Jets veteran says Santonio Holmes must go in 2012

Jetfan13

i guess all players don't just love playing for rex?

imo, this is up to rex to fix, he's supposed to be a players coach, how did he let this fester???

By being more concerned about Sanchez's feelings than about sending a horrible message to everybody else by steadfastly refusing to acknowledge the fact that the quarterback just plain can't play?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cotchery said he couldn't stand sitting in the same WR meetings specifically with Holmes or specifically with WRs who the team felt were better, more talented, and more valuable football players?

What Cotchery couldn't stand was being passed over by any WR the Jets brought in from '09 to '10. He was insulted that he wasn't awarded a starting job and he didn't take any amount less than he'd have made on the Jets. The Jets were going to insist that he take a pay cut, since he wasn't going to be a starter again, which was a double insult to him. He asked to get out and the Jets obliged him.

The rest is Cotchery saying stuff after the fact to save face. What's he going to say, "The Jets thought I wasn't good enough to start and they're right."?

Im sure it wasnt just Holmes, probably Mason as well. I think the problem was not only being passed over but the guys being brought in, he just didnt like or get along with them.

Maybe The Jets realized the problem they had and figured they could get rid of mason and holmes would straighten out after that, but he didnt the problem just got worse.

He allowed this to fester by not realizing that by being someone's best friend, is also to be a critic in order to make them better.

Rex can't do that.

he is the manager of a department that brings pizza to the employees every day for lunch, and thinks that makes him a good leader

This is ******* bullsh*t. Rex has supposedly lost the team? Then why is THE TEAM calling Holmes out? Nobody has come to Holmes defense and they are sticking up for Sanchez and Wayne Hunter, two of the worst performing starters. The team ous together, Holmes is a douche. If he lost the team there'd be a NoT style mutiny demanding changes.

I don't think many people on here complained when The Jets invested the $$$$$$ in Santonio Holmes after last season

None of us really knows what went on, but in Santonio's defense, he was rarely getting targeted by a woeful QB who at this point is a huge question mark.

On the other hand, Santonio has won a superbowl, and had a 1200 yard receiving season. This year was Tone's worst year statistically.

Most of you here want to blame the player. I, on the other hand blame the QB

he also seemed to run some very lazy routes, not enabling himself to create separation.

How is it that a player with little experience like Kerley can come on create spots for himself in the offense, yet a veteran like Holmes can't seem to be targeted? May have more to do with the effort being put out on the field.

Holmes seems to love the adulation, but does not seem to enjoy when he is singled out as being disruptive. The light just seemed to go "off" after Moore and others called him out early season. He basically went through the motions this year. After a horrible game against the Eagles, he turned his own back on the team this week. That had nothing to do with a qb being able to get him the ball. That was totally his attitude

By being more concerned about Sanchez's feelings than about sending a horrible message to everybody else by steadfastly refusing to acknowledge the fact that the quarterback just plain can't play?

he's a winner, 2 afc championships losses, playoffs, nice feet

This is ******* bullsh*t. Rex has supposedly lost the team? Then why is THE TEAM calling Holmes out? Nobody has come to Holmes defense and they are sticking up for Sanchez and Wayne Hunter, two of the worst performing starters. The team ous together, Holmes is a douche. If he lost the team there'd be a NoT style mutiny demanding changes.

Did Rex do anything about Holmes acting like an a$$ during the Eagles game, and this subsequent week leading into this game? Someone NEEDED TO intervene.

How is it that a player with little experience like Kerley can come on create spots for himself in the offense, yet a veteran like Holmes can't seem to be targeted? May have more to do with the effort being put out on the field.

Excellent point SD.. and I refuse to believe Sanchez deliberately chose to ignore him, thus proving your point even more.

Of course the losers are sticking together. This team is the ******* island of misfit toys.

If you believe that the QB play is the lone reason for this year's results, you were not watching games.

Just one piece of the puzzle.

Interestingly enough - I've watched every single Jets game for the last decade. Weird, I know.

If I had to put percentages on why this season wasnt successful it would look like this...

70% Sanchez

20% Lack of offseason program/change in rules under the new cba hurts a coach like Rex who wants a physical practice. Hard to be smashmouth if you cant practice it/no Cortland for team unity.

10% OL

Interestingly enough - I've watched every single Jets game for the last decade. Weird, I know.

