Report: Colts have already decided on Andrew Luck

F.Chowds

No.

I'm only somewhat familiar with your methodolgy, but I know it's nowhere near as sophisticated as FO, who has us above SF. The jets offense was terrible and gave up many points on it's own this season. Even looking at something as simple as drive stats shows us better then SF, we gave up 24.78 yards per drive, just behind Baltimore at 24.62... SF was 7 at 26.41

The problem with the Jets defense has to do with giving up points. In the passing game they gave up 8.46% more TDs per attempt than expected against their schedule. The run defense was around 35% more than expected. Yardage wise they were fine. -9.5% in YPA in the run game and around -14% in the passing game. The 49ers were about equal to the Jets in the pass game in terms of TDs and far better in the run game where they allowed a ridiculous -70% or so per attempt on the ground. Overall the run defense of the 49ers was a bit better overall with a huge edge in big plays allowed, probably meaning that on a per play basis the Jets were better but suffered because they are not as good against the big play. The Jets were much more effective against the pass except for the pass rush where the 49ers were better.

The bottom line in the NFL is preventing points and the Jets fell apart too often in that regard. You cant give up more touchdowns than expected and be considered a good defense. Its not like they faced a ridiculous amount of plays or incredibly horrible field position either. And the ups and downs of the Jets was awful week by week. San Francisco was very consistent until years end when they started to trend down. The Jets would dominate one week and get lit up the next. The variance is off the charts if you go by expectations and actual performance.

The problem with the Jets defense has to do with giving up points. In the passing game they gave up 8.46% more TDs per attempt than expected against their schedule. The run defense was around 35% more than expected. Yardage wise they were fine. -9.5% in YPA in the run game and around -14% in the passing game. The 49ers were about equal to the Jets in the pass game in terms of TDs and far better in the run game where they allowed a ridiculous -70% or so per attempt on the ground. Overall the run defense of the 49ers was a bit better overall with a huge edge in big plays allowed, probably meaning that on a per play basis the Jets were better but suffered because they are not as good against the big play. The Jets were much more effective against the pass except for the pass rush where the 49ers were better.

The bottom line in the NFL is preventing points and the Jets fell apart too often in that regard. You cant give up more touchdowns than expected and be considered a good defense. Its not like they faced a ridiculous amount of plays or incredibly horrible field position either. And the ups and downs of the Jets was awful week by week. San Francisco was very consistent until years end when they started to trend down. The Jets would dominate one week and get lit up the next. The variance is off the charts if you go by expectations and actual performance.

meh, sf had 10 turnovers this year I think.. Sanchez had whatt 25 on his own? It's the same thing with Tebow vs Orton from earlier in the season.. The jets defense was very good this year and they got no help from their offense, SF atleast got a little help from offense

We couldn't beat them when they had nothing. With Manning? We might be fourth place in our own division.

We will rally around being able to beat the Bills. Then Brad Smith will throw 3 TDs against the Jets ruining that chance.

We will rally around being able to beat the Bills. Then Brad Smith will throw 3 TDs against the Jets ruining that chance.

All a$$ kissing aside... I really like this forum for many reasons, one being that the owner is actually able to laugh with us instead of sitting atop his throne looking down. Rare in a forum.

meh, sf had 10 turnovers this year I think.. Sanchez had whatt 25 on his own? It's the same thing with Tebow vs Orton from earlier in the season.. The jets defense was very good this year and they got no help from their offense, SF atleast got a little help from offense

I think the Jets were 23 and the 49ers 7. The Jets only really gave up two gimme TDs. Sanchez got picked against Dallas and they downed him at the 1. In Oakland Cro fumbled at the 13. The other scores that you could point to the offense for were handoffs at the 17 and 39 against Philly and the 28 against the Giants. usually Sanchez was kind enough to just let the opposition score rather than tack it onto the defenses stats.

The 49ers never had a ball inside the 10. Their 3 were 18, 23, and 35 yards. The Jets did have more chances than the 49ers were they held on FGs in those same ranges (whereas SF did not do as well off turnovers) but in terms of adding to the overall performance its basically 2 scores to take off the Jets totals. The other 3 balance out.

The way they gave up points especially in bad spots this year I just never thought of the Jets as a good defense. They dominated in 2009 with far less help from the offense. They screwed up a few times that would be similar to the Denver screwup but those were games being lost 13-10. This year they got beaten up in handful of games this year and this was the first time in Rexs first three years where there were games where they did not look like the more physical team.

All a$$ kissing aside... I really like this forum for many reasons, one being that the owner is actually able to laugh with us instead of sitting atop his throne looking down. Rare in a forum.

