Eric Smith

Irish Jet

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's so ******* bad. I hate that guy with a passion.

the definition of insanity is doing the same exact thing over and over again and expecting different results.eric smith is no match for gronkowski.yet,he was matched up with him all game long.imo,jim leonard is the real problem.not half the player that smith is

the definition of insanity is doing the same exact thing over and over again and expecting different results.eric smith is no match for gronkowski.yet,he was matched up with him all game long.imo,jim leonard is the real problem.not half the player that smith is

Are you ******* serious? Nobody is half the player that Smith is. Smith is one of the worst players in the NFL.

Are you ******* serious? Nobody is half the player that Smith is. Smith is one of the worst players in the NFL.

smith is a player.he is just not a safety.he is a hybrid.so why do the jets constantly have him in single coverage knowing he just doesnt have the speed?why do you think leonard doesnt get burned that often?because he hardly is in the same coverage as smith.

I dont know why the hell he is captain....I really do not want to see him on this team next year. Both him and Leanord. I feel like the only REALLy good guy on defense is Revis. Cause Scott who could be a force is barely on the field. Harris whatever when do you hear his name called for a play? Its just Revis and everyone else. He needs to revamp the line and stop his obsession with DBs. cause you cant cover forever...We need at least one Superstar on the DLine to be a true defense. This rookie we picked up is good but i dont see him being a force...

I don't blame Smith. He's not a starter. I blame the coach for sending him out there week after week and not changing the plan to get him off of Gronk. First of all, Gronk is hard to cover no matter WHAT safety you throw out there, but come on... Eric Smith?

I like the guy but he's not a starting safety.

Smith wasn't as bad as some of you guys think. He had solid coverage on two Brady completions that were absolutely perfect throws. The problem is the scheme. They went with only one LB on entire series, and left Smith to play a "monster" role. Did you guys not see Pouha and Scott pulled off the field for half the game? It was a wierd defense that put Smith at LB in coverage against Gronkowski, Woodhead, and even Welker at times. I think the idea was to get a slower, older Scott off the field in passing downs. But they basically fed Smith to the wolves by putting him in man without help (since safety is the help, and he's the safety). Beyond that, they kept trying to sub and got caught by Brady who snapped early and had half a field to himself. This wasn't smith. It was bad defense.

we are too small and slow back there. I would like to replace them both. Don't give me small tough guys on D. Give me big tough guys.

I agree I would like them both replaced, but while Leonhard is far from anything special, at least he knows how to execute his assignments. That stupid useless **** Smith just falls flat on his face every two seconds. The Patriots offensive gameplan was literally to just go after Eric Smith, even Collinsworth said it. That's how pathetically awful he is. The man should never take a single snap on anything but special teams.

I agree I would like them both replaced, but while Leonhard is far from anything special, at least he knows how to execute his assignments. That stupid useless **** Smith just falls flat on his face every two seconds. The Patriots offensive gameplan was literally to just go after Eric Smith, even Collinsworth said it. That's how pathetically awful he is. The man should never take a single snap on anything but special teams.

Smith...and Strickland. They seemed to be zeroed in there too. Why did we bring him back? I would rather see Cole than Strickland.

i would have liked to see cro on gronk last night and revis on welker. only problem with that is then you have kyle wilson on branch and we saw what happens then...they out planned us with thier formations and quick snaps. Silver lining is if we play them again this year Rex will take it up another notch like only he can.

Smith is a solid player. Good in run support and generally a solid tackler. The Jets were outcoached (the defense against the hurry-up was the worst I've seen in this era of Jets football) and outmanned (they moved Revis to Gronkowski and all hell broke loose all over the rest of the field).

Bummer. But lets not hate Eric Smith.

Smith is a solid player. Good in run support and generally a solid tackler. The Jets were outcoached (the defense against the hurry-up was the worst I've seen in this era of Jets football) and outmanned (they moved Revis to Gronkowski and all hell broke loose all over the rest of the field).

Bummer. But lets not hate Eric Smith.

Eric Smith being a solid tackler is a myth. His technique is garbage and because of it, he misses far more tackles than anyone else on this team. He's absolutely awful in every single aspect of defense. The only place he's worth a damn is special teams and frankly, I would be more than happy to give that up if it meant getting him off this team.

Right, because Smith can't cover.

So then who can cover? Chad Johnson? Branch? Yikes

Eric Smith being a solid tackler is a myth. His technique is garbage and because of it, he misses far more tackles than anyone else on this team. He's absolutely awful in every single aspect of defense. The only place he's worth a damn is special teams and frankly, I would be more than happy to give that up if it meant getting him off this team.

I'm no expert but I typically watch each game twice. I see Smith hit people hard and also wrap them up. I've see Harris, Scott and Cromartie miss far more tackles, especially relative to the plays they make. And I love Scott and Harris.

And why pick on Smith? I saw Chad Johnson roam free twice for big gainers. I saw Branch walk into the end zone because Wilson inexplicably gave him a cushion - this after Branch turned a simple swing pass into a big gainer. I saw Brady sit in the pocket virtually untouched for three hours.

Scapegoating, pure and simple. It might be that the Jets should employ a true Free Safety but that's not the way they play. And for the most part, the Jets seem to know what they are doing on defense. Though not in the second half of last night's game. That was nasty.

So then who can cover? Chad Johnson? Branch? Yikes

I'm no expert but I typically watch each game twice. I see Smith hit people hard and also wrap them up. I've see Harris, Scott and Cromartie miss far more tackles, especially relative to the plays they make. And I love Scott and Harris.

And why pick on Smith? I saw Chad Johnson roam free twice for big gainers. I saw Branch walk into the end zone because Wilson inexplicably gave him a cushion - this after Branch turned a simple swing pass into a big gainer. I saw Brady sit in the pocket virtually untouched for three hours.

Scapegoating, pure and simple. It might be that the Jets should employ a true Free Safety but that's not the way they play. And for the most part, the Jets seem to know what they are doing on defense. Though not in the second half of last night's game. That was nasty.

Because Smith has sucked for 6 years now, and he's only getting worse. I'm not giving a pass to anyone who stepped on the field yesterday, so the comments about Smith are absolutely not scapegoating him or excusing anyone else. 53 players and an endless list of coaches all sucked at their jobs yesterday. The difference is a lot of them have the ability to perform better than they did yesterday. Meanwhile, one of them, who also happens to be a starter (and God only knows why), simply did the same exact thing he's done for the entirety of his career. Not only that, when even the commentators are pointing out how the opposing offense is clearly designing plays specifically to go after that one single player, that speaks volumes. The guy is pure garbage, or to put it in SAT analogy terms:

Eric Smith : Playing :: Schotty : Coaching

Archived