Lions News Wire | Mariucci Axed??

The Gun Of Bavaria

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051128/SPORTS19/51128008

The Lions apparently fired coach Steve Mariucci on Monday.

The team had not made an official announcement, but Foxsports.com, citing unnamed sources, said that Mariucci indeed had been fired.

The same sources told Foxsports.com that defensive coordinator Dick Jauron would be the interim coach.

In two-plus seasons, Mariucci has a 15-28 record.

their talking about it on ESPnews right now. Ditka and Allen are saying Millen should have been given the axe insteead of Mariucci.

Exactly, I'm a big believer in not having a GM hire a 3rd coach. At what point is the GM accountable for hiring multiple coaches who don't get the job done?

Wow... I can't explain how happy I am. This is the best news, ever. Besides Herm and Terry getting the axe. Mooch has squandered so much talent on the team. At least Marty was improving the talent. The entire team regressed under Mooch.

As for Millen... that was Bill Ford Jr's call. He made the decision to let him be the President and GM. Not just the GM. And, he got alot of advice from other football people. It's not like he went in blind, having a man crush on Millen, and just hiring him. Has Millen done even a mediocre job in Detroit? Nope. He's been learning on the job, which has taken a toll on the team. Be it poor player decisions, poor coaching decisions, or just plain looking stupid, he's done a horrible job with the Lions. No question about it. It's his fault for getting the bland and generic WCO in Detroit. It's his fault that they're now considered more of a laughing stock than the Cardinals. Should he be fired? Hell yeah he should. Will he? Nope. Will he learn from his mistakes? Maybe. Time will tell. He really hasn't learned much in the five years he's had the job. Yeah, he's gotten Dre Bly (that's pretty much it). His other FA's have busted. Fernando Bryant, Damion Woody, Rick deMulling, to name a few. Dan Wilkenson was a good pick up. Kennoy Kennedy has been adequate. But the drafts have been abysmal. Joey Harrington (should have taken Jammer), Charles Rogers (should have taken Andre Johnson), Roy Williams (just has been wasted), Kevin Jones (the same as Roy), and Mike Williams (which I can understand, considering that the Lions did end up starting a game with Scotty Vines and Troy Edwards this year, but damn). Not one of those first round picks has panned out. And his first first round pick was Jeff Backus, who has regressed over the past two years.

Mooch will be the head football coach at East Lansing soon. Be it next year or the year after. John L Smith is a dead man walking. And, as for who ever takes over the Lions job? They'll have alot of talent to work with. The team has talent, it's just been mismanaged. You can't win on just talent in the NFL. It works in college, but not in the pro's.

MARIUCCI FIRED

By NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

November 28, 2005

The Lions fired coach Steve Mariucci and at least two of his assistants Monday, an NFL source said.

A news conference with team president Matt Millen has been tentatively scheduled for 4 p.m. at team headquarters in Allen Park.

Mariucci might be replaced by defensive coordinator Dick Jauron, who was head coach of the Chicago Bears from 1999 to 2003. He was NFL coach of the year in 2001.

Offensive line coach Pat Morris and tight ends coach Andy Sugarman were fired along with Mariucci, the source said. It is unknown whether others will be fired.

Mariucci went 15-28 in almost three seasons with the Lions, including 4-7 this season. He is in the third-year of a five-year, $25-million contract.

Copyright

52_SteveMariucci_BigImage.JPG

Johnny Cash

I've Been Everywhere

Written by - Geoff Mack

From - Unchained

I was totin' my pack along the long dusty Winnamucka road

When along came a semi with a high canvas covered load

If your goin' to Winnamucka, Mack, with me you can ride

And so I climbed into the cab and then I settled down inside

He asked me if I'd seen a road with so much dust and sand

And I said, 'Listen! I've traveled every road in this here land'