Jets expected to simplify playbook for Sanchez

dolphann4life

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/12/jets-expected-to-simplify-playbook-for-sanchez/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 12, 2012, 10:53 AM EST

m-sanchezgrimace.jpg?w=250

AP

Mark Sanchez isn’t going to respond to the latest barrage of attacks against him. A Jets spokesmen told ESPNNewYork.com that Sanchez doesn’t comment on anonymous sources.

What Sanchez says publicly doesn’t matter. He needs to show he can play, and he won’t be able to do that for a while.

Rich Cimini writes about the challenges Sanchez will face in the locker room and thedirection of the team’s offense. New offensive coordinator Tony Sparano emphasizes power running and max protection.

“Look for Sparano to scale back the playbook. Schottenheimer ran a high-volume offense and it overwhelmed Sanchez at times,” Cimini writes. “Sanchez also needs a quarterback coach who can help him better understand pass coverages. Too often he doesn’t know how to react when his first read is covered.”

Well, there you go. Schottenheimer sure seemed to try to simplify things for Sanchez; all they threw were slants. The team showed how little they trusted Sanchez with their playcalling. When they did trust him, it didn’t go well.

Sparano seems likely to make the Jets offense even more conservative. That may be an attractive approach to Rex Ryan and it may even be the best idea for Sanchez. They can coach around him like they do with Alex Smith in San Francisco.

The problem with this idea: Tony Sparano is no Jim Harbaugh and this approach isn’t going to turn the No. 5 overall pick of the 2009 draft into a difference maker.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schottenheimer ran a high-volume offense and it overwhelmed Sanchez at times.“Sanchez also needs a quarterback coach who can help him better understand pass coverages. Too often he doesn’t know how to react when his first read is covered.

YAH BUT ITS THE RECEIVERS FAULT

YAH BUT ITS THE RECEIVERS FAULT

I didnt know Greg Rosenthal was an NFL coach . Because this guy assumes the playbook will be scaled down it must be so... Shut down the boards and stop the presses Greg Rosenthal has just figured out Mark Sanchez and the Jets nothing else to see here.

The worst part of this is they already tried that and it didn't work. The whole silly colors thing.

The whole silly colors thing was an embarressment to a young QB trying to move forward whith his idiot coach trying to limit mistakes. That whole senario should have been kept in house. I have no problem with Rex trying to help but I do have a problem with him broadcasting it to the entire sports world leaving the impression his QB is an Idiot.

When it comes down to simplifying the play book some coaches get a little to elaborate with their schemes and it becomes a burden for even the best QB's in the league. If you notice some of the better teams run a lot of the same plays over and over but defenses still have a hard time stopping them because talent wins games if you execute. Over complicated offenses should not cause you to look down at the QB they are just OC's trying to incorporate too much into an offense expecting the QB to retain it all.

When the Jets were known for the running game 2 years ago EVERYONE knew what was comming yet the Jets still imposed their will on teams. their are only so many running plays you can call so the plan in itself was pretty simple with a few wrinkles and the wildcat mixed in. Nothing fancy not much for the team to have to retain play wise just smash the ball down their throats and know your blocking assignments.

Favre is lauded for telling Schotty his playbook is too complicated but Sanchez gets ripped when they say they're going to scale it back.

You guys.. so cute with your whining.

This is becuase your arguing with people who dont understand the game. Most if it is about talent and execution like I said some of the better teams run a simple playbook and dare you to stop them and probably only design a few plays here and there to adjust to an upcomming opponent. I think this is what hurt Shotty he tried to get to fancy at times rather than having his team grasp the simple things.

This is becuase your arguing with people who dont understand the game. Most if it is about talent and execution like I said some of the better teams run a simple playbook and dare you to stop them and probably only design a few plays here and there to adjust to an upcomming opponent. I think this is what hurt Shotty he tried to get to fancy at times rather than having his team grasp the simple things.

That is, except when you're endlessly defending Sanchez and Pennington...

That is, except when you're endlessly defending Sanchez and Pennington...

Like I have said 100 times its not all about the QB . I know that Sanchez has not played well I just think there are a lot of contributing factors. We have a new OC now and hopefully we add some decent skill players, thats all we can ask for. If in the next few years Sanchez cant produce I would have no problem bringing in someone who can. I think giving up on him when so many feel Shott was a problem is not fair to the kid. We all know there are issues on this offense that need correcting and we all know their are players who need replacing.

http://profootballta...ok-for-sanchez/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 12, 2012, 10:53 AM EST

m-sanchezgrimace.jpg?w=250

AP

Mark Sanchez isn’t going to respond to the latest barrage of attacks against him. A Jets spokesmen told ESPNNewYork.com that Sanchez doesn’t comment on anonymous sources.

What Sanchez says publicly doesn’t matter. He needs to show he can play, and he won’t be able to do that for a while.

Rich Cimini writes about the challenges Sanchez will face in the locker room and thedirection of the team’s offense. New offensive coordinator Tony Sparano emphasizes power running and max protection.

