Our run defense hasn't been as bad as most people think.

JetsFanFromQueens

It's no secret that we were beyond atrocious against the Raiders, but to use that Raiders game as a clear cut indicator, on how our run defensive has performed thus far, wouldn't be close to being accurate in overall judgement.

Outside of the Raiders disaster, we've allowed an average of 109 yards per game against the Cowboys, Jaguars, Ravens, Patriots, Dolphins and Chargers; which would rank 13th in terms of average yards allowed per game against the run. But because of the Raiders game, we're currently ranked 25th.

As of right now, the Jets currently rank 15th allowing 4.2 yards per carry. But outside of the Raiders debacle, we've only allowed 3.6 yards per carry; which would rank 5th behind only Seattle, Cincinnati, Baltimore and San Fran.

Obviously we have alot of work to do against the run, starting with Fred Jackson and the Bills come 1:00 today, but we aren't as "horrible" against the run as most overreacting fans have made it out to seem.

Yes, we got destroyed against the Raiders, but because of one game (out of 7), our numbers against the run have been severely skewed, because once again, against the Cowboys, Jaguars, Ravens, Patriots, Dolphins and Chargers we've only allowed 3.6 yards per carry. Which is actually pretty good.

We've held the Cowboys to only 64 yards rushing off of 26 attempts. An average of only 2.5 yards per carry. We held Jones-Drew to only 88 rushing yards and 0 TD's. Yes, the Ravens rushed for 112 yards, but they also rushed the football 40 times for an average of only 2.8 yards per carry. Ray Rice was held to only 66 rushing yards off of 25 carries, which is only an average of 2.6 yards per carry. We also held the Chargers, who were ranked I believe 3rd in rushing heading into the game, to only 96 yards rushing off of 25 carries, which is only an average of 3.8 yards per carry.

Raiders Game = Doesn't count in judging the Jets run Defense.

Baltimore Game = Doesn't count in judging Mark Sanchez.

Anything else I should know about before generating an opinion on this team?

Try and think of the Jets as your 4 year old daughter..

• Upvote 3

It's no secret that we were beyond atrocious against the Raiders, but to use that Raiders game as a clear cut indicator, on how our run defensive has performed thus far, wouldn't be close to being accurate in overall judgement.

Outside of the Raiders disaster, we've allowed an average of 109 yards per game against the Cowboys, Jaguars, Ravens, Patriots, Dolphins and Chargers; which would rank 13th in terms of average yards allowed per game against the run. But because of the Raiders game, we're currently ranked 25th.

As of right now, the Jets currently rank 15th allowing 4.2 yards per carry. But outside of the Raiders debacle, we've only allowed 3.6 yards per carry; which would rank 5th behind only Seattle, Cincinnati, Baltimore and San Fran.

Obviously we have alot of work to do against the run, starting with Fred Jackson and the Bills come 1:00 today, but we aren't as "horrible" against the run as most overreacting fans have made it out to seem.

Yes, we got destroyed against the Raiders, but because of one game (out of 7), our numbers against the run have been severely skewed, because once again, against the Cowboys, Jaguars, Ravens, Patriots, Dolphins and Chargers we've only allowed 3.6 yards per carry. Which is actually pretty good.

We've held the Cowboys to only 64 yards rushing off of 26 attempts. An average of only 2.5 yards per carry. We held Jones-Drew to only 88 rushing yards and 0 TD's. Yes, the Ravens rushed for 112 yards, but they also rushed the football 40 times for an average of only 2.8 yards per carry. Ray Rice was held to only 66 rushing yards off of 25 carries, which is only an average of 2.6 yards per carry. We also held the Chargers, who were ranked I believe 3rd in rushing heading into the game, to only 96 yards rushing off of 25 carries, which is only an average of 3.8 yards per carry.

I think the only problem with this reasoning is the assumption that other teams haven't likewise had bad games that brought down (or in this case "up") their average.

Factor that in, take away other team's worst game, and see where we rank then. That might be interesting.

