Jason423 made Football Outsiders

CTM

Congrats Jason, you do great work, and give us some great info on a lot of things we ask, by far more useful then any jets beat writer, your facts are greatly appreciated, very well deserved. Don't forget the little people (jetnation) when you get your deserved break.

Thanks guys. I was surprised they picked it up and it was really only because Brian Bassett suggested it to them to check it out (so thanks Brian). This was something I toyed with for awhile (even discussed it in one of the threads here) and ended up going with the 4 point matrix based on a suggestion RJF had. Im still not sure where the perception comes from that I dislike FO. They do interesting stuff some of which I think is more valid that other things they do. I dont consider them or anyone else some definitive valuation of a player or a team. I think anyone that reads through my site knows I put a bunch of stuff into numbers of some sort usually to do contract analysis and sometimes just to complain about the Jets.

Thanks guys. I was surprised they picked it up and it was really only because Brian Bassett suggested it to them to check it out (so thanks Brian). This was something I toyed with for awhile (even discussed it in one of the threads here) and ended up going with the 4 point matrix based on a suggestion RJF had. Im still not sure where the perception comes from that I dislike FO. They do interesting stuff some of which I think is more valid that other things they do. I dont consider them or anyone else some definitive valuation of a player or a team. I think anyone that reads through my site knows I put a bunch of stuff into numbers of some sort usually to do contract analysis and sometimes just to complain about the Jets.

I don't think anyone other then Aten thinks that... fwiw..

Good article.. Do you have the weighted chart available? I'm interested to see what the differences are, as I'd agree the most current season should be weighted the highest

I don't think anyone other then Aten thinks that... fwiw..

Good article.. Do you have the weighted chart available? I'm interested to see what the differences are, as I'd agree the most current season should be weighted the highest

I never actually did it, but I could probably do the weighted averages pretty easily for the three main ones. Id have to figure out a way how to score the two year guys (Bradford, McCoy, Favre and Garrard) too. Maybe Id just pull the two retired guys and give the two year rookies something like a 65/35 split. Injured guys I would need to find a way to do as well. The way I calculated the playing time I would have to go back and redo my spreadsheets to do them by year rather than just aggregate totals. Thats really the time consuming step. Just quickly going through the DVOA, PFF, and QBR Romo would be in the top 5 because he played so well this year. Stafford would probably rank around 20. Sanchez would stay pretty much right where he is.

I never actually did it, but I could probably do the weighted averages pretty easily for the three main ones. Id have to figure out a way how to score the two year guys (Bradford, McCoy, Favre and Garrard) too. Maybe Id just pull the two retired guys and give the two year rookies something like a 65/35 split. Injured guys I would need to find a way to do as well. The way I calculated the playing time I would have to go back and redo my spreadsheets to do them by year rather than just aggregate totals. Thats really the time consuming step. Just quickly going through the DVOA, PFF, and QBR Romo would be in the top 5 because he played so well this year. Stafford would probably rank around 20. Sanchez would stay pretty much right where he is.

I think it's of interest even if you leave the guys out that weren't in the league three years. 'm curious to see how Stafford's values climbs, in particular

I think it's of interest even if you leave the guys out that weren't in the league three years. 'm curious to see how Stafford's values climbs, in particular

If I get an opportunity to do it in the next few days Ill repost it here. Hed probably be around where Cutler is now, except cheaper. His value would skyrocket, even under a weighed system with one more year to get rid of the disaster rookie season and put limited weight on his injured year, provided of course he plays well again and doesnt get injured.

No citation for any of this sh*t? I'm hurt.

If its any consolation I did mention you in the post above :) Seriously though when we discused this months ago here, had you not suggested trying all of these I may have just left it as V1 on my harddrive and never written it up since I wasnt crazy with the results using the two stats I had. Or I would have just published as is and not been happy with it. Either way I wouldnt have gotten the free pub on FO. Of course that also made me go and spend $30 bucks for PFF...

If its any consolation I did mention you in the post above :) Seriously though when we discused this months ago here, had you not suggested trying all of these I may have just left it as V1 on my harddrive and never written it up since I wasnt crazy with the results using the two stats I had. Or I would have just published as is and not been happy with it. Either way I wouldnt have gotten the free pub on FO. Of course that also made me go and spend $30 bucks for PFF...

