Sanchez's problems are correctable.

BroadwayJ667

I thought the topic was Mark Sanchez and if his problems were correctable ?

3rd person to say this, I've explained it, stop skimming.

Unfortunately its the teams with incredible talent that usually win SB's

Are you being intentionally obtuse? How many teams have won a SB in the last 20, hell even 30 years without an elite QB? 2 maybe 3?

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3rd person to say this, I've explained it, stop skimming.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? How many teams have won a SB in the last 20, hell even 30 years without an elite QB? 2 maybe 3?

I was just messing with you JIF with a little "JIF" humor

And when you spoke about talent you implied (at least i though you did) that the talent was not just the QB but the entire offense.

AFC East- I'd still take him over Moore and Fitz.

AFC North- Mccoy, Flacco is a push, too early with Dalton but he looks like a stud so that's close

AFC South- Gabbert, Hasslebeck

AFC West- Tebow, Cassel

NFC East- Grossman

NFC North- Ponder

NFC West- Smith, Bradford, Jackson, Kolb

Guys like Freeman, Ryan, Stafford I'd keep ahead of Sanchez and then there are the obvious ones.

Crossed out the guys I'd disagree with. Not sure about Fitz.

sanchez has skills, heart and toughness

all of his problems are between the ears

at age 25, I'm not fully convinced it is correctable

you know those military/ police training drills where a target pops up and they have to decide to shoot/not shoot in the blink of an eye ?

sanchez is missing that type of decision making ability, and I'm not sure if that is instinctive or teachable, but that is what he needs

as jaws would say, "processing information quickly"

This is pretty much dead on, I think.

Though I'm obviously not as enamored by his skill, heart, or toughness.

Heart

Sorry. It was a topic within the topic. dbatesman brought up the Jets being the only contender with a more exciting defense than offense and I commented on it. Matt was replying to my comments regarding that matter. Which was rather enjoyable conversation. It was unique. You know, something other than Sanchez ;-)

To get back on topic. I think everything Sanchez does bad is correctable but that doesnt mean he will make the corrections. I mean, how many F'ing games do you need in the NFL to put it together? 43 games isnt enough?

I still see him doing some of the most miserable things you can do: stares down the pass rush, stares down receivers, holds the ball out to the side of his body when evading pressure, bad footwork, double pumping in the end zone, bad clock management, extremely inaccurate throws, poor decision making. Some of the most fundamental principles of playing QB that should come early in the natural maturation of a QB on at any level who throws the Football. My fear is those are mental and that is harder to overcome than physical skills in many ways.

Sanchez has the physical skills. He's a tough kid, a competitor and has the ability to use that to elevate his game in the big moments. That is a skill that cant be taught. But unfortunately, thats not enough to compensate for those types of flaws unless you have an incredible team surrounding him which is the most difficult way to get it done.

Yerp. Exactly why he could be great at USC. The physical aspect of the game is all that matters when your team is just much better than the opponent physically.

I'd bet Sanchez almost never had to go into a play in which he wasn't sure where the ball was going to go in college.

He just may not be capable of it.

I could ask the same question for talent at the skill positions and it would be maybe 1 team the Pats

Who won 3 times in the 2000's. The steelers haven't had elite WRs either... Unless you count Santonio Holm---- oh, wait.

Randy Moss

Larry Fitzgerald

Calvin Johnson

Terrell Owens

Andre Johnson

Chad Johnson

Steve Smith

Brandon Marshall

Vincent Jackson

Roddy White

Dwayne Bowe

Desean Jackson

Wes Welker

All considered to be elite WRs in recent history. Where are their Super Bowl rings?

Your premise is so very flawed.

Ok, Fitzpatrick, Moore, Grossman, Romo, Vick, Flacco, McCoy, Stafford, Ponder, Orlovsky, Gabbert, Freeman, Tebow, Cassel, Palmer, Kolb, Bradford, Jackson, Smith.

The question was, who would make us a worse team.

Romo stupid... Incredibly stupid.

Stafford is wrong... Bordering on stupid.

Palmer is wrong.

Flacco is wrong.

Smith is wrong.

Moore is wrong.

