Matt Flynn

Integrity28

first 2 td's were sandwiched by a bad int... one was a screen pass that grant housed for like 70 yards, the other was a jump ball on a free play. Neither was terribly impressive other then him recognizing he had a free play

third td was underthrown, nelson made a nice catch, but surprised CB didn't break it up.. he made a good read on the safety though...

overall this guy isn't an elite guy, but def better then sanchez.. someone is going to overpay for him

third td was underthrown, nelson made a nice catch, but surprised CB didn't break it up.. he made a good read on the safety though...

overall this guy isn't an elite guy, but def better then sanchez.. someone is going to overpay for him

Exactly, and it's a damn shame, because that one game is going to make all the difference, regardless of how good of a performance it really was out of Flynn.

Stupid Green Bay and their stupid sitting of stupid Rodgers. I hope those stupid heads lose their first stupid playoff game because of a bad game from stupid Rodgers after not playing for three stupid weeks.

Flynn has talent, but not sure if he'd really give Mark competition in camp yet. What about our own in house McElroy? He deserves a shot to prove he can play in this league.

A 7th round pick that didn't look good in preseason and missed his first season due to injury? Why don't we just extend him and hand the job over now?

Bump.

You see? I'm just ahead of the curve... :tongue:

I know everyone wants Peyton. Sure. Me too.

Realistically though, its not happening. What could happen though is that we don't quit on Sanchez, but we go out and bring in someone with youth, talent and promise to compete with Sanchez. This way. When Sanchez is throwing games away for us... we can bench him.

Oh, and its a given that both QBs will be working with a brand new OC. Preferably hired from the Saints or Packers staff... or perhaps Andy Reid or Norv Turner will be looking for jobs next year.

Anyway, Flynn would be a good fit as a 1B quarterback for us. We actually only have 1 QB on our roster right now... its sad. Horrible job by Tannenbaum.

This is a great idea, but there are 2 problems with it.

1. Matt Flynn will command Matt Cassell type money, and also will prob cost a 1st and 2nd if the Packers are smart (which they are) and they franchise Flynn, there not going to let him go for free when they can get so much for him, I suggested that a trade with the Browns for there 2nd first round pick it will be in the low 20's, and maybe a 3rd, and the Browns draft Blackmon to pair with him, but thats for another franchise not the Jets sorry to get off topic.

2. This is the biggest problem with your (I think great Idea) while Rex is the head coach of the NYJ he will never employ a pass heavy system like the Packers, Chargers, Eagles, and Saints run so he will never approve of those philosophys, he wants ground and pound ball control clock running smash mouth ect..... and then go play defense, cause he understands defense and thinks he can control the game with it as long as the offense doesn't turn it over thats the way Rex plays football that won't change.

The place for the Jets to look to improve there offense is Gary Kubiack, he has a run heavy offense, but with a DOWN FIELD play action pass attack that keeps defenses honest, then hits them with well timed HB screens to take advantage of the D either selling on the run or backing off on the deep play action pass. Where as Schotty complements Rex's ground and pound style with a short passing attack which means the defense can play in a 5-15 yard box opening up zero holes in the d, because of no deep threat.

So now there is 2 more problems

1. The Jets say Schotty is coming back, this has to change for my suggestion to happen

2. Kubiack is not available, so we have to look somewhere close to him, and I will show you where I would like to look, I copied a post I made in another forum and will paste below, this is where I think the Jets should look.

Greg Knapp QB coach Houstan Texans, Knapp has done a good job with TJ Yates even thou he was a late round rookie pick. This paragraph from an interview he did on Matt Leinart getting a chance to start again after the Schaub injury, and before Leinarts is what completly sold me on him.

On how much the Texans’ play-action game fits Leinart’s skill set: “It fits him real well. I’m kind of in a unique position here because I was with the Oakland Raiders when Lane Kiffin got the head job. Lane had just finished being the co-offensive coordinator at USC when Matt Leinart was there… and so the offense that he put in at Oakland was similar to what we do here. And so it was very familiar for me to see the different types of play-calling and plays they used with what we do here, and I’ve known for a fact that USC studied a lot of Gary Kubiak’s offense over the years. So, sometimes in this business like it is in any other profession it’s not so much when you get drafted but the right fit, and maybe Arizona wasn’t the right fit once they changed head coaches there from Denny Green to Ken Whisenhunt. Here, it seems to be the right fit for him from a scheme standpoint.”