Hey thanks I appreciate that. You have to laugh after a season like this one! Unfortunately we know the drill all too well. :)

I think the Jets were 23 and the 49ers 7. The Jets only really gave up two gimme TDs. Sanchez got picked against Dallas and they downed him at the 1. In Oakland Cro fumbled at the 13. The other scores that you could point to the offense for were handoffs at the 17 and 39 against Philly and the 28 against the Giants. usually Sanchez was kind enough to just let the opposition score rather than tack it onto the defenses stats.

The 49ers never had a ball inside the 10. Their 3 were 18, 23, and 35 yards. The Jets did have more chances than the 49ers were they held on FGs in those same ranges (whereas SF did not do as well off turnovers) but in terms of adding to the overall performance its basically 2 scores to take off the Jets totals. The other 3 balance out.

The way they gave up points especially in bad spots this year I just never thought of the Jets as a good defense. They dominated in 2009 with far less help from the offense. They screwed up a few times that would be similar to the Denver screwup but those were games being lost 13-10. This year they got beaten up in handful of games this year and this was the first time in Rexs first three years where there were games where they did not look like the more physical team.

def agree they weren't as good as 2009, but we're comparing to Sf not 2009 jets.. . Remember SF got the crippled Rothlisberger, and shut out Feely w/St louis.. That's 2 compromised QB situations who totaled 3 pts on 2 games, which I'm sure weighed heavily in your PPG rankings. We caught Giants with bradshaw and the eagles during their late season resurgence. I def think our offensive ineptitude weighed heavily on defensive performance this year. I dunno, I'd tend to side with FO here and rate the Jets better.

we'll see next week I guess, but I doubt SF shuts down brees in anyway not typical of his away from home performance this season

def agree they weren't as good as 2009, but we're comparing to Sf not 2009 jets.. . Remember SF got the crippled Rothlisberger, and shut out Feely w/St louis.. That's 2 compromised QB situations who totaled 3 pts on 2 games, which I'm sure weighed heavily in your PPG rankings. I def think our offensive ineptitude weighed heavily on defensive performance this year. I dunno, I'd tend to side with FO here and rate the Jets better.

I agree with you that the team's offensive performance threw the D off a little bit.

My reasoning is probably different from yours, but it's hard to miss that the team's biggest most showcase-y names were at CB (Revis and Cromartie with a 1st round #3) and WR (Holmes and Burress). I think they expected more out of the passing game, and Schotty couldn't design/plan/call well enough forcing the boy to be unable to consistenlty complete his tasks.

Oh that and the running game wasn't as good, and basically everything about the team dropped a level. Mostly/Possibly/Probably because they wanted the 3rd year QB to shine and become a superstar so much that they decided to force the issue. Can not even kill them for trying to force the issue now as there was still hope that the '09 and '10 core was still young enough to carry the team through another run.

Just my dolla dolla billz you all.

Hey thanks I appreciate that. You have to laugh after a season like this one! Unfortunately we know the drill all too well. :)

Its only the truth! Indeed... its laugh or cry, and after being a Jet fan for this long.. the well has run dry. Hey, at least we got next season.. Super Bowl Champs!!!

*whimpers*

Every day that goes by..we are closer and closer to having a HOF QB play for us. AS Namath once said, if Peyton decides to walk and play for another team, I will garantee he is a Jet. Also I can see Sanchez's contract being reworked. Sanchez's ego will take a little hit, but in the end he will be a better QB for it.

I still say he comes to the Jets, I think he'll want the big stage, I think he'd love to play in the same division as Brady, Rex loves him and I think Woody/Tanny will want to make a splash after the way this year ended

He can do that in MIami. ;) And there is no state tax.

I think the 'big stage' thing is overblown. Especially, in the "League". It is not like he is an obscure player playing for the KC Royals, He has been one of the main faces of the league since the late 90s. No one has ever said, "yeah, but he has not done it in a big market".

He can do that in MIami. ;) And there is no state tax.

I think the 'big stage' thing is overblown. Especially, in the "League". It is not like he is an obscure player playing for the KC Royals, He has been one of the main faces of the league since the late 90s. No one has ever said, "yeah, but he has not done it in a big market".

Our model homo QB stinks and has been getting ads since day 1. Manning would've been able to hock everything in NY

Why would Peyton want to share the town with his little brother and play for that loud mouth charlatan Rex Ryan?

If I was Peyton I wouldn't go anywhere near the Jets.

This guy is not coming here. I don't know where the hope is even coning from. He will be the colts starting QB with Luck learning from him. You can't take a chance by dropping a proven veteran who is one of, if not the, best qb in history to see how a first pick qb works out. I know he's been hyped like crazy but its still a toss up.

Why would Peyton want to share the town with his little brother and play for that loud mouth charlatan Rex Ryan?

If I was Peyton I wouldn't go anywhere near the Jets.

Oh please... The only ones I've heard refer to the Jets as a circus are it's own fanbase. The Colts have an inept HC and owner who just fired a multiple GM of the year. Every team has something you can make fun of... our fans just do it louder.

Archived