Freeman, Kolb, and Bradford are on the fence. The rest there's a stronger argument for, though Tebow is a "winner" too, so I don't know why we'd be any worse with him?

The question was, who would make us a worse team.

Romo stupid... Incredibly stupid.

Stafford is wrong... Bordering on stupid.

Palmer is wrong.

Flacco is wrong.

Smith is wrong.

Moore is wrong.

Freeman, Kolb, and Bradford are on the fence. The rest there's a stronger argument for, though Tebow is a "winner" too, so I don't know why we'd be any worse with him?

Romo blows it constantly, put him in Schotty's offense forget it. Stafford has trouble even staying on the field. Flacco, and Smith are not better than Sanchez, Matt Moore sucks, Palmer is getting old, and Freeman, Kolb, and Bradford have accomplished nothing compared to Sanchez. Freeman feasted on bad teams last year and the other two have done nothing. Tebow hardly throws, not what we need in a QB.

Romo blows it constantly, put him in Schotty's offense forget it. Stafford has trouble even staying on the field. Flacco, and Smith are not better than Sanchez, Matt Moore sucks, Palmer is getting old, and Freeman, Kolb, and Bradford have accomplished nothing compared to Sanchez. Freeman feasted on bad teams last year and the other two have done nothing. Tebow hardly throws, not what we need in a QB.

Romo is consistently in the top of the league statistically. It's amazing how all the "It's not all the QB's fault Sanchez defenders" are quick to kill another QB for losses.

Stafford's going to be a star in this league. He's been hurt, in the past, but he's fine and playing well now.

Smith's history is not better. He's been significantly better this year. We wouldn't be a worse team with Smith.

Flacco is at worst a push. Same idiotic decisions, with significantly better physical tools than Sanchez.

Palmer's age is irrelevant, we're not talking about the future.

Moore is playing significantly better than Sanchez on a significantly worse team. You simply don't want to admit this one, because it's the Dolphins.

Freeman, Bradford, and Kolb have all been on worse teams than Sanchez, this is about QB play, not how good their teams are. It's a hypothetical situation... You should ask Smash about that.

Who won 3 times in the 2000's. The steelers haven't had elite WRs either... Unless you count Santonio Holm---- oh, wait.

Randy Moss

Larry Fitzgerald

Calvin Johnson

Terrell Owens

Andre Johnson

Chad Johnson

Steve Smith

Brandon Marshall

Vincent Jackson

Roddy White

Dwayne Bowe

Desean Jackson

Wes Welker

All considered to be elite WRs in recent history. Where are their Super Bowl rings?

Ha! There's even more, you could do RB's too and literally go on and on. I chose to quote this instead of Smash in response to his post because I think its hilarious that the best WR on 2 of the last 4 SB Champs are currently on the NY Jets. And he has a certain disdain for both of them.

Randy Moss

Larry Fitzgerald

Calvin Johnson

Terrell Owens

Andre Johnson

Chad Johnson

Steve Smith

Brandon Marshall

Vincent Jackson

Roddy White

Dwayne Bowe

Desean Jackson

Wes Welker

Oh look and with rep from Jiffy pop in tow.

Im not sure how many times I have to explain this but it takes talent all the way around to win a SB and NEVER ONCE have i said its ALL about the WR's so this post is rediculous in its premise. You guys are pitiful with your arguements. What you should try to do is find teams that had bad Skill players on offense that won SB's if you want to have the real debate but Im guessing you wont find very many. While the Pats had some medicore offenses that won SB's they certainly were clutch which trumps mediocrity in big games every time. That team won with defense and cheating.

Ha! There's even more, you could do RB's too and literally go on and on. I chose to quote this instead of Smash in response to his post because I think its hilarious that the best WR on 2 of the last 4 SB Champs are currently on the NY Jets. And he has a certain disdain for both of them.

I dont mind Plax he has contributed more than I expected But Holmes is right on course for his usual JAG type season sprinkled with some great catches to keep goof balls like you wanting more and more that will never come.

Oh look and with rep from Jiffy pop in tow.

