Mike T's Road to Nowhere

sirlancemehlot

Fair enough. The point, however, is if Tannenbaum is at the mercy of his coaches when drafting, then why is he the GM in the first place if all he does is crunch numbers? A real GM, maybe, doesn't let his coach tell him to draft a well-rumored dog in Gholston or trade picks for other team's exiled players. If Tannenbaum isn't even able to do that, then what is he doing?

You answered your own question, he cant evaluate so he picks who HC tells him to pick.

other than that

Debits

Credits

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You answered your own question, he cant evaluate so he picks who HC tells him to pick.

other than that

Debits

Credits

And Bradway.

Bottom line, the second Sanchez gets benched next season Tannenbaum should start updating his résumé. I don't know how much money Woody will tolerate eating like that, especially if they end up having to cut Holmes at some point.

And Bradway.

Bottom line, the second Sanchez gets benched next season Tannenbaum should start updating his résumé. I don't know how much money Woody will tolerate eating like that, especially if they end up having to cut Holmes at some point.

IF sanchez is starting QB next year, 4 years of hell coming. This franchise should be real good at starting over, we've done it about 25x.

In Tanny we Trust, who came up with that mantra El Capitain lol?

Rex had a bad season, plain and simple. He also got us to back to back championship games his fisrt 2 years. We'll have to see how Rex does next season IMO before judging his hire.

Oh hell yes. I wasn't saying that Rex was a bad hire. Im just saying that you can't wipe Tannenbaum's hands entirely clean of this season's mess just like you can't exonerate him for Mangini ultimately failing.

IF sanchez is starting QB next year, 4 years of hell coming. This franchise should be real good at starting over, we've done it about 25x.

In Tanny we Trust, who came up with that mantra El Capitain lol?

Is he still in hiding over his Clemson team's most recent debacle?

To be honest, those 3 picks were can't miss.

Someone looking at ESPN the morning of the draft could've made those picks.

I still want to understand how he scouts the UMass offense and see Dukie-a$$ blocking 250 lbs Holy Cross, Fordham and Lehigh guys destined to work on Wall Street and takes that POS in the 2nd. And misses Victor Cruz's speed on the same unit.

So because we aren't the Rams it's ok that we went into a season with Eric Smith as a starting Safety(is there a single person here who didn't know this wouldn't work), no depth on the O-line(I can't even remember off the top of my head the guy we had backup Mangold), the Holmes contract(Self explanatory) and the fact that our only other option at QB was a 70 years old is who isn't even a QB anymore as much as a buddy for Sanchez

Rams have won a Superbowl in the last 40 years btw, but I guess part of being a Jets fan is celebrating mediocrity

Robbie Felix a 2nd yearr FA/PS guy, who was cut when they signed Baxter.

I still want to understand how he scouts the UMass offense and see Dukie-a$$ blocking 250 lbs Holy Cross, Fordham and Lehigh guys destined to work on Wall Street and takes that POS in the 2nd. And misses Victor Cruz's speed on the same unit.

You Know the answer....Tanny can find a loophole in your tax return though

They have scouts and stuff dude. Ultimately he is responsible for the picks but it's not like all the picks are his 'personal' picks.

They have scouts and stuff dude. Ultimately he is responsible for the picks but it's not like all the picks are his 'personal' picks.

Might be the case,except Tannebaum graduated for Umass. had to have some interest in players from his old school. We reach for one guy, the Jints sign a FA and he becomes Pro Bowler.He had to looka t tape. Did it occurr to him may be to look at the fast wideout on the same plays?

Might be the case,except Tannebaum graduated for Umass. had to have some interest in players from his old school. We reach for one guy, the Jints sign a FA and he becomes Pro Bowler.He had to looka t tape. Did it occurr to him may be to look at the fast wideout on the same plays?

lol, good point. you win that battle.

