Sanchez's problems are correctable.

BroadwayJ667

The game has changed...the rules have changed...Disguised packages is what its all about today. Not saying that 10-30 years ago, this type of defensive strategy wasnt used, it was but it was more about you beating the other guy physically. Take a look at the Bears defense of 1985 which is a good example of what some teams are trying to do today. The bottom line is it comes down to execution and personnel. Not only did that defense beat you physically, it out smarted you as well.

Take a look at the Sack Exchange...look at the front 4, then see what the LB's were doing....brutal physical play.

Some say that today's players are stronger and faster, that might be the case for a few players, but is not the case across the board., Just look at the two defenses I mention here and you will get the picture.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disagree. I was actually going to start a thread on this...I think its awful.

Problem is the top end is so damn good it masks how low the overall play in the NFL actually is. Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben - all HOF QB's playing in the same era. The rest of the league is mediocre at best to horrible. Considering all the rule changes, it should be significantly better across the board and its not, yet only these guys are truly taking advantage of it.

Its a good discussion and one I might bring up in its own thread. Might be a nice break from the norm though I'm sure it will turn into another Sanchez discussion.

Rodgers is a HOF QB now?

IMO, it's become more of a mental game now than it was because of the rules against contact. You can't just line up and beat the crap out of receivers like the old Giants and Pats teams tried to do. Now, it's all about decoding the 6-7-8 DB/multiple-front/zone-blitz packages, which is really separating the QBs that have a natural feel for the passing game and can adjust on the fly from the ones that are classroom-trained robots that don't adjust as fast. You hear more and more about defenses changing entire coverages multiple times while the QB is still in his cadence, totally porking the concept of the old "pre-snap read." Now, it's all about the immediately-post-snap read. If you're good at it, you'll feast. If you're not, you're going to watch a lot of your passes returned the other way for TDs. Better to be street smart than book smart, so to speak.

I still think the pre-snap read is very important. Perfect example was Brady vs. the Jets. He was reading it perfectly, making the perfect protection changes, perfect routes adjustment and then delivering the ball was easy.

Rodgers is a HOF QB now?

Are you watching him? He's the best QB in the NFL. He's having an MVP season, he'll probably win back to back SB's and he's got another 7 years left of playing at this level. Barring a career ending injury, his spot in Canton is booked.

Is it the these QB's are really that good, or is it that the game/rules have changed? It might be a little of both. Before I say Roger's is a HOF QB, we need to see a couple of more years of play. Brady = HOF and Manning = HOF.

Brees = Not HOF at the moment....Big Ben = almost HOF.

Brees is clearly a HOF QB, even if he retired before this weekend.

Based on what? Is Brees better than Brady? NO, Is Brees better than Manning? NO...Maybe in 2-3 Years of sustained play Brees is a HOF QB, Same goes for Big Ben and the Same goes for Rogers....

Based on what? Is Brees better than Brady? NO, Is Brees better than Manning? NO...Maybe in 2-3 Years of sustained play Brees is a HOF QB, Same goes for Big Ben and the Same goes for Rogers....

So the measure of whether someone is HOF worthy is dependent upon being better than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady?

Based on what? Guy averages 4000 passing yards a season (while spending the first half of his career in a Martyball offense) and has done it for the past 6 years (and counting) while completing 2/3 of his passes. How many shootout-type QB's in NFL history complete 2/3 of their passes (and over the past 3 years it's like 70%)?

He's on pace for his second 5000-yard season, while completing over 70% of his attempts, and there is no Randy Moss or Marvin Harrison or Duper/Clayton duo.

The HOF is, in theory, the best & most dominant players ever not who has the most cumulative of something for his career. If it was, Curtis Martin would have been a mortal lock to be a first-ballot HOF'er, which he isn't and wasn't. That's why he has to wait for a weak eligibility class and Steve Young, who is on zero all-time TD & yardage & other longevity-type lists, sails in during his first eligible year.

He is a dominant force and an all-time great QB and a HOF lock right now.

Are you watching him? He's the best QB in the NFL. He's having an MVP season, he'll probably win back to back SB's and he's got another 7 years left of playing at this level. Barring a career ending injury, his spot in Canton is booked.

..Plenty of players have had one big season and then nothing after. The fact you're already booking him as a HoF QB is laughable. What happens if he gets injured...You do remember his concussion problem...right?

Barring an injury he is easily playing at first ballot HOF levels right now.