Im not sure how many times I have to explain this but it takes talent all the way around to win a SB and NEVER ONCE have i said its ALL about the WR's so this post is rediculous in its premise. You guys are pitiful with your arguements. What you should try to do is find teams that had bad Skill players on offense that won SB's if you want to have the real debate but Im guessing you wont find very many. While the Pats had some medicore offenses that won SB's they certainly were clutch which trumps mediocrity in big games every time. That team won with defense and cheating.

You talk again and again about how we need to get Sanchez a "Stud" WR. Yet, "Stud" WRs have a long history of not winning Super Bowls. As JiF points out, two of the best WRs in the last 4 years, to win Super Bowls are on the Jets. Yet, that's somehow not good enough for Mark Sanchez.

As for the Pats, they also won because of Tom Brady, and a mediocre offense would be a step up from the one Mark Sanchez runs.

Smash, besides your repeatedly flawed arguments, it's hard to take you seriously when you constantly say "rediculous".

Fully aware that this topic is going to spiral into a Sanchez sucks vs, Sanchez will be awesome thread, I am going to write my observations anyway.

After rewatching the Jets games this season I am convinced Sanchez will be a very good quarterback, but there are things that he must work on. Many of the passes that sail on his receivers are a result of sloppy footwork. The pass he threw to Plaxico in the first quarter of the Skins game sailed a tad high, because after the pump he had already planted his feet. If he had taken his front foot and driven through it with the ball, the pass would have been on target and likely a TD. Again later in the game this same scenario played out on a pass towards Keller along the sideline. The result was the same, a pass over the targets reach. This has been the one of the more consistent problems he has had this year.

When he sets his feet or uses proper technique the passes are consistently in a spot where the receiver can make a play.

Other issues have arisen, such as in the 2nd bills game, on 2nd down, in the 4th quarter, Sanchez had Plaxico in single man coverage. Plaxico had just begun his break back to the line of scrimmage a yard past the first down marker, he was open by NFL standards. Sanchez saw this, but interestingly pump faked and threw into double coverage for patrick turner, while on target, the ball should not have been thrown there, and the pass was broken up.

Some of these I will partly attribute to inconsistent O-line play and chemistry issues with the wideouts, however the responsibility still lies with Sanchez. On the bright side these are not fatal flaws, and despite these Sanchez still finds ways to win games, which is most important.

While these will not likely be correctly completely this year, another offseason should provide another opportunity for improvement.

You may all descend into a flame war now.

Bingo

Larz this is a very hard point to prove IMO points can be made for both sides of the arguement but without a play book and game film its hard to tell . With lots of problems overall with our offense and what some would call an Idiot at OC I tend to lean on the coaching since even simple problems like substitutions seem to creep up way to often.

that's the thing. you can coach the kid for 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, but when the target pops up, and it's a little kid, and he blows her head off, you just have to start to admit his grey matter just isn't good enough for the job

I'm pretty sure shotty tells him to throw it away when he scrambles and there is nothing there in the redzone

when he throws late and it's a redzone pick, that's him blowing the kids head off

again, I'n no psychiatrist, I'm not sure, but I think to a degree that is instincitve and not teachable

again, I'n no psychiatrist, I'm not sure, but I think to a degree that is instincitve and not teachable

Well, you're right. It's called process speed. It's measured on most IQ tests and there's a full index for it on the most widely used intelligence test out there.

You get a pretty wide range in this, and along with working memory, it's where a lot of your ADHD diagnoses originate from.

sanchez has skills, heart and toughness

all of his problems are between the ears

at age 25, I'm not fully convinced it is correctable

you know those military/ police training drills where a target pops up and they have to decide to shoot/not shoot in the blink of an eye ?

sanchez is missing that type of decision making ability, and I'm not sure if that is instinctive or teachable, but that is what he needs

as jaws would say, "processing information quickly"

I generally agree with this, but I think it is an attempt to correct his "correctable" mistakes that makes him do these things. He doesn't have a big arm which is why the footwork is so important. I remember watching the boards new Ratliff, McElroy, in the preseason and while some said that he could make all the throws there were times when he made Pennington look like Elway. He absolutely has to step into the throw or the ball isn't moving. Sanchez isn't that bad, but it alters his accuracy considerably. I think Sanchez overthinks things at times. He sees guys open, but doubts himself because he may be afraid he missed a defender or he sees an open player but wants to make sure that he checks for a deeper route. It's the drawback of playing for a winner. If they sucked the team could have turned him loose to throw picks like a rookie Peyton. We didn't have that luxury so I guess we'll just have to live with his development for the time being and cross our fingers.

