Mike T's Road to Nowhere

sirlancemehlot

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eric Smith at safety worked? Unless you picked up whatever TE was playing us on a weekly bases I don't know how you could feel that way

I don't like Eric Smith either. Never did. It worked because the defense was not a problem. Don't believe me? Go fight withAten. Sure they could be better, but not much and I think many of the problems stemmed from adding youth. For instance, Ellis was in for much of the Dolphins long drive. I think Wilkerson and Ellis will be around for a long time, but there are/will be growing pains.

Holy flashback. You could have lifted this post, almost verbatim, from any Jets message board during the Herm Era when all of those "whiny little bitches" were objectively pointing out a flawed, poorly constructed roster that was coached by a charismatic loudmouth who deluded his desperate flock into believing their team was infinitely better than it was.

I don't understand why you're so hung up on the Giants.

That's the only reason I feel bad about debating you mooks. We have every right to bitch. Things didn't work out. My problem is the whole heads MUST roll mentality. You think somebody should be replaced? Spell it out and we will discuss it, but this team has been competitive under these guys and Tannenbaum inherited steam with nothing of value and some huge worthless contracts- Penny & Martin.

I honestly don't think the team is far OKC, but I can understand people disagreeing. I constantly bring up the Giants because they are looked at as some sort of model franchise when they are no better. It takes luck too.

I'm done fixing my typos. Phone + autospell = disastrous posts.

That's the only reason I feel bad about debating you mooks. We have every right to bitch. Things didn't work out. My problem is the whole heads MUST roll mentality. You think somebody should be replaced? Spell it out and we will discuss it, but this team has been competitive under these guys and Tannenbaum inherited steam with nothing of value and some huge worthless contracts- Penny & Martin.

I honestly don't think the team is far OKC, but I can understand people disagreeing. I constantly bring up the Giants because they are looked at as some sort of model franchise when they are no better. It takes luck too.

I'm done fixing my typos. Phone + autospell = disastrous posts.

You're overreacting, you. Nobody is saying anyone should be fired this year except for Schottenheimer. The "regime change" comment was made regarding the possibility that the trajectory of this team is headed downward. If they go 8-8 or worse next year, the pressure is going to be on to make significant changes as soon as next year. Whether you love or hate Tannenbaum, it's all going to be on Woody to decide how much more time he's willing to give him to deliver the team to elite status. Where you and I diverge, obviously, is where the Jets talent falls on that scale and whether or not Tannenbaum has the ability to move the dial.

I don't like Eric Smith either. Never did. It worked because the defense was not a problem. Don't believe me? Go fight withAten. Sure they could be better, but not much and I think many of the problems stemmed from adding youth. For instance, Ellis was in for much of the Dolphins long drive. I think Wilkerson and Ellis will be around for a long time, but there are/will be growing pains.

I'm only half kidding when I say I think Ellis or Wilkerson would have probably caught up to Brent Celek on his 60 yard touchdown reception, Eric smith looked like he was running in cement, His only career highlight is killing Anquan Boldin and we gave up a touchdown on that play

You're overreacting, you. Nobody is saying anyone should be fired this year except for Schottenheimer. The "regime change" comment was made regarding the possibility that the trajectory of this team is headed downward. If they go 8-8 or worse next year, the pressure is going to be on to make significant changes as soon as next year. Whether you love or hate Tannenbaum, it's all going to be on Woody to decide how much more time he's willing to give him to deliver the team to elite status. Where you and I diverge, obviously, is where the Jets talent falls on that scale and whether or not Tannenbaum has the ability to move the dial.

In response I will quote Sperm Edwards:

Jerk.

• 2 months later...

it's really not rational to expect a championship. there's too many variables and it's just too difficult. All you can really expect is for the team to make the playoffs and have a chance to get hot.

The way the NFL playoffs are structured, it's all about who gets hot in the playoffs. In other sports, for example the English Premier League, there are no playoffs. The 1st place team is the champion, period. I'm not saying that system is better or worse, but when you go with a head to head 1 and done playoff system, there's gonna be surprises every year.

it's really not rational to expect a championship. there's too many variables and it's just too difficult. All you can really expect is for the team to make the playoffs and have a chance to get hot.

