Hughes was out of shape last season

Barton

So now he's going to train hard like he did 2 offseasons ago....what a worthless bum.

There is rarely a good excuse for an athlete to be out of shape.

He made himself a liability last season due to his poor conditioning. What a piece of garbage.

NY POST:

It's no secret the Yankees were disappointed in the shape Hughes arrived at spring training last year.

Joba Chamberlain reporting to camp with an extra 30 pounds or so gave Hughes cover, but like Chamberlain, Hughes was put on a workout program.

Though it's impossible to prove, some believe Hughes, who was listed at 6-foot-5, 240 pounds, attempted to create velocity late in camp and that resulted in an inflamed right shoulder that put him on the disabled list from the middle of April until the first week of July.

With the Yankees unable to land a starting pitcher so far this offseason, they are counting on Hughes to bounce back from last year's 5-5 disaster that included a 5.79 ERA in 17 games (14 starts).

-----

It wasn't that Hughes was grossly overweight -- the Yankees like him at 235 pounds -- last February, but many believe the lack of velocity (fastball topping out at 89-90 in April) was because of a decrease in overall body strength. This time, Hughes isn't going to give the reason-seekers anything to look for.

"I am not going to leave anything out there," said Hughes, who works at the API facility four times a week, concentrating on flexibility, weight training and cardio activity. He also has been throwing off flat ground for six weeks.

"There will be no excuses or speculation," he said. "I am going to do everything I can. I wanted to make sure I worked hard in the winter and have a good spring.''

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/hughes_toasts_to_health_in_36SeOZOY1bYgnGrPBUCe9N#ixzz1hNVaysJq

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/yankeesblog/hughes_working_out_in_california_ZucIBsdCI0Qil3ywh0CHKP#ixzz1hNVJYfsC

So now he's going to train hard like he did 2 offseasons ago....what a worthless bum.

There is rarely a good excuse for an athlete to be out of shape.

He made himself a liability last season due to his poor conditioning. What a piece of garbage.

NY POST:

It's no secret the Yankees were disappointed in the shape Hughes arrived at spring training last year.

Joba Chamberlain reporting to camp with an extra 30 pounds or so gave Hughes cover, but like Chamberlain, Hughes was put on a workout program.

Though it's impossible to prove, some believe Hughes, who was listed at 6-foot-5, 240 pounds, attempted to create velocity late in camp and that resulted in an inflamed right shoulder that put him on the disabled list from the middle of April until the first week of July.

With the Yankees unable to land a starting pitcher so far this offseason, they are counting on Hughes to bounce back from last year's 5-5 disaster that included a 5.79 ERA in 17 games (14 starts).

-----

It wasn't that Hughes was grossly overweight -- the Yankees like him at 235 pounds -- last February, but many believe the lack of velocity (fastball topping out at 89-90 in April) was because of a decrease in overall body strength. This time, Hughes isn't going to give the reason-seekers anything to look for.

"I am not going to leave anything out there," said Hughes, who works at the API facility four times a week, concentrating on flexibility, weight training and cardio activity. He also has been throwing off flat ground for six weeks.

"There will be no excuses or speculation," he said. "I am going to do everything I can. I wanted to make sure I worked hard in the winter and have a good spring.''

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...N#ixzz1hNVaysJq

http://www.nypost.co...P#ixzz1hNVJYfsC

Being out of shape has never hurt Josh Beckett.

josh-beckett-is-fat.jpg

Archived