Jets Players want Peyton

BroadwayJ667

A season torn by discord and dysfunction prompted several key Jets players and members of the organization to paint a sobering picture of Mark Sanchez, a polarizing figure within the franchise’s walls.

They raised serious doubts about his ability to lead the Jets, questioning everything from his practice habits to the organization’s coddling of him to how much of a role he truly played in the team making two consecutive AFC Championship Game appearances.

They also invited the opportunity to replace Sanchez with Peyton Manning.

The consensus among players who spoke to the Daily News was that, at the very least, the Jets must sign a legitimate veteran backup to push their young quarterback.

“We have to bring in another quarterback that will make him work at practice,” said one player. “He’s lazy and content because he knows he’s not going to be benched.”

On Dec. 28, Sanchez said that he was “light years ahead” in areas such as defensive recognition, clock management and understanding of the offensive system. Six days later, general manager Mike Tannenbaum said that Sanchez’s “rate of growth isn’t where it needs to be.”

The doubts crept in long before Sanchez stood in front of his locker on a Wednesday two weeks ago.

The Jets already were in free-fall when he tried to brush aside the undercurrent of a season gone wrong. Four days before Gang Green’s meltdown was complete under the South Florida sun with a 19-17 loss to the Dolphins, a final dagger in a season that began with so much promise and hype, Sanchez insisted that he didn’t need to validate himself as the starting quarterback.

“I’m not out to prove anything like that to people,” Sanchez said four days before the Jets finished out of the playoffs at 8-8. “I just want to work hard for these guys on the team. These guys know I’m leading by example. These are the guys I’m playing for right here in this locker room and in this building.”

Sanchez’s season was a microcosm of his three-year career, a confounding blend of good, bad and ugly. He threw for a career-high 26 touchdowns and committed a career-high 26 turnovers (18 interceptions, 8 lost fumbles). He helped the Jets lead the league in red-zone touchdown efficiency (65.5%) with 21 touchdown passes inside the 20 (fifth best in the NFL). He also committed nine turnovers during the Jets' season-ending three-game slide.

Since entering the league in 2009, Sanchez has thrown for the second-most interceptions (51) and committed the second-most turnovers (63) in the NFL.

His inconsistent play has teammates wondering if the Jets can upgrade. Several players and members of the organization were asked if the Jets should make a play for Peyton Manning if the Colts, who are expected to select Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck with the No. 1 pick in the draft, release him.

“Come on. That’s a no-brainer,” a Jets source said. “If you have a chance to get a healthy 36-year-old Peyton Manning and you don’t do it, then you’re stupid. If I could get a healthy 36-year-old Peyton Manning, then, hell yeah, I would trade Sanchez.”

As I see it now, Mark's days may be numbered. As of the last report about Irsay and Manning's contract it would seem that Peyton may be released before March 28. If that were to happen, expect the Jets to be right in the bidding for Manning. If that happens, maybe Wayne comes with (yes I know his best days are behind him) and Manning imports the offense as Tom Moore pulls the strings from the booth

I like the kid Sanchez and we have an opportunity to see what he has with a new OC now. But as I have always said, if we can get Manning...youi have to do it. I would hope Sanchez would still be on the team, learning from the very best.

GO JETS

I like the kid Sanchez and we have an opportunity to see what he has with a new OC now. But as I have always said, if we can get Manning...youi have to do it. I would hope Sanchez would still be on the team, learning from the very best.

GO JETS

While I share your sentiment to keep Sanchez, it just wouldn't work on so many levels. First Sanchez would bitch to the highest mountain about riding the bench and wanting to be traded. Second in order to afford Manning, you have to dump Sanchez's salary.

Mark will end up in Seattle or Washington

Everyone not in a Patriots, Packers, Saints or Steelers uniform wants Peyton, I would imagine.

But a healthy Peyton.

That doesn't set their franchise back 5 years to acquire.

Hopefully its the Jets that can accomplish acquiring him, without destroying the foundation of the team for the next 5-10 years.

While I share your sentiment to keep Sanchez, it just wouldn't work on so many levels. First Sanchez would bitch to the highest mountain about riding the bench and wanting to be traded. Second in order to afford Manning, you have to dump Sanchez's salary.

Mark will end up in Seattle or Washington

If we have the opportunity to have Manning here, and Sanchez does what you say he would do "bitch and want to be traded" then I would say to him, theres the door.

Everyone not in a Patriots, Packers, Saints or Steelers uniform wants Peyton, I would imagine.

But a healthy Peyton.

Hopefully its the Jets that can accomplish acquiring him, without destroying the foundation of the team for the next 5-10 years.

Well what do you think it would take to acquire him, if the Colts were to not release him. I see a number one and two. But I've said I already think he'll be released so he can choose where he wants to go.

But a healthy Peyton.

But a healthy Peyton.

Exactly and that's the trick...we must find a way to make that happen without destroying us in the process...Tanny can get it done....