Sanchez has to have a lot of information from those days, and if that is true that USC studied Kubiak's offense over the years, and Greg Knapp is well versed in both what Kubiack does now, and what USC did when Mark was there he could be the Best coach to put a system in that will give Mark his best chance to succeed, while keeping with Rex's ground and pound philosophy.

Now all way have to do is get Schotty the hell out of here, I kind of believe Rex, and Tanny, that he is not going anywhere if he doesn't get a head coaching gig (unless he resigns I doubt it thou).

Also hopefully the Texans would grant permission to speak with him if we asked.

Exactly, and it's a damn shame, because that one game is going to make all the difference, regardless of how good of a performance it really was out of Flynn.

Stupid Green Bay and their stupid sitting of stupid Rodgers. I hope those stupid heads lose their first stupid playoff game because of a bad game from stupid Rodgers after not playing for three stupid weeks.

His last pass to setup the game winner to Jones was a nice pass.... I think he's a decent QB, but certainly not in Rodgers/Brees/Brady/manning stratosphere

His last pass to setup the game winner to Jones was a nice pass.... I think he's a decent QB, but certainly not in Rodgers/Brees/Brady/manning stratosphere

This plus the fact that he'll cost too much make this a waste of three pages.

I'm on the Nick Foles bandwagon, I guess. That's a lie because there's a guy named Peyton Manning.

Just watched the video from last season, and had my opinion on him changed. He looks every much like a Matt Cassel/Kevin Kolb in the making. From a statistical standpoint it looks like he's thrown up very respectable numbers but people need to take into consideration a few things (esp for this video):

1. The coaching staff that he has in GB

2. The WRs/pass options at his disposal

3. How many passes he was in shotgun (probably a product to poor o-line injuries and play)

4. ***His overall pocket presence

***He looks very ordinary and appears to have 7th round talent in arm strength and accuracy in deep throws, 5th round awareness and borderline 4th/5th round athleticism for a QB. It's to the point the only people I want instead of Sanchez is Brees or Manning. Brees could be available if he and New Orleans do not reach an agreement and signs a franchise tender which is unlikely because it seems like there's a mutual desire to be there. Manning's obvious concern is his health and value. The jury is still out on Sanchez and he needs Schotty to get so far away from him.

This plus the fact that he'll cost too much make this a waste of three pages.

I'm on the Nick Foles bandwagon, I guess. That's a lie because there's a guy named Peyton Manning.

I started the thread in November, long before he had a great week 17 game. Long before his price tag went through the roof. Clown.

This is a great idea, but there are 2 problems with it.

1. Matt Flynn will command Matt Cassell type money, and also will prob cost a 1st and 2nd if the Packers are smart (which they are) and they franchise Flynn, there not going to let him go for free when they can get so much for him, I suggested that a trade with the Browns for there 2nd first round pick it will be in the low 20's, and maybe a 3rd, and the Browns draft Blackmon to pair with him, but thats for another franchise not the Jets sorry to get off topic.

2. This is the biggest problem with your (I think great Idea) while Rex is the head coach of the NYJ he will never employ a pass heavy system like the Packers, Chargers, Eagles, and Saints run so he will never approve of those philosophys, he wants ground and pound ball control clock running smash mouth ect..... and then go play defense, cause he understands defense and thinks he can control the game with it as long as the offense doesn't turn it over thats the way Rex plays football that won't change.

The place for the Jets to look to improve there offense is Gary Kubiack, he has a run heavy offense, but with a DOWN FIELD play action pass attack that keeps defenses honest, then hits them with well timed HB screens to take advantage of the D either selling on the run or backing off on the deep play action pass. Where as Schotty complements Rex's ground and pound style with a short passing attack which means the defense can play in a 5-15 yard box opening up zero holes in the d, because of no deep threat.

So now there is 2 more problems

1. The Jets say Schotty is coming back, this has to change for my suggestion to happen

2. Kubiack is not available, so we have to look somewhere close to him, and I will show you where I would like to look, I copied a post I made in another forum and will paste below, this is where I think the Jets should look.

Greg Knapp QB coach Houstan Texans, Knapp has done a good job with TJ Yates even thou he was a late round rookie pick. This paragraph from an interview he did on Matt Leinart getting a chance to start again after the Schaub injury, and before Leinarts is what completly sold me on him.