So because we aren't the Rams it's ok that we went into a season with Eric Smith as a starting Safety(is there a single person here who didn't know this wouldn't work), no depth on the O-line(I can't even remember off the top of my head the guy we had backup Mangold), the Holmes contract(Self explanatory) and the fact that our only other option at QB was a 70 years old is who isn't even a QB anymore as much as a buddy for Sanchez

Rams have won a Superbowl in the last 40 years btw, but I guess part of being a Jets fan is celebrating mediocrity

s

Eric Smith at safety did work. The D was still very good. Turner was the backup C. He got hurt. I guess not only do we need pro bowl safeties, but pro bowl 3rd string centers.

Does anybody here honestly believe that Mike Tannenbaum is the key talent evaluator for the Jets?

Does anybody hear really believe that Tannenbaum makes picks that Rex, the staff, and the head personnel guy haven't positively weighed in on?

Remember Mr. T trying to throw a football or catch a punt on Hard Knocks? I don't think the guy has ever strapped on a pair of pads in his entire life. He wouldn't know football talent if Dick Butkus came up and knocked him on his a$$.

He's an accountant who is smart enough to know that he's not smart enough to evaluate talent, and thus depends heavily on his football people's opinion.

Make no mistake ... Mangini selected Revis. He also selected Gholston and Keller.

Rex and Callahan selected Wilkerson, Ellis, and Ducasse.

Tannenbaum made the phone call on draft day and negotiated the contracts.

So if it isn't Tanny's fault we drafted Sanchez and Ducasse and Wilson and Shlegel and Gholston, etc.... and it isn't Tanny's fault we kept Schotty on as OC and it isn't Tanny's fault we kept Holmes and paid him an assload of money when Pittsburg tossed him out like yesterday's trash and it isn't Tanny's fault we had no line depth and haven't had a pass rush in years and it isn't Tanny's fault the team is full of selfish malcontents and it isn't Tanny's fault we traded away a ton of draft picks and it isn't Tanny's fault we are less talented and have no depth and are starting mediocre safeties for years and it isn't Tanny's fault we turned over all of our wide receivers in one year and it isn't Tanny's fault we drafted Sanchez's best friend instead of Herzlich or Lefeged and it isn't Tanny's fault we lost Woody....Then what the hell is it that the GENERAL MANAGER of a football team is responsible for? Anyone?

Six years, my friend. How many years would you like to give him? Ten?

Jets fans are like spies, or what that guy on Burn Notice says about spies: A bunch of whiny little bitches.

The team has made deep playoff runs the two prior years. You guys have a right to bitch, but to act like these guys should be out before they have another season to right the ship is preposterous. Mark my words, this is a good team. Feel free to disagree, but either this is a good team that underperformed and needs some tweaks or, if the talent level is so low, Rex is a monster motivator. One or the other, but we have to get rid of both coach and GM, right?

Let's go back to the Giants comparison. You people want to act like the Jets need to be blown up and the Giants are good? The Jets outplayed them most of that game. Sure they lost, but not by enough to make me beleive there is some great talent disparity. The Giants scored less points than they gave up for the season. IIRC, the Patriots are the only winning team they beat and I'm pretty sure the Jets and Bills are the only other two teams they beat that had winning records when they played. They lost to the powerhouse Redskins twice and the Seahawks. At home.

If we switched their jerseys you guys would have run Coughlin out of town for "losing the team" when they roll over and die at the end of each season.

Umenyiora, Tuck, Kiwanuka would be mercilessly ripped for being made out of glass. Eli would be demonized for his horrific INTs - remember the one he threw to Kerrigan on opening day? Sanchez waited until last week to try to top it. Name some of those great FA pickups that they made to straighten out their defense. Please, do it. They have done much better lately with Boley, Rolle and Canty, but they still can't field decent LBs and their secondary has been in a shambles most of the season.

That's okay though. The Giants are a powerhouse and class organization and we are the sad little bitches crying in the basement. Oh and they are all class. It's not like Bradon Jacobs doesn't cheap shot every DB that tackles him or yap to the press. They didn't start squawking about the Falcons in the press - no wait...

Jets fans are like spies, or what that guy on Burn Notice says about spies: A bunch of whiny little bitches.

