalties against San Diego. One that took Holmes' awesome TD catch off the board and resulted in an interception soon after. That was a huge swing.

The holding penalties -to me- suggest he's still not too close to 100%. Hopefully the week off does him good.

First, I'm not posting as an expert...I'm probably wrong. Hopefully you guys can educate me a bit.

Below is our schedule. I see Mangold's injury being 90% of our trouble. ..and his return makes me expect a full turnaround as we move forward. Am I the only one who sees this?

Sep 11 Dallas Won 27-24

MANGOLD HURT

Oct 17 Miami Won 24-6

MANGOLD RETURNS

Week 8 BYE

During the 3 losses, we heard about our bad defense, and Sanchez needing to improve. After Sunday (hello Mr Mangold) We're reading in the media about Sanchez' great improvement! How about that?!

So what am I not seeing here? I just can't get into the discussions about other players or the Defense, because I see a trashed OL having caused it during those 3 games.

Having a great player like Mangold out there does help significantly, but there is always more to the success or failure of a team than just one player.

I would love to believe we will continue to improve, get a playoff spot, and actually accomplish something this year other than making a AFC championship game. Would love to believe. But I cant. Too many other areas of this team is still not good enough to consistently win. I hope Im wrong.

I wonder how close to 100% Moore was at the beginning of the season? He had surgery in the offseason and I think this was a factor. Add in Wayne Hunter having a slow start and there are several issues. But having Mangold at the Center of that line does help...

I wonder how close to 100% Moore was at the beginning of the season? He had surgery in the offseason and I think this was a factor. Add in Wayne Hunter having a slow start and there are several issues. But having Mangold at the Center of that line does help...

This 100%

Mangold's absence was a big factor, along with Moore's recuperation from surgery, and Hunter's general early suckage BUT something else is a factor, which just came to light.

According to Cimini, the Jets changed their blocking scheme. They no longer rely on zone and are essentially going man-to-man. Note that Ducasse was in to block for some runs and he did fine. It may be that with the injuries, Hunter's suckage and Vlad's cluelessness, zone blocking wasn't ideal. Remember we saw situations in prior games where Olineman were letting defenders go by them, obviously confused as to who had what.

Now with a more traditional blocking scheme, that has (at least for now) been eliminated.

Mangold's absence was a big factor, along with Moore's recuperation from surgery, and Hunter's general early suckage BUT something else is a factor, which just came to light.

According to Cimini, the Jets changed their blocking scheme. They no longer rely on zone and are essentially going man-to-man. Note that Ducasse was in to block for some runs and he did fine. It may be that with the injuries, Hunter's suckage and Vlad's cluelessness, zone blocking wasn't ideal. Remember we saw situations in prior games where Olineman were letting defenders go by them, obviously confused as to who had what.

Now with a more traditional blocking scheme, that has (at least for now) been eliminated.

This. Our early struggles IMO were all about the OL. I've never been concerned about the D...only that they were on the field way too often. It was a perfect storm. Mangold hurt, Moore not fully recovered and Hunter playing the role of the worst Tackle in the league...with a tough road stretch vs. some stout DLines...I had no faith in the team at that point.

They are coming into their own. Its like Brandon Moore said the other day, "it looks and feels like a new season". They are starting to look like the team we were expecting.

Interesting. So will they KEEP the scheme (one would hope), or consider it temporary and go back to zone?

B moore missed all of camp with a hip injury, and hunter was playing like a deer int the headlights, I think the running game just took time

also, someone said the jets went away from a zone scheme to more of a downhill one on one scheme vs the chargers (tom moore's influence ?)

I don't think Mangold's injury was the reason for the general struggles in the running game, but it is probably a huge part of the implosion against the Ravens.

Simms mentioned it during the game. I was surprised that more people didn't jump on it, but hopefully that's a big part of it.

Sep 11 Dallas Won 27-24

MANGOLD HURT

Oct 17 Miami Won 24-6

MANGOLD RETURNS

Week 8 BYE

We have two newbees on the line. Mangold is really able to assist slauson. When he was out we had a situation where there's no one to help slauson, you put in a fresh Center just signed and you have hunter on the right.

Mangold's injury showed the lack of depth at the offensive line. If Mangold wasnt the best C in the league we'd be in deep trouble. We need to make sure that we can win games in bunches. I think his high ankle sprain is going to be an issue thoughout the year. We need to figure out ways to get a solid lead and get him out of the game as early as possible.

But yes, Mangold is a beast and our O-line without him will look like the Texans O-line during Carr's rookie year.

While Mangold is probably our 2nd best player, the offense sucked against Dallas and actually overcame two huge Mangold penalties to beat SD due to a big assist from Rivers and Norv Turner. I would never want to go without Mangold but our issues on offense was the line as a whole. Another thing I notice is that Sanchez since the Raven game at times is rushing things.

While Mangold is probably our 2nd best player, the offense sucked against Dallas and actually overcame two huge Mangold penalties to beat SD due to a big assist from Rivers and Norv Turner. I would never want to go without Mangold but our issues on offense was the line as a whole. Another thing I notice is that Sanchez since the Raven game at times is rushing things.

I think that's by design. That's what the whole horn drill is about. The ******* guy was holding it too long. Hopefully he'll find a happy medium.

Interesting - but as a Husker fan I'll never give any credit to Callahan...

• 2 weeks later...

After much consideration, I've decided that yes, it was Manold.

He's good, and now everything else that's good works again. Now the analysts can scratch their heads and say the (pick some non-OL part of the team) has finally 'gelled'. Nick, if you and any of your boys ever visit these boards (and hopefully you have much better things to do), know that some of us appreciate your contribution, and what this team does with and without you. peace.

Archived