On how much the Texans’ play-action game fits Leinart’s skill set: “It fits him real well. I’m kind of in a unique position here because I was with the Oakland Raiders when Lane Kiffin got the head job. Lane had just finished being the co-offensive coordinator at USC when Matt Leinart was there… and so the offense that he put in at Oakland was similar to what we do here. And so it was very familiar for me to see the different types of play-calling and plays they used with what we do here, and I’ve known for a fact that USC studied a lot of Gary Kubiak’s offense over the years. So, sometimes in this business like it is in any other profession it’s not so much when you get drafted but the right fit, and maybe Arizona wasn’t the right fit once they changed head coaches there from Denny Green to Ken Whisenhunt. Here, it seems to be the right fit for him from a scheme standpoint.”

Sanchez has to have a lot of information from those days, and if that is true that USC studied Kubiak's offense over the years, and Greg Knapp is well versed in both what Kubiack does now, and what USC did when Mark was there he could be the Best coach to put a system in that will give Mark his best chance to succeed, while keeping with Rex's ground and pound philosophy.

Now all way have to do is get Schotty the hell out of here, I kind of believe Rex, and Tanny, that he is not going anywhere if he doesn't get a head coaching gig (unless he resigns I doubt it thou).

Also hopefully the Texans would grant permission to speak with him if we asked.

Excellent post.

Agreed. If you recall, when I started this thread, I started by saying bring Flynn in to compete with Sanchez, because at the time that's all he was going to be was a backup going from team A to team B. Now that he's become a hot commodity, its not quite the same scenario. I was hoping the Jets would just sign him at backup QB pay, now he will probably command starter pay.

I actually like a lot of what Lupz posted above...

Absolutely agree, which is why when it seemed like there would be an opportunity to bring him in as a FA to compete with Sanchez, for him to prove how good he really was as a starter and outside of the system, I thought would have been great. But he's still not nearly proven enough to justify the now undoubtedly high price tag, be it for the cost of the trade or his salary. I guess they'll just have to go get Brees now.

Absolutely agree, which is why when it seemed like there would be an opportunity to bring him in as a FA to compete with Sanchez, for him to prove how good he really was as a starter and outside of the system, I thought would have been great. But he's still not nearly proven enough to justify the now undoubtedly high price tag, be it for the cost of the trade or his salary. I guess they'll just have to go get Brees now.

He would 100% beat out Sanchez if given a fair shot, imo

Excellent post.

Thanks

I've also found a problem to my idea thou, if I remember correctly Rex Ryan coached defenses absolutely OWN Kubiacks offense, I hope that doesn't sway Rex from looking there, cause not many defenses do what his does (when there firing on all cylinders) stop the run and cancel out the playaction and make you one dimensional.

The more and more I think about it there is no question in my mind, that if both Rex and Sanchez are gonna be here, then he is the best guy to run our offense, it just makes to much sense, with the running heavy, to make Rex happy, and the comparisons to the USC offenses Sanchez thrived under (albeit with superior talent) to maximize Sanchez' talent and abilities, hopefully Mark actually has that talent and ability somewhere inside him cause if not it won't matter what coach you bring in were ****ed.

Everybody keeps talking about how wonderful life would be with a new OC next year. but our genius head coach is in love with Shotty.So if Shotty doesn't get the Jag job, we have another year with a sh*t OC, a sh*t QB, and fat ol' Rex predicting another SB. How pathetic. Watching these playoffs then thinking back to that last Miami game, the Jets would be destroyed by every team playing right now.They are light years away with competing with the Saints, Pats, or Packers.Why? No offense. Until Sanchez or pray God another QB comes in&starts lighting up the scoreboard, it's gonna be the same sh*t next year.When you can't score more than 2 touchdowns a game,you will never compete in this league.

• 2 weeks later...

Dolphins have narrowed down their HC candidates to 3, Packers offensive coordinator Jerry Phillbin is in the race, and despite losing his son, he has vocally expressed to the dolphins he wants to move his family to Miami, and become the HC.

If he gets the job, and the dolphins find a way to acquire Flynn, and maybe even Finley, my question is would this make you nervous we could become 3rd fiddle in the AFC East?

Realistically though, its not happening. What could happen though is that we don't quit on Sanchez, but we go out and bring in someone with youth, talent and promise to compete with Sanchez. This way. When Sanchez is throwing games away for us... we can bench him.

Oh, and its a given that both QBs will be working with a brand new OC. Preferably hired from the Saints or Packers staff... or perhaps Andy Reid or Norv Turner will be looking for jobs next year.

Anyway, Flynn would be a good fit as a 1B quarterback for us. We actually only have 1 QB on our roster right now... its sad. Horrible job by Tannenbaum.