The team has made deep playoff runs the two prior years. You guys have a right to bitch, but to act like these guys should be out before they have another season to right the ship is preposterous. Mark my words, this is a good team. Feel free to disagree, but either this is a good team that underperformed and needs some tweaks or, if the talent level is so low, Rex is a monster motivator. One or the other, but we have to get rid of both coach and GM, right?

Let's go back to the Giants comparison. You people want to act like the Jets need to be blown up and the Giants are good? The Jets outplayed them most of that game. Sure they lost, but not by enough to make me beleive there is some great talent disparity. The Giants scored less points than they gave up for the season. IIRC, the Patriots are the only winning team they beat and I'm pretty sure the Jets and Bills are the only other two teams they beat that had winning records when they played. They lost to the powerhouse Redskins twice and the Seahawks. At home.

If we switched their jerseys you guys would have run Coughlin out of town for "losing the team" when they roll over and die at the end of each season.

Umenyiora, Tuck, Kiwanuka would be mercilessly ripped for being made out of glass. Eli would be demonized for his horrific INTs - remember the one he threw to Kerrigan on opening day? Sanchez waited until last week to try to top it. Name some of those great FA pickups that they made to straighten out their defense. Please, do it. They have done much better lately with Boley, Rolle and Canty, but they still can't field decent LBs and their secondary has been in a shambles most of the season.

That's okay though. The Giants are a powerhouse and class organization and we are the sad little bitches crying in the basement. Oh and they are all class. It's not like Bradon Jacobs doesn't cheap shot every DB that tackles him or yap to the press. They didn't start squawking about the Falcons in the press - no wait...

As far as the Giants go...they would not have paid 50 mil to Santonio Holmes. I guarantee you that. Bet a nut. Tanny did. And that's a problem. As far as throwing out the baby with the bath water...you are right. This team has many of the elements it needs to be successful. Rex can be a good coach. He's still learning on the Job. I honestly believe he needs three more years to figure it out. Even Belly screwed the pooch in Cleveland before getting it right. Sanchez? A good QB if you ask me. He just needs a ton of help. He's made plenty of great plays and is competitive as hell. He's been hamstrung by the OC and by Tanny's crappy WR decisions and a bad line. But last year, with the game on the line, I believed he would pull it out. and he did several times. He needs help though. This can be a solid team again. But it needs solid people. Losing T-Rich, woody, Cotchery and others has left a vaccuum that's been filled with the likes of Holmes and a bunch of nobodies. Sad. Tanny needs to be retained, in a capologist capacity. He is the best in the league at contract negotiation. But the Jets need a true general manager. That's the final puzzle piece if you ask me.

How can you even argue the Giants arent a better franchise then the Jets? They play for a championship every 10 years, you're telling me I should have a hard on because we made it to a couple AFC championships. If I ever have a kid I'm buying him Giants gears and every Sunday he's going to ask if daddy is ok cause I'll be locked away down the basement screaming.and breaking things

A big part of the reason that the Giants are playing for a championship every now and then is because the owners don't wet themselves and follow the whims of their genius fanbase and the New York press. Two groups that are notoriously fickle and poor football evaluators. They stuck with Coughlin after a few late season implosions and team mutinies. Sure that means that they may have been too loyal to a guy like Handley, but you can't develop anything if the coaches are constantly run out of town.

As far as the Giants go...they would not have paid 50 mil to Santonio Holmes. I guarantee you that. Bet a nut. Tanny did. And that's a problem. As far as throwing out the baby with the bath water...you are right. This team has many of the elements it needs to be successful. Rex can be a good coach. He's still learning on the Job. I honestly believe he needs three more years to figure it out. Even Belly screwed the pooch in Cleveland before getting it right. Sanchez? A good QB if you ask me. He just needs a ton of help. He's made plenty of great plays and is competitive as hell. He's been hamstrung by the OC and by Tanny's crappy WR decisions and a bad line. But last year, with the game on the line, I believed he would pull it out. and he did several times. He needs help though. This can be a solid team again. But it needs solid people. Losing T-Rich, woody, Cotchery and others has left a vaccuum that's been filled with the likes of Holmes and a bunch of nobodies. Sad. Tanny needs to be retained, in a capologist capacity. He is the best in the league at contract negotiation. But the Jets need a true general manager. That's the final puzzle piece if you ask me.

