Candidates to replace Schottenhiemer

BroadwayJ667

Premature, yes, but I don't believe any of us give a damn. Charlie Weis, do the Jets give Charlie an invite back to New York? Todd Haley, does he get fired after the season? Bill Callahan, would you prefer him promoted? Norv Turner, you know his a$$ is grass when this season is over, and his system isn't too dissimilar to Schotties, it's just better. Wild Card - Tony Sparano, he was an o-line coach wasn't he, so he knows offense, and as bad as the Dolphins have been, the players respect him and still play hard.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norv Turner's play calling baffles me at times. He gets ultra conservative when the game is on the line. Last weeks 4th quarter against Denver is a perfect example. he had over a minute left in his own stadium and plays for over time. Who does that????

He plays scared and lot the game because of it. I think we would be pulling our hair out if he were here just the same way we do with Schotty.

I want someone with a sack on them. And by sack I do not mean elaborate motions and confusing shifts just to throw a 6 yd out.

I don't see any chance Norv keeps his job in SD. I've been hoping the Bolts continue to fall so he would be freed up. I'd put him at the top of the list of guys I want to see come in as I believe he'd be a very good OC.

Tom Clements is a name I'm going to say I like of guys this would be a promotion for.

No to Callahan, Moore, Turner, or Haley for various reasons.

I like your thinking here. QB coaches who have excelled should be the priority (given the Jets' need to get their QB some coaching). My preference would definitely be a guy on the way up rather than a guy on the way down. The luster is gone from Callahan, Moore isn't taking the job (and anyone could be Peyton Manning's OC), and Norv is a smart offensive guy, but reeks of being a choker/loser.

Tom Clements is a name I'm going to say I like of guys this would be a promotion for.

No to Callahan, Moore, Turner, or Haley for various reasons.

You make note of other peoples posts containing no intelligent explanation of their stance (for whatever reason they may have) and this is the crap you come up with ? If your going to accuse people of something dont contradict yourself in the very next thread.

Bill Callahan or lure Charlie Weiss away from college (great coordinator terrible HC)

I would love for Charlie Weiss to come here . I wonder though did Weiss Fail as a head coach or was he just a terrible recruiter ? Recruiting is a major part of being a great HC in the college ranks but that kind of goes beyond X's and O's

I would love for Charlie Weiss to come here . I wonder though did Weiss Fail as a head coach or was he just a terrible recruiter ? Recruiting is a major part of being a great HC in the college ranks but that kind of goes beyond X's and O's

that had a lot to do it, but one thing is for sure, he can run an offense...his only season in KC he had their offense playing well and they were a playoff team

I like your thinking here. QB coaches who have excelled should be the priority (given the Jets' need to get their QB some coaching). My preference would definitely be a guy on the way up rather than a guy on the way down. The luster is gone from Callahan, Moore isn't taking the job (and anyone could be Peyton Manning's OC), and Norv is a smart offensive guy, but reeks of being a choker/loser.

Well when you mention Norv you have to have the same stance as with Moore, anyone could have coached the offense of the Cowboys in the early 90's that team hammered every defense they went up aganist, they had a Burner (Harper), one of the best Posession WR's in the histroy of the game (Irvin), probably the best O-Line ever, and a mistake free QB, they also had Emmitt Smith and Jay Novacek that team was built By JImmy Johnson and honestly I cant see how anyone would fail with that cast of characters.

that had a lot to do it, but one thing is for sure, he can run an offense...his only season in KC he had their offense playing well and they were a playoff team

Ive always been a big Charlie Weiss fan when we were looking for a HC I wanted the Jets to get him . That may contradict the recruiting point but college is way different than the pros.

If we make the playoffs Schottenheimer isnt going anywhere.

Its such a terrible position to be in. LOL

Make the playoffs and lose because our OC at some point will sh*t the bed. You almost know hes going to pull something stupid like he did vs the Steelers with 1st and goal .

Well when you mention Norv you have to have the same stance as with Moore, anyone could have coached the offense of the Cowboys in the early 90's that team hammered every defense they went up aganist, they had a Burner (Harper), one of the best Posession WR's in the histroy of the game (Irvin), probably the best O-Line ever, and a mistake free QB, they also had Emmitt Smith and Jay Novacek that team was built By JImmy Johnson and honestly I cant see how anyone would fail with that cast of characters.

Herm Edwards FTW

Bill Callahan, Tom Moore, Norv Turner, Todd Haley if he should get fired. All would be improvements over Shotty.

I keep seeing Tom Moore's name being brought up as the logical choice-it will NEVER happen. All any of youse guys have to do is find a video on the Jets site of Moore being interviewed. He seems to have the onset of Parkinson's Disease. He has trouble speaking and could never be counted on to get offensive plays in on time. he's in the perfect role for him now at this point in his life.

Norv has done some decent offensive work since then. Although, like I said, I wouldn't be interested in bring him in here anyway.