The Sanchez thing is great debate for another thread. But the Oakland point that was made here is a very good one. It throws the stats off because they were so bad in that game.

I think the only problem with this reasoning is the assumption that other teams haven't likewise had bad games that brought down (or in this case "up") their average.

Factor that in, take away other team's worst game, and see where we rank then. That might be interesting.

I understand what you're saying, but the bottom line is this... Outside of the Raiders game, we've allowed 3.6 yards per carry against the Cowboys, Jaguars, Ravens, Patriots, Dolphins and Chargers. I'm not "eliminating" that Raiders disaster, I'm simply looking at what we've done 6 out of 7 games. Regardless of where we rank amongst other teams, an average of 3.6 yards per carry against is very good. Not great, but very good.

We've been great against the pass and we've also done a stout job in regards to putting pressure on opposing QB's. If we can improve our run defense from here on out... We could feature a great defense.

Lets start with Fred Jackson and the Bills. Hold Fred Jackson under 70 yards rushing and our run defense is heading in the right dirrection.

I understand what you're saying, but the bottom line is this... Outside of the Raiders game, we've allowed 3.6 yards per carry against the Cowboys, Jaguars, Ravens, Patriots, Dolphins and Chargers. I'm not "eliminating" that Raiders disaster, I'm simply looking at what we've done 6 out of 7 games. Regardless of where we rank amongst other teams, an average of 3.6 yards per carry against is very good. Not great, but very good.

We've been great against the pass and we've also done a stout job in regards to putting pressure on opposing QB's. If we can improve our run defense from here on out... We could feature a great defense.

Lets start with Fred Jackson and the Bills. Hold Fred Jackson under 70 yards rushing and our run defense is heading in the right dirrection.

But what he's saying is that you are taking away our worst game and than comparing that to every other teams games, which include their worst game as well. Take away every other team's worst performance against the run and than average us into that and see where we fall, that'd be much more telling.

The Sanchez thing is great debate for another thread. But the Oakland point that was made here is a very good one. It throws the stats off because they were so bad in that game.

Ok, how about the fact that New England, who beats no one on the ground, beat us on the ground... With ease.

Generally I am not a big fan of the whole "throw out the bad game" argument, but in the Raiders case there is some validity IMO. They beat us on three long runs and they were all wide and sort of busted plays. A reverse, a busted halfback pass and one wide run that went for crazy yards. I wouldn't throw the game out, but when considering our D I don't think it was representative. Same with the Pats. They didn't exactly tear us up, but they were able to run against our pass defense. The D hasn't been as stout as the last couple of years, but they haven't had teams running up the gut either. I am not worried about some power running team coming in and overpowering our front 7.

One interesting factor, I know everybody has been complaining about Westerman not setting the edge. I don't think that has been the case and most of the damage was done before Thomas got hurt. Westerman hasn't played well and I saw Mauga on the field in the Chargers game and before Harris went down. In today's Post Costello mentions that Mauga was playing some OLB. They gave him snaps there because he looked good doing it on the scout team. I think Pettine said that the only knock on Mauga has been that he gets hurt. It will be interesting to see if he gets much run at OLB or even starts.

• 2 weeks later...

The Jets no longer ranked 25th against the run. We're ranked 15th in rushing yards allowed per game, and we're ranked top 10 in terms of average yards per carry against. Our run defense has been much improved over the past 4 weeks, we'll shut down Tebow tonight, and it's only a matter of time before we're ranked top 5-10 against the run.

I look at it a bit differently...Sunday night we were up 9-6.....there was 1:22 left on the clock before halftime...ball is on the Pats 20.....where was the defense?

If the defense makes a stop, we would probably be having a completely different discussion since.

Neither Pats game counts in any overall evaluation of the Jets.

Games played during full moons during months with only 30 days count twice.

The real test on whether the JETS have solidified their run defense will be tonite. If they hold up to the test, stats be damned, it will send a message to the rest of the teams in the league.