He built that team that you thought was going to win last year. Look at the "leadership void". The guys that left did not light the league on fire. Edwards was cut and on the street. Cotchery unable to play for almost half the season and Brad Smith didn't add much in the Bills. Richardson and Woody are out of the league and Ellis is barely in the rotation on a crappy NE defense. Sure the team may have suffered compared to what those guys did in 2010, but it's obvious we'd have been way worse off if we had them back. If you ask me, they need good to adequate play at QB and they will be more than good.

Thanks for bringing up JPP. The Giants have JPP, an elite QB and VICTOR CRUZ! They also have the authoritarian coach all you softies need. THEY SUCK! I will admit they beat the Jets and were slightly better this year, but you people all look to the Giants as some kind of model franchise, yet over Ryan's tenure they have been worse than the Jets. They aren't even in a division with a great team, unlike the Jets. The Jets have to deal with the Pats twice a year. That's much more difficult than the Cowboys or Eagles. LET'S BLOW IT UP! CLEAN HOUSE! What a bunch of whiny Nancys.

I dont know if they have been far worse. They played in a more competitive conference missing the playoffs last year at 10-6. The regular season records were 8-8, 10-6, 9-7. Our guys were 9-7, 11-5, and 8-8. I think our coaches got more out of less with our 2009 and 2010 teams while the Giants underperformed in 2009 and 2010. Our teams rep comes from the great playoff runs, but the Giants as an organization are only a few years removed from one of the great runs.

I do think the Giants are one of the more model franchises in the league because they hit some high points every few years it seems. But one of the reasons they are that type of franchise, similar to someone like the Steelers, is the fact that they stay committed to their plans. There is no Brett Favre on the horizon for them. They get a guy they stick with him. They get a coach they stick with him. They believe in pass rushers so they keep drafting them. They believe in overpaying early rather than holding off and being forced to pay for really bad years at the backend. The Jets certainly should be following that mix with Rex and maybe they need to be going at O-lineman the way the Giants do D-linemen. Probably should resist the temptation to cut Sanchez too.

As far as the Giants go...they would not have paid 50 mil to Santonio Holmes. I guarantee you that. Bet a nut. Tanny did. And that's a problem. As far as throwing out the baby with the bath water...you are right. This team has many of the elements it needs to be successful. Rex can be a good coach. He's still learning on the Job. I honestly believe he needs three more years to figure it out.

I think he's earned at least 3 more years, depending, of course. A single 4-12 season would be enough to axe him, I'm sure, but that ain't goinna happen.

Even Belly screwed the pooch in Cleveland before getting it right.

Let's be clear: by no means were Beli's first 3 years even remotely comparable to Rex's first 3 years. It's not even in the same ballpark. Rex should not have to apologize for his work over the past 3 years. It wasn't perfect but it was a damn good job.

I dont know if they have been far worse. They played in a more competitive conference missing the playoffs last year at 10-6. The regular season records were 8-8, 10-6, 9-7. Our guys were 9-7, 11-5, and 8-8. I think our coaches got more out of less with our 2009 and 2010 teams while the Giants underperformed in 2009 and 2010. Our teams rep comes from the great playoff runs, but the Giants as an organization are only a few years removed from one of the great runs.

I do think the Giants are one of the more model franchises in the league because they hit some high points every few years it seems. But one of the reasons they are that type of franchise, similar to someone like the Steelers, is the fact that they stay committed to their plans. There is no Brett Favre on the horizon for them. They get a guy they stick with him. They get a coach they stick with him. They believe in pass rushers so they keep drafting them. They believe in overpaying early rather than holding off and being forced to pay for really bad years at the backend. The Jets certainly should be following that mix with Rex and maybe they need to be going at O-lineman the way the Giants do D-linemen. Probably should resist the temptation to cut Sanchez too.