Are there any examples of teams that introduced these quaterback controversies where qbs are pulled mid season and juggled around back and forth where it actually ended up working out?

Are there any examples of teams that introduced these quaterback controversies where qbs are pulled mid season and juggled around back and forth where it actually ended up working out?

The only one I could recall was Simms and Brunner...My recollections are similar to the comment made here...and Sanchez should have had competition the entire time.

"Between 1979 and 1983 several injuries, and a lack of confidence by a new head coach named Bill Parcells, saw Simms go the bench in 1983 where he would stay til the sixth game of the season when he found himself in an annual competition for the starting job with Scott Brunner."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/298498-jets-sanchez-would-be-wise-to-emulate-former-giant-phil-simms

I personally really like this kid, I watched the video on the first page. Stands strong in the pocket and doesn't fold under pressure, and extends plays giving his offense a better opportunity to keep drives going. And this is against a defense he'd grow very familiar to given a move to NY. A lot of times we see Mark under pressure he either tucks and braces for impact or looks like a deer in the headlights, Matt seem unaffected by pressure and stood strong and delivered strikes downfield, something we don't do. Here and there he'd throw a ball in a dangerous spot, but that's nothing that can't be coached. & He seems like he has leadership qualities, i.e., when Jordy Nelson dropped the easy pass across the middle, he went right back to him 3-4 plays later for a 20 yard completion on the aforementioned video. He's a kid with iron-nuts and a chip on his shoulder, won a National Championship in college and was drafted what? in the 5th-6th round? Can't hurt at all to bring a kid like that into this locker room, and if we get the Mark Sanchez of late? won't bother me at all to hear Flynn announced as starter for the week, and given a shot.

OP Matt Flynn is going to want money and if this team is going to get better Im not sure we can fork out that type of cash right now. Yeah blah blah it was only one game but we have seen teams pay large amounts for players like this in the past. Hes also under contract which means GB will want something decent in return as well. This team does not get better trading away players, and draft picks for back ups when we need at least 2 O-lineman, A LB a Safety and a few skill players on offense.

If we are going to go for it with Mark Sanchez then we need to surround him with some real talent, if he does not produce at that point, at the very least the talent will be in place and we can then replace him. I think we should stay with McElroy and O'Connel for this next season and send Brunell packing

EDIT: I did not know Flynn was a FA but still feel he will wand too much money that the Jets are not in a position to pay for a QB competition

Let's do it.

OP Matt Flynn is going to want money and if this team is going to get better Im not sure we can fork out that type of cash right now. Yeah blah blah it was only one game but we have seen teams pay large amounts for players like this in the past. Hes also under contract which means GB will want something decent in return as well. This team does not get better trading away players, and draft picks for back ups when we need at least 2 O-lineman, A LB a Safety and a few skill players on offense.

If we are going to go for it with Mark Sanchez then we need to surround him with some real talent, if he does not produce at that point, at the very least the talent will be in place and we can then replace him. I think we should stay with McElroy and O'Connel for this next season and send Brunell packing

I agree that Flynn will not come cheap and most likely gets Kevin Kolb money...but he's unrestricted FA...so unless GB tags him (at a risk of $14.5M) they get nothing in return...maybe another team works out a trade and they franchise him for a one year deal...but that looks costs prohibitive to Jets or any other team...

I'm definitely on board with cutting Brunnel but would like a Dennis Dixon or Josh Johnson type as compete with Sanchez...

I agree that Flynn will not come cheap and most likely gets Kevin Kolb money...but he's unrestricted FA...so unless GB tags him (at a risk of $14.5M) they get nothing in return...maybe another team works out a trade and they franchise him for a one year deal...but that looks costs prohibitive to Jets or any other team...

I'm definitely on board with cutting Brunnel but would like a Dennis Dixon or Josh Johnson type as compete with Sanchez...

ahh ok I didnt know he was a FA but we still need to focus on getting players in here that will actully play

EDIT: I did not know Flynn was a FA but still feel he will wand too much money that the Jets are not in a position to pay for a QB competition

Just keep in mind that I posted that back in mid-November, before Flynn blew up in week 17 and boosted his price tag.

True he has a weak arm, but Chad won with the same skill set for quite awhile. Greg's strength will be his leadership and brains.

Having arm strength is way overrated in this league. Flynn is capable of making most of the throws but his brain and accuracy is what I love. Something we lack with our starting QB.

Archived