Serious question, how many NFL starters do you think we would be a worse team with?

ignoring guys forced to play cause of injury..

5 guys

Gabbert, Painter, T Jackson, Mccoy, Grossmn..

Then there's about 4-6 guys that are iffy.. Bradford, Freeman, Kolb, Ponder, etc..

on edit: Maybe Ponder securely in the first group...

You talk again and again about how we need to get Sanchez a "Stud" WR. Yet, "Stud" WRs have a long history of not winning Super Bowls. As JiF points out, two of the best WRs in the last 4 years, to win Super Bowls are on the Jets. Yet, that's somehow not good enough for Mark Sanchez.

As for the Pats, they also won because of Tom Brady, and a mediocre offense would be a step up from the one Mark Sanchez runs.

Smash, besides your repeatedly flawed arguments, it's hard to take you seriously when you constantly say "rediculous".

not sure why I did that I know its ridiculous. Im sorry spelling puts you out so much.

Im not sure why I keep arguing with people who do nothing more than twist my words to make silly points. As if I said one position wins Superbowls which you guys know is furthest from the truth. But by reading posts from most of the Sanchez/Qb haters I can make a good case that in your opinion its only about the QB screw the rest of the team if you got an elite QB your winning the SB at some point. Only one QB that I remember in 40 years of watching NFL football that took entire teams on his back and willed them into SB's only to get destroyed when he got there by superior teams and that was John Elway. Finally when his teams got better talent in the Late 90's he got his 2 well deserved rings. Amazing what a Superstar RB, Great WR's, and a HOF TE will do for ya.

Romo is consistently in the top of the league statistically. It's amazing how all the "It's not all the QB's fault Sanchez defenders" are quick to kill another QB for losses.

Stafford's going to be a star in this league. He's been hurt, in the past, but he's fine and playing well now.

Smith's history is not better. He's been significantly better this year. We wouldn't be a worse team with Smith.

Flacco is at worst a push. Same idiotic decisions, with significantly better physical tools than Sanchez.

Palmer's age is irrelevant, we're not talking about the future.

Moore is playing significantly better than Sanchez on a significantly worse team. You simply don't want to admit this one, because it's the Dolphins.

Freeman, Bradford, and Kolb have all been on worse teams than Sanchez, this is about QB play, not how good their teams are. It's a hypothetical situation... You should ask Smash about that.

When the game is on the line Romo costs the Cowboys games that they have in hand with fumbles and other mind bogglingly stupid mistakes, while Sanchez wins us games once he starts calling his own plays.

Stafford puts the ball up half the time and hopes Calvin Johnson catches it, and he's still banged up all the time.

Alex Smith does less for the 49ers than Sanchez does here.

Palmer's been worse than Sanchez.

Matt Moore hasn't done much. When they've relied on him to win, he hasn't. His stats in their last five games are:

@ KC- 17-23 244 3-0 W

vs WSH 20-29 209 0-1 W

vs BUF 14-20 160 3-0 W

@ DAL 19-32 288 1-0 L

vs OAK 13-25 162 1-0 W

Do not see how that is "significantly better".

Kolb, Bradford, and Freeman have not played well. Bradford and Freeman feasted on bad teams last year and this year reality has caught up to them. As for Kolb he was never that good and I don't know what Arizona even saw in him.

not sure why I did that I know its ridiculous. Im sorry spelling puts you out so much.

Im not sure why I keep arguing with people who do nothing more than twist my words to make silly points. As if I said one position wins Superbowls which you guys know is furthest from the truth. But by reading posts from most of the Sanchez/Qb haters I can make a good case that in your opinion its only about the QB screw the rest of the team if you got an elite QB your winning the SB at some point. Only one QB that I remember in 40 years of watching NFL football that took entire teams on his back and willed them into SB's only to get destroyed when he got there by superior teams and that was John Elway. Finally when his teams got better talent in the Late 90's he got his 2 well deserved rings. Amazing what a Superstar RB, Great WR's, and a HOF TE will do for ya.