Yes, shutting down Denver's run game would prove what I've said for weeks on end now (as most Jet fans were mocking our run defense, as if we're some laughing stock run defense), that we're a much improved run defense when compared to our first 5 games of the season. More like two games I should say.

But the fact of the matter is this, plenty of Jet fans blasted our run defense during the first 5 weeks (because of two bad games), and it's just sad that the same Jet fans, who harped all over the Jets run defense, have became the same fans who have refused to admit that we've been stout against the run over the past 4 games. If the Jets make you that unhappy, where you harp over the bad and ignore the good; then stop watching. NE rushed the football 28 times on Sunday for only 60 yards, which is only an average of 2.1 yards per carry. No mention of that. No love for an improving run defense that's played lights out during our 3-1 record over the past 4 games. It's just funny watching Jet fans attack our run defense because of 2 games, while refusing to admit that our run defense has been very strong this season (outside of two games). It's also pathetic watching Jet fans kill the Jets run defense for weeks on end, because of a bad performance against NE during week 5, but then become silent as a lamb after we just held NE to an average of only 2.1 yards per carry. Ignore em when they're good/kick em while they're down. Some fans.

We lost the NE game on Sunday, but it wasn't because of our run defense, and it's sad watching Jet fans act as if Tim Tebow is on the verge of rushing for 120+ against our defense. Have they NOT seen our run defense perform this season?

Edited by JetsFanFromQueens

Yes, shutting down Denver's run game would prove what I've said for weeks on end now (as most Jet fans were mocking our run defense, as if we're some laughing stock run defense), that we're a much improved run defense when compared to our first 5 games of the season. More like two games I should say.

But the fact of the matter is this, plenty of Jet fans blasted our run defense during the first 5 weeks (because of two bad games), and it's just sad that the same Jet fans, who harped all over the Jets run defense, have became the same fans who have refused to admit that we've been stout against the run over the past 4 games. If the Jets make you that unhappy, where you harp over the bad and ignore the good; then stop watching. NE rushed the football 28 times on Sunday for only 60 yards, which is only an average of 2.1 yards per carry. No mention of that. No love for an improving run defense that's played lights out during our 3-1 record over the past 4 games. It's just funny watching Jet fans attack our run defense because of 2 games, while refusing to admit that our run defense has been very strong this season (outside of two games). It's also pathetic watching Jet fans kill the Jets run defense for weeks on end, because of a bad performance against NE during week 5, but then become silent as a lamb after we just held NE to an average of only 2.1 yards per carry.

We lost the NE game on Sunday, but it wasn't because of our run defense, and it's sad watching Jet fans act as if Tim Tebow is on the verge of rushing for 120+ against our defense. Have they NOT seen our run defense perform this season?

The blasting was very deserved.

In the past 4 weeks the only RB of note that we have stopped is Fred Jackson. And that game the JETS played great on defense for the first time the entire season.

Today is really a litmus test if that performance was a fluke or we have actually fixed the problem.

We lost the NE game on Sunday, but it wasn't because of our run defense,

In a way we did lose partly due to our porous run defense the 1st time we faced the pats. I'm sure our lousy run defense changed the way we gameplanned against them the 2nd time.

Talk all the stats you want guys, the fact is we just don't know what Jet team will show up. Unfortunately, we know they'll show up with Schotty

:Loveheart:

Dallas- 26 for 64-2.5avg

Jacksonville- 27 for 112- 4.1 avg

Oakland-32 for 234-7.3 avg

Ravens- 40 for 112- 2.8 avg

Pats- 35 for 152 4.3 avg

Miami- 25 for 118-4.7 avg

SD- 25 for 96- 3.8 avg

Buffalo- 22 for 96- 4.4 avg

Pats- 28 for 60-2.1 avg

so.... we've had

2 very good run defense games- Dallas- Pats game 2

1 good game- San Diego

5 average games- Jacksonville/Pats1/Miami/Buffalo/Ravens (they kicked our a$$- 16 rushes in 4th Q, 3 of them kneel-down)

1 a$$ kicking- Oakland

Have they been bad? Nope. Just average.

Edited by Lil Bit Special