Moore was the QB coach/OC at Pittsburgh during the the illustrious Matt Moore/Bubby Brister era. Pretty much doing the same job that Schottenheimer's done here.

I keep seeing Tom Moore's name being brought up as the logical choice-it will NEVER happen. All any of youse guys have to do is find a video on the Jets site of Moore being interviewed. He seems to have the onset of Parkinson's Disease. He has trouble speaking and could never be counted on to get offensive plays in on time. he's in the perfect role for him now at this point in his life.

This !

Tom Moore would not be able to get the plays in to the QB ... Only possible way this could work is if the QB learns Moores offense and calls his own game kind of like Manning did the last few years but that takes years of OC and QB being together you dont just step in and make that type of relationship happen in one year

Norv has done some decent offensive work since then. Although, like I said, I wouldn't be interested in bring him in here anyway.

Moore was the QB coach/OC at Pittsburgh during the the illustrious Matt Moore/Bubby Brister era. Pretty much doing the same job that Schottenheimer's done here.

Cant say I blame Moore fo that . Matt Moore ? Do you mean Malone ? or am I going back to far LOL

This !

Tom Moore would not be able to get the plays in to the QB ... Only possible way this could work is if the QB learns Moores offense and calls his own game kind of like Manning did the last few years but that takes years of OC and QB being together you dont just step in and make that type of relationship happen in one year

Scratch that idea.

If we make the playoffs Schottenheimer isnt going anywhere.

If the Jets don't get as far as the AFC Championship Game, they will have taken a step backwards. They'll be justified in making a move - and the fans will appreciate it (nothing matters more to Woody than that).

The offense is a problem. Schottenheimer is responsible for the offense. A lot of blame can be placed on Sanchez but he's not going anywhere next year, and Schotty/Sanchez clearly isn't working. I think something is going to have to be done. I'd love to see a housecleaning on the offensive side of the ball.

If the Jets don't get as far as the AFC Championship Game, they will have taken a step backwards. They'll be justified in making a move - and the fans will appreciate it (nothing matters more to Woody than that).

The offense is a problem. Schottenheimer is responsible for the offense. A lot of blame can be placed on Sanchez but he's not going anywhere next year, and Schotty/Sanchez clearly isn't working. I think something is going to have to be done. I'd love to see a housecleaning on the offensive side of the ball.

yup hire a new OC and let him bring in his crew including a good QB coach. Ken Obrien is still coaching right ? I would not mind seeing him work with Sanchez he was pretty damn good before he blew out his arm.

Schotty and Cavanaugh yes, but I think there are some good coaches there in particular Anthony Lynn and Callahan

This is by no means a defense of sh*tty but truth be told it has been Rex's vaunted defense that has deserted us at the worst possible times the last few years. If we fail to make the playoffs this year it will be because of the great Ryan/Pettine defense letting possibly the worst starting QB in a generation to take his team 95 yards to beat us. Also, last year's AFCCG if the defense would have made a frigging stop on one of those 3rd and longs we could have been in the Super Bowl

Cant say I blame Moore fo that . Matt Moore ? Do you mean Malone ? or am I going back to far LOL

Yes.

Anyway... maybe you can't blame him for anything there, but what can you credit him with? Sanchez is playing poorly and the Jets need an OC capable of turning that around. The way Harbaugh came into San Francisco and seems to've turned Alex Smith around. Moore did the same level job back then that Schotty's doing now - except now Moore is 100 years old.

As SoFla says, he's not a viable candidate anyway. That's a good thing.

Schotty and Cavanaugh yes, but I think there are some good coaches there in particular Anthony Lynn and Callahan

Callahan is the assistent HC and I would like to see him stay as well. Since the O-Line has been doing a little better as the weeks move on that at least shows some progress in his area even though he has liabilities with 2/5th's of the line.

Yes.

Anyway... maybe you can't blame him for anything there, but what can you credit him with? Sanchez is playing poorly and the Jets need an OC capable of turning that around. The way Harbaugh came into San Francisco and seems to've turned Alex Smith around. Moore did the same level job back then that Schotty's doing now - except now Moore is 100 years old.

As SoFla says, he's not a viable candidate anyway. That's a good thing.

yeah I agree, and Harbaugh is a very good example of having the right influence on a QB. There really are no weaknesses in Sanchez Physically his problems are in his head IMO and I think it can be fixed, We can rebuild him :) , but it has to be done before its too late

What's good about them? The Jets were a good rushing team the year before they got here, stayed good for a couple years - until this one. You'd have to go all the way back to 2005 to find the Jets running worse than they are this season.

I'd hire the best OC candidate, and let him fill out his own staff. If he wanted to keep Lynn and Callahan around, that's fine. But I'd leave it up to the new guy.

If Weis were available, he'd be the top choice. I'd go all out to get him in here.

Other than him:

Gary Kubiak (if he's fired)

Norv Turner

Bill Callahan

and my dark horse.......Jim Fassel

Explain to me how Gary Kubiak is going to get fired?

Archived