If I had to put percentages on why this season wasnt successful it would look like this...

70% Sanchez

20% Lack of offseason program/change in rules under the new cba hurts a coach like Rex who wants a physical practice. Hard to be smashmouth if you cant practice it/no Cortland for team unity.

10% OL

So

0% to our offensive coordinator

0% to our bad safety play

0% to our special teams turnovers

0% to our blocking TE

0% to ...

. That had nothing to do with a qb being able to get him the ball. That was totally his attitude

It was all about a QB who couldn't get him the ball

How is it your slot receiver has the 2nd longest completion of the season? Because we have a QB with no confidence, that only hits his check down receivers

Do I think Sanchez sucks? No, but he needs a new direction. He needs a new QB coach and OC

Rex expects the guys to police themselves and it never happens.

I'd say it's more likely for a guy like Coughlin to lighten up than Rex to become more of a hard a$$. It wouldnt be believable anyways.

THe locker room polices the team. Most of our leadership moved on last off season

So

0% to our blocking TE

0% to ...

Yep!

Same OC as the last 2 years when the Jets appeared in the AFCG.

Same safeties as the last 2 years when the Jets appeared in the AFCG.

ST turnovers hurt, good Qb play overcomes that, no % necessary

You want me to assign a percentage to a blocking TE? lmfao

So

0% to our blocking TE

0% to ...

Don't so silly, everyone knows the only problems with the entire Jets team are Sanchez and Hunter. Everything else will obviously be solved by a trip to Cortland next year.

Yep!

It's also the same QB and OL as the last 2 years when the Jets appeared in the AFCG, so I guess it was really just 100% no Cortland trip.

Yep!

Should I have called him a non-blocking Te, a holding TE, a penalty waiting to happen TE?

Same Qb as the last 2 years when the Jets appeared in the AFCCCG

i guess all players don't just love playing for rex?

imo, this is up to rex to fix, he's supposed to be a players coach, how did he let this fester???

LOL. How? Because he's the ****in' defensive coordinator, that's how.

Rex had absolutely no clue this was going on. He didn't even know that Moore and Holmes had a beaf until it was reported in the papers. He then thought it was squashed, but it wasn't. Rex didn't know about the argument with Sanchez. Hell, he didn't even know Holmes was benched!

Rex has absolutely no idea what goes on with his team outside of the defense, which is inexcusable on his part.

Most of you here want to blame the player. I, on the other hand blame the QB

When the Steelers get rid of somebody, there is usually a reason. It took the Giants a couple of years to figure out, but eventually proved right.

Sure, you can blame Sanchez, but Holmes is a veteran, and a Captain, and his actions should not be detrimental to the team. Holmes is certainly in the wrong here and this situation has the potential to bring down the Jets.

It's also the same QB and OL as the last 2 years when the Jets appeared in the AFCG, so I guess it was really just 100% no Cortland trip.

Should I have called him a non-blocking Te, a holding TE, a penalty waiting to happen TE?

Same Qb as the last 2 years when the Jets appeared in the AFCCCG

The same QB that the Jets went to the AFCG despite his awful play. A good QB, we're looking a SB/s.

OL had injuries and Wayne Hunter was only a partial fill in last year who clearly didnt live up to expectation. No #75 checks in as eligible receiver this year.

I have a hard time believing this season was the difference between Matt Mulligan and Ben Hartsock.

LOL. How? Because he's the ****in' defensive coordinator, that's how.

Rex had absolutely no clue this was going on. He didn't even know that Moore and Holmes had a beaf until it was reported in the papers. He then thought it was squashed, but it wasn't. Rex didn't know about the argument with Sanchez. Hell, he didn't even know Holmes was benched!

Rex has absolutely no idea what goes on with his team outside of the defense, which is inexcusable on his part.

OMG - everything was fine untill a 3 game collapse at the end of the season bounced them from playoff contention. We win 2 of those 3...NONE OF THIS IS AN ISSUE. Believe it.

The same QB that the Jets went to the AFCG despite his awful play. A good QB, we're looking a SB/s.

OL had injuries and Wayne Hunter was only a partial fill in last year who clearly didnt live up to expectation. No #75 checks in as eligible receiver this year.

I have a hard time believing this season was the difference between Matt Mulligan and Ben Hartsock.

