Santonio Holmes: MERGED

FloridaJetsFan

Sad but true. Sooner or later you had to know this decision that filling the team full of everyone else's rejects was going to catch up with the Jets. While some of these guys have gotten their crap together, thinking you can get away with filling your entire team with more and more of them without any repercussions is ridiculous.

I give Rex credit for stemming the tide as long as he has. You lose Thomas Jones, Shaun Ellis, Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith and Alan Faneca and you replace them with Holmes, Cromartie, Braylon, and Plaxico, you might be upgrading the overall talent of the team, but you're also leaving yourself really, really short when it comes to character. Now, don't get me wrong, I think the whole character thing can be overplayed (coughMangini), but there's no question that the core of your team better have enough good soldiers to offset the portion of your locker room that are straight-up nuts.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, Still think he was the right WR to resign. The guy was targeted once during a game where the offense was horrific. I get his frustration. Why be on the field if you're not going to get your best play maker the ball when the offense is struggling?

Like I said, I dont condone his behavior but get the frustration. He's a baller stuck in an inept offense.

I'm sorry, but he's played like crap on a number of occasions this year. This was just the worst of a bad season. Sure his QB sucks, but there's a number of things completely independent of Sanchez's suckage that Holmes has sucked at this year all by himself. Single most overrated player on the Jets, by a pretty wide margin, and proving to everyone why the Steelers were willing to get rid of him for a measly 5th rounder. Don't get me wrong, I wanted him back too (as well as Braylon), but after this season out of him, it sure is seeming like the wrong decision.

deemason85 Derrick Mason

But I do hope Rex gets that them back to where they were last year bc he's one of my favorite coaches!I bet I catch flack for that as well.

Being in a popularity contest is fine when you're winning. but when you collapse like the Jets did this season I dont think it will matter how much they like him. I would rather Rex get in there face and become a disciplinarian with the way they've been playing.

It's like being a boss. you cant be buddy buddy with all your subordinates. because sometimes you have to lay down the hammer.

I give Rex credit for stemming the tide as long as he has. You lose Thomas Jones, Shaun Ellis, Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith and Alan Faneca and you replace them with Holmes, Cromartie, Braylon, and Plaxico, you might be upgrading the overall talent of the team, but you're also leaving yourself really, really short when it comes to character. Now, don't get me wrong, I think the whole character thing can be overplayed (coughMangini), but there's no question that the core of your team better have enough good soldiers to offset the portion of your locker room that are straight-up nuts.

Agreed. It's all about a balance, and the Jets under Mangini and Rex could not have been more completely opposite extremes. One was all about character while ignoring talent, and the other seems to be quite the opposite. The problem is, you're not going to do anything without talent, but it also takes a mix of both for that talent to be maximized and the team to ultimately succeed.

The problem first and foremost is Rex. Rex is an enabler. As CTM said in the other thread--the HC is a thug and so is his captain.

In hindsight, if we knew that Kerley would have been this good, the better WR combo would have been Braylon, Plax, and Kerley. Tannenbaum re-signed the wrong guy.

Holmes has 2 problems:

1. He is a punk diva who is consumed by how other team members affect him rather than the other way around.

2. He has never played for a team who has bet all its marbles on a QB/OC combo this bad.

I can't imagine there's many players on the Jets who #2 doesn't apply to. Well you know, other than the ones who were here for Clemens' days starting, but at least they already knew the season was over by then.

Agreed. It's all about a balance, and the Jets under Mangini and Rex could not have been more completely opposite extremes. One was all about character while ignoring talent, and the other seems to be quite the opposite. The problem is, you're not going to do anything without talent, but it also takes a mix of both for that talent to be maximized and the team to ultimately succeed.

You and I are going to be best friends one day.

I'm sorry, but he's played like crap on a number of occasions this year. This was just the worst of a bad season. Sure his QB sucks, but there's a number of things completely independent of Sanchez's suckage that Holmes has sucked at this year all by himself. Single most overrated player on the Jets, by a pretty wide margin, and proving to everyone why the Steelers were willing to get rid of him for a measly 5th rounder. Don't get me wrong, I wanted him back too (as well as Braylon), but after this season out of him, it sure is seeming like the wrong decision.

Disagree. He's one of the best players on the team and by far the best offensive player on the team. Eagles game was a debacle, other than that, the guy is a stud. Wins games for us. Only play maker on an offense that doesnt get him the ball.

Well well, Captain Santonio quits on the team. Now there's a surprise. Was driving home from Phoenix to SoCal today, and listened to the game on the radio. Wischusen and Lyons mentioned the lazyness getting back to the huddle and his body language during the 4th quarter. Glad he got benched. Glad at least one teammate called him out. I hope Sanchez did too. Unfortunately, these dopes gave this chump all that money so they cannot cut him, which is what they should do. Clowns like him and the over the top loudmouth coach make it tough to be a Jets fan. No doubt Rex is a great defensive coach. He needs to become a complete coach.

