Negative Impact of Mike Pettitne?

Barton

He apparently makes all the defensive play calls this season. And so far the results are not impressive.

Rex and Mike split play calling duty last season, this has been reported. Now obviously a regression from 2009 when the league had no tape on our blitzes was to be expected in 2010, and that did occur. BTW Rex called all the plays in 2009.

But this season what is the excuse? Our personnel is better than last season.

I think it's actually plain and simple: the Jets aren't running the ball on offense as often nor as effectively. Therefore, they aren't controlling the clock, therefore, the defense is getting fatigued faster.

Everyone that was eager for Sanchez to "open it up" because this is a "passing league", now you know the PRICE you pay for that!!!

What concerns me is why have they given Mike P more control? Rex called the plays from the sidelines the first eyar, just like they did the last year they were together in Baltimore. Is this being done to help Mike out resume wise? If so, f that.

Regardless though, the defense isn't the issue. Once the offense starts moving the ball better and scoring...problem solved.

I think it's actually plain and simple: the Jets aren't running the ball on offense as often nor as effectively. Therefore, they aren't controlling the clock, therefore, the defense is getting fatigued faster.

Everyone that was eager for Sanchez to "open it up" because this is a "passing league", now you know the PRICE you pay for that!!!

I agree.

Couple all that with the fact that more and more teams have learned to take advantage of the Jets situational substitutions, something they must do to make up for their lack of defensive versatility, and you have a drop in overall performance.

I don't really know if Pettine's making the calls or not, but the all out blitz on 3rd and 4 against Tebow was one of the worst play calls I've ever seen.

I was yelling at the screen when I saw them lined up. I knew he was scoring a touchdown there. That was the single worst call a DC could make against that offensive play call.

Their running play selection looks very unimaginative. All their plays look the same. I can understand the subtlety of a concept like that. But if a team knows where you are going generally, they can stuff it. They do not stretch the run defense. I also think Greene has a problem. Given the choice, Green seems to select the prospect of dealing out punishment over breaking through a seam. He runs like an old time fullback. I don't think his RB vision is very good. As for the line, they miss Woody in the run game. He had lost any quickness he had for pass blocking., though LIke Faneca, who was also a real good run blocker. They did their best running 2 years ago. That line made Thomas Jones look like a stud.

Is Pettine really making the calls? There was a point in the DEN game where a friend of mine said he must have the best job in the world since Rex calls the plays. I mentioned that he's been calling the plays, and right at that point they showed him on the screen for the entire duration between defensive plays when you think he'd be sending down the playcall. All he did was sit there silently and take a swig of gatorade.

Archived