The Giants got jerked...

THE ILK

Fair enough, you can catch the ball one hand w/o cradling it against the body, but in games they usually do.

Regardless, you have to have full control of the ball, and Jennings didn't, (at least as far as I can see). If you've seen it 45 times I guess your mind is made up. As for myself, I honestly don't see how they could call it complete.

Well, there is a difference between what I consider "a catch" and the current rules. The whole ridiculous football move crap is a joke. I will have to watch it again when I am someplace that can see the vid. Does the rule actually state that he has to cradle it to his body? He certainly didn't do that, but if the ball was held in one hand without bobbling I still thought it would be a catch. My impression is that it was a catch but still would be overturned. My Dad was adamant that it was a catch, but he still goes by rules from 1964,

Well, there is a difference between what I consider "a catch" and the current rules. The whole ridiculous football move crap is a joke. I will have to watch it again when I am someplace that can see the vid. Does the rule actually state that he has to cradle it to his body? He certainly didn't do that, but if the ball was held in one hand without bobbling I still thought it would be a catch. My impression is that it was a catch but still would be overturned. My Dad was adamant that it was a catch, but he still goes by rules from 1964,

To my knowledge, the rules do not state that if you catch the ball one handed you must cradle it to your body, only that you maintain control. As a practical matter, in order to maintain control most receivers do end up cradling the ball to their body after catching one handed, but it is not necessary.

My major objection is that the ball is moving all over Jennings' shoulder, rib and hip before being knocked away by the defender-that Jennings never really had control of the ball in the first place. So many catches I've seen this year where the receiver had far more control of the ball, only to have the catch disallowed because one replay angle showed the slightest hint of movement of the ball.

Archived