Chris Paul Requests Trade to NY

Knix Tix

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if nobody trades for him, you think he is going to resign with the Sterns?

No, I think he'll sign with a team that can offer him a max- or near-max starting salary as a UFA, which puts the Knicks out of the running, save for the highly unlikely scenario in which Amar'e and Melo were to agree to a renegotiated extension in which they add years (but little to no money) to spread out the money and lower the cap hit.

Of course, signing Chandler closes the door to the above scenario anyhow.

No, I think he'll sign with a team that can offer him a max- or near-max starting salary as a UFA, which puts the Knicks out of the running, save for the highly unlikely scenario in which Amar'e and Melo were to agree to a renegotiated extension in which they add years (but little to no money) to spread out the money and lower the cap hit.

Gotcha.

Was this Paul deal really that bad? What am I missing here....wtf is Stern doing?

I don't think it's that the deal was so bad for the Hornets so much as that it was so brazenly cannibalistic for the Lakers. Stern knows as well as anybody else that trying to stop the big markets from barreling small markets with expiring stars is ultimately futile, but letting L.A. convert Gasol and Odom into Paul and massive cap relief is just beyond the pale.

Chandler closes lots of doors. He's fine, he certainly meets our biggest need, but honestly, how does being locked in to a core of Amare/Carmelo/Chandler for 50M a year end anywhere but Isiahtown?

I don't think it's that the deal was so bad for the Hornets so much as that it was so brazenly cannibalistic for the Lakers. Stern knows as well as anybody else that trying to stop the big markets from barreling small markets with expiring stars is ultimately futile, but letting L.A. convert Gasol and Odom into Paul and massive cap relief is just beyond the pale.

I don't understand Houston's angle in this deal at all... they're giving up Scola, Martin, Dragic, and a #1 for Gasol?

^ Ah. Thanks!

Chandler closes lots of doors. He's fine, he certainly meets our biggest need, but honestly, how does being locked in to a core of Amare/Carmelo/Chandler for 50M a year end anywhere but Isiahtown?

I personally love the Chandler signing. But it definitely guarantees an entire season of "WTF IS D'ANTONI DOING???"

I personally love the Chandler signing. But it definitely guarantees an entire season of "WTF IS D'ANTONI DOING???"

Love the signing as our biggest need the last few years has been without a doubt a defensive center who can bang down low and get rebounds; that is exactly what chandler can do. Not only that, but he allows Amare'e to play his much preferred and natural 4 spot, which keeps him healthier, out of foul trouble and more effective.

As for Stern, I hope he brought some lube when Cuban/Gilbert and the other owners bent him over and showed him the 50 states. From what I'm reading the owners basically said, we agree to this 50/50 split, we wanted 47%, we did this for you, now you do something for us. It's absolutely ridiculous, as this is the best offer NO is going to get.

Love the signing as our biggest need the last few years has been without a doubt a defensive center who can bang down low and get rebounds; that is exactly what chandler can do. Not only that, but he allows Amare'e to play his much preferred and natural 4 spot, which keeps him healthier, out of foul trouble and more effective.

The only problem is that this team now is geared for an offensive game that should be the exact opposite of 7SOL. And based on D'Antoni's past two years he just isn't going to stray from that no matter who he has. We're going to have the best frontcourt in the East, maybe the league, and I can still see us just going break after break with Melo chucking it night in and night out. Can't say i agree with Aten on Isiah, but a midseason outrage is definitely inevitable at this point.

Keeping the seat warm for Phil Jackson?

Unless he goes Bono and has crazy European miracle back surgery, I just can't fathom how he'd come back.

BTW, quote from Jackson last year after the league bought New Orleans:

"Who's going to trade who to whom? Who's going to pull the button on trading player or when Chris [Paul] says he has to be traded? How's that going to go? I don't know. Somebody's going to have to make a very nonjudgmental decision on that part that's not going to irritate anybody else in this league ... I don't know how they're going to do that."

The Hornets basketball decisions and day-to-day operations will continue to be controlled by team president Hugh Weber and general manager Dell Demps, but Jackson was skeptical any move made by New Orleans would be viewed as the league helping out another franchise.

"That's what everybody is going to be afraid of: Who is going to be helping who out?" Jackson said.