The way the NFL playoffs are structured, it's all about who gets hot in the playoffs. In other sports, for example the English Premier League, there are no playoffs. The 1st place team is the champion, period. I'm not saying that system is better or worse, but when you go with a head to head 1 and done playoff system, there's gonna be surprises every year.

The Jets wouldnt win in either system

With a lifetime of Jets fandom so far, the years since Parcells took over have on the whole been wonderful. Despite not yet winning a second title.

We are regularly a playoff contender, with talented interesting enjoyable teams.

It could be better, but it could also be much worse.

The Jets wouldnt win in either system

let me also add

people have this idea that once the team wins a championship, all will be right with the world. or the common phrase just one ring "I could die happy"

it really doesn't work that way. Ask any Steelers or Pats fan if their past victories make them want future championships any less. It's a never-ending journey, enjoy it. cause the destination is like 2 weeks of happiness. and then hit the reset button and try again.

I also believe alot of you moaners and groaners are enjoying the losses. You are like the gamblers who secretly enjoy an almost win (loss) more than an actual win. If the Jets actually won a title what would you bing bongs have to complain about? Who would tom Shane rail about firing?

Some people draft Vernon Gholston, some people draft Von Miller and Jason Pierre Paul.

And how do you propose we were supposed to get either Von Miller or JPP? Oh right, I forgot how easy it is to move from 29 to 14, or from 30 to 2.

The relative success of the team has been among Tannenbaum's biggest downfalls when it comes to the draft.

let me also add

people have this idea that once the team wins a championship, all will be right with the world. or the common phrase just one ring "I could die happy"

it really doesn't work that way. Ask any Steelers or Pats fan if their past victories make them want future championships any less. It's a never-ending journey, enjoy it. cause the destination is like 2 weeks of happiness. and then hit the reset button and try again.

I also believe alot of you moaners and groaners are enjoying the losses. You are like the gamblers who secretly enjoy an almost win (loss) more than an actual win. If the Jets actually won a title what would you bing bongs have to complain about? Who would tom Shane rail about firing?

When you think about it, it's kind of silly to criticize Mike Tannenbaum when we're mere particles in the unthinkable vastness of the universe. Better to spend our scant few decades making a meaningful life before sloughing off this mortal coil and passing into the great beyond. Perspective, people.

And how do you propose we were supposed to get either Von Miller or JPP? Oh right, I forgot how easy it is to move from 29 to 14, or from 30 to 2.

The relative success of the team has been among Tannenbaum's biggest downfalls when it comes to the draft.

You dick. I was pointing out the perils of being a General Manager, especially one with no background in scouting to fall back on.

You dick. I was pointing out the perils of being a General Manager, especially one with no background in scouting to fall back on.

And I'm pointing out the clear and present fallacies in your arguments. You moron.

(Mods: The above was said with <3, and a reference to Tom's "we should draft some tight end" thread from last year. It was not a personal attack, even if Tom deserves it. GFY.)

I can't tell you how disappointed I was to find that you weren't the one to bump this thread in the first place.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was to find that you weren't the one to bump this thread in the first place.

Perhaps you fellas don't recall my vow to lay off Tannenbaum after they made the AFCCG?? I have, for the most part, outside of a few banal throwaway jokes. I get no credit for my restraint.

You can criticize many of Tannenbaum’s decisions just like you could any other GM. The facts are the Jets have built in a win now manner under utilizing the draft and opting to trade for veterans and sign free agents.

This strategy did work the Jets had their shoot at a championship but like using a big charge card the bill comes in fast. Many players: Favre, Sheppard, Jenkins, Edwards that were traded for picks are now gone and you had to pay players like Holmes and Cromartie big contracts to keep them after they were traded for picks and became FA.

Eventually you have to pay up even last year with the courtship of Nnamdi it just seemed like when will the dam burst? You saw some cracks in 2011 older/slower players and they lacked depth (Colin Baxter). It seemed like the years of mortgage the future had caught up with the team.

