Rex Ryan's and Mike Tannenbaum Press Conference - Monday 1/2/12 at 3pm

Maxman

He will have had almost a full day to mull over the loss. What do you think he will say? Will he admit that changes are needed and are coming? Or will he just say that it is his fault and he has to do better?

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He will have had almost a full day to mull over the loss. What do you think he will say? Will he admit that changes are needed and are coming? Or will he just say that it is his fault and he has to do better?

The latter. Rex takes it on himself. I doubt they decided this quickly.

I think the front office definitely have plans that they're, understandably, not going to discuss publicly right away. Obviously, the Santonio Holmes situation needs to be addressed right away. I think Schottenheimer is going to be cut loose, probably sooner than later (maybe even tomorrow). I think unless they can get something substantial for Holmes, he'll probably stay. Also, the Jets need some veteran leadership, which they had last season (Faneca, Damien Woody, Jason Taylor, Chris Jenkins, Tony Richardson, etc. Last season, the stuff with Holmes wouldn't have happened).

Speaking of Holmes, the Jets need a deep receiving threat. I felt like none of the Jets opponents this year were ever particularly worried about their passing game. The Jets also need a new OC who can put together a dynamic offense that can adjust to whatever circumstances they are facing (remember how the Patriots last season changed their entire offensive philosophy in midseason after Rany Moss was traded?)

Also, Matt Slauson and Wayne Hunter, well, I know they bring everything they have to every game, but the fact is that they're simply not starting-caliber OLs. Ducasse, at times, played well this season but was hot and cold, so the jury's still out on him in my opinion, and Brandon Moore is old (by football standards, anyway).

There are concerns that DeVito and Pouha's contracts are up. That's fine. I would say maybe keep Pouha, but they definitely need

another run stuffer in there. I don't think they ever got over Jenkins getting injured last season.

I think the front office definitely have plans that they're, understandably, not going to discuss publicly right away. Obviously, the Santonio Holmes situation needs to be addressed right away. I think Schottenheimer is going to be cut loose, probably sooner than later (maybe even tomorrow). I think unless they can get something substantial for Holmes, he'll probably stay. Also, the Jets need some veteran leadership, which they had last season (Faneca, Damien Woody, Jason Taylor, Chris Jenkins, Tony Richardson, etc. Last season, the stuff with Holmes wouldn't have happened).

Speaking of Holmes, the Jets need a deep receiving threat. I felt like none of the Jets opponents this year were ever particularly worried about their passing game. The Jets also need a new OC who can put together a dynamic offense that can adjust to whatever circumstances they are facing (remember how the Patriots last season changed their entire offensive philosophy in midseason after Rany Moss was traded?)

Also, Matt Slauson and Wayne Hunter, well, I know they bring everything they have to every game, but the fact is that they're simply not starting-caliber OLs. Ducasse, at times, played well this season but was hot and cold, so the jury's still out on him in my opinion, and Brandon Moore is old (by football standards, anyway).

There are concerns that DeVito and Pouha's contracts are up. That's fine. I would say maybe keep Pouha, but they definitely need

another run stuffer in there. I don't think they ever got over Jenkins getting injured last season.

Dude faneca has been gone for two years where have you been and I don't think it's lack of a deep threat with Holmes we just never tried to throw it deep I mean for the amount of times we threw the ball this year we barely even took a chance going deep and that falls on schotty but I agree with you that schotty needs to go. But as far ducasse goes he's a bust. I don't know who you were watching but vladimir got abused this season and looked like he didn't know what to do he got flagged often and he almost got Sanchez killed numerous times. Too big and slow. Hunter must go but I think you can live with slauson he's not that bad

My guess is Rex just talks about how awesome his team is and how he believes in all they do. Everyone in the locker room is disappointed and none more than him. Its his failure not the players. They will get better. He promises. If he could do it all over again he would not change a thing except the final scores. Mark is great. Tone is great. Hunter is awesome. Smith is the smartest player in the league. He will then guarantee we win the Super Bowl next year.

So now he is Maxman. You change your name more, than Kardashian does bed mates

I bet it's gonna be a very Mangini-esque press conference. Rex will be very quiet, try and throw in a few laughs, take the blame and say we need to play better. Unfortunately he won't throw anyone under the bus, even if they deserve it, and will keep it very vanilla while everything happens behind closed doors.

the beat writers seem to think it means that changes will be announced because of Tannenbaum's presence there-i think they are right-I think there is big news about to happen-you can kind of feel it in the air-the Jets, WOODY JOHNSON'S New York Jets are the laughingstock of the league since last night and with the Giants making the playoffs-wow watch out-heads are about to roll

My guess is Rex just talks about how awesome his team is and how he believes in all they do. Everyone in the locker room is disappointed and none more than him. Its his failure not the players. They will get better. He promises. If he could do it all over again he would not change a thing except the final scores. Mark is great. Tone is great. Hunter is awesome. Smith is the smartest player in the league. He will then guarantee we win the Super Bowl next year.

This.

"Tone's a competitor. He just wants to win. Heat of the moment. Blahblah."

the beat writers seem to think it means that changes will be announced because of Tannenbaum's presence there-i think they are right-I think there is big news about to happen-you can kind of feel it in the air-the Jets, WOODY JOHNSON'S New York Jets are the laughingstock of the league since last night and with the Giants making the playoffs-wow watch out-heads are about to roll

Please let it be that they are letting Schitty go. Maybe they can make up a story and say he's getting a head coaching job in the CFL and UFL.