“Look for Sparano to scale back the playbook. Schottenheimer ran a high-volume offense and it overwhelmed Sanchez at times,” Cimini writes. “Sanchez also needs a quarterback coach who can help him better understand pass coverages. Too often he doesn’t know how to react when his first read is covered.”

Well, there you go. Schottenheimer sure seemed to try to simplify things for Sanchez; all they threw were slants. The team showed how little they trusted Sanchez with their playcalling. When they did trust him, it didn’t go well.

Sparano seems likely to make the Jets offense even more conservative. That may be an attractive approach to Rex Ryan and it may even be the best idea for Sanchez. They can coach around him like they do with Alex Smith in San Francisco.

The problem with this idea: Tony Sparano is no Jim Harbaugh and this approach isn’t going to turn the No. 5 overall pick of the 2009 draft into a difference maker.

It never ceases to amaze me that many of the guys hired to be QB coaches were POS QBs themselves when they played. How exactly can a bench QB relate to what is happening in a real game? So many of these guys never really play.

It never ceases to amaze me that many of the guys hired to be QB coaches were POS QBs themselves when they played. How exactly can a bench QB relate to what is happening in a real game? So many of these guys never really play.

yep pretty funny. Maybe some of the bench warmers still need a payday and cant get the gigs like the big money QB's in the broadcast booth .

Exactly, Schotty had SOME success with this whole "smoke and mirrors" complicated offense with Pennington in 2006 when the Jets offensive talent was putrid, Penny liked it cause it hid his physical limabilitys and he is a genius and can pick up anything so it didn't bother him, the problem is this sh*t only works against stupid defenses. Belicheck has beaten down the Jets offense run by Schotty year after year with college level talent which shows it was flawed. It's no surprise to me that the year Favre was here he laughed at the playbook had him scrap the "smoke and mirrors" and the Jets offense had it's best year under Schotty, and was humming up into the Favre injury.

Most play books are dumb downed NFL offenses have a handful of run and pass plays they use EVERY week, and every week you throw in wrinkle plays to attack that perticular weeks opponent, all these wrinkle plays are practiced here and there threw out the season, and then run multiple times during practice during the week it's installed into the game plan.

All elite QB's have a WR that they have a connection with, they just make a suttle gesture to each other and the play is thrown out and they hook up with the play based on what they both saw pre snap. This happens every 3rd and short with Brady and Welker, it's the reason why they line up 5 wide, the defense is easiest to read when your spread out that way, and Beli trusts Tom and Wes to make the right adjustment on the route, does it work EVERY time no, but it works way above the league average.

Here lies the next problem if Sanchez can't read a defense, then you need to get a coach in here who can teach him (obviously Schotty can't either or he would gave adjusted his plays in game which he never did) and if he can't be taught then he has to go plain and simple.

This article is just more media look at me headlines, it's what sells right now so expect more of it.

Exactly, Schotty had SOME success with this whole "smoke and mirrors" complicated offense with Pennington in 2006 when the Jets offensive talent was putrid, Penny liked it cause it hid his physical limabilitys and he is a genius and can pick up anything so it didn't bother him, the problem is this sh*t only works against stupid defenses. Belicheck has beaten down the Jets offense run by Schotty year after year with college level talent which shows it was flawed. It's no surprise to me that the year Favre was here he laughed at the playbook had him scrap the "smoke and mirrors" and the Jets offense had it's best year under Schotty, and was humming up into the Favre injury.

Most play books are dumb downed NFL offenses have a handful of run and pass plays they use EVERY week, and every week you throw in wrinkle plays to attack that perticular weeks opponent, all these wrinkle plays are practiced here and there threw out the season, and then run multiple times during practice during the week it's installed into the game plan.

All elite QB's have a WR that they have a connection with, they just make a suttle gesture to each other and the play is thrown out and they hook up with the play based on what they both saw pre snap. This happens every 3rd and short with Brady and Welker, it's the reason why they line up 5 wide, the defense is easiest to read when your spread out that way, and Beli trusts Tom and Wes to make the right adjustment on the route, does it work EVERY time no, but it works way above the league average.

Here lies the next problem if Sanchez can't read a defense, then you need to get a coach in here who can teach him (obviously Schotty can't either or he would gave adjusted his plays in game which he never did) and if he can't be taught then he has to go plain and simple.

This article is just more media look at me headlines, it's what sells right now so expect more of it.

Another thing is being together with that same "go to" WR year after year. The QB/WR relationship grows over a period of time not by dragging different guys in here every year. How many times did we see the WR and QB NOT on the same page this year ? Was every single time Sanchez Fault ? or were new players having issues grasping a complicated playbook as well ? No telling what stupidity was going on behind closed doors but when you see players having the issues we saw at some point you need to take notice and fix it. Plax came in with little time to get used to Sanchez and vice versa yet he was in on damn near every down early in the season why not ease him in ?

Archived