2012 was going to be different the Jets went into FA slow and cautious looking for bargains since they had tight finances. They were going to have a full complement of draft picks and comp picks so they would start turning over the team with some younger cheaper players.

Then they traded for Tebow and he cost the team $2.25 million in additional salary cap room and a fourth round draft pick. Now under normal circumstances this wouldn’t be that big a deal but this was the offseason the Jets were going to make boring football moves to pay the piper; they just couldn’t resist being short sighted.

Now you can argue Tebow brings more than the money and pick would so he is worth it. My thing is you now need to run two offenses. If Tebow is the ‘backup’ and Sanchez got hurt he would run the read option offense while Sanchez runs the regular offense. It is not like bringing in Chad Henne who could just step in and run the same plays. My question is do the Jets have the personnel to run a Tebow type offense and does it hurt the offense to have to focus on two different styles?

I felt the scapegoat Schotty was gone and Sparano was going to implement a Sanchez friendly offense. The Jets would go all in on Sanchez giving him a good line, running game and another WR, then all the excuses would be gone. It would be time for Sanchez to put up or shut up. Now I don’t know what will happen with the QB’s cause you have two.

I would have loved to sign Mario Williams but reality prevented it, reality should have prevented the Tebow move as well?

This was not the year to make a splash and maybe this one will spell the end for Tannenbaum.

let me also add

I like want to be part of the solution, and not like part of the problem.

How about if the Jets just put a consistent and strong product on the field. Wins and losses will follow suit when you play good defense (check) and have an offense that isn't completely inept as ours is.

Oh come on.

honestly, demanding a ring is not realistic. We can demand playoff caliber teams, and that didn't happen last year. But what happens in the playoffs, that's up in the air. being in the division as Tom Brady is also a historical piece of bad luck. It is like when the Ewing knicks were in the same conference as the Jordan Bulls.

Let's also remember the Jets don't have a franchise caliber QB. they don't have a brady, brees, big ben, eli, rodgers type of player. So realistically they aren't a championship threat, no matter who the GM or HC is... they hope they can be a rare defensive ring winner like the Bucs, Ravens or Redskins. But honestly that happens like once every 10 years.

I guess what I'm saying is fire Tanny, fire Rex, it won't change Sanchez into Tom Brady. without a franchise passer, they need everything to break just right.

When you think about it, it's kind of silly to criticize Mike Tannenbaum when we're mere particles in the unthinkable vastness of the universe. Better to spend our scant few decades making a meaningful life before sloughing off this mortal coil and passing into the great beyond. Perspective, people.

touche. in the long run none of it matters. My point wasn't to go up to that level of abstraction, but instead look at it from an all-32 team view. looking at all the teams, it's just really tough to win a ring. We look at it as just Jets fans and that's fair enough. But there's 31 losers and 1 winner every year. There's not 31 terrible GM and 1 good one. It's just a tough nut to crack. Honestly the Jets don't really deserve a ring. Whether Sanchez or Tebow is running the show, neither is a blue chip QB and without that it's gonna be a long shot. If Revis or Mangold was a QB that would be a different story. But that's not how the league is structured. Every year they make rule changes that favor the QB and the passing game.

No, Not at all. Three years of mistakes led to a rudderless ship with no depth and no identity and a lockerroom lost. Three years to dismantle a top 5 o-line. Nothing to do with 8-8. Which isn't so bad, really. It's the precipitous plunge in talent and depth, combined with bad drafts and bad attitude players that I speak of.

Not to mention the parade of thug turds that the Jets brought in and the resulting "me-first" attitude in the locker room. I understand that you have to bring in talent as opposed to bringing in "good guys," but there has to be some degree of balance.

And I'm pointing out the clear and present fallacies in your arguments. You moron.

(Mods: The above was said with <3, and a reference to Tom's "we should draft some tight end" thread from last year. It was not a personal attack, even if Tom deserves it. GFY.)

JonE80

It hasn't been a single season of failure. It's been three seasons of failure. "But we made it the playoffs! Deep into the playoffs!", you say. And you are right. The team has had two succesful seasons followed by a season of Nowhere. Home. Season over. No playoffs, no playoff caliber team. The three season of failure belong to Mike Tannenbaum. Lets see, where to start.