^^^^

One year =/= HOF

..Plenty of players have had one big season and then nothing after. The fact you're already booking him as a HoF QB is laughable. What happens if he gets injured...You do remember his concussion problem...right?

^^^^

One year =/= HOF

What are you talking about? Rodgers has had more than 1 great season. This is like his 3rd or 4th in a row.

Now I agree he realistically needs to throw more than 2000 passes to get into Canton, but this is in no way his first great year unless you've been hibernating since Brett Favre left Green Bay.

How many "big seasons" did Steve Young have?

^^^^

One year =/= HOF

Please provide the list of QBs that have had a similar season as Rogers then dropped off to nothing after

^^^^

One year =/= HOF

Did you just start watching the NFL this season? One year? LMFAO!!!

FTR, I said barring injury and I'll say this now too....barring injury, Aaron Rodgers will go down as the GOAT!

Please provide the list of QBs that have had a similar season as Rogers then dropped off to nothing after

He's actually got a point with the drop off, but he's a year late. Last year was the first year he didnt throw for over 4k in yards. So, he did drop off - nevermind he was the SB MVP and all that and never mind what he's doing his year. I mean, every year there's a QB going for 40+ TD's, 4k yrds and complete 70% of his passes.

Drop off - lmfao

I'm more curious how someone thinks his prior Pro Bowl, 30-TD, 7-INT, 4400-yard season doesn't constitute a great season. If GB's defense could keep Arizona to under 45 points maybe that would have classified Rodgers as a better QB. Then another great season the following year, ending with a SB ring where he was SB MVP, is also pretty mediocre. Clearly Brandon Jackson was the straw that stirred the drink up there in 2010.

He needs a bit longer career than 4 seasons to get serious HOF consideration, but the notion that he's having a Scott Mitchell or Steve Beuerlein type of one-year-wonder season is absurd, if not ignorant.

Did you just start watching the NFL this season? One year? LMFAO!!!

FTR, I said barring injury and I'll say this now too....barring injury, Aaron Rodgers will go down as the GOAT!

What a joke. This is Rodgers fourth season in the NFL. Peyton Manning has been an elite QB for 12 years. I can't believe people are saying Rodgers will be the GOAT. Look at Peytons 04' season or Brady's 07'.

I'm more curious how someone thinks his prior Pro Bowl, 30-TD, 7-INT, 4400-yard season doesn't constitute a great season. If GB's defense could keep Arizona to under 45 points maybe that would have classified Rodgers as a better QB. Then another great season the following year, ending with a SB ring where he was SB MVP, is also pretty mediocre. Clearly Brandon Jackson was the straw that stirred the drink up there in 2010.

He needs a bit longer career than 4 seasons to get serious HOF consideration, but the notion that he's having a Scott Mitchell or Steve Beuerlein type of one-year-wonder season is absurd, if not ignorant.

Sure, but its pretty damn easy to see this guy is headed for Canton. He's the best QB in the league and he can do it all. He's like a Peyton, Brady and Big Ben mixed all in one. He'll win the chess match, he'll kill you from the pocket, but he throws better on the run than anyone I've ever seen. I honestly think he'll go down as the best ever to play. The guy is unreal.

I dont get it. I realize that defensive players are bigger and faster than ever, but they cant touch the Qb, cant touch the WR and have to worry about not drawing a penalty when tackling or hitting certain players. Yet, Qb's still in the great majority, suck. Its just the great ones are doing it so well, we think its overall better, but its just not.

see but look at namath's stats... most of the Henne's of the world look good or atleast decent when comparing to pre-WCO

What a joke. This is Rodgers fourth season in the NFL. Peyton Manning has been an elite QB for 12 years. I can't believe people are saying Rodgers will be the GOAT. Look at Peytons 04' season or Brady's 07'.

Why is it so hard to imagine? He's the best QB in the league and he's only what 27/28? And this is just my opinion...I dont see others saying it...but the guy is in another dimension. He's more athletic than Peyton and Brady and he's just as deadly from the pocket dissecting the defense. The dude is the ultimate weapon. Like I said, he's Brady, Manning and Big Ben all rolled into one.

If he sustains this level of play for the next 7 years, which I think he will, he'll have a bunch of titles and go down as the GOAT. I think he's that good.

Not getting your point...

My point is that a lot of the guys we are saying "suck" are putting up decent stats when you compare to 30 years ago..

1981 Sanchez's QBR would put in 9th in the league.. his td rate would put him at 5th... his completion % 11, and his int's about middle of league.... the guys basically putting up pro bowl type numbers for 1981 and we think he sucks

My point is that a lot of the guys we are saying "suck" are putting up decent stats when you compare to 30 years ago..