The problem first and foremost is Rex. Rex is an enabler. As CTM said in the other thread--the HC is a thug and so is his captain.

In hindsight, if we knew that Kerley would have been this good, the better WR combo would have been Braylon, Plax, and Kerley. Tannenbaum re-signed the wrong guy.

I agree with this all around. There is absolutely no one on the Jets campus right now wielding the hammer. Rex wants to negotiate with all of his players, placate them, and hope they fall in line out of loyalty. That's never going to work for too long.

Santonio Holmes was very quiet stat wise during the game today but seems to have made plenty of noise otherwise.  Holmes did not catch a pass and didn’t seem to be targeted much.  Late in the game he was seen arguing in the huddle with teammates and was on the sidelines during the Jets final drive.

According to Jenny Vrentas:

Late in the fourth quarter, receiver Patrick Turner ran onto the field, tapped Holmes on the shoulder and told him to come out. The decision was made by offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, a person with knowledge of the decision-making process said, because he had no choice.

“I looked out there, and I was wondering why he wasn’t out there myself,” coach Rex Ryan said. “I didn’t bench Santonio. You’ll have to ask him.”

Holmes, who signed a five-year, $45 million deal in free agency, offered no answers, calling it the “coach’s call.” But it was Holmes’ demeanor through through the course of the game as well as an argument with teammates in the huddle spurred the benching, several players said.

Manish Mehta also add this on Twitter:

TheJetsStream
Manish Mehta

Matt Slauson on Jets’ jarring in huddle: “It started off between Holmes & another guy. Then everybody came at each other. It was bad.”
#
nyj

TheJetsStream
Manish Mehta

LT on Holmes: “There were some guys in huddle unhappy w/Tone’s demeanor. t’s tough for guys to follow a captain who behaves in that manner”

Santonio Holmes simply will not get the benefit of the doubt here because of his track record.  The Pittsburgh Steelers could not wait to get rid of him and when you are the Captain of a team there are better ways to handle your grievances.  The fight in the huddle and pouting on the sidelines are the last thing this team needed as the clock was ticking down on the season.

I have to agree with this is going to get bad.  Definitely seems like this situation will get worse before it gets better.  When Matt Slauson ends the day with more receptions that you have, you are not going to receive a lot of sympathy.

di</img>

di</img>coFVCS9gteI

View the full article

I can't imagine there's many players on the Jets who #2 doesn't apply to. Well you know, other than the ones who were here for Clemens' days starting, but at least they already knew the season was over by then.

Yeah, but they don't all get so self-absorbed the way Holmes has. He's a friggin' baby.

It's a shame because he is phenomenally talented. More than enough to be the difference-maker type player the team allegedly doesn't have on the roster.

SO sexy Rexy is at the podium saying he didnt bench Santonio and he didnt know wtf was going on. Apparently Santonio took himself out. My thing is, is Rex not the headcoach? How the **** you mean you dont know what is going on with the players? **** you mean you let him 'take himself out'...

Good post. Rex is a joke right now. Team is an embarrassment. I can only hope Rex's clueless act is for our ownwer that insists on schotty being here... I'm trying to look at it as though there are things going on we don't know about. Whole franchise looks awful, reminds me of 2008, but at least then we were just losing.... Now we are losing while looking like an organization full of turds.

Good post. Rex is a joke right now. Team is an embarrassment. I can only hope Rex's clueless act is for our ownwer that insists on schotty being here... I'm trying to look at it as though there are things going on we don't know about. Whole franchise looks awful, reminds me of 2008, but at least then we were just losing.... Now we are losing while looking like an organization full of turds.

Actually, we're not losing. In fact, we haven't had a losing season since 2007.

Actually, we're not losing. In fact, we haven't had a losing season since 2007.

My bad. I forgot, when all the coach does is acid reflux retarded comments about the Superbowl, that I'm supposed to be content with not making the playoffs in was has been another December collapse.... I must not be a true fan.

To your point, Mangini's last season was technically a winning season too...I guess we should have thrown him a parade.

My bad. I forgot, when all the coach does is acid reflux retarded comments about the Superbowl, that I'm supposed to be content with not making the playoffs in was has been another December collapse.... I must not be a true fan.

To your point, Mangini's last season was technically a winning season too...I guess we should have thrown him a parade.

Why does anything Rex Ryan say I'm a press conference matter? How doesn't change things? Seriously, who cares.

Funny, I didn't hear you complain at the end of the last two years....

Why does anything Rex Ryan say I'm a press conference matter? How doesn't change things? Seriously, who cares.

Obviously, there is a contingency of fans, including myself, that wants to root for a disciplined, hard-working team with integrity... Rex brings the opposite. If he is different than the image he has built for himself, now is the time for him to show it... This mess of a team is a direct reflection of soundbytes Rex.