Funny you bring that up, but the Favre move was one I was against at the time it happened. I didn't want him and wanted to stay the course, but considering what they gave up for him I sure couldn't complain. I'm not a huge fan of giving all that money to Holmes, but I stood up for him on here because I thought he was a better option than Edwards. Now it looks like we might have been better off without either.

I don't mind your Oline suggestion, but I don't think it will work. They are generally the most useless guys for special teams and Rex has shown a propensity to like ot have a ton of DBs active which will limit how useful they will be on game day. I'm hoping they keep going after LBs. I don't think it would take a great 1st rounder to upgrade Bryan Thomas/Westerman or what we got from Scott this season.

Holy flashback. You could have lifted this post, almost verbatim, from any Jets message board during the Herm Era when all of those "whiny little bitches" were objectively pointing out a flawed, poorly constructed roster that was coached by a charismatic loudmouth who deluded his desperate flock into believing their team was infinitely better than it was.

I don't understand why you're so hung up on the Giants.

Funny you bring that up, but the Favre move was one I was against at the time it happened. I didn't want him and wanted to stay the course, but considering what they gave up for him I sure couldn't complain. I'm not a huge fan of giving all that money to Holmes, but I stood up for him on here because I thought he was a better option than Edwards. Now it looks like we might have been better off without either.

I don't mind your Oline suggestion, but I don't think it will work. They are generally the most useless guys for special teams and Rex has shown a propensity to like ot have a ton of DBs active which will limit how useful they will be on game day. I'm hoping they keep going after LBs. I don't think it would take a great 1st rounder to upgrade Bryan Thomas/Westerman or what we got from Scott this season.

I still think signing Holmes was the right move. I think they overpaid a little, but I think they were also worried about him hitting free agency. I know there have been tweets about Holmes only receiving "mild interest from Washington", but the fact is they never let him have a chance to explore options so nobody knows what interest there was in him. The problem with Holmes stemmed from how the Jets used him. I have no idea what they were thinking. The fact that t blew up was on the coaching staff for not finding a way to fix it. I was reading over some of my post games yesterday and came across the Raven one from week 4 and here is what I wrote back then:

I worry about the wide receivers. This isn’t Braylon Edwards who was just happy to be here and rarely complained about anything. WR’s are divas and they chip away at team chemistry when things are not going well. The Jets have two of them in Holmes and Burress. Holmes has already complained about not getting the ball and I have a feeling it will be even worse this week. If these guys stop playing, and there are tons of really good ones who have in these situations, it is going to be a mess. Holmes is here for the long haul and he has to understand that. He needs to build up some chemistry with his QB and keep the complaints in house. The NY media and fanbase pick up on these things and it becomes a distraction for the team

Now if some guy watching games on TV says this immediately following the fourth game of the season then the Jets should have seen this in training camp. They certainly should have seen it midseason and figured out a way to build those two up. Running short slants with a guy that doesnt have great hands and a guy who cant put the ball on target most of the time just isnt going to make anyone happy. Holmes is going to get peeved that he gets hit after catching a pass because he has to stop and wait or that he is open and gets overthrown by 10 yards. Sanchez is going to get angry when he actually hits the guy in the hands and he cant catch the ball. Thats all on the staff. Instead the Jets waited another few weeks and thought the solution was to send Mason packing and then to give Brandon Moore a captain tag, because obviously the problem was that not enough guys were named captain. It was high school BS.

See I think Rex wants O-linemen. I think Rex likes what they had on the Ravens, which was a big reason why they cut Faneca when they got Ducasse. Rex wants huge road graders on that line. Faneca was more finesse at that point. Thats what kind of makes the Hunter move a bit strange since he is more finesse as well, but Rex wants nasty big guys on that O-line. Thats the kind of football he wants to play. So I think he is all for linemen. Clearly he likes DBs too. I thought the Jets should have drafted a LB last season to replace Scott this season, but maybe they do it this year. Since Rex got here they have yet to draft a LB which is a bit surprising.

Archived