Our run defense has came on strong over the past couple weeks.

JetsFanFromQueens

Heading into our bye week, we held Mathews, Tolbert and the Chargers rushing attack to only 96 yards rushing off of 25 carries. That's an average of only 3.8 yards per carry, which is impressive, especially considering the fact that San Diego ranked top 10 in rushing at the time, averaging 122.8 rush yards per game heading into our week 7 matchup against the Chargers. Our front 7 also held Ryan Mathews to only 26 receiving yards coming out of the backfield, which is impressive, considering the fact that Mathews averaged 52.2 yards off of receptions during SD's first 5 weeks heading into our week 7 matchup.

Coming out of our bye week, we just held Buffalo's offensive rushing attack, which ranked 6th heading into Sunday, averaging 140.5 rush yards per game, to only 96 yards rushing. Which was very impressive, especially considering the fact that we just held the NFL's leading rusher, in Fred Jackson, who averaged 103 yards per game heading into yesterday's matchup... to only 82 yards rushing. We also held Fred Jackson to only 38 receiving yards coming out of the backfield, which is impressive, considering the fact that Fred Jackson averaged 50.4 off of receptions during Buffalo's first 7 weeks heading into our week 9 matchup.

Not only have the Jets held two teams in San Diego and Buffalo, both whom ranked top 10 in rushing heading into our respected matchups to under 100 yards rushing over the past two weeks, but our front 7 has also done an outstanding job in regards to containing two dual-threat types of backs in Mathews and Jackson over the past two games.

What's made these defensive performances 'that much more impressive', is the fact that our front 7 has done this without both DeVito and Ellis (who left early on against the Chargers).

In 2009 we ranked 8th in run defense, allowing 98.6 rush yards per game, while ranking 4th, only allowing 3.8 yards per carry. Last season we ranked 3rd against the run, allowing 90.9 rush yards per game, while ranking 3rd, only allowing 3.6 yards per carry.

Yes, we've seen our run defense struggle against both Oakland and New England, but we've also seen plenty of promise with this run defense. I've already gone over both SD and Buffalo games, but we shouldn't forget (all because of two bad games against Oakland and NE) how our run defense has performed against the Cowboys, Jaguars and Ravens either. We held Dallas only 64 rushing yards off an average of only 2.5 yards per carry. We held an elite back in Jones-Drew to only 88 yards rushing, and we also held the Ravens to only 112 yards rushing. Which is impressive, especially considering the fact that Baltimore rushed the football 40 times, which is only an average of 2.8 yards per carry. An elite back, such as Ray Rice, was limited to only 66 rush yards of off 25 carries, which is an average of only 2.6 yards per carry.

But yet, all I've heard from negative critics in regards to our run defense, is how "horrible we've been against the run", all because of "ranking" after only 8 weeks into the season. As if we're watching some type of "laughing stock defense" against the run.

Over the past two games we've started to see our front 7 come into it's own, and if this trend continues... We'll see our defense completely shut down opposing offenses, due to our pass defense, which is 2nd to none. Opposing quarterbacks have only averaged QB ratings of 59.4 against this defense. That's scary good. Continue to improve against the run, and we could be on the verge of witnessing a legendary defense.

Its a championship caliber defense and I've felt that way even through the sh*tty games.

I forget what show I was watching, but they were claiming the Packers had the best secondary in the league and I couldnt figure it out of the life of me. How can you even begin to make a case against the Jets? I mean, I know the Packers do create a lot of turnovers and take a lot of them to the house, but they give up a lot of yard and a lot of TDs. Dont get it.

And the run game is fine. DMC was an anomaly. And the Law Firm was running against our coverage units.

Its a championship caliber defense and I've felt that way even through the sh*tty games.

I forget what show I was watching, but they were claiming the Packers had the best secondary in the league and I couldnt figure it out of the life of me. How can you even begin to make a case against the Jets? I mean, I know the Packers do create a lot of turnovers and take a lot of them to the house, but they give up a lot of yard and a lot of TDs. Dont get it.

And the run game is fine. DMC was an anomaly. And the Law Firm was running against our coverage units.

Granted they shut us out last year but the Packers defense sucks.

Archived