Jets next packers?

Joe Jets fan

Good read from the mother ship

http://insider.espn....ies-packers-nfl

When things are going well, there's a tendency to look back and shrug off how bad they really were before. It's the nostalgia goggles. You get a few decent paychecks, get a little comfortable and then look back to a night sitting around with an empty fridge, overdue rent and a temptation to dial while watching

with fondness, as if it was all a useful precursor to the current success.

Sports fans do this all the time. You win a title, remember when the team went 2-14 and recall how you really did see the seeds of success. Sure it stunk, but you had a hunch things would come together. You were optimistic.

Green Bay Packers fans know the feeling. And they don't have look back too far.

A year ago, the Packers finished Week 15 with a 31-27 loss in New England, which dropped their record to 8-6. How bad was it?

• That third loss in four games dropped Green Bay's playoff likelihood to 46.4 percent. For perspective, both the St. Louis Rams and Jacksonville Jaguars were better playoff bets. Jay Kornegay of the Vegas Hilton tells me the Super Bowl odds for Green Bay had dropped to worse than 30-1. (Perspective: Denver is currently at 20-1.)

Aaron Rodgers had just sustained his second concussion of 2010, and there was belief in some quarters that the Packers were putting him at risk if he played in Week 16.

• The team had 14 players on IR, including its top running back and tight end along with numerous other starters on both sides of the ball.

• The Packers couldn't finish! Five of the six losses involved blown second-half leads.

A full 361 days later, Green Bay hasn't lost a game since.

Could we see it again? Not likely, but that's partly because the Packers are in the way. Still, I decided to look at current teams that fit the 2010 Packers profile and rank who looks the closest based on projections (via AccuScore), overall statistical profile (via Football Outsiders) and the eyeball test.

Here are the results:

1. New York Jets

Current playoff odds: 46.1 percent

Profile: They look diametrically opposite from a scouting profile, but it's eerie how well the numbers line up. The Jets have a near identical playoff likelihood as Green Bay at this point last year (46.1 to 46.4) and are sixth in Weighted DVOA (an overall score of team efficiency across offense, defense, special teams and schedule strength) against the Packers' seventh spot last year, meaning they are similarly better than their record. From a scouting perspective, evaluators agree; in the same way nobody wanted to face the Packers' offense when hot, the Jets are a terrifying prospect for opposing offenses because of what they can do to elite quarterbacks. Ask Tom Brady and Peyton Manning after last year's playoffs. If the Jets can top Philly this weekend, they're in line for 10 wins.

2. Dallas Cowboys

Current playoff odds: 47.9 percent

Profile: The playoff odds are close, but the scouting comparison is more interesting. Both the 2010 Packers and 2011 Cowboys are defined by brilliant but occasionally erratic play from their quarterbacks -- both of whom have been dinged up -- and a series of late breakdowns. The offenses drive things, but the defenses are defined by a brilliant pass-rusher who lines up all over the formation in search of the best matchups and a secondary that may have talent but is exposed too often. Both teams also have a DVOA that is dragged down by spotty special teams play. Dallas may have a knack for the meltdown, but like the 2010 Packers, they're a scary "best day" team. The Cowboys are also the only team to win at San Fran in 2011. They can win a roadie.

3. Detroit Lions

Current playoff odds: 58.6 percent

Profile: This is just weird. The Lions are basically a coin flip for the playoffs, just like the 2010 Packers, but both had one advantage the computers can't sniff out: They play the team that is going to beat them in the NFC North in Week 17. For Green Bay last season, it was the Chicago Bears, who didn't have much to play for with the division clinched. The Bears lost to Green Bay 10-3, letting the Packers into the playoffs but knowing they'd get to host the Packers if they met again. This season, the Packers could be playing for a perfect record, but do they want to put Rodgers in the way of Ndamukong Suh, Cliff Avril and Kyle Vanden Bosch in Week 17?

4. Oakland Raiders

Current playoff odds: 34.1 percent

Profile: The playoff odds match up, but the situations are really only tied based on a close race for the division win. The question with the Raiders is whether they can get some key weapons back while there's something to play for. Green Bay faced that question -- even with Rodgers -- at this time last season.

5. New York Giants

Current playoff odds: 63.9 percent

Profile: A year ago in Week 16, the 9-5 Giants went to 8-6 Green Bay and, with a win, would all but clinch a playoff spot. If the Packers lost, they'd be out. Green Bay steamrolled New York 45-17. Rodgers shot down concussion questions with 404 yards and four touchdown passes and started the Packers on a winning streak that hasn't stopped. The Giants didn't make the playoffs. But as the Giants showed on Sunday -- and as the Book of Eli has foretold -- they're dangerous. Given the brutal slate the Giants have faced this season, not to mention the overhaul of the offensive line, there's some sense they could be a team who could be far better in 2012.

