Remedial Football 101: The NFL Offense

Aten

jif has a fat fetish, rex is fat.. do the math..

imo, the fact is that the league has generally caught up to rex, and this notion that he's some genius X and O guy should be gone.. he's certainly a good defensive coach, and his players like playing for him.. so I'm not knocking him, i just don't think he took a bad defense and made them great without a talent infusion

That is my thought as well...and then it comes down to adjustments...without adjustments on both sides of the ball your dead. On the defensive side of the ball 2009 was just a natural step from 2007 and 2008 along with some infusion of talent. 2010 we took a small step backward and 2011 is what we see currently on the field of play which is at times somewhat dis-jointed and/or seems inconsistent play. On the offensive side of the ball its clear that Favre was more or less calling the offense and if he did not get hurt we would have been in the playofffs and probably done some major damage there. I believe our offense is two fold, stuck somewhat will a QB in progress and everything that brings, along with an OC which is head strong in doing what he believes the team should do. That just magnifies the "issues" we see as fans.

The reality is since 2009, our team has NOT taken the natural next step, by that I mean record wise 9-7 (2009), 11-5 (2010), and 2011 we should be at the very least 9-3 at this point in time. The Raiders game we were up 17-7 and ended up losing and the Denver game no way we should have lost.

In the end we are 7-5, and it is up to the coaching staff to get the most out of the players. And its up to the players to execute and not to make mental and physical mistakes....PERIOD

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What infusion? All he added was Scott and Leonhard and took a mediocre D to the best in the league.

scott , leonard and revis becoming elite

and lito sheppard and margues douqless

+

league taking awhile to catch up to rex's blitz packages

I'm not bitter. I just dont feel like arguing about this. You think DeVito was a bundle of talent that just took 5 years to bloom. I think Rex helped him flurish. Neither can be proven either or...so I dont care to argue about it anymore with you.

What infusion? All he added was Scott and Leonhard and took a mediocre D to the best in the league.

I agree with you about Devito. Rex has shown over and over again that he'll properly develop a d-line. Maybe some don't pan out, but his success rate is pretty damn high for knowing how to evaluate and cultivate talent there. I'm excited about Kenrick Ellis, even if he's struggled early. He's got the natural size and is pretty damn agile. It's just a matter of him learning the proper technique and not getting deported. lol.

scott , leonard and revis becoming elite

+

league taking awhile to catch up to rex's blitz packages

Lito Sheppard and Marques Douglas dude? Really? No, I mean really? Come'on man. I wish I could smack you right now.

BTW - you stupid piece of sh*t. You made fun of me for using the g instead of the q the other day spelling that same name. Dick. h8 u. lfp.

I agree with you about Devito. Rex has shown over and over again that he'll properly develop a d-line. Maybe some don't pan out, but his success rate is pretty damn high for knowing how to evaluate and cultivate talent there. I'm excited about Kenrick Ellis, even if he's struggled early. He's got the natural size and is pretty damn agile. It's just a matter of him learning the proper technique and not getting deported. lol.

If there is one thing I'll never worry about as long as Rex is here, is the play of DL. I dont think anyone in the biz coaches it better.

Lito Sheppard and Marques Douglas dude? Really? No, I mean really? Come'on man. I wish I could smack you right now.

BTW - you stupid piece of sh*t. You made fun of me for using the g instead of the q the other day spelling that same name. Dick. h8 u. lfp.

And i still am, numbnuts

If there is one thing I'll never worry about as long as Rex is here, is the play of DL. I dont think anyone in the biz coaches it better.

This I absolutely agree with. DL is the deepest position on this team by a wide margin, and you have to give Rex some serious credit for that. Just look at a guy like Dixon who was claimed off of waivers from the Cowboys opening weekend last year and has been the first guy off the bench and playing damn well this season.

I wouldn't mind the cat fight, but Lito Sheppard was a significant step up from a rookie Lowery. He let Rex run all those blitz packages. Lito may not have been a top CB, but he was a key to that D and it suffered whenever he got dinged (often).

I wouldn't mind the cat fight, but Lito Sheppard was a significant step up from a rookie Lowery. He let Rex run all those blitz packages. Lito may not have been a top CB, but he was a key to that D and it suffered whenever he got dinged (often).

I dunno. He's wasnt very good. Strickland out performed him that year and I think the D suffered a lot more from his injuries than Lito's. I think overall, our safety play was significantly better than these past 2 years and that made the bigger difference in our ability to blitz.

I dunno. He's wasnt very good. Strickland out performed him that year and I think the D suffered a lot more from his injuries than Lito's. I think overall, our safety play was significantly better than these past 2 years and that made the bigger difference in our ability to blitz.

Strickland was covering TEs. Lito was covering #2s. The same job we are having Cromartie do for $8M+ per and I think Lito did it just as well. Strickland did Strickland's job better than Lito did Lito's job. Lito was still considerably more important to the team.