This scenario is for all the Schotty haters: (Im included)

Would you forgive Santonio, if his motive all season was to do whatever it took to get Schotty fired, being lazy, quitting, and all the other garbage he pulled, and it seems to have paid off I can't see how the Jets can retain Schotty without looking like the most clueless franchise in the league.

Not saying this is true, and we would never find out if this was the case if it was.

But if this was Holmes' motive, not even all season but just today, my question to you is do you forgive Santonio, even carry him on your shoulders as your savior if his devious plan becomes succesful? I can't see how it won't be. And move on with the new O-Coordinator and see what Mark, and Tone can actually accomplish in a competent system.

Because he's a sociopath with no sense of personal accountability.

Just got back form the game. Sat in sec 114 row 4. Right behind the Jets bench. I wish I could tell you what was being said, I can’t. But it’s not hard to see someone yelling F U.

I’ve only read this thread as far as this post so I hope I’m not going to be reposting something that has already been posted.

I really understand now why Holmes was kicked out of Pittsburgh. Guy is a major A H.

His behavior at the end of the game started in the 2nd ¼. It was on a play Sanchez was hurried on, and threw a ball behind Holmes. Think it was the only time in the game he was thrown to.

He came to the side line and just started acting like a baby. Yelling crap (couldn’t hear what) stomping, and just acted like an a$$.

Plax came over and said something to him, and Holmes screamed at him

FU. Plax walked away.

I started watching him in the Binocs. Thought this is going to get interesting. It did. He just flat quit. He didn’t even make an attempt to run his routes. At one time a member of the coaching staff came over to him, and he just turned his back and walked away.

Kerley started to get his snaps. (and played really well) Holmes just sat alone yelling stuff at people on the Jets. Then just sat silent, and acted like he wasn’t interested.

The last play he was in, he was in the huddle and started yelling at some one. Slauson screemed at him what appeared to be “STFU”

Holmes just turned and left the huddle. Sat down and that was that.

This guy is a total douche.

For once Tom I agree with you

Would you forgive Santonio, if his motive all season was to do whatever it took to get Schotty fired, being lazy, quitting, and all the other garbage he pulled, and it seems to have paid off I can't see how the Jets can retain Schotty without looking like the most clueless franchise in the league.

Not saying this is true, and we would never find out if this was the case if it was.

But if this was Holmes' motive, not even all season but just today, my question to you is do you forgive Santonio, even carry him on your shoulders as your savior if his devious plan becomes succesful? I can't see how it won't be. And move on with the new O-Coordinator and see what Mark, and Tone can actually accomplish in a competent system.

If that was really his motive all along, Holmes would then be my new favorite player... but I'd still want his a$$ off the Jets.

Just got back form the game. Sat in sec 114 row 4. Right behind the Jets bench. I wish I could tell you what was being said, I can’t. But it’s not hard to see someone yelling F U.

I’ve only read this thread as far as this post so I hope I’m not going to be reposting something that has already been posted.

I really understand now why Holmes was kicked out of Pittsburgh. Guy is a major A H.

His behavior at the end of the game started in the 2nd ¼. It was on a play Sanchez was hurried on, and threw a ball behind Holmes. Think it was the only time in the game he was thrown to.

He came to the side line and just started acting like a baby. Yelling crap (couldn’t hear what) stomping, and just acted like an a$$.

Plax came over and said something to him, and Holmes screamed at him

FU. Plax walked away.

I started watching him in the Binocs. Thought this is going to get interesting. It did. He just flat quit. He didn’t even make an attempt to run his routes. At one time a member of the coaching staff came over to him, and he just turned his back and walked away.

Kerley started to get his snaps. (and played really well) Holmes just sat alone yelling stuff at people on the Jets. Then just sat silent, and acted like he wasn’t interested.

The last play he was in, he was in the huddle and started yelling at some one. Slauson screemed at him what appeared to be “STFU”

Holmes just turned and left the huddle. Sat down and that was that.

This guy is a total douche.

For once Tom I agree with you

Thanks for the info man. It really is unbelievable and when you've got as many players clearly having issues with Holmes, it's tough to say the problem is anything but him. When you've got a guy like LT making the comments he did post-game, and him getting into the kind of screaming arguments on the sideline you were seeing, it speaks volumes. Honestly, if his own teammates are having this much of an issue with him, it's going to be tough for the Jets to keep him around and not end up looking really bad in the process.

Doubtful scenario. Hypothetical answer? Subversive behavior like this is more deplorable than Scotty not being very good at his job.

Thanks for the info man. It really is unbelievable and when you've got as many players clearly having issues with Holmes, it's tough to say the problem is anything but him. When you've got a guy like LT making the comments he did post-game, and him getting into the kind of screaming arguments on the sideline you were seeing, it speaks volumes. Honestly, if his own teammates are having this much of an issue with him, it's going to be tough for the Jets to keep him around and not end up looking really bad in the process.

But he is a team captain that the Jets invested 45 Million in. Players are supposed to follow his example. Rex put him in that position because he wanted the other players to look up to him and be like him.

Archived