Contenders

• The Denver Broncos would be in this picture at 8-5, but their playoff percentage is actually significantly higher at this point than the Packers had last season.

• The Atlanta Falcons also profile similarly, but they currently sit on an 87.9 percent likelihood to make the playoffs.

If Green Bay can rest on anything, it's that its current playoff projection is a cool 100 percent. But as was shown last season, it doesn't guarantee a trip to the Super Bowl. New England in Week 15 of 2010 also had a 100 percent playoff certainty. They were knocked out of the playoffs by the No. 1 team on the list above.

Chris Sprow is a senior editor for ESPN The Magazine and Insider. He reports and edits on many sports and works year-round with Mel Kiper on NFL draft coverage. He also oversees ESPN's Rumor Central and has been a regular guest on ESPN networks in that role. You can find his ESPN archives here and find him on Twitter here.

Edited by Joe Jets fan

yeah but Aaron Rodgers didn't look like he did last year in the regular season like he looks now. Remember he had three or four games where he just looked ordinary/awful.

A super bowl cures your confidence issues

actually i have been following Rodgers since he has been starting (he was my qb in fantasy football). He was great every year, sure some bad games but great nonetheless

Aaron Rodgers didn't look like he did last year in the regular season like he looks now. Remember he had three or four games where he just looked ordinary/awful.

No, as a matter of fact, I don't recall any such thing occurring. He didn't look good throwing the ball in gale-force winds in the Meadowlands and was knocked out of the game against Detroit with a concussion.

Granted, he's playing on another level right now, but in what games did he look anything close to awful?

Perhaps you're not aware that Nick Bellore is soon to emerge as Clay Matthews, cuz that's what Rex Ryan does.

But who's going to be our Greg Jennings? Jordy Nelson? Cullin Jenkins? BJ Raji? Tell me!!!!

Or just blame Schotty?

Edited by JiF

You just relax. Jets front office>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Packers front office

Good point. While we are on that topic. I was watching some network the other day and they showed a stat that the Packers roster consisted of more home grown talent (draft picks/UDFA's) than any other team in the league. Something like 48 of the 53 man roster. Thats prettying F'ing impressive.

Good point. While we are on that topic. I was watching some network the other day and they showed a stat that the Packers roster consisted of more home grown talent (draft picks/UDFA's) than any other team in the league. Something like 48 of the 53 man roster. Thats prettying F'ing impressive.

That's stupid. Everybody knows that the way to build a great team is to pay top dollar for free agents and to trade multiple draft picks year after year.

• Upvote 2

That's stupid. Everybody knows that the way to build a great team is to pay top dollar for free agents and to trade multiple draft picks year after year.

Did you also know that McCarthy was given a HC'ing job after leading the 49er's to the worst offense in the league in 2005? I found that out as well. How many Coordinators have the worst unit in the league but move on to become a HC?

Go Pack. I'm totally a fan now. They are like my NFC team.

Did you also know that McCarthy was given a HC'ing job after leading the 49er's to the worst offense in the league in 2005? I found that out as well. How many Coordinators have the worst unit in the league but move on to become a HC?

That actually is pretty interesting.

McCarthy altered his gameplans and designs to improve hisplay-calling when he moved to Green Bay. Through that he built Rodgers into what he is. See he realized he had designed his routes so that no one got open. He formed his gameplan around the idea that points are overrated. Now he's all about the opposite, and once that happens he became a real game changer as an offensive minded coach. It's like Sean Payton and how he fixed the Saints.

Oh and ffffuuuuuu to the Packers. Stupid dumb town.

Edited by SenorGato

No, as a matter of fact, I don't recall any such thing occurring. He didn't look good throwing the ball in gale-force winds in the Meadowlands and was knocked out of the game against Detroit with a concussion.

Granted, he's playing on another level right now, but in what games did he look anything close to awful?

the games you mentioned. Ok i exaggerated awful. Ordinary would be a better characterization

Brian Schott would be Mike McCarthy if Sanchez was Rodgers..

I seriously can't believe people don't get it yet.. McDaniels is a disaster now, but when he had Brady he was a genius.. most of these guy are all doing the same stuff and are completely dependent on talent

Brian Schott would be Mike McCarthy if Sanchez was Rodgers..

I seriously can't believe people don't get it yet.. McDaniels is a disaster now, but when he had Brady he was a genius.. most of these guy are all doing the same stuff and are completely dependent on talent

EVERYONE IS UNIQUE!

No really it's not all talent...we've seen makeshift offenses do alright...'06 Jets...'08 Dolphins...this year's Bills to an extent...a couple of the TItans' offenses under Fisher maybe...of course, when you're trying to outsmart/outcoach teams you need players who can execute within the range of being called competent...

Edited by SenorGato