Strickland was covering TEs. Lito was covering #2s. The same job we are having Cromartie do for $8M+ per and I think Lito did it just as well. Strickland did Strickland's job better than Lito did Lito's job. Lito was still considerably more important to the team.

Well, Lito only played 11 games and started 9, so someone was guarding the outside while he was out and still contributing heavily to the best pass defense in the league and I'm pretty sure Lito was benched during the playoffs. He pretty much sucked dude.

I don't know about that one, Lito was pretty crappy that year. Let's not forget, the guy was a healthy scratch in the AFC Championship. Granted, thanks to injuries in the game to both Strickland and Lowery that decision severely bit the Jets in the a$$, but that tells you all you need to know of what Rex thought of Lito's play.

I don't know about that one, Lito was pretty crappy that year. Let's not forget, the guy was a healthy scratch in the AFC Championship. Granted, thanks to injuries in the game to both Strickland and Lowery that decision severely bit the Jets in the a$$, but that tells you all you need to know of what Rex thought of Lito's play.

Ninja'd...I thought it was the entire playoffs, but I cant remember to be honest.

Lito was the weak link by far in that secondary..even over Lowery - who wasnt a rookie btw Dom.

Ninja'd...I thought it was the entire playoffs, but I cant remember to be honest.

Lito was the weak link by far in that secondary..even over Lowery - who wasnt a rookie btw Dom.

You may be right, but I specifically remember the AFC Championship because of the injuries we had in that game and Drew Coleman subsequently trying to defend Collie and getting owned all over the field.

You may be right, but I specifically remember the AFC Championship because of the injuries we had in that game and Drew Coleman subsequently trying to defend Collie and getting owned all over the field.

Weird...I just looked up his stats during the playoffs and they have him recording tackles...but I honestly thought he was benched for the entire playoffs. I swear there were even threads on it. Maybe they just didnt have him starting?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/3554/year/2009/lito-sheppard

Well, Lito only played 11 games and started 9, so someone was guarding the outside while he was out and still contributing heavily to the best pass defense in the league and I'm pretty sure Lito was benched during the playoffs. He pretty much sucked dude.

Weird...I just looked up his stats during the playoffs and they have him recording tackles...but I honestly thought he was benched for the entire playoffs. I swear there were even threads on it. Maybe they just didnt have him starting?

http://espn.go.com/n...9/lito-sheppard

My comments were not meant to indicate that Sheppard was any kind of great corner for the Jets. Simply that he was an important part of the D. He got dinged at the end of the year and scorched a bit when he came back. They never gave any specific reason for benching him and he was only benched for the Colts game. Sheppard was hurt and already had a quitter/slacker rep, so I don't think they trusted him or his injury in the playoffs. The defense was better when he was playing well earlier in the year. Strickland teased that he could do better and Lowery gave the illusion of having a few decent games down the stretch, so they benched Sheppard who I think they saw as a bit of a wuss. I think he may have taken him out for a few plays against the Chargers which they wouldn't have liked..

I said Sheppard replaced a rookie Lowery because that is what the Jets started at CB the year prior. I believe that Lowery was a rookie in 2008 and that IIRC he had numbers that weren't too bad except for the fact that he had the worst TD against in the NFL. Lowery was a terrible fit for a D looking to play man and was an even worse fit for Rex than Mangini. Sheppard's play for much of the season is a big part of why the Jets were so much better - both against the pass and because they manned up so much the run as well. I don't mean to say that Sheppard was any big deal, but an upgrade at CB2 was a key part of the defensive improvement.

My comments were not meant to indicate that Sheppard was any kind of great corner for the Jets. Simply that he was an important part of the D. He got dinged at the end of the year and scorched a bit when he came back. They never gave any specific reason for benching him and he was only benched for the Colts game. Sheppard was hurt and already had a quitter/slacker rep, so I don't think they trusted him or his injury in the playoffs. The defense was better when he was playing well earlier in the year. Strickland teased that he could do better and Lowery gave the illusion of having a few decent games down the stretch, so they benched Sheppard who I think they saw as a bit of a wuss. I think he may have taken him out for a few plays against the Chargers which they wouldn't have liked..

I said Sheppard replaced a rookie Lowery because that is what the Jets started at CB the year prior. I believe that Lowery was a rookie in 2008 and that IIRC he had numbers that weren't too bad except for the fact that he had the worst TD against in the NFL. Lowery was a terrible fit for a D looking to play man and was an even worse fit for Rex than Mangini. Sheppard's play for much of the season is a big part of why the Jets were so much better - both against the pass and because they manned up so much the run as well. I don't mean to say that Sheppard was any big deal, but an upgrade at CB2 was a key part of the defensive improvement.

Well, if you just would have clarified hours ago you could have saved me the pain of agreeing with BG so much in the same thread.

Well, if you just would have clarified hours ago you could have saved me the pain of agreeing with BG so much in the same thread.

Yeah, it's definitely an unnecessarily painful experience. With the obvious exception of the topic of Eric Smith. As you and I both know, we were the pioneers on that.

Archived