Do you have a 3d tv? (active vs passive display)

JerryK

We're splurging this year, but having trouble deciding which way to go. My eyes like passive sets, but the industry seems to like active. Here's my impression of each:

Passive (my pereference):

- looks better. way better. way, way better.

- the lines are interlaced left/right in the same frame which might in principle drop resolution about 15%, but I can't see it.

. Salesmen will say it's a 50% drop but that's asinine. It looks great.

- the glasses are the same cheap ones like at the theater. Maybe $5 a pair. You could buy 20 and host 3d parties cheap.

- only available on LG and cheaper Visio sets.

Active (the industry and every salesman's preference)

-frames alternate between left/right and the glasses 'block' your left/right eyes as appropriate so each eye sees the proper frame.

- looks ok, but that's it. I've seen it on dark plasma tvs and the 3d doesn't pop out like the passive sets.

-Glasses are $100 each.

-Glasses require batteries. Often.

-Glasses are a blinking device that some say 'hums'. It's like wearing a lawnmower on your head.

So why does the industry like something I despise?

Do you have either one and what are your impressions?

i have active and i like it.. Although it looks more like I'm looking into the tv, like it's a window or cardboard box.. then anything coming out at me... No humming, and I bought one of them newfangled wireless charger things.. glasses sit there charged waiting to be sued..

I'd also recommend you make sure to get a smart tv if splurging for 3d..

Can you watch Jet games in 3D or is it just movies.

You guys know me, I'll get my first 3D TV when holograms begin to hit the market lol.

This is what I'm wondering... how much content do you really have in 3D? Is it just a reason to buy 3D DVD's? Do services like Netflix or Vudu stream in 3D?

I was watching a demo in the store of a 3D basketball game, and I thought it was truly awesome. But minus any real content, I don't get it. I'll be waiting for networks to start broadcasting in 3D, and for prices on 3D TV's to come down. Both are inevitable.

This is what I'm wondering... how much content do you really have in 3D? Is it just a reason to buy 3D DVD's? Do services like Netflix or Vudu stream in 3D?

I was watching a demo in the store of a 3D basketball game, and I thought it was truly awesome. But minus any real content, I don't get it. I'll be waiting for networks to start broadcasting in 3D, and for prices on 3D TV's to come down. Both are inevitable.

My tv upconverts to 3d, but not so great for football... There is On Demand content plus blue ray/dvd's in 3d.. also some games are being released with 3d, like the most recent gears of war

Get active. The LG sets have a nice 3D that pops out of the screen but the picture quality is grainy as all hell IMO.Go Sony or Samsung. If your buying a 3D TV you might as well get one that includes APPS. I recently got a 55" Sony Bravia LED 240hz 3D TV w/ Apps and i love it. I was actually at Brandsmart to buy a Samsung buy they were sold out and im impatient so i got the Sony.

You guys aren't disappointed about dropping $100 each just to have your family or some friends over? A super bowl party would cost me over a grand.

(and my kids are going to destroy at least one pair)

I heard TVs will be 3D without glasses eventually, which when I'll wait until.

for us we werent going for the 3D. We had a 10 year old standard tv so this was our first HDTV. So while doing our research, we found the Samsung that also had 3D. It wasnt a sticking point or anything, but it was a nice perk.

You guys aren't disappointed about dropping $100 each just to have your family or some friends over? A super bowl party would cost me over a grand.

My 4 year old busted one the first night...

And I don't mind, tbh, i wouldn't want to watch 3d for a SB party. who wants to be ******* around with glasses constantly..

after the intial novelty, we use it about once a month for a blueray tbh

we've only used it a handful of times to watch Shrek 3d and Jackass 3D. Other than that they stay in a drawer. i dont think there are too many things on TV to watch in 3D.

but once there are, id bet the prices of glasses comes way down.

My tv upconverts to 3d, but not so great for football... There is On Demand content plus blue ray/dvd's in 3d.. also some games are being released with 3d, like the most recent gears of war

Speaking of videogames I heard that Uncharted 3 was designed from the ground up in 3d. People who've played it says that its spectacular.

Thanks guys, I'll have to go back and look at the active sets again.

Without starting a new thread, are your tv's plasma? I'm feeling the pull from everyone at the store to go plasma, but the things look too damned DARK to me. They say 'great darks' are a good things, but I'm not sure.

I see a plasma side-by-side with an LED, and dark backgrounds are MISSING details on the plasma...and I can see the details in the LED. Is the store running the plasmas too dark, or am I correct that plasmas are not as cool as I'm supposed to think they are?

Without starting a new thread, are your tv's plasma? I'm feeling the pull from everyone at the store to go plasma, but the things look too damned DARK to me. They say 'great darks' are a good things, but I'm not sure.

