How do you guys like this play call on 3rd down?

Matt39

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody posted this already. There's nothing wrong with the call. It's an easy first down if Sanchez doesn't blow a simple read.

Mccourty makes the tackle well before the sticks if McKnight catches the dig. Pats arent playing a deep safety either.

Its a horrendously designed play.

Somebody posted this already. There's nothing wrong with the call. It's an easy first down if Sanchez doesn't blow a simple read.

You mean if he hits McKnight? That was his last read on the play, wasn't it? He's got 5 targets, only the last of which is going to get him a 1st there... and even then, it's going to require McKnight to make a play because NOBODY is beyond the chains.

Edit: looking at it again, I think Matt might be right.. I'm not sure McKnight even gets the 1st there, it's a possibility, but that's about it.

This is not 3rd and 15 dude. Having a couple of those 5 receivers run a route longer than 5 yards isn't that dangerous at all.

Mccourty makes the tackle well before the sticks if McKnight catches the dig. Pats arent playing a deep safety either.

Its a horrendously designed play.

Maybe McCourty makes the tackle, maybe he doesn't. That's not a dig. Patriots are in cover-3.

This is a horrendously conceived thread.

Maybe McCourty makes the tackle, maybe he doesn't. That's not a dig. Patriots are in cover-3.

This is a horrendously conceived thread.

What the hell is McKnight running then? Buttonhook, dig...same difference. 5 guys running a yard short of the first down maker on a 3rd and makeable with no deep safety.

You mean if he hits McKnight? That was his last read on the play, wasn't it? He's got 5 targets, only the last of which is going to get him a 1st there... and even then, it's going to require McKnight to make a play because NOBODY is beyond the chains.

Edit: looking at it again, I think Matt might be right.. I'm not sure McKnight even gets the 1st there, it's a possibility, but that's about it.

This is not 3rd and 15 dude. Having a couple of those 5 receivers run a route longer than 5 yards isn't that dangerous at all.

It's not a progression read. It's either/or. The throw is to the flat against odd coverage, to the seam against even coverage. Sanchez starts out looking left because he likes to throw head fakes, not because the play was going that way. McCourty has to break back and is going to hit McKnight, not squarely, about a yard from the sticks. That's going to convert more often than not. You guys keep saying deeper routes like nobody ever thought of that before. It's third down. You send the receivers deeper, the windows get tighter, and the quarterback's an idiot, so what do you suppose happens then?

What the hell is McKnight running then? Buttonhook, dig...same difference. 5 guys running a yard short of the first down maker on a 3rd and makeable with no deep safety.

No deep safety, no deep safety, derp derp derpderp. Please stop with the jargon because you are the suck at it. When people talk about whether or not there is 'a' deep safety, they're talking about man coverage. On this play, the Patriots are playing zone with four underneath and the strong safety and corners playing over the top in thirds.

Sanchez starts out looking left because he likes to throw head fakes, not because the play was going that way.

I've never heard it put like that, but it's true. Sanchez was looking one way, and then shifts, but he does so only when he's actually holding the ball like he's ready to throw. You knew he was never going to throw the way he was looking. He had one guy in mind, who was doubled, and he threw it to him anyway.

The playcall is bad if Sanchez is making the correct read. Having 4 guys all coming back as soon as they hit the first down marker allows the defense to just bunch up in a short zone and make a first down impossible. But Sanchez also looks off the other side of the field way too fast. The defenders are actually backpedaling and reading the QB. If you continue to look at Burress and Holmes those Patriots are going to continue to drop into coverage leaving a better chance to hit either Keller or McKnight for the first down. The way that defense was set his real read there should be to either Holmes or Burress on the mid slant (though the Pats did look like someone was dropping underneath for Burress). Either way it has a better chance of working if he keeps his eyes on that side of the field longer

cover 3, are you sure??

1. you cannot see the backfield

2. #44 Ihedibo is doubling Kerley in the slot, not cover 3

Ihedibo is not doubling Kerley, he's playing a zone and steps up on Kerley only as Sanchez begins to throw.

Aten is right, the play there is hit McKnight and then expect your running back to fall forward, if not make a CB miss.

Ihedibo is not doubling Kerley, he's playing a zone and steps up on Kerley only as Sanchez begins to throw.

Aten is right, the play there is hit McKnight and then expect your running back to fall forward, if not make a CB miss.

I agree the correct throw is to McNight, just not sure on the coverage. A safety in the box usually means something other than cover 3, you do not have two people in the same zone. It looks like cover 1 with a single high safety. The lbs look to be man.

I agree the correct throw is to McNight, just not sure on the coverage. A safety in the box usually means something other than cover 3, you do not have two people in the same zone. It looks like cover 1 with a single high safety. The lbs look to be man.

Both outside CBs are running deep up the field. McCourty does it clearly at the bottom of the screen and whoever the guy is on the top of the screen runs way off burress, leaving the inside DB with Holmes and Burress down low. There's a DB deep out of frame too I believe.

Both outside CBs are running deep up the field. McCourty does it clearly at the bottom of the screen and whoever the guy is on the top of the screen runs way off burress, leaving the inside DB with Holmes and Burress down low. There's a DB deep out of frame too I believe.

correct. both corners appear to be in 1/3 zone. there are 10 guys in the picture which leaves one safety deep middle. they could very well be in cover 3, or 1, or man under. too hard to tell from that gif.

It's a bad designed play.

It's also a bad job by Sanchez because, like he was prone to do, I think he made up his mind he was going to Kerley no matter what. That looking left was just a ruse that was poorly executed by him.

Note, that's a similar situation to what happened in the endzone the following week with Sanchez ignoring McKnight and throwing it to Keller, who he missed by 3 feet anyway.

Schitty & Sanchez are really Dumb & Dumber. But since Dumber is much younger and has less a history of failure than Dumb, you hope that with a Smart, Dumber would be not so dumb.

It's a bad designed play.

It's also a bad job by Sanchez because, like he was prone to do, I think he made up his mind he was going to Kerley no matter what. That looking left was just a ruse that was poorly executed by him.

Note, that's a similar situation to what happened in the endzone the following week with Sanchez ignoring McKnight and throwing it to Keller, who he missed by 3 feet anyway.

Schitty & Sanchez are really Dumb & Dumber. But since Dumber is much younger and has less a history of failure than Dumb, you hope that with a Smart, Dumber would be not so dumb.

I mean its a 3 step drop- what is he supposed to do when everyone is essentially running the same pattern? The playcall is severely limited.

this has been debated before.. I think Sanchez made the worst possible decision, and that a play to McNight would've resulted in a first.. but i still think there should've beena a clearing route run for the primary read.

Then he should have noticed that the outside receiver had the edge. Where he threw the ball no matter caught or not it wasn't going to be a first down. Sanchez is getting worse every game. At least it seems so to me.,

He'd have to guess that McKnight was open.

Archived