Tyson Chandler near deal with Knicks

dolphann4life

If he stays healthy thats a great addition to the Knicks.

This makes the Heat undersized when they face the Knicks!

i think its a good signing. Tyson will bring a much needed Defensive prescence to the Knicks. It looks liek Billups will hjave to be amnestied to get the deal done and he aint a happy camper.

ust spoke to Andy Miller, agent for Chauncey Billups, who describes his client as "irate" over possibility of Knicks using amnesty on him.

Agent Miller on Billups: "He has no intention of being open-minded about any possible situation where a team would claim him off waivers.."

More agent Andy Miller on Knicks exposing Billups to amnesty waiver wire: "....unless it's a team he chooses himself. Buyer beware."

i think its a good signing. Tyson will bring a much needed Defensive prescence to the Knicks. It looks liek Billups will hjave to be amnestied to get the deal done and he aint a happy camper.

ust spoke to Andy Miller, agent for Chauncey Billups, who describes his client as "irate" over possibility of Knicks using amnesty on him.

Agent Miller on Billups: "He has no intention of being open-minded about any possible situation where a team would claim him off waivers.."

More agent Andy Miller on Knicks exposing Billups to amnesty waiver wire: "....unless it's a team he chooses himself. Buyer beware."

It is. I know the Knicks were interested in him last year as well but Chandler chose to go the Mavericks.

I am always surprised when these athletes roll in millions of dough et al and then talk about feelings!

Billups' agent is basically saying that if any team other than the Heat pick him off waivers "buyer beware." There's also talks of Amare'e being traded for Paul etc. Lots and lots of speculation.

Paul also was stated as saying any team that signs Chandler is the frontrunner to land him, so it'll be interesting to see what's gonna be going down from here on out.

Word is if Billups is pissed he might get amnestied as a result of this, he wants Miami if he's gone, and if not, the team that picks him up better be a contender.

All in all it's a solid signing for this year. The Paul talks stalled and he's probably going to be a Laker. It's pretty clear that the Knicks have nothing to offer them outside of Melo, which is not happening. Makes me wonder what it means for anything dealing with Howard in the future.

Knicks have to be closing in on another PG if this is happening though. No way they're entrusting Toney with the gig for the season.

Well, Isiah got it half-right when he acquired Curry,,, dude has as many kids as Cromartie.

Why does Dallas want to do the sign and trade now when they didn't before? I assume the player is just Balkman or Rautins so is it just that they want the exemption now since the 2012 FA started flying off the market and there's not going to be anything to use the cap space they already had on?

Word is if Billups is pissed he might get amnestied as a result of this, he wants Miami if he's gone, and if not, the team that picks him up better be a contender.

All in all it's a solid signing for this year. The Paul talks stalled and he's probably going to be a Laker. It's pretty clear that the Knicks have nothing to offer them outside of Melo, which is not happening. Makes me wonder what it means for anything dealing with Howard in the future.

Knicks have to be closing in on another PG if this is happening though. No way they're entrusting Toney with the gig for the season.

I wonder if they will try to reacquire Felton for a draft pick down the road. He fit nicely in with the team and there would be no learning curve for him if he came to the Knicks. I wonder how much leeway DAntoni has with the team if they have a slow start. Phil Jackson wants to coach the Knicks and he has to be real tempting to them.

Why does Dallas want to do the sign and trade now when they didn't before? I assume the player is just Balkman or Rautins so is it just that they want the exemption now since the 2012 FA started flying off the market and there's not going to be anything to use the cap space they already had on?

Maybe they have come to the conclusion that they'll need to take back Turkoglu in a deal for Howard and need the huge TPE to pull it off.

I'm hoping that the Knicks angle in this, aside from opening a roster spot by dumping Balkman/Rautins, is to be able to structure a more cap-friendly deal with Chandler by having his Bird Rights and not to give him more money, as they still need to move Turiaf.

Jerome Jordan signing is good news as Chandler insurance...

Smart basketball move. Wouldve loved CP3, but that wasn't happening. It's a 4 yr deal for about $14 million. Not a max deal, but big enough to eliminate CP3 next year.

Chandler filled the Knicks biggest holes, D and C.

The time is to forget about CP3 and build a team around 2 of the top 5 scorers in the NBA. The Knicks can win a championship without an All-Star PG if they put the right complementary players around Melo & Stat. Chandler is one of such players.

I think people are vastly overrating Tyson Chandler in context of this Knicks roster.

