How do you guys like this play call on 3rd down?

Matt39

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my god, thank you for finding it! That is EXACTLY the play I was talking about on the report card that week. I could have sworn my eyes were deceiving me... but no, WHAT A FREAKIN ABSURD PLAY CALL!!!!! WTF was he thinking???

Looks like the Pats scouted the 3rd down and a yard short of the stick checkdown AGAIN pretty well. As long as Schitty has been the OC, that BS has been a weekly staple.

The play is horribly designed and thats about it. Saying Sanchez should have hit McKnight while looking at that tape is obvious from that view but if any of you bothered to look at what Sanchez might be seeing you would understand that was not going to happen. His Vision was blocked as he turned to that side of the field by the RT engaged with the LE, he would have had to lob the ball over the 2 players probably resulting in an easy INT . The play was designed to go to Kerley unless you guys think a QB is supposed to pick from 5 WR's in about 2 seconds flat. Everything that happened on that play was by design and the Pats read the play fairly easily probably from film study of what the Jets do in that situation. The look off by Sanchez to the left was by design as well to create a cushion for Kerley. With all the receivers doing curl routes or stop routes no way this play was designed to do anything other than what it did and thats fail. What might have worked in that situation was a double move trying to make a big play rather than having all the receivers come back 1 and sometimes 2 yards inside the first down marker.

The play is horribly designed and thats about it. Saying Sanchez should have hit McKnight while looking at that tape is obvious from that view but if any of you bothered to look at what Sanchez might be seeing you would understand that was not going to happen. His Vision was blocked as he turned to that side of the field by the RT engaged with the LE, he would have had to lob the ball over the 2 players probably resulting in an easy INT . The play was designed to go to Kerley unless you guys think a QB is supposed to pick from 5 WR's in about 2 seconds flat. Everything that happened on that play was by design and the Pats read the play fairly easily probably from film study of what the Jets do in that situation. The look off by Sanchez to the left was by design as well to create a cushion for Kerley. With all the receivers doing curl routes or stop routes no way this play was designed to do anything other than what it did and thats fail. What might have worked in that situation was a double move trying to make a big play rather than having all the receivers come back 1 and sometimes 2 yards inside the first down marker.

2 lol moments in this post. First one, that Sanchez couldnt see McKnight. Very funny. Watch that play, it might be the only time all year that Hunter did his job perfectly...he cleared the DE out of the way and made a HUGE hole for Sanchez to throw to either Kerley or McKnight. I mean seriously, there's a 15 yard window to throw through. Second one, is that Schotty designed the play to fail. I'm sure thats exactly what he's doing...trying to make Sanchez fail.

<3

2 lol moments in this post. First one, that Sanchez couldnt see McKnight. Very funny. Watch that play, it might be the only time all year that Hunter did his job perfectly...he cleared the DE out of the way and made a HUGE hole for Sanchez to throw to either Kerley or McKnight. I mean seriously, there's a 15 yard window to throw through. Second one, is that Schotty designed the play to fail. I'm sure thats exactly what he's doing...trying to make Sanchez fail.

<3

First of all when Sanchez turned to the right side of the field The RT and LE were right in his throwing lane with McKnight so Im not sure WTF your talking about...... as he was making the throw (to Kerley) they were out of his field of view, yes, but it was too late at that point. My point on the play failing was not how you make it look and you know it JIF so stop with the crap already..... to even mention that I think Shotty designes plays to fail on purpose is almost as ridiculous of accusing him of that.

First of all when Sanchez turned to the right side of the field The RT and LE were right in his throwing lane with McKnight so Im not sure WTF your talking about...... as he was making the throw (to Kerley) they were out of his field of view, yes, but it was too late at that point. My point on the play failing was not how you make it look and you know it JIF so stop with the crap already..... to even mention that I think Shotty designes plays to fail on purpose is almost as ridiculous of accusing him of that.

pre snap read?

My point on the play failing was not how you make it look and you know it JIF so stop with the crap already..... to even mention that I think Shotty designes plays to fail on purpose is almost as ridiculous of accusing him of that.