Read bolded text. LMFAO.

Jets needs the past three years have been basically the same. O-line depth. Pass rusher. Safety. Tight end. Three seasons have passed and what have we done to correct these weaknesses?

For one, we addressed these weaknesses by ignoring them, dismantling a decent recieving corps

Chansi Stuckey and Jerricho Cotchery?

To be fair, we did get a first round cornerback to contribute in Wilson. And we did address O-line depth by drafting Vladimir Ducasse with a second round pick. Of course they both suck and were not worth their picks. No biggie, I guess.

Wilson is a fine player.

We lose D. Woody. Uh, Oh. Now that O-line is even thinner. We are now starting Slauson and Hunter and have lost Turner in the preseason. Good thing we lost him early enough to replace hime with a veteran backup. Colin Baxter. Who starts at Center when Mangold goes down and we scratch two games right off the bat. Seriously should not have happened. Ducasse doesn't make the field.

We trade mid-season for Caleb Shladeraff.

What's your problem with Slauson, exactly?

On October 7, the Jets made a blockbuster deal with the Cleveland Browns to send Wide Receiver Braylon Edwards to the Jets for Wide Receiver Chansi Stuckey, Linebacker Jason Trusnik, and 2 draft picks.

Niether player is still with this team. Total cost: 4 draft picks and two players. There is way too much of this trading away of picks for me to go on that tangent, but suffice to say, our depth is horrendous due to this very problem. Add to that the waste of picks like Scotty McKnight (when Joe Lefeged-S and Herzlich-LB were stuill available at positions of need) and two picks for Joe McKnight when we already had Woodhead and...you get the picture.

How will we recover from the loss of Chansi Stuckey and Jason Trusnik? SMFH.

Finally...The WR corps. Sanchez had a decent corps in Holmes, B. Smith, Cotchery and Braylon.

No mention that Mike T. created that WR corps, huh?

In fact, he had great relationships with three of those four, who even flew out to LA in the offseason to get better aquainted and work on the playbook and timing. One of those receivers didn't bother to go. The one we kept. The other three were let go for the likes of Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason. A position of strength became a position of need that quick. And down goes Sanchez (who admittedly needs all the help he can get.)

The NFL has a salary cap.

In the end I'm just scratching the surface here. So much more can be said about the retaining of Schottenheimer, lousy drafts, and on and on. Bottom line, Tanny has done a poor job and this team has suffered tremendously for it.

Please, don't. This is enough to hit the "ignore" button.

Read bolded text. LMFAO.

Team had two successful seasons...Tanny had three unsuccessful seasons. Leading to the team having an unsuccessful season ultimately. Pretty clear. Three seasons of bad drafting and poor personnel moves eventually led to a less talented, competitve team. i think you understand the statement. Or perhaps you were just LMFAOing so hard you missed it.

Chansi Stuckey and Jerricho Cotchery?

Cotchery, Edwards, Smith but you knew that already

Wilson is a fine player.

first rounder. plays nickel. but you already knew that too.

What's your problem with Slauson, exactly?

No problem. but the quote was Hunter and Slauson. You can have a slow footed slauson who can't pull of block downfield, or a Wayne Hunter who can run block but is a turnstyle on the edge...just not both at the same time.

How will we recover from the loss of Chansi Stuckey and Jason Trusnik? SMFH.

And the two draft picks we gave up for a player thats no longer on the team. Or did you miss that part? because the loss of draft picks with no long term contributions from those we spent them on was the entire point, SMFH

No mention that Mike T. created that WR corps, huh?

Yep. Didn't mention that he assembled then dissassembled that WR corps within two seasons, leaving just the $50 million dollar man. Didn't mention it because I think it speaks for itself.

The NFL has a salary cap.

Sure does. which is why you draft and develop the cheap players. Draft and develop. There's a novel idea.

Please, don't. This is enough to hit the "ignore" button.

Such indignation! Such vitriol! It's enough to make me say something rude in response. But I don't do that.

Archived