Well what do you think it would take to acquire him, if the Colts were to not release him. I see a number one and two. But I've said I already think he'll be released so he can choose where he wants to go.

I'd say it takes 2 number 1's at least to get Manning. Now that seems like a steep price but ask yourself this; would you trade the last 2 first round Jets picks for Peyton Manning? Kyle Wilson and Mo Wilkerson? Yea, me too...

But a healthy Peyton.

If the Colts do release Peyton it will be a very sad day here in Indy. It will look so weird to see him in a uniform other than the Colts.

If the Colts do release Peyton it will be a very sad day here in Indy. It will look so weird to see him in a uniform other than the Colts.

you guys don't NEED him anymore Indy Girl. You will have the next John Elway leading your team and let's face it the 2 #1 picks that you'll be getting will help build the cast you need around Luck..

The story and the notion are ridiculous. Do we need a new QB? Probably, but Peyton Manning is not the guy for this team. We aren't good enough to do more than be a 10 win team with Peyton for the next two years and then dissolve into nothing. We need to rebuild the talent level on this team through the draft rather than trade our precious picks for Peyton Manning. We also have to stop trading picks to move up for that one player we have to have. It has worked for us, but left us thin from a depth standpoint. We need a couple of drafts where we accumulate picks and build for the future.

GO JETS

You have not have enough of this? Shotty sucked but "Come on Man!!"

Since entering the league in 2009, Sanchez has thrown for the second-most interceptions (51) and committed the second-most turnovers (63) in the NFL.

I'd say it takes 2 number 1's at least to get Manning. Now that seems like a steep price but ask yourself this; would you trade the last 2 first round Jets picks for Peyton Manning? Kyle Wilson and Mo Wilkerson? Yea, me too...

Yeah I figured that but I was playing it cautious, because of Oakland giving two ones for Palmer, but I also know that Palmer is not Manning. It's just one of those things that I can't see Indy exercising the option because it activated a three year extension with the obvious 28 mil.

You have not have enough of this? Shotty sucked but "Come on Man!!"

Crush...I would love to have Manning here...I would also like to have Sanchez as his backup. I don't think Sanchez is a bust, maybe I am wrong but with the right guidance he can do the job, just not now.

Yeah I figured that but I was playing it cautious, because of Oakland giving two ones for Palmer, but I also know that Palmer is not Manning. It's just one of those things that I can't see Indy exercising the option because it activated a three year extension with the obvious 28 mil.

Say it did happen; is this the Favre experiment all over again, WITH the same results?

Crush...I would love to have Manning here...I would also like to have Sanchez as his backup. I don't think Sanchez is a bust, maybe I am wrong but with the right guidance he can do the job, just not now.

I just don't see it 2-7...Sanchez has become the guy who is more concerned with watching the pass rush coming at him than the plays developing downfield-that's a really hard bad habit to break-I think he's already broken, AND unfixable

I know and understand that the Colts have to rebuild, even a healthy Manning only has a few more years at best. Regardless of when and how he leaves the Colt's it will still be very sad for us fans.

Oh absolutely, we old Jets fans had to watch Joe Namath in a Rams uniform-nature of the beast that is the NFL

If we get back to the old philosophy of ground and pound to set up the play action along with stellar defense combine with excellent special team I say he may be somewhat almost in a stretch serviceable. But I think we can be that much better with a QB who can command respect from his team and the opposing team. Be a long time before Sanchez scares anyone unless they have a wayward 17 year old daughter.

I just don't see it 2-7...Sanchez has become the guy who is more concerned with watching the pass rush coming at him than the plays developing downfield-that's a really hard bad habit to break-I think he's already broken, AND unfixable

Jimmy and Crusher sitting in a tree watching Sanchez cut and singing WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!*

*note: Yes, it's a very big tree

If this is the consensus, then we need to go full bore for a proven-winning QB. Be it Manning or Brees.

If we get back to the old philosophy of ground and pound to set up the play action along with stellar defense combine with excellent special team I say he may be somewhat almost in a stretch serviceable. But I think we can be that much better with a QB who can command respect from his team and the opposing team. Be a long time before Sanchez scares anyone unless they have a wayward 17 year old daughter.

Too funny....but really if the consensus is the guy is done as the Jets QB...we must go full bore for a proven winner i.e. Manning or Brees!

The story and the notion are ridiculous. Do we need a new QB? Probably, but Peyton Manning is not the guy for this team. We aren't good enough to do more than be a 10 win team with Peyton for the next two years and then dissolve into nothing. We need to rebuild the talent level on this team through the draft rather than trade our precious picks for Peyton Manning. We also have to stop trading picks to move up for that one player we have to have. It has worked for us, but left us thin from a depth standpoint. We need a couple of drafts where we accumulate picks and build for the future.

Well said... Manning has had three neck surgeries, personally I would not consider him healthy.

Quite frankly this team as consituted is not good enough to expend that many picks for one player. If this was the 2010 team, that team I believe truly was a QB away, maybe i would say ok but this team needs far more help than one QB can provide.

Archived