Funny part is that I was actually emailing with the dude for a few days trying to swing a free temp membership for the study after we were talking about that.

Congrats Jason! Very well deserved. Jason and this other dude, CBNY are the two I've always considered top notch with insight and perspective related to Jets/Cap/Draft.

So Aten, was he banned? I'm not sure but my recollection of Aten post's are, super smart dude who could awe the crowd with a big word no layman has ever heard before. But then he sorta went of the deep end and uncharacteristically started shouting obscenities at what he considered the unjust. So is Aten really like the poor man's Robin Hood of JN.

Congrats Jason! Very well deserved. Jason and this other dude, CBNY are the two I've always considered top notch with insight and perspective related to Jets/Cap/Draft.

So Aten, was he banned? I'm not sure but my recollection of Aten post's are, super smart dude who could awe the crowd with a big word no layman has ever heard before. But then he sorta went of the deep end and uncharacteristically started shouting obscenities at what he considered the unjust. So is Aten really like the poor man's Robin Hood of JN.

Aten was the leader of the intelligentsia, with Dbatesman as his second, RJF an apprentice and ThumSHane as his groupie..

Ok I just updated the listing for weighted scores with 2011 getting the most and 2009 the least.. What I did was the 50/35/15 split. For players who missed seasons I changed the ratios to: 0/70/30 (Manning, Favre, etc...), 76.9/0/23.1 (Stafford, M. Moore), and 58.8/41.2/0 (Bradford, McCoy). For playing time the split was 50/30/15 regardless, so Manning gets a 0 for 2011 rather than not using it in the calculation. It does give more points to a 2011 star who missed a prior year such as Stafford, but it also hurts him in 2009 as his scores from them were poor. Between that and the weight to the playing time I think it balances out ok. Either way for a quick run through I think its fine.

Here is the new list:

Aaron Rodgers 242.7127 Drew Brees 231.7032 Tom Brady 225.2312 Phillip Rivers 202.6957 Ben Roethlisberger 182.4308 Matt Ryan 181.7483 Eli Manig 175.6206 Matt Schaub 170.5777 Tony Romo 169.7021 Peyton Manning 165.3145 Joe Flacco 140.5106 David Garrard 134.3337 Carson Palmer 130.8042 Mike Vick 127.427 Alex Smith 123.5535 Matt Stafford 121.7227 Matt Moore 120.9205 Jay Cutler 117.81 Vince Young 115.0449 Josh Freeman 113.0883 Brett Favre 111.2097 Kyle Orton 110.9328 Matt Hasselbeck 110.8866 Ryan Fitzpatrick 107.7824 Jason Campbell 107.3561 Donovan McNabb 98.21135 Chad Henne 94.20263 Mark Sanchez 91.09793 Matt Cassel 90.62068 Colt McCoy 86.90892 Sam Bradford 85.24539 Shaun Hill 81.66019 Kerry Collins 66.50629 Kevin Kolb 54.74352 Bruce Gradkowski 43.05 Derek Anderson 13.3042

The real big jump was Stafford who went from ranking 31/36 to 16/36. Hed still be overpaid, but far better value than Cutler, Vick, etc...Favre fell the most in terms of rankings since he was so bad in 2010. Sanchez actually rose slightly, which is mainly due to less weight being given to his first season specifically in QBR and % of team yards. He didnt even account for 50% of the teams yards in 2009. Last year he was around 70% because the run game was so brutal. Still he remains in the same tier as guys like Shaun Hill, Colt McCoy and Matt Cassel.

Id say it also hammers home the fact that with Manning out of the league there is a Big 3 with Rivers just on the outside looking in. Romo through Roethlisberger (5 thru 9) is pretty interchangeable and could probably move around alot in the next year or 2. Its a major drop outside the top 10, which pretty much coincides with my belief that the league has a good deal of high end QBs right now and then a bunch of garbage filling out the rest of the NFL. Also I dont care much for David Garrard but Im not sure how the guy is not in the NFL. I get that he wasnt the leader they wanted in Jacksonville but there is really no reason for him to be out of the NFL unless he looked that bad in camp.

Archived