The only problem is that this team now is geared for an offensive game that should be the exact opposite of 7SOL. And based on D'Antoni's past two years he just isn't going to stray from that no matter who he has. We're going to have the best frontcourt in the East, maybe the league, and I can still see us just going break after break with Melo chucking it night in and night out. Can't say i agree with Aten on Isiah, but a midseason outrage is definitely inevitable at this point.

It reminds me a bit of when the Nets replaced Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles with Vince Carter and the end of the Nets good run. The Nets had to scrap alot of their fast break offense and their back door Princeton half court set (which wasnt good anyway though that was as much a lack of talent level as anything else) because once the ball got into Carters hands it stopped moving and he was not going to break the way the other guys did. These guys are much more talented than those Nets players and it might be worth designing the "Melo halfcourt" to go with his 7SOL on other plays.

While I agree that our current roster is much better suited to a different coach, I was a bit impressed and or surprised with how D'an altered his offense with the arrival of Melo. We became much more of an iso, one-on-one kind of a team, which is something that Amare'e and Melo do better than most of the league, if not all the league, and was strictly frowned upon in Phoenix. I think D'an conceded the iso's are part of who Melo and Amare'e are and worked it into the offense a bit more.

He's obviously still going to preach ball movement and spacing, but our isolation plays and post ups were considerable higher after Melo and CB joined the team and compared to the year prior, we were relying much more on spot-up's than the pick n roll. Granted that is due in large part to our lack of a PG, but I think he's capable of tweaking his gameplan a bit. I think the only thing D'an prefers more than winning with his system, is proving all his critics and haters wrong. If he can win while altering his system to his roster, you're gonna see a lot more of his "I just got a hand-jibber from your sister" post-game smile that you can't wipe off his face after a win.

It's really going to be interesting to see what happens, but I'm really just excited to see Amare'e next to a real 5. I remember those couple months back when the Suns started playing Robin Lobez next to him, he was the best player in the league; just simply dominant. Oh yea, and we also need a point guard. And mike bibby sure as hell ain't the answer.

It's absolutely ridiculous, as this is the best offer NO is going to get.

Seems as though they've come up with a better one already. So now Demps looks like a retard, of course, and Sterns comes off better than he should like all he did was drive a hard bargain, but still. That trade was terrible and the new and improved one is going to be terrible too.

Damn right, all that CP3 talk blew up in your face. Stop being delusional thinking everyone will play for peanuts to play for the Knicks!

Heat > Knicks

Bulls > Knicks

Celtics > Knicks

Orlando > Knicks

Atlanta > Knicks

^ Reality.

I don't know about Atlanta, though. They lost key people and they barely had a better record than the Knicks last year.

Don't disagree on Heat, Celtics, Bulls, or Orlando, though. Knicks are 5th in the East IMO, with a chance to battle the Magic for the 4th spot.

I don't know about Atlanta, though. They lost key people and they barely had a better record than the Knicks last year.

Don't disagree on Heat, Celtics, Bulls, or Orlando, though. Knicks are 5th in the East IMO, with a chance to battle the Magic for the 4th spot.

I could see the Knicks as high as 2 and as low as 6. We'll see how they play together. Main concern if i'm a knick fan is who is going to score while Melo and Amare are on the bench or in foul trouble.

I could see the Knicks as high as 2 and as low as 6. We'll see how they play together. Main concern if i'm a knick fan is who is going to score while Melo and Amare are on the bench or in foul trouble.

Excellent point. That's my concern as well because the Knicks can't afford to have 1 of them on the floor at all times. They both will get worn out with this marathon season.

Excellent point. That's my concern as well because the Knicks can't afford to have 1 of them on the floor at all times. They both will get worn out with this marathon season.

Only time i've really watched Tyson Chandler was in the Finals and it looks like his offensive game is put back and dunks, not sure if he's got a low post game.

Damn right, all that CP3 talk blew up in your face. Stop being delusional thinking everyone will play for peanuts to play for the Knicks!

Heat > Knicks

Bulls > Knicks

Celtics > Knicks

Orlando > Knicks

Atlanta > Knicks

^ Reality.

All that talk?

You mean the one post, where I never said anything about him playing for peanuts to play for the Knicks?

Only time i've really watched Tyson Chandler was in the Finals and it looks like his offensive game is put back and dunks, not sure if he's got a low post game.

That IS Chandler's game. LOL. That's why he's perfect for the Knicks. Chandler will get a ton of put back points off of Melo's and Amar'e's bricks. Chandler will average a double double this season without a single offensive play called for him.

Archived