Uh uh Jason and Tommy-today is a Woody Johnson day-today heads WILL roll. I can see the whole offensive coaching staff getting jettisoned-including Bill Callahan. Schott, Cavanagh, Ellard are all goners. Remember what just happened; the Jets as of yesterday became the laughingstock of professional football. The Giants kill the Cowboys and make the playoffs and the players who Rex Ryan himself picked as the captains cost the Jets at least a shot at making the playoffs. Then to top it all off there is Rex Ryan again, talking about the Jets and a super bowl-you should hear Miami sports talk radio this morning-the Jets along with their blowhard coach WHO, HIMSELF DID THIS are being laughed at by a 6-10 team along with the rest of the league and ALL of the sports media. woody Johnson is not a happy man right now

Sadly I don't think you can be any more on point then this. This is exactly how it will go

Uh uh Jason and Tommy-today is a Woody Johnson day-today heads WILL roll. I can see the whole offensive coaching staff getting jettisoned-including Bill Callahan. Schott, Cavanagh, Ellard are all goners. Remember what just happened; the Jets as of yesterday became the laughingstock of professional football. The Giants kill the Cowboys and make the playoffs and the players who Rex Ryan himself picked as the captains cost the Jets at least a shot at making the playoffs. Then to top it all off there is Rex Ryan again, talking about the Jets and a super bowl-you should hear Miami sports talk radio this morning-the Jets along with their blowhard coach WHO, HIMSELF DID THIS are being laughed at by a 6-10 team along with the rest of the league and ALL of the sports media. woody Johnson is not a happy man right now

We'll see, Jimmy. If Woody forces anything it'll be because he's still pissed that there were more Giants fans than Jets fans in the stadium on Christmas Eve. Either way, as long as something motivates that rich-boy, silver-spoons nitwit to action.

Sadly I don't think you can be any more on point then this. This is exactly how it will go

nope, not today bro-if it were just a Rex PC then maybe but today Tannenbaum will be speaking with Woody Johnson's voice and HIS team, and HIS coaching staff have become the laughingstock of the league. The Giants, who Woody shares a stadium with embarrassed HIS team and are going to the playoffs weith a damn good chance of winning another Super Bowl-today is Black Monday in Jets land my friends-there WILL be no a$$-kissing

Big News a-coming?

RichCiminiRich Cimini

#Jets change media itinerary: GM Mike Tannenbaum now will join Rex Ryan in presser -- indication that staff changes could be announced.

Jimmy they sent out an update that Tanny would be part of it. I thought that was weird as well, never saw them do that before.

Jimmy they sent out an update that Tanny would be part of it. I thought that was weird as well, never saw them do that before.

Yup usually they have a State Of The Jets PC after the Super Bowl with the HC and GM and even Woody sometimes

Yup usually they have a State Of The Jets PC after the Super Bowl with the HC and GM and even Woody sometimes

Well something changed between 5pm last night and 9am this morning. That is when they sent out the announcement about Tanny...

Good news? The news we have all been hoping for?

Well something changed between 5pm last night and 9am this morning. That is when they sent out the announcement about Tanny...

Good news? The news we have all been hoping for?

I think it's just a typical Tannenbaum ego-move. "Hey! I'm in charge here! Really! Look, my name is on the press release and everything!"

I think it's just a typical Tannenbaum ego-move. "Hey! I'm in charge here! Really! Look, my name is on the press release and everything!"

Man I hope not. It would be nice to get some good news tonight. Hopefully the Giants having the 1st playoff game at MetLife fired Woody up. :)

Twitter reports are really strange this morning Revis said he has no comments and Bart Scott flipped a photog the bird and said "get that outta my effing face" Even Nick Folk slipped out the back and refuse to talk-Eric Smith too...so far Kyle Wilson has been the only one who spoke

Twitter reports are really strange this morning Revis said he has no comments and Bart Scott flipped a photog the bird and said "get that outta my effing face" Even Nick Folk slipped out the back and refuse to talk-Eric Smith too...so far Kyle Wilson has been the only one who spoke

Room full o'leaders.

Man I hope not. It would be nice to get some good news tonight. Hopefully the Giants having the 1st playoff game at MetLife fired Woody up. :)

He had an extra $8.7 million in cap space all season. If his GM had a ball or 2 and some brains he could've procured a servicable safety or 2, and some LB and OL help. And may be a capable backup like McCown or Orton. Instead they wanted to be nice and pay Brunnell's bankruptcy fees for investing in fur sinks and electric dog polishing franchises.

About more Jints than Jets fans on Christmas EVE; a real owner demands that a big game like that not be scheduled for a major holiday. Covering up the Jints logos; bush sissy crap. Better idea-win a Super Bowl or 2 of your own.

Methinks you guess correctly. The usual canned response that we've come to expect from Rex. I am flipping a coin to decide whether he is truly delusional or just a simpleton.

Dude faneca has been gone for two years where have you been and I don't think it's lack of a deep threat with Holmes we just never tried to throw it deep I mean for the amount of times we threw the ball this year we barely even took a chance going deep and that falls on schotty but I agree with you that schotty needs to go. But as far ducasse goes he's a bust. I don't know who you were watching but vladimir got abused this season and looked like he didn't know what to do he got flagged often and he almost got Sanchez killed numerous times. Too big and slow. Hunter must go but I think you can live with slauson he's not that bad

Jeremy Kerley's pass to Matthew Mulligan for 41 yards was the second longest pass on the season.

Archived