What the Cubs Should Do Since They Want to Make Noise

With the Epstein/Hoyer/McLeon FO in place and some freed up money from contracts, as well as a badass owner named Tomm, the Cubs are ready to make some noise. How much noise, you ask?

POSSIBLY something like this:

Hire Mike Maddux as manager. Hire Bobby Valentine as his bench coach, Willie Randolph as the 3B and IF coach, keep Rudy, and Mike Harkey/Pat Hetgen as the pitching coach (unless Greg Maddux actually wanted the job).

Trade:

CF Marlon Byrd and RHP Randy Wells to the Rangers for LHP Michael Kirkman and RHP Luke Jackson.

Carlos Zambrano, Alfonso Soriano, and Carlos Marmol (plus cash) to the Marlins for Logan Morrison, Chad James, and Matt Dominguez. (The Marlins load up with Aramis Ramirez, Zambrano, Soriano, Johnson, Stanton, Marmol, the Cuban CF I'm predicting them to sign Cepedos, Volstad, and so on. They play the antagonist for the Cubs in the playoffs again next year, taking it all the way to a Game 7. THAT IS ALL YOU WILL GET.

Sign:

Albert Pujols - 8 years/250 million

Yu Darvish - 40 million posting - 5 years/80 million

Grady Sizemore - 2 years/9-10 million with incentives to the 12-15 range

Jon Broxton - 1 year/cheap

Joe Nathan - 2 years/7 million with incentives

Ryan Ludwick - 1 year/cheap

Aaron Hill - 1 year/4 million

Erik Bedard - 1 year/8 million with club option for 2nd year at 12 million

Team:

1B - Albert Pujols

2B - DJ MF'N LEMAHIEU OK OR Aaron Hill...probably Aaron Hill

SS - Starlin Castro

3B - Matt Dominguez; possibly LeMaheiu

RF - Ludwick/Colvin

CF - Sizemore

LF - Logan Morrison

Rotation:

Garza

Dempster

Darvish

Bedard/Kirkman

Cashner/Shark

Bullpen:

Nathan

Marshall

Broxton

Cashner

Shark

Kirkman

Russell

Carpenter

Etc...basically there's arms there.

I'm just saying...that'd be pretty badass.

I'm sure Hoyer and Theo are kicking themselves for handing AGone to Boston right now

Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder at FAs. I OFTEN forget how little Yankee fans know about the rest of the baseball world...

Edited by SenorGato
  • Upvote 1

I don't think we're going to be able to move Soriano's contract, much less to a team as thrifty as the Marlins. I seriously doubt we'll be able to move all our bad contracts onto one team unless we eat 99% of it.

I'd also rather get Fielder than Pujols based on their respective ages. I don't want another Soriano situation ever.

Also, what about Jackson? Think I'd rather see what the kid has instead of blocking him with Sizemore.

Edited by The Troll

I don't think we're going to be able to move Soriano's contract, much less to a team as thrifty as the Marlins. I seriously doubt we'll be able to move all our bad contracts onto one team unless we eat 99% of it.

I'd also rather get Fielder than Pujols based on their respective ages. I don't want another Soriano situation ever.

Also, what about Jackson? Think I'd rather see what the kid has instead of blocking him with Sizemore.

Albert Pujols >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>....there aren't enough >>>>>in the world to express this but, he's better than Alfonso Soriano.

I'm meh on Brett Jackson. He K's too much, and didn't exactly kick a$$ and take names last year.

Albert Pujols >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>....there aren't enough >>>>>in the world to express this but, he's better than Alfonso Soriano.

I'm meh on Brett Jackson. He K's too much, and didn't exactly kick a$$ and take names last year.

I'm not comparing Pujols and Soriano talent-wise, but unless they start looking the other way with steroids again, I don't want any part of a 40-year old Albert Pujols at $30 million a year.

I'm not comparing Pujols and Soriano talent-wise, but unless they start looking the other way with steroids again, I don't want any part of a 40-year old Albert Pujols at $30 million a year.

You don't want the best player in the game and a historically elite player because in 8+ years he'll be 40 and will cost alot? Iunno man...being great comes with risks, and Albert Pujols is the kind of talent you take the risks on.

You don't want the best player in the game and a historically elite player because in 8+ years he'll be 40 and will cost alot? Iunno man...being great comes with risks, and Albert Pujols is the kind of talent you take the risks on.

I don't want him because in three years, he'll be 35 and we'd still owe him $150 million.

I would be willing to bet that Pujols will be in better shape at 40 than Fielder will be at 36.

I'm willing to bet that he'll be a better player from 36-40 than most are from 28-32.

OK that might be a little extreme, but in Pujols' case not so much so...

And he'll still probably be a pretty awesome hitter.

I don't like the idea of paying Pujols $125 million in his age 36-40 seasons. I'm against paying anyone that old that much coin.

Fielder to me has a better chance for long-term success. By the time his contract ran up, he'd only be a couple years into his decline, rather than 6.

I agree.

I doubt Theo makes too many big moves short of maybe Fielder or Pujols.

Unlike the Sox almost a decade ago, he is not inheriting a good team , but a mess.

