Greg Mccelroy trashes the Jets

Matt39

Why is it petty

1. He's a scrub

2. Make a statement by releasing a scrub that wasn't ever going to amount to anything

McElroy has a national profile from his Alabama days as a leader and high character guy whose ambition in life is to be President of the United States. Cutting him for regurgitating what's already been in the news for three days would be the height of pettiness and would send exactly the opposite message the Jets should be trying to send right now. This isn't like your frat house, Flounder.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For sure the reason he was drafted in the 7th round is because he doesn't have a cannon for an arm, but he has a stronger arm then Pennington ever dreamed of.

Watch this

I know this is a high light tape, but one thing you can see is he can get the ball upfield, with a lot of accuracy. Pennington could never make those throws.

Read Primates response and also 2 more things there is not one 10 yard out with tight man to man or a NFL CB sitting in a zone licking his chops ready to pounce like Samual did multiple times to Chadwick, and not once in that film did he deliver a throw further than 45 yards in the air, those balls are scooped up by an NFL safety most of the time, not to mention every throw had no defenders barreling down on him like he will see in the NFL.

Why is it petty

1. He's a scrub

2. Make a statement by releasing a scrub that wasn't ever going to amount to anything

Make a statement? Oh yeah, as the Jets lockerroom crumbles apart surrounding their highest paid players, they make massive statements with the release of such big names as Emanuel Cook and Greg McElroy, that will really accomplish a lot. That's letting everyone know you better stay in line... you know, unless you're a highly paid starter, then don't sweat it.

Why is it petty

1. He's a scrub

Release the kid that is speaking on behalf of the majority of the locker room and making comments that are in the best interests of the team. Makes sense. That'll show Rex is loyal to the few punks on the team, and not the team concept. Should pretty much guarantee Rex loses the whole team, and next year is a mess.

Good plan.

no chance. would be a PR disaster. Woodrow and co have proven to be pretty mindful about fan perception of the team. keeping Santonio may be a necessary evil due to that stupid contract but I don't think they'll cut a clean cut team oriented guy just because he said what everyone already knows.

And a wonderful job they do with that intel.

I was actually just busting chops, and even I wouldn't criticize his intelligence, although some of those other items surely did become a point of debate back in the day. :-P

Sorry didn't pick up on the ball busting lol my bad, I've always said it's a dam shame he didn't have a arm comparable to an Eli Manning, and actually know and have the confidence in that arm, meaning he would have never turned into captain dump off, he would have been truly one of the greats I honestly believe that, some might kill me for saying it, but he had Peyton's brain with a women's arm.

If only we could have put vinny's arm with Chad's brain in 2002 we would have crushed Keyshawn's SB moment, every throw Chad made in that 2002 divisional game against Oakland was the right read, and were there for big plays he just didn't have the arm strength to make them, every picked and batted down ball would have went for big plays if he had Vinny's arm, and we prob would have won the SB that year.

Good for McElroy!

Clean up the locker room, clean up the selfishness, but keep the talent. That's a tough order to fill with this team.

and here we are again, needing a major overhaul. I would not want to be in Tanny's shoes, but he did make his bed with all of the free agency crap. imagine if we actually signed Aso.... this year would have been the least of our worries. The next 4 would have completely sucked.

Release the kid that is speaking on behalf of the majority of the locker room and making comments that are in the best interests of the team. Makes sense. That'll show Rex is loyal to the few punks on the team, and not the team concept. Should pretty much guarantee Rex loses the whole team, and next year is a mess.

Good plan.

They might know better with McElroy, particularly since the QB situation is such a mess and the kid obviously hasn't been even the slightest bit of a problem, but unfortunately that kind of move seems to be exactly like their M.O. in recent years. It seems for every time an issue comes up, the big stars get a blind eye turned towards them while some low-level roster nobody is sacrificed in order to "make a point", as if that actually proves anything and any other player worth a damn takes that to mean anything. About the only exception was the Mason deal, but even that only really happened because they were able to move him in a trade and he was getting outperformed by a 4th string rookie. I feel like at this point the Jets are probably looking for the guy they can sacrifice in order to make it seem like they've taken care of everything and the fact that they intend on bringing back all of Sanchez, Holmes and Schotty isn't an absolute disaster waiting to happen.