We twist your words because you talk out both sides of your mouth. We provide some evidence that would counter your argument and then its our fault because we are twisting your words or not getting your point.

Heart

Sorry. It was a topic within the topic. dbatesman brought up the Jets being the only contender with a more exciting defense than offense and I commented on it. Matt was replying to my comments regarding that matter. Which was rather enjoyable conversation. It was unique. You know, something other than Sanchez ;-)

To get back on topic. I think everything Sanchez does bad is correctable but that doesnt mean he will make the corrections. I mean, how many F'ing games do you need in the NFL to put it together? 43 games isnt enough?

I still see him doing some of the most miserable things you can do: stares down the pass rush, stares down receivers, holds the ball out to the side of his body when evading pressure, bad footwork, double pumping in the end zone, bad clock management, extremely inaccurate throws, poor decision making. Some of the most fundamental principles of playing QB that should come early in the natural maturation of a QB on at any level who throws the Football. My fear is those are mental and that is harder to overcome than physical skills in many ways.

Sanchez has the physical skills. He's a tough kid, a competitor and has the ability to use that to elevate his game in the big moments. That is a skill that cant be taught. But unfortunately, thats not enough to compensate for those types of flaws unless you have an incredible team surrounding him which is the most difficult way to get it done.

Is 43 games enough ? I don't know.

Roethlisberger didn't really start his ascension into the top tier of QB's until his 4th year

Brees became a stud his third year and didn't win a Super Bowl until his 8th full season

Flacco had a great year last year and has struggled at times this year

Peyton Manning was great his second year.

As I said in another thread. I think there is a set timetable for when a QB matures. Some mature real fast, some it takes time, some never.

The one thing I think most of us agree on is that Sanchez has shown "flashes" of being a top tier QB. He also shown flashes of being Browning Nagle.

If it were simply a case of one misspelling, it'd be one thing. But, one can only be told how stupid they are by someone with a loose grasp of the English language so long before they can't help but comment. For instance, "que" is a word in Spanish meaning what, whereas "cue" is English.

No one twists your words, your points are actually that logically flawed. Every QB you've blamed on the OC, or the WRs, or the RB, yet we've had significantly better players at those positions, as has been evidenced by their performance on other teams, but you ignore this, and keep saying we need to get better at the position. You also won't answer questions that contradict your points, so arguing with you is just pointing out the same flaw over and over again, because you resist movement.

We twist your words because you talk out both sides of your mouth. We provide some evidence that would counter your argument and then its our fault because we are twisting your words or not getting your point.

I dont think you have ever provided evidence on anything TBH. You just make silly off the wall statements based on things Ive said that have nothing to do with the Current subject matter.

For instance Just because I say the Jets should try and get an Elite Receiver thats young that Sanchez can grow with you twist that into Smash said you cant win a SB without Elite Receivers and EY props up some list and you guys do this over and over. I mention something and you bring it to its most ridiculous point and then say I said it, when I never did.

My stance has always been to surround Sanchez with talent and I said it when we drafted him I hope we dont pull a pennington and do nothing and thats exactly what we did. NOTHING then year after year we bring in other teams discards and expect miracles. Its really a huge joke IMO.

If you guys dont think Sanchez has what it takes Im fine with that and I will respectfully disagree but dont make up crap to back your stories that never existed anywhere but in your own mind.

Is 43 games enough ? I don't know.

Roethlisberger didn't really start his ascension into the top tier of QB's until his 4th year

Brees became a stud his third year and didn't win a Super Bowl until his 8th full season

Flacco had a great year last year and has struggled at times this year

Peyton Manning was great his second year.

As I said in another thread. I think there is a set timetable for when a QB matures. Some mature real fast, some it takes time, some never.

The one thing I think most of us agree on is that Sanchez has shown "flashes" of being a top tier QB. He also shown flashes of being Browning Nagle.

Maybe, who knows. All I know is watching him is infuriating. The fact I'm a Jets fan and this team seems good enough right now to win it all if only we had an above average QB, just makes it that much more frustrating.