1981 Sanchez's QBR would put in 9th in the league.. his td rate would put him at 5th... his completion % 11, and his int's about middle of league.... the guys basically putting up pro bowl type numbers for 1981 and we think he sucks

Thats the point Jason and I were trying to make. The league has done everything in its power to cater to the QB and passing but largely they all still suck.

Why is it so hard to imagine? He's the best QB in the league and he's only what 27/28? And this is just my opinion...I dont see others saying it...but the guy is in another dimension. He's more athletic than Peyton and Brady and he's just as deadly from the pocket dissecting the defense. The dude is the ultimate weapon. Like I said, he's Brady, Manning and Big Ben all rolled into one.

If he sustains this level of play for the next 7 years, which I think he will, he'll have a bunch of titles and go down as the GOAT. I think he's that good.

I'm pretty sure Vick was determined the "ultimate" weapon. There's no possibly way that he repeats this season for 7 YEARS

I'm pretty sure Vick was determined the "ultimate" weapon. There's no possibly way that he repeats this season for 7 YEARS

You're not honestly comparing Vick to Rodgers.

And why not? He's been doing it for 4 straight years...do you see anything about his play that looks like he's slowing down? He gets better every year and he's in his prime for the next 4-5 years. I'm not really sure what your problem is with the guy...he's the best QB in the league. Hands down. If Peyton, Brady, Favre, Manning, Brees could do it for a sustain period time and he's superior player/athlete...why cant he repeat the seasons he's been having. Maybe he doesnt play every year like this season but if he maintains the type of years he's had in his first 4...he's going to Canton. First ballot and will be in the talk of the GOAT.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. The dude is seriously unbelievable.

You're not honestly comparing Vick to Rodgers.

And why not? He's been doing it for 4 straight years...do you see anything about his play that looks like he's slowing down? He gets better every year and he's in his prime for the next 4-5 years. I'm not really sure what your problem is with the guy...he's the best QB in the league. Hands down. If Peyton, Brady, Favre, Manning, Brees could do it for a sustain period time and he's superior player/athlete...why cant he repeat the seasons he's been having. Maybe he doesnt play every year like this season but if he maintains the type of years he's had in his first 4...he's going to Canton. First ballot and will be in the talk of the GOAT

You don't get what I'm saying. Before the seasons started Mike Vick was deemed the "Ultimate weapon", look where he ended up.

There's simply nothing pointing to the reasoning that Aaron Rodgers will have 7 straight historic seasons in a row just because he's played very very good this season. Look at Brady in 07' and Peyton in 04', they didn't follow their seasons with the same exact season. What you're trying to say is very unlikely. There's simply no way that Rodgers will have a string of 7 historic seasons in a row.

You don't get what I'm saying. Before the seasons started Mike Vick was deemed the "Ultimate weapon", look where he ended up.

Not to pat myself on the back, but I predicted the Eagles season perfectly. I said Vick was a total and utter waste of money, that he sucks and I guarantee he doesnt play a full season. I also predicted that the Eagles wouldnt make the playoffs. He's far from the ultimate weapon...he's the ultimate overrated player who quite frankly, sucks.

There's simply nothing pointing to the reasoning that Aaron Rodgers will have 7 straight historic seasons in a row just because he's played very very good this season.

I'd say having 4 straight seasons of elite QB play and improving each and every season is a very good indication of his future. Like I said, maybe he doesnt continue having seasons like this, but if he continues having seasons similar to this or his first 3 years, he's going to Canton and there will be no question about it. The question will be, is he the GOAT.

Look at Brady in 07' and Peyton in 04', they didn't follow their seasons with the same exact season. What you're trying to say is very unlikely. There's simply no way that Rodgers will have a string of 7 historic seasons in a row

I get that. And I've admitted he probably wont continue having seasons like this. Peyton and Brady didnt, but they are still considered 2 of the best of all time because they are consistently elite, which the same can be said about Rodgers.

The bottom line is, he's going to be the best QB in the league for next 4-5 years at least, barring injury. Typically if you are the best at your position for that long of a duration and were in the conversation before becoming the absolute best, then you go to Canton. Especially if you're a QB.

You're acting like he was a middle of the road QB for the last 4 years. He might currently be the best player in all of sports at his respected position and that will be the case for as long as he's healthy.