He will move what he can without having to bend over too much.

Go into next season and move what he can in the hopes of entering the 2012 off season with some cash to spend.

This team will not be good until 2013 at the earliest.

I don't like the idea of paying Pujols $125 million in his age 36-40 seasons. I'm against paying anyone that old that much coin.

Fielder to me has a better chance for long-term success. By the time his contract ran up, he'd only be a couple years into his decline, rather than 6.

I love the idea of having Pujols for his 31-whatever seasons.

Fielder to me is younger, but I don't think he's got the better chance for long term success. Maybe if we were talking about someone who isn't Albert Pujols, who I have alot of trouble believing is going to suck or heavily decline during most of his contract. Sure he'll heavily decline relative to Albert Pujols, but relative to the mortals who play the game he dominates it won't be so bad...I could see multiple 5 WAR seasons in his future with a couple 4's and/or 3's at the end, which I'd be fine with. Pujols will get what he deserves on the FA market because he's extremely high end stuff here.

Edited by SenorGato

I agree.

I doubt Theo makes too many big moves short of maybe Fielder or Pujols.

Unlike the Sox almost a decade ago, he is not inheriting a good team , but a mess.

He will move what he can without having to bend over too much.

Go into next season and move what he can in the hopes of entering the 2012 off season with some cash to spend.

This team will not be good until 2013 at the earliest.

1. He's got plenty of cash to spend now.

2. The Cubs are only a mess to the far off eye who hit panic mode a long time ago. Yes, there's mucho worko to do, but 1. he doesn't have to touch the bullpen too much, 2. the farm system is full of role players so bench players won't be too much of an issue, and 3. there's even stars or quality starters that are still young in Castro (a possible star maybe even superstar) and Soto (a quality starting C). There's plenty there to be built on, it's just a matter of building on it rather than sitting back on it.

With the Cubs' resources there's no reason I can't see us competing in that crap division next year...particularly since Fielder/Pujols will probably be leaving their respective current teams...

1. He's got plenty of cash to spend now.

2. The Cubs are only a mess to the far off eye who hit panic mode a long time ago. Yes, there's mucho worko to do, but 1. he doesn't have to touch the bullpen too much, 2. the farm system is full of role players so bench players won't be too much of an issue, and 3. there's even stars or quality starters that are still young in Castro (a possible star maybe even superstar) and Soto (a quality starting C). There's plenty there to be built on, it's just a matter of building on it rather than sitting back on it.

With the Cubs' resources there's no reason I can't see us competing in that crap division next year...particularly since Fielder/Pujols will probably be leaving their respective current teams...

The Cubs have always had cash to spend, but it does not mean they always spend it or spend it well

Or that Theo spends it all that well. He has done well in some regards but f'd up badly in other regards.

The Sox were a mess and still contended for playoff spot up until about 1205 am on the day after the last day of the season. The Cubs were 20 games under .500 in arguably the worst division in baseball.

The Cubs have massively underachieved the last two years or three years for that matter. In theory, they can only get better, but I think Theo takes his time and targets 2 years from now.

While I agree the division is ripe for the taken, I do not think Pujols goes anywhere because there is not anywhere to go. I would suspect Prince becomes Prince of Chicago and Pujols take what he can get from St. Louis.

I'm sure Hoyer and Theo are kicking themselves for handing AGone to Boston right now

prince fielder is out there and i'm sure the yankees wouldnt mind trading tex's .250 average to the cubbies if they could sign Fielder to replace him lol

The Cubs have always had cash to spend, but it does not mean they always spend it or spend it well

1 - Well they totally did spend the cash as their payroll this year was over 130 million.

2 - They're losing about 50 million of that payroll this year.

3 - Spending money better is kind of why they want and got who they got to run baseball operations. You're speaking of the Cubs' spending money as if the Cubs are an entity themselves, which they are not.

Or that Theo spends it all that well. He has done well in some regards but f'd up badly in other regards.

Lackey and...??? What, one bad year of Crawford and suddenly he's that player?

The Sox were a mess and still contended for playoff spot up until about 1205 am on the day after the last day of the season. The Cubs were 20 games under .500 in arguably the worst division in baseball.

OK so the Cubs are in arguably the worst division in baseball...they have the ability to hold a payroll higher than anyone else in that bad division...the two best teams in the division are likely to lose their biggest bats.....the Cubs are amongst the biggest suitors for one of those two bats....I'm REALLY going to buy that this team can't turn it around quickly?

The Cubs have massively underachieved the last two years or three years for that matter. In theory, they can only get better, but I think Theo takes his time and targets 2 years from now.

While I agree the division is ripe for the taken, I do not think Pujols goes anywhere because there is not anywhere to go. I would suspect Prince becomes Prince of Chicago and Pujols take what he can get from St. Louis.

So then...what?

prince fielder is out there and i'm sure the yankees wouldnt mind trading tex's .250 average to the cubbies if they could sign Fielder to replace him lol

I'd do that trade. I'm not too much of a believer in this whole supposed decline of Teixeira...I doubt that BABIP sits at .239 like it did last year.