Whatever, if they don't change their minds on that soon I'll lay big money down with anyone that Rex and Tanny will be unemployed this time next year.

I don't think the people trashing McMouth are looking at the big picture. The problem with this team is the phony cake and balloons atmosphere that they've been trying to portray to the media.

If we don't want to see another season like the one we saw it's going to take the truth getting out. At this point how can Tanny and Rex not overhaul the team? That's good news.

True but in reality you would rather he shut up and all was handled in house. I still hold out hope that once the cancers are removed from that locker room that Sanchez looks more like the guy we hoped he would be.

I hope DeVito gives him the worst assface of his life. A backup rookie talking sh*t? You're a 7th round rook who throws like a girl and was hurt for the ENTIRE SEASON. Get the **** off my team.

Agree in principle, but--and I'm probably projecting here--McElroy sure sounded like a guy who expects to be leading the team at some point in the near future, which may very well be an improvement over the currently available alternatives.

I see a lot of wide open receivers stopping and waiting for the football.

Pennington did the same stuff when he landed in Miami with Dan Henning.

Really?

Here's the 18 throws he makes in tape. All yardage is ball in the air from spot thrown to reception

1) 35 yards hits the guy on the run TD

2) 50 yards hits guy on the run TD

3)40 yards WR has to slow a bit but the ball is on the $

4)40 yards Great throw to a covered WR Leads him

5)30 yards hits WR on run for TD

6)50 yards hits WR on run for TD

7)55 yards WR stops, bit under thrown still a TD

8)From own end zone, hits WR 40 yards upfield right between to DB's. Great throw

9)30 yards. Perfect lead pass TD

10)25 Guy is wide open and already standing still and waving

11)50 yards WR is wide open. Hits him dead on run for TD

12)20 yards perfect lead throw for a TD

13)40 yards. Guy does come back a bit

14) 30 yards Perfect TD throw

15)50 yards Another perfect TD throw leading WR

16) Hit just as he throws. Ball a bit behind WR but still makes catch for TD

17)20 yard perfect lead pass for a TD

18)43 Yards A"nother perfect lead throw for a TD

Not saying the guy is the next Manning, but i think he's around the NFL for quite some time. Much better arm then Chad

Jif I know you have seen this kid play a lot. He is going to be a good player. I'm glad he didn't take the PC route, spoke the truth, and put hisname to it.

That's what a leader does, Sanchez should listen to this interview

I get the feeling that Sanchez isn't afraid to speak about this stuff directly with the offending teammate, thus the friction in the huddle and during the player meetings (that he called for). In terms of leadership, I believe Sanchez is doing just fine considering his age.

I get the feeling that Sanchez isn't afraid to speak about this stuff directly with the offending teammate, thus the friction in the huddle and during the player meetings (that he called for). In terms of leadership, I believe Sanchez is doing just fine considering his age.

I’m probably being to harsh on Sanchez, but I was watching the huddle with binocs when the blow up happened between Hunter, Slauson, and Holmes.

Sanchez just stood there , like huh? He should have been the one to tell Holmes to STFU not Slauson

Dude wasnt trashing the Jets, seems like he was simply telling the truth. It was pretty evident this year on the field. If the Jet organization is pissed at him then they should be even more pissed at their performance. If they fixed that they wouldnt have to worry about players speaking their mind.

I respect what Greg did.

He spilled the beans

He's soon to be just like you.....unemployed

Seriously? I thought he was taking some initiative towards being named captain next year

Tone talked sh*t openly to the media all season and that certainly wasn't frowned upon Rex liked his passion.

Plus McElroy is arguably the best QB on the roster if they're planning on keeping Kerley at WR another season

Agree in principle, but--and I'm probably projecting here--McElroy sure sounded like a guy who expects to be leading the team at some point in the near future, which may very well be an improvement over the currently available alternatives.

Which makes it even worse. Last thing the Jets need is for their next leader to be too retarded to not keep sh*t in house. The fact that he did it on Francessa's show of all people makes it that much worse.