Not to pat myself on the back, but I predicted the Eagles season perfectly. I said Vick was a total and utter waste of money, that he sucks and I guarantee he doesnt play a full season. I also predicted that the Eagles wouldnt make the playoffs. He's far from the ultimate weapon...he's the ultimate overrated player who quite frankly, sucks.

I'd say having 4 straight seasons of elite QB play and improving each and every season is a very good indication of his future. Like I said, maybe he doesnt continue having seasons like this, but if he continues having seasons similar to this or his first 3 years, he's going to Canton and there will be no question about it. The question will be, is he the GOAT.

I get that. And I've admitted he probably wont continue having seasons like this. Peyton and Brady didnt, but they are still considered 2 of the best of all time because they are consistently elite, which the same can be said about Rodgers.

The bottom line is, he's going to be the best QB in the league for next 4-5 years at least, barring injury. Typically if you are the best at your position for that long of a duration and were in the conversation before becoming the absolute best, then you go to Canton. Especially if you're a QB.

You're acting like he was a middle of the road QB for the last 4 years. He might currently be the best player in all of sports at his respected position and that will be the case for as long as he's healthy.

You're trying to tell me that 7 elite season from Rodgers is great enough to make him the GOAT over Peyton Manning (12-13 elite seasons) or Tom Brady (9). I don't see what you're reasoning is.

I doubt that he has better stats than Brady's 07' season, he might beat Peyton's but regardless. There should be no talks of Aaron Rodgers being the GOAT, especially when he doesn't even start his first four years.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

You're trying to tell me that 7 elite season from Rodgers is great enough to make him the GOAT over Peyton Manning (12-13 elite seasons) or Tom Brady (9). I don't see what you're reasoning is.

I doubt that he has better stats than Brady's 07' season, he might beat Peyton's but regardless. There should be no talks of Aaron Rodgers being the GOAT, especially when he doesn't even start his first four years.

My reasoning is, he's a better player than the both of them. Just because someone plays longer doesnt mean they are better. Rodgers sat for 4 years. Manning started from day 1. Brady his second season. Its not Rodgers fault he was drafted to sit behind a legend.

And Rodgers just turned 28 on the 2nd. He'll play at this level barring injury until he's 35/36, IMO. That will be 10 whole seasons for us to work with - 6/7 of them as the best QB in the league.

I think, he'll be in the GOAT conversation. He does things no QB I've ever seen can do. Thats why.

I dunno, I said 2 years ago rodgers is the best qb I've ever seen... He's as good in the pocket as Brady and manning and better then big Ben when breaking the pocket and throwing on move.. It's like watching madden football

My reasoning is, he's a better player than the both of them. Just because someone plays longer doesnt mean they are better. Rodgers sat for 4 years. Manning started from day 1. Brady his second season. Its not Rodgers fault he was drafted to sit behind a legend.

And Rodgers just turned 28 on the 2nd. He'll play at this level barring injury until he's 35/36, IMO. That will be 10 whole seasons for us to work with - 6/7 of them as the best QB in the league.

I think, he'll be in the GOAT conversation. He does things no QB I've ever seen can do. Thats why.

How is he better then both of them? They all have their own qualities that favor them. To say that a QB with a history of concussion problems is going to be playing at an elite level at 36 is utter nonsense. Besides Peyton, how many QBs have done that.

There's going to be no doubt in my opinion at the end of his career, Peyton Manning will be the GOAT. He started from day 1 with a talentless team and got continually killed because of his terrible O-Line and he stuck through it. Played 13 straight seasons without missing a game, 12 of them being at an elite level. Rodgers was given a sh*t load of talent, was taught by an all-time great QB and won't put in anything close to the amount of service Peyton has. I can't believe someone thinks Rodgers will be the greatest of all time. Much of his skill set and success has been his ability to move out of the pocket and avoid sacks, you think he'll be doing that at an elite level at 36? C'Mon Man!

Brady hasn't nine elite seasons, he's had four.

I'm a sad sad mufcka but the Jets MUST become good enough to take down Rodgers and his Packers. I can't stand the hype, and a sunshine and lollipops career is just too storybook for me.

I love SE's Brees to the HOF talk too....Guy's a great player. The Saints upsetting the Colts is underrated as a moment IMO.

I love Aaron Rodgers he is an absolute Stud but for him to be in the GOAT debate hes going to have to do it for at least 10 years and win 3 or 4 SB's Montana Brady Elway Unitas are my 4 for GOAT going to be a while before Rodgers is in the discussion but he is more than capable.

Archived