He had a better stats year this season then when they made the AFCCG...guess he needs to play worse if we r to return there..

I'm not arguing that Sanchez wasn't a significant contributor to this season's failures, but you're using different criteria to judge Sanchez than anyone else in order to justify the stance you had already taken. Yes, the Jets made it to the AFCC last year despite crappy QB play, but they also did it despite a crappy OC, the league's worst safeties and the list goes on. So just like last year's success doesn't absolve Sanchez from blame, it doesn't do the same for any of them either. I have no doubt the Jets would be far better off with an upgrade at QB, but there's a hell of a lot more issues with this team beyond Sanchez, and Holmes absolutely makes that list thanks to his garbage attitude and crappy work ethic, which cannot be blamed on anyone but him, no matter how hard you try.

Boomer torches Rex, Sanchez

January, 4, 2012

Jan 4

11:49

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Say this for Boomer Esiason: He's not shy about expressing his opinion. On Wednesday morning, the former Jets quarterback was a guest on a Boston radio station and torched his old team, ripping Rex Ryan, GM Mike Tannenbaum and QB Mark Sanchez.

Actually, "ripped" might be an understatement. He napalmed the Jets, especially Sanchez, whom he referred to as a "chihuahua standing on Madison Avenue and 36th Street entering the Midtown Tunnel, eyes bigger than you-know-what."

This is what Esiason, a studio analyst for CBS, had to say about the Jets' collapse, according to quotes that appear on WEEI's web site:

"I think that Rex Ryan's ways have come back to haunt him. And Mike Tannenbaum, the general manager down here, has a lot of responsibility in this regard, because they have put a lot of bad guys together in this locker room. There's a good core of players for the New York Jets. But unfortunately, all it takes is one guy. And Rex Ryan giving Santonio Holmes the captain's 'C' on the chest was an absolute embarrassment. It's a slap in the face of all the good guys in that locker room.

"They have a major problem with him, because they're going to owe him $15 million guaranteed over the next two years if, in fact, they keep him on the roster next year. They can't cut him, I don't think. And I don't think anybody's going to want to trade for him. So, they've got themselves a handful."

Esiason turned his attention to Sanchez, with this:

"And then this morning in the paper, Jets fans don't want Mark Sanchez back. But this is the world of the Jets. It stays together for a little bit, and then all of a sudden it spirals out of control. And then they have a head coach that kind of exacerbates all of it."

Asked about the possibility of Peyton Manning going to the Jets, Esiason said: "Everywhere you look, that's what they're saying. But first of all, we don't even know if Peyton's able to play. If Peyton is able to play and the new general manager and whoever they hire to run that team out there decides to go without Peyton Manning, then I'm sure that the Jets will be sniffing around. Because that's what the Jets do.

"They're trying to find their Tom Brady. They're trying to find their Aaron Rodgers. And I don't think, in their mind, they think that they feel like they've found the kid. If you watched Mark Sanchez the last month of the season, he was like a chihuahua standing on Madison Avenue and 36th Street entering the Midtown Tunnel, eyes bigger than you-know-what, and just so shaky."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/10217/boomer-torches-rex-sanchez

OMG - everything was fine untill a 3 game collapse at the end of the season bounced them from playoff contention. We win 2 of those 3...NONE OF THIS IS AN ISSUE. Believe it.

I actually completely disagree with this, and it's this kind of attitude that the Jets took last offseason and put them in the position they are in now. Making the playoffs, and even having some playoff success does not erase the long list of issues your team has. After an 11-win season and their second consecutive trip to the AFC Championship the Jets thought there were no issues and decided they'd go about their business with the exception of a couple of lost players and their draft picks. That's why part of me is almost glad the Jets missed the playoffs, because these items were all issues regardless, but if the Jets had made it in, they all likely would have continued to be ignored as things only got worse.

Did you forget that Sanchez was a rookie, and second year player when we went to those AFCCCG's? Sure if we had a good veteran QB we may have won the SB.

While not the entire difference, which isnt what I claimed anyway, Mulligan was a factor in the downfall this year.

If you watched Mark Sanchez the last month of the season, he was like a chihuahua standing on Madison Avenue and 36th Street entering the Midtown Tunnel, eyes bigger than you-know-what, and just so shaky.

What is he alluding to here? Is Boomer uncomfortable saying "dinner plates" or something?

Archived