Really? I think that contextually this is the best move we've made since the ledger cleared in 2009. Amare was a necessary evil. We let Carmelo force his way onto the team as bait for somebody better and in doing so made it impossible to actually get said somebody. So here we are. Is there a better plan than Chandler (obviously I'd have preferred Nene but you get the idea) and Nash?

Really? I think that contextually this is the best move we've made since the ledger cleared in 2009. Amare was a necessary evil. We let Carmelo force his way onto the team as bait for somebody better and in doing so made it impossible to actually get said somebody. So here we are. Is there a better plan than Chandler (obviously I'd have preferred Nene but you get the idea) and Nash?

Hadn't considered the addition of Nash, actually. My comment was more focused on people seemingly confusing Chandler with Dennis Rodman. He's a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster. The Knicks are slotting him as their third best player and I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden. Especially this year, when there will be less than zero in the backcourt.

Hadn't considered the addition of Nash, actually. My comment was more focused on people seemingly confusing Chandler with Dennis Rodman. He's a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster. The Knicks are slotting him as their third best player and I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden. Especially this year, when there will be less than zero in the backcourt.

Consider this one bookmarked.

I think Chandler is pretty decent and will fit in nicely. I do think there are some misconceptions about him when I hear people talking about him on the radio, such as hes a budding young talent (hes almost 30 and on his 4th team now) and I think some overestimate the defense thinking they are getting Marcus Camby back because hes lanky like Camby was, but hes a solid player. Hes going to get the Knicks alot of second chance point opportunities and he will also misdirect some shots when the guys up front just get blown by. Hes far superior to Gooden. Plus if things dont work out there will always be a trade market to get a piece for Chandler down the line.

I think some overestimate the defense thinking they are getting Marcus Camby back because hes lanky like Camby was, but hes a solid player.

He's better in the lane than Camby is. He's not as good a backside shotblocker but that's Amare's job anyway.

I think Chandler is pretty decent and will fit in nicely. I do think there are some misconceptions about him when I hear people talking about him on the radio, such as hes a budding young talent (hes almost 30 and on his 4th team now) and I think some overestimate the defense thinking they are getting Marcus Camby back because hes lanky like Camby was, but hes a solid player. Hes going to get the Knicks alot of second chance point opportunities and he will also misdirect some shots when the guys up front just get blown by. Hes far superior to Gooden. Plus if things dont work out there will always be a trade market to get a piece for Chandler down the line.

Not with that contract. 15 mil a year for a guy who avg's 8 pts. and 9rebs. and 1 blk a game for his career. He's a nice addition for the knicks but he's being vastly overpaid, but thats what happens in the Free agent market.

Edit: Actualy someone would probably take his expiring contract in 3 years.

Not with that contract. 15 mil a year for a guy who avg's 8 pts. and 9rebs. and 1 blk a game for his career. He's a nice addition for the knicks but he's being vastly overpaid, but thats what happens in the Free agent market.

Edit: Actualy someone would probably take his expiring contract in 3 years.

True on both ends BUT, the Chandler deal expires the same time as Melo's and Amare's. It seems to me that the Knicks are looking at a 4 yr run with all 3. Further, Grunwald has abandoned the Big 3 blueprint and is seeking to acquire complementary players around the Big 2. Well, at least that's the beat writers' spin.

Chandler was brought in as a complimentary player, not to fool fans as one of the "Big 3", So, yeah, the "budding young talent" angle is flat out wrong.

He fits this team perfectly because he'll play some D and he'll get a ton of rebounds and 2nd chance points from all the bricks Amar'e and Melo will be shooting.

True on both ends BUT, the Chandler deal expires the same time as Melo's and Amare's. It seems to me that the Knicks are looking at a 4 yr run with all 3. Further, Grunwald has abandoned the Big 3 blueprint and is seeking to acquire complementary players around the Big 2. Well, at least that's the beat writers' spin.

I think it's more like a two-year window with Chandler/Fields/Carmelo/Amare/Nash. Time is on LeBron's side and nobody else is really all that good. Figure year four of the max deals is spent blowing everything up.

And thats the right way to build a team. I can see the Knicks adding Felton next year and some nice role players.

I think it's more like a two-year window with Chandler/Fields/Carmelo/Amare/Nash. Time is on LeBron's side and nobody else is really all that good. Figure year four of the max deals is spent blowing everything up.

True. My point was that the Knicks don't have a true "long term" committed to all of them because like you note, the last yr of the deals would be about blowing everything up if things haven't worked out.

Plus, I prefer this method than what Isiah did in giving big contracts to 3rd-4th tier talent. That's what kills a team, not contracts for the likes of Melo or Amar'e.

Archived