The ironic thing is that that's significantly less crazy than what you actually believe.

First of all when Sanchez turned to the right side of the field The RT and LE were right in his throwing lane with McKnight so Im not sure WTF your talking about...... as he was making the throw (to Kerley) they were out of his field of view, yes, but it was too late at that point.

Even as he's releasing the ball to Kerley, McKnight still has a 7-yard cushion on McCourty, who hasn't broken back toward him, and is only 2 yards from the marker.

Besides, if he reads it correctly, you do know that he's permitted to step up into the pocket to get a clear throwing lane, right?

Even as he's releasing the ball to Kerley, McKnight still has a 7-yard cushion on McCourty, who hasn't broken back toward him, and is only 2 yards from the marker.

Besides, if he reads it correctly, you do know that he's permitted to step up into the pocket to get a clear throwing lane, right?

From what we see, McKnight has a cushion, from what Sanchez is seeing as he throws the ball is what Im speculating on. If you look at the play hes already committed to throwing the ball too Kerley Im not sure he saw Mcknight .

Sanchez had more than enough room/sight to make that throw to McKnight and even by the time the ball got to Kerley, McCourty was a solid 7 yards away from McKnight as he was trying to recover in case the ball was throw to McKnight, which it should have been. By the time he releases the pass, the RT and DE are literally behind him. There was at least a 15 yard window to throw through.

You said the play was designed to fail. I dont think Schotty actually designs plays with the intention of them failing.

From what we see, McKnight has a cushion, from what Sanchez is seeing as he throws the ball is what Im speculating on. If you look at the play hes already committed to throwing the ball too Kerley Im not sure he saw Mcknight .

Oh, I'm almost certain he never even looked at McKnight.... That's the whole problem.

Sanchez had more than enough room/sight to make that throw to McKnight and even by the time the ball got to Kerley, McCourty was a solid 7 yards away from McKnight as he was trying to recover in case the ball was throw to McKnight, which it should have been. By the time he releases the pass, the RT and DE are literally behind him. There was at least a 15 yard window to throw through.

You said the play was designed to fail. I dont think Schotty actually designs plays with the intention of them failing.

It was a one read throw and McKnight obviously wasn't his first read. There's really no way Sanchez would be able to know McKnight was open when the play is designed to be released in 3 seconds or less.

When have the Jets done anything good in that ridiculous spread offense ? And once again You know thats not what I mean so why keep bring up that Im accusing Shotty of designing plays to purposely fail

Absolutely...but he didnt even need to. Hunter actually did his job and opened up a HUGE throwing lane for either receiver. By the time Sanchez is loading up, they are literally behind him.

Absolutely...but he didnt even need to. Hunter actually did his job and opened up a HUGE throwing lane for either receiver. By the time Sanchez is loading up, they are literally behind him.

I agree, but I saw it devolving into a "you can't tell what Sanchez could see from his perspective" argument and wanted to underscore that he seems to be getting progressively worse at moving around in the pocket.

It was a one read throw and McKnight obviously wasn't his first read. There's really no way Sanchez would be able to know McKnight was open when the play is designed to be released in 3 seconds or less.

Good Qb's make that play. Good Qb's can look at the coverage and understand that McKnight was a better option. Not every ball that thrown by a QB goes to the first read. Its kind of the problem with Snchz. Just because a play is designed for something, doesnt mean you dont take the better option, which was clearly McKnight.

When have the Jets done anything good in that ridiculous spread offense ? And once again You know thats not what I mean so why keep bring up that Im accusing Shotty of designing plays to purposely fail

I actually didnt. Stop being pissy. I was just repeating what you said brother.

I don't understand why you would design a play that culminates in 4 receivers stretched across the field all standing 5-7 yards from the line of scrimmage. Presumably, that will also bring 4 to 6 defenders into the same spot and create a wall of defense that needs to be penetrated to get the final 3-4 yards for a first down. Wouldn't it have been smarter to have receivers at all different levels and force the defenders to honor some deeper patterns? Maybe that doesn't work because of the lack of time create by our OLine. It just seems dumb.

