Sparano Fired

hoping4ASuperBowl

per Rotoworld:

Dolphins fired head coach Tony Sparano.

The Miami Herald reported this would happen on Sunday. Sparano becomes the second NFL head coach to get the axe on the 12th of December, joining Todd Haley, formerly of the Chiefs. An ex-offensive line coach with the Cowboys, Sparano wound up going 29-31 over the greater part of four seasons in Miami. He finished second in the NFL Coach of the Year voting during his first year on the job (2008), but the Dolphins' records got progressively worse. Owner Stephen Ross is expected to keep GM Jeff Ireland for now, though that could change if Ross lures someone like Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden out of the broadcasting booth. Secondary coach Todd Bowles will finish this season as the Dolphins' interim head coach.

While I am not saying Sparano is not undeserving of being fired, it is laughable who $hittiely Ross runs the Phins.

Why would Cowher or Gruden want to leave the comforts of the TV set in order to deal with an inept owner? Not saying it would not happen, but I would think it would require 8 digits a year.

Or Norv Turner.

While I am not saying Sparano is not undeserving of being fired, it is laughable who $hittiely Ross runs the Phins.

Why would Cowher or Gruden want to leave the comforts of the TV set in order to deal with an inept owner? Not saying it would not happen, but I would think it would require 8 digits a year.

Or Norv Turner.

Because he'll give them a piece of the team and the next six generations of their families will be set for life.

Miami is a joke. Everyone knew he wasnt coming back to wait until another team does it so it will "look ok" is so bush league. What do they gain by firing the guy now instead of in January?

someone already said it, but i imagine this is panic to start openly recruiting coaches

We have Del Rio, Haley and Sparano fired in the last week or so. Did I miss another HC?

Who is next? Ralph Wilson is too much of a pussy to fire Gailey so the AFCE is all set. How about Caldwell in Indy? That guy is horrible.

Caldwell will be gone as will Turner in SD, probably Spags in STL and Morris in TB, Coughlin will be if the Giants miss, and possibly Wisenhunt in ARZ.

the dolphins job is a loser, any HC is going to have to start with a rookie QB, and that's if any of them are there when the dolphins pick. oh, and you are in a division with the pats* and jets, and nobody down there cares if you win or lose, and the chiefs play in a weak division and have 2 decent QB's on the roster

chiefs get dibs. it will be interesting to see if pioli tries to rob the pats* or just goes with RC

So your team starts out losing all it's games, it's the joke of the league, even the few fans it still has are making jokes about losing all their games so that they can have first crack at the best QB in the draft. Through all this, the coach is kept.

Then the team turns around, starts winning games impressively, and you wait for the day after a loss to finally fire the coach.

You usually fire the coach after the team spirals downhill, not after it begins to play respectably.

Miami is a joke. Everyone knew he wasnt coming back to wait until another team does it so it will "look ok" is so bush league. What do they gain by firing the guy now instead of in January?

Yep I agree that was a total bush league move. The Fins had their issues but they have been playing well the past 5 or so weeks. Did they actully think they had talent in Miami to do any better than 6-10 or 7-9 ? Plus they had to work in a new QB after Henne sh*t all over himself.

the dolphins job is a loser, any HC is going to have to start with a rookie QB, and that's if any of them are there when the dolphins pick. oh, and you are in a division with the pats* and jets, and nobody down there cares if you win or lose, and the chiefs play in a weak division and have 2 decent QB's on the roster

chiefs get dibs. it will be interesting to see if pioli tries to rob the pats* or just goes with RC

Head coaches want to come in and pick their own quarterback. I don't see how being financially tied to Matt Cassel makes that job more attractive at all. I'd take Matt Barkley or RG3 over Cassel and Orton any day.

Head coaches want to come in and pick their own quarterback. I don't see how being financially tied to Matt Cassel makes that job more attractive at all. I'd take Matt Barkley or RG3 over Cassel and Orton any day.

In a new coaches eyes, the comparison really isn't RG3 vs Cassel. It it Cassel and whatever you do with that 1st round pick vs RG3 or whatever QB you draft. Big difference especially in a win now league.

"Brian Billick, who won a Super Bowl with the Baltimore Ravens a decade ago, said Thursday he would potentially have interest in the Dolphins coaching job if approached. Billick is on the Dolphins' radar, according to several sources. But Billick said he has not yet been contacted. Meanwhile, the Dolphins' initial calls in their search to replace Tony Sparano were expected to be made to representatives for former Steelers coach Bill Cowher and former Titans coach Jeff Fisher, according to a person briefed on the situation."

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nfl/dolphins/rumors.html

Billick would make an interesting choice...

There's a lot to like with that Miami roster, man. Corners, pass rushers, a few nice OL, receivers. If they get the QB situation worked out, some coach can squeeze ten wins out of that squad. Sparano was Dead Man Walking once Parcells bailed on Ross.

Which is why its such a shame they lost the Suck for Luck race. I have no idea about college QB prospects. Robert Griffin III?

Which is why its such a shame they lost the Suck for Luck race. I have no idea about college QB prospects. Robert Griffin III?

I've only seen one game with RGIII and he "looked" awesome, but I've stopped guessing how good or bad a QB will be after trashing Cam Newton last year.

I'll be interested to see if the next coach gives Henne one more shot.

I've only seen one game with RGIII and he "looked" awesome, but I've stopped guessing how good or bad a QB will be after trashing Cam Newton last year.

I'll be interested to see if the next coach gives Henne one more shot.

Just stick to picking the guys that have no shot of being good but are drafted by stupid franchises, like Blaine Gabbert.

Archived