If it were simply a case of one misspelling, it'd be one thing. But, one can only be told how stupid they are by someone with a loose grasp of the English language so long before they can't help but comment. For instance, "que" is a word in Spanish meaning what, whereas "cue" is English.

No one twists your words, your points are actually that logically flawed. Every QB you've blamed on the OC, or the WRs, or the RB, yet we've had significantly better players at those positions, as has been evidenced by their performance on other teams, but you ignore this, and keep saying we need to get better at the position. You also won't answer questions that contradict your points, so arguing with you is just pointing out the same flaw over and over again, because you resist movement.

We have discussed 2 QB's Pennington and Sanchez and in both cases the talent they had was SH!T . You keep claiming other players did better on other teams and I think your refering to Coles who went to the Skins and put up similar numbers to what he did here and Moss who had a damn good year here and one really good year with the Skins 2 years after he left the Jets. Your points are FLAWED not mine got any more players you would like to bring up in your little arguement ?

I dont think you have ever provided evidence on anything TBH. You just make silly off the wall statements based on things Ive said that have nothing to do with the Current subject matter.

For instance Just because I say the Jets should try and get an Elite Receiver thats young that Sanchez can grow with you twist that into Smash said you cant win a SB without Elite Receivers and EY props up some list and you guys do this over and over. I mention something and you bring it to its most ridiculous point and then say I said it, when I never did.

My stance has always been to surround Sanchez with talent and I said it when we drafted him I hope we dont pull a pennington and do nothing and thats exactly what we did. NOTHING then year after year we bring in other teams discards and expect miracles. Its really a huge joke IMO.

If you guys dont think Sanchez has what it takes Im fine with that and I will respectfully disagree but dont make up crap to back your stories that never existed anywhere but in your own mind.

Wow, seriously?

You've talked about the importance of chemistry and time with receivers - I think it shouldnt matter with a good QB. I've shown you examples of where it hasnt this very season. Then you tell me I'm twisting your words.

You've talked of surrounding him with talent and familiar talent - I've shown you that he's returning 3 of his top 4 receiving targets and that he's currently playing with 2 SB winning WR's. You tell me thats not the point and I'm being ridiculous.

I asked how many teams have won a SB without an elite QB? You responded you could flip it and ask the same for skill positions, EY pointed to many elite WR's who never won it. But we are twisting your words.

Either you need to do a better job of clarifying your point or you need to do a better job supporting your point when evidence is provided that would say otherwise.

Wow, seriously?

You've talked about the importance of chemistry and time with receivers - I think it shouldnt matter with a good QB. I've shown you examples of where it hasnt this very season. Then you tell me I'm twisting your words.

This is an amazing point you make here which contradicts what just about every QB says whos asked this type of question. Once again pretty stupid

You've talked of surrounding him with talent and familiar talent - I've shown you that he's returning 3 of his top 4 receiving targets and that he's currently playing with 2 SB winning WR's. You tell me thats not the point and I'm being ridiculous.

3 of 4 top receiving targets ???? Keller and Santonio so 1 of 4 WR's and his TE 2 of the guys we brought in Were obviously 1 year fixes in a CBA shortened offseason which made them all the more stupid and the 38 year old wanted out because the OC is a moron. yeah we did a bang up job. Oh did I forget the beat down RB ? my bad

I asked how many teams have won a SB without an elite QB? You responded you could flip it and ask the same for skill positions, EY pointed to many elite WR's who never won it. But we are twisting your words.

This could be the stupidest thing I have ever read picking WR's from a pool of the entire NFL to make a point . Of course there will be elite WR's that may never win a SB the same can be said for some eilte QB's that does not mean an Elite WR would not be a huge help to a young QB Kind of like Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson why would we want guys like that ?

Either you need to do a better job of clarifying your point or you need to do a better job supporting your point when evidence is provided that would say otherwise. I clarify you twist now EY has taken to the spelling arguement and calling people stupid for their opinions, so i figured i would throw some stupids out there just for the hell of it.

There I answered you point by point just so you dont get mixed up :)

If your going to call people and their opinions stupid Im done talking with you.

Archived