I also think that Sanchez doesn't even consider McKnight on the play because he has to throw across the face of 3 defenders to get the ball out there and doesn't want the chance of a pick 6. All it would take would be for McCourtey to drive on the ball as he is winding up and you've got a big play the other way. Now, if McCourtey was driven out of the play with a longer route by the slot guy, then you have something.

Oh, I'm almost certain he never even looked at McKnight.... That's the whole problem.

Heres the deal if Sanchez started looking left then McKnight was his last read OR the play was specificly designed for him to look left and come back and make the throw to Kerley.

By looking at that play what I think Sanchez should have done with only 3 rushing the passer was to scramble to the left when he saw 2 defenders move up On Kerley and extend the play. Not saying this about you, but some people think QB's have nothing to think about, all they do is drop back and the whole field is totally visible to them, its very easy for QB's to miss Wide open receivers it happens all the time with 6-6 lineman obstructing their view.

I don't understand why you would design a play that culminates in 4 receivers stretched across the field all standing 5-7 yards from the line of scrimmage. Presumably, that will also bring 4 to 6 defenders into the same spot and create a wall of defense that needs to be penetrated to get the final 3-4 yards for a first down. Wouldn't it have been smarter to have receivers at all different levels and force the defenders to honor some deeper patterns? Maybe that doesn't work because of the lack of time create by our OLine. It just seems dumb.

I also think that Sanchez doesn't even consider McKnight on the play because he has to throw across the face of 3 defenders to get the ball out there and doesn't want the chance of a pick 6. All it would take would be for McCourtey to drive on the ball as he is winding up and you've got a big play the other way. Now, if McCourtey was driven out of the play with a longer route by the slot guy, then you have something.

Another thing if Sanchez throws to McKnight that guy doubling Kerley probably steps in front and takes it to the house since he starts jumping the route as soon as Sanchez turns back.

Another thing if Sanchez throws to McKnight that guy doubling Kerley probably steps in front and takes it to the house since he starts jumping the route as soon as Sanchez turns back.

That's who I was referring to. I called him McCourtey, but now realize it was another guy. If he throws to McKnight on that play, there is a good chance it gets picked, in my opinion.

It's designed to stretch the defense horizontally, not vertically. The only reason it's dumb in this offense is that it requires the QB to recognize the coverage and make the read accordingly, something which Sanchez has demonstrated himself to be incapable of doing.

McCourty is a good 7 yards away from McKnight and hasn't broken on the ball when Sanchez makes the ill-advised decision to throw to Kerley. I don't care if McKnight wasn't the primary read, he's 5 yards away from Kerley - should we add lack of peripheral vision to the growing list of Sanchez's shortcomings?

It's designed to stretch the defense horizontally, not vertically. The only reason it's dumb in this offense is that it requires the QB to recognize the coverage and make the read accordingly, something which Sanchez has demonstrated himself to be incapable of doing.

McCourty is a good 7 yards away from McKnight and hasn't broken on the ball when Sanchez makes the ill-advised decision to throw to Kerley. I don't care if McKnight wasn't the primary read, he's 5 yards away from Kerley - should we add lack of peripheral vision to the growing list of Sanchez's shortcomings?

How is Sanchez supposed to recognize the coverage there? Its a 3 step, first read and throw play. This isn't a progression throw.

It is possible for both Schotty and Sanchez to suck. I don't think it's crazy to call that a poorly designed play on a 3rd and manageable. This isn't a progression throw.

On that particular play its so easy to say what we think the QB should see. Its also obvious the Pats knew exactly how to defend the play and some credit needs to be given there as well.

On that particular play its so easy to say what we think the QB should see. Its also obvious the Pats knew exactly how to defend the play and some credit needs to be given there as well.

Of course...in hindsight he throws the ball to McKnight...but on such a quick strike play its extremely difficult to read second option there....especially when everyone is practically running the same route.

Archived