I see a plasma side-by-side with an LED, and dark backgrounds are MISSING details on the plasma...and I can see the details in the LED. Is the store running the plasmas too dark, or am I correct that plasmas are not as cool as I'm supposed to think they are?

I have a 50" plasma and just picked one up for my dad. The picture out of the box was dark, but you put it on dynamic mode (or something to that effect) and the picture is perfect. The LED's look damn good too though and that may be the next one up on my wuish list (65"). Not sure if they have the same alleged issue of blurry action shots on LCD tv's over 42". I believe the plasma's also run hotter and pull down more juice (if that matters).

Just say no to Plasma. At Best Buy ever asscoaite in their was steering me towards Plasma. I ened up getting a LED Sony and My good friend got a Samsung Plasma the same day and there is no competition. Led rules all. Only get a Plasma if your going to have it in a dark room and even then i don't like the picture quality compared to LED's. There is a reason Plasma'as are much much cheaper.

One thing I can suggest if your wanting to get a 3D TV is that you buy a Plasma Display. They are much better at handling 3D technology. There are some issues with Plasma you should be aware of. however. so make sure the room your putting the TV is is not too brightly lit or have too many windows. Plasma Displays do very well in dark rooms.

Plasmas are much Cheaper because the technology has been around much longer than LED's ....If you take good care of the TV you will be fine. I have a 65 Inch LG and its full HD 3D it was the first set to have that technology and its very impressive plus its THX cerified which really means nothing but it was also the first certified 3D set as well. The best thing you can do when making a big investment like this is go to all the different sites and read about all the different technology available and get the TV thats best for your situation.

BTW Panasonic has a great Plasma as well my choices were between the Samsung 9000 series LED the Panasonic or the LG Plasmas and for 3D you really should go Plasma if you can

I think we've settled on a 60 or 65" panasonic. Did any of you buy your tv online?

I've always made big purchases at retail stores, but that comfort is going to cost me about 300 for this transaction.

I bought my TV online at a company called OneCall they work through Amazon and they really go out of their way when packaging the TV they even put these liquid things on the box called "impact Detectors" and if they are red when the delievery comes they want you to call right away. Both of the detectors on my box were green so after I unloaded the TV I tested them by hitting the box progressively harder with my hand to see how much it took before they turn red and it not take much so you can be sure the box was not getting abused on delievery

A lot depends on how the sets are claibrated. I calibrated my set to my liking you can do the same with yours. From what I understand the disney calibration DVD/Bluray is a very good tool to use dont let a sales men talk you into buying that crap

i have active and i like it.. Although it looks more like I'm looking into the tv, like it's a window or cardboard box.. then anything coming out at me... No humming, and I bought one of them newfangled wireless charger things.. glasses sit there charged waiting to be sued..

I'd also recommend you make sure to get a smart tv if splurging for 3d..

Chan can you link what kind of charger your using ? My glasses hook up to the TV via USB and I hate those small connectors on the Glasses.

I'm shocked how many people have these. Are they worth it at this point?

I'm not in the market right now, I just didn't think there was nearly enough content yet?

CTM mentions novelty, is there value to 3D at home beyond that?

Very curious what users think of this in the early stages.

I'm shocked how many people have these. Are they worth it at this point?

I'm not in the market right now, I just didn't think there was nearly enough content yet?

CTM mentions novelty, is there value to 3D at home beyond that?

Very curious what users think of this in the early stages.

I wanted to upgrade my tv, the most important factors for me were 1080p and smart tv... 3d was an after thought and seems to come on all the higher end tv's now

• 1 month later...

Hate to bump an old thread but I wanted to share...

The 60" Panasonic plasma is great. Glad I went plasma, the brightness isn't an issue.

But the OTHER reason I'm glad I went Panasonic just arrived today: UPS just dropped off my free copy of Avatar 3d. :)

Hate to bump an old thread but I wanted to share...

The 60" Panasonic plasma is great. Glad I went plasma, the brightness isn't an issue.

But the OTHER reason I'm glad I went Panasonic just arrived today: UPS just dropped off my free copy of Avatar 3d. :)

CRAP!! I bought a panasonic 3d blue ray player and was supposed to get too.. I never mailed the thing in

I have active only cause Samsung only sells 3D now on certain size sets. I have 59 incher. I had no real desire for 3D and hardly ever use it, but it 'came' with the set.

I'll probably only use it for the few movies that had good ratings and for which the 3d mattered. That said, I just watched 3d avatar last night (first time was 2d) and I'm very pleased.

I'll probably only use it for the few movies that had good ratings and for which the 3d mattered. That said, I just watched 3d avatar last night (first time was 2d) and I'm very pleased.

ya, u can hit a button and it turns regular shows, NCIS, etc into 'fake 3D'..its looks OK, basically gives it depth

Archived