Let the Manning to Jets Speculation begin

CTM

I just heard that Manning might not be able to be traded at all.

The Colts owe him 28M before the league year begins.

A trade cannot come until after the league year begins.

Therefore, the Colts either need to cut him (unlikely), pay him 28M and then trade him (more unlikely), or keep him.

Seems like no question.

I heard it was due on 4th day of league year??? link?

btw .. sooth has the same sig ;)

OK OK! had to change my underwear when I thought about this actually happening.. I'm all for it like most of you. BUT the big question is.

What are you (we) willing to give Indy for the Mighty Peyton?

cincy gave 2 1st's for PALMER. what will we have to give? I think that will be the bench mark for the trade it will have to be better than that deal. So, what do we give? what are we willing to give?

I'm very interested in what you all have to say.

Therefore, the Colts either need to cut him (unlikely), pay him 28M and then trade him (more unlikely), or keep him.

Seems like no question.

Heard the same. Peter King FWIW.

He specifically said that Mannings 28 M bonus was due before the 2012 season begins.

Seems like no question.

Or get Manning to agree in writing to change that date to 1am on day 1 of the new season, if a deal is already in the works and Manning is ok with the team he's going to.

Or get Manning to agree in writing to change that date to 1am on day 1 of the new season, if a deal is already in the works and Manning is ok with the team he's going to.

yeah, i still hadn't heard that it's before the league start date, but obviously can be renegotiated.. Based on the way the contract is structured, it sounds like both sides would be willing to make that happen. The real question is whether the GM/Owner are willing to let go of the past.. It's the smart thing to do business wise, but obviously there's a lot of history there and it would be very unpopular with a large segment of their fanbase.. but if Joe Montana and can play for the chiefs, Emmit Smith for the Cardinals, etc... this can happen..

Exactly, if the Colts want to deal him and Manning doesn't want to sit around counting his days before Luck takes over, he'll do what he what's needed to make it work.

Yes, let's trade for Manning at the end of his career.

After all, that Favre thing worked out so well.

You should never compare Peyton Manning to Brett Favre. Manning always has been significantly better than Favre. Favre's career looks better in terms of career numbers, but those numbers were compiled by playing for so long. After his rookie year, I would venture to say that Manning never had a year where he was worse than Favre...Two separate players and two separate situations.

You should never compare Peyton Manning to Brett Favre. Manning always has been significantly better than Favre. Favre's career looks better in terms of career numbers, but those numbers were compiled by playing for so long. After his rookie year, I would venture to say that Manning never had a year where he was worse than Favre...Two separate players and two separate situations.

And yet, when healthy, Favre was the best QB play we've had in a long time.

Oh please. Put down your stats book and take a look at the game.

After Marino and Elway retired, Favre was considered the best QB in the league by just about everyone. After that, up came Manning and Brady, but for several years it was pretty well understood Favre was the best at the position.

Manning has the advantage that the team is built completely around his talents, but even so he didn't win a playoff game until fairly well into his career. You can take your choice about Favre or Manning, sure, but to pretend that Favre's level is nowhere near Manning's level is just nonsense. They're both superstar QB's and have been for a long, long time, and now Manning is near the end of his career as well.

For what it's worth, you could argue that the Favre trade almost worked for the Jets, he had us rolling at 8-3 before he injured his arm, who knows how far he'd have taken us without the injury. But I would think that by now, Jets fans would have their fill of importing the aging Messiah for a last go-round.

really? no one wants to say what they think Manning is worth? figured that'd be a big thing. everyones doesn't care what we'd give? some of you are very smart when it comes to this stuff. would like to know what u think.

I'd give a 1 and a conditional that could reach up to another 1 based on playoff longevity.

really? no one wants to say what they think Manning is worth? figured that'd be a big thing. everyones doesn't care what we'd give? some of you are very smart when it comes to this stuff. would like to know what u think.

Manning would probably cost three draft picks.My guess is a 1 in 2012, 2 in 2013m and a 3 in 2014. Those 2013 and 2014 would each be capable of escalating. My guess is anything more than 14 games active in 2013 (including playoffs) makes 2013 a first rounder. 2014 probably jumps to a 2 based on playing time and a 1 based on playoff success. If he is healthy you give up a kings ransom. There is no way around it.

Manning would probably cost three draft picks.My guess is a 1 in 2012, 2 in 2013m and a 3 in 2014. Those 2013 and 2014 would each be capable of escalating. My guess is anything more than 14 games active in 2013 (including playoffs) makes 2013 a first rounder. 2014 probably jumps to a 2 based on playing time and a 1 based on playoff success. If he is healthy you give up a kings ransom. There is no way around it.

So the way this is being framed is we have to pay him atleast 28 mill and give up atleast 3 picks which could end up being 2 first round picks and a 2nd round pick.

Why hesitate ?

Pretty much agree 2 #1's + if he's healthy.. The plus could be a player, depending on if they want to surround luck with some talent

OK OK! had to change my underwear when I thought about this actually happening.. I'm all for it like most of you. BUT the big question is.

What are you (we) willing to give Indy for the Mighty Peyton?

cincy gave 2 1st's for PALMER. what will we have to give? I think that will be the bench mark for the trade it will have to be better than that deal. So, what do we give? what are we willing to give?

I'm very interested in what you all have to say.

A couple firsts and a Harris/Cromartie level starter...I'm even willing to throw in a 2nd/3rd...Manning makes sense but yeah I can't say I buy it...just that I really really want to.

Pretty much agree 2 #1's + if he's healthy.. The plus could be a player, depending on if they want to surround luck with some talent

Problem is they would be in rebuilding mode meaning pure young talent, something the Jets dont really have. I wouldnt think Wilson carries a high enough grade anymore and I dont know if Wilkerson fits in with what they want to do. Thats really it for the youth movement.

most of you have pretty much the same idea I had, it'd cost atleast 2 firsts. I saw someone post just 2 firsts, No way we get him for the same deal Oakland got palmer. 3 firsts sound about right. hopefully it wouldn't cost us any of our tallent. but i'm sure theres going to be guys we can't resign if we were to trade for manning so throw them in with the picks.

who's contracts are comming up soon? it wouldn't have to be young talent just because there rebuilding, they would need some vets to help out the young guys. maybe 2 firsts and a combo of Cro and someone else? i think Wilson can step in for cromartie and we'd never miss him. big name guy to throw out there at them.

hell if they're wanting to get rid of the old guys lets get them to throw in FREENY too! LOL

I'm sorry to go against most in this thread, but getting Manning at this point is nuts.

Soon to be 37, 3 neck surgeries (none of which were minor by the way, this injury ended Sterling Sharpe's, Irvin's, and Spielman's careers). Out of football for a year, lots of rust. Why is this a good idea again?

Seems like a knee jerk reaction. I know I'm asking too much from NY fans, but wait it out and see what next year brings with a new oc. You can always make changes with players, but once you let a good player walk, that's that.

I'm sorry to go against most in this thread, but getting Manning at this point is nuts.

Soon to be 37, 3 neck surgeries (none of which were minor by the way, this injury ended Sterling Sharpe's, Irvin's, and Spielman's careers). Out of football for a year, lots of rust. Why is this a good idea again?

Seems like a knee jerk reaction. I know I'm asking too much from NY fans, but wait it out and see what next year brings with a new oc. You can always make changes with players, but once you let a good player walk, that's that.

Agree 100%

If Manning comes here, he will end Rex's career here just like Favre ended Mangini's

Archived