He's delusional regardless. Dude looked soft as hell in preseason. I cannot stress how much his arm sucks. There's a reason he went in the 7th round.

Here's the pre season tape of him with the Jets behind their sensational back up OL

Doesen't get a chance to show much arm, but just that he finds a way

This is the one thing I truly remember about his game at Bama. It seemed like every single time they needed a big play in the passing game, he delivered. But, they really didnt ask him to do much. I think they ran the ball almost 60% of the time with that two headed monster of Engram and Richardson. So they ran a ton of play action, to get one on one for Jones and Maze. If you watch the college tape, you'll notice he was never putting it in a window or throw a receiver open - pretty much go routes and throw it up for grabs. For that, he worries me in this league. I can remember Haden and Jenkins completely shutting Jones down because they were such good lock down corners and McElroy couldnt get away with just lobbing it up there.

Smart player though. Never made mistakes from no turning the ball over but great game awareness as well. Only remember one clunker. However, he's the quintessential game manager. Lacks the physical tools. Maybe he'll work in a similar ground and pound offense but he's just not someone I ever seeing put a team on his back to win a game.

Am I the only one wondering if McElroy just made himself into the martyr for this offseason's "cleanup of the locker room" while the team keeps around all of the complete douchebags and proven failures that currently make up the roster (and coaching staff)?

Didn't mean to neg rep. ;)

Just shocks me that McElroy did this. Rex asked them to keep things in-house. I know McElroy was right in what he said, but they need to work this stuff out amongst themselves.

Rex is going to have to start being tougher on these guys for talking to the media.

Which makes it even worse. Last thing the Jets need is for their next leader to be too retarded to not keep sh*t in house. The fact that he did it on Francessa's show of all people makes it that much worse.

He's delusional regardless. Dude looked soft as hell in preseason. I cannot stress how much his arm sucks. There's a reason he went in the 7th round.

Both points taken, although a. it was on some no-name Birmingham show (Francesa just played the most damning excerpts), and b. if we're running the Hackett offense, all other things being equal he probably wins us the Denver game and the second Miami game.

Just shocks me that McElroy did this. Rex asked them to keep things in-house. I know McElroy was right in what he said, but they need to work this stuff out amongst themselves.

Rex is going to have to start being tougher on these guys for talking to the media.

fwiw...i am extremely pleased McElroy spoke out...when the sh*t hits the fan...someone needs to provide the brutal honesty...hope they keep him...iirc...he's a Jets fan...idolized Namath and stuff...the kid spoke the truth as he saw it...something the current HC has actively said he's OK with...hopefullt he meant it.

Rex has cultivated and even encouraged this for 3 years, It's hard to get the genie back in the bottle now. Plus I'd rather the kid put his name on it then all this anonymously quoted veteran BS. sh*ts gotta get worse before it gets better, the front office needs a kick in the a$$

if we're running the Hackett offense, all other things being equal he probably wins us the Denver game and the second Miami game.

I don't see how that's an indictment of anything he's able to do. Ace Ventura's fake asylum QB could have been under center running the slow-motion reverse replay plays for those games and we would have pulled those out.

I don't see how that's an indictment of anything he's able to do. Ace Ventura's fake asylum QB could have been under center running the slow-motion reverse replay plays for those games and we would have pulled those out.

I'm gonna execute a buttonhook pattern in super slo-mo.

mccelroy wont be back next year for one reason and one reason only. he did what any other "cancer-ish" teammate would do and that's talk sh*t about your own team to the media! think about it this way.. Rex is praising UNITY and then mccelroy brings this to the media? is that the dumbest sh*t he could possibly say about him team AFTER Rex has just said he wants UNITY?

seeya mccelroy but you had your one and only season with the JETS and didnt even get to play.

Those who can't play talk. This totally smacks of the interview McElroy did with Cowherd last year where he was trashing Newton for stumbling when he was asked what his favorite play call was. Who's laughing now, nerd boy?

Ainge brings up a good point here. I don't think McElroy realizes how lucky he is that Percocet and meth addiction hasn't yet cost him a six-figure job in the NFL...yet.

I'd still let him come back. Ainge is still the best QB we've had over the past 5 years.

Archived