Schefter suggests Peyton wants no business with the Jets

BroadwayJ667

OH NO NO NO you didnt just compare Asstonio to another possible HOF like CTM tried to compare him to Harrison OMG please say you didnt

Meanwhile you compare Sanchez to every HOF QB who "struggled" during their 3rd season.

Too much you are Smash. Too much.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harrison >>>>> Holmes > Wayne

I doubt Wayne makes the HOF. This is all moot anyways. The job of the QB is to make his receivers better, not the other way around. Holmes was productive in Pittsburgh with Big Ben, but hasn't been here. Wonder why.

He had one good year out of 4 in Pittsburgh and he was inconsistent and most likely a locker room cancer .

Have you ever bothered to look at Reggie Waynes numbers ? I mean the HOF is all about numbers and hes already eclipsed the numbers of recent inducties like Micheal irvin so how does he not get to the HOF ? Im not going to discuss Holmes in respect to even the top 25 WR's in this league the guy is a Joke not because hes not talented but because hes an idiot who is probably his own worst enemy.

He had one good year out of 4 in Pittsburgh and he was inconsistent and most likely a locker room cancer .

Have you ever bothered to look at Reggie Waynes numbers ? I mean the HOF is all about numbers and hes already eclipsed the numbers of recent inducties like Micheal irvin so how does he not get to the HOF ? Im not going to discuss Holmes in respect to even the top 25 WR's in this league the guy is a Joke not because hes not talented but because hes an idiot who is probably his own worst enemy.

Have you ever bothered to think that maybe those numbers are inflated by playing with what may very well be the goat at qb?

Meanwhile you compare Sanchez to every HOF QB who "struggled" during their 3rd season.

Too much you are Smash. Too much.

hey dumb a$$ ....The only reason I made the comparison was to show how QB's can improve on their early years .... if your stupid enough to think I said that Sanchez was better than HOF QB's or Comparable then please stop ok because I never said that and I challenge you to find one post where I did. now please stop

Have you ever bothered to think that maybe those numbers are inflated by playing with what may very well be the goat at qb?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Pats will win the Super Bowl, and I don't think any source, FO included, will say they are favorites once that game comes around, barring a Giants or 49ers appearance. That said, the fact that I think it is reasonable to say that they are far more likely to be in that game than any other single team is enough to offset the fact that they're less likely to win that game once there. Packers and NO are a riskier bet to make right now simply because there's a better chance (compared to the Pats) they never even get there.

I guarantee the Chowd-sucking FO would have the Pats favored over the Saints and Pack.

FO had the 2010 Pats rated as one of the best teams of ALL TIME. Yes, even with that awful defense. All time. They're complete Patophiles.

I guarantee the Chowd-sucking FO would have the Pats favored over the Saints and Pack.

FO had the 2010 Pats rated as one of the best teams of ALL TIME. Yes, even with that awful defense. All time. They're complete Patophiles.

I would be interested to see if the Pats play one of those teams in the SB what the odds would be on that site.

hey dumb a$$ ....The only reason I made the comparison was to show how QB's can improve on their early years .... if your stupid enough to think I said that Sanchez was better than HOF QB's or Comparable then please stop ok because I never said that and I challenge you to find one post where I did. now please stop

Your insults hurt my feelings Smash.

Sanchez >>>> Manning - you said so and you are the self proclaimed most knowledgable poster on the board. I actually wonder why you bother with us simpletons. Isnt there like an advanced message board for people with as much wisdom as you on the game?

They're ranked 4th in dvoa and certainly wouldn't be favored , in fact the Denver upset over Pitts is the only reason they are favored now. Last week gb was the favorite ...

Your insults hurt my feelings Smash.

Sanchez >>>> Manning - you said so and you are the self proclaimed most knowledgable poster on the board. I actually wonder why you bother with us simpletons. Isnt there like an advanced message board for people with as much wisdom as you on the game?

Why do you torment me JIF LOL

BG & Chan, let me ask you two this:

If it's Pack vs. Saints and Pats vs. Ravens, who do you think Chowd-sucking FO will have listed as favorite to win the SB?

Wouldn't you think that with the Pack and Saints both being favored over the Pats by Vegas, that the Path argument becomes irrelevant to the SB winner odds? In other words, an NFC team with better odds than the Pats are going to make it there anyway.

Stepping in with a week of preperation probably the same outcome. But thats too much for you to wrap your little brain around.

I think the world would be a better place if we all came together in harmony and rejoinced in the butterflies wings gently stroking the air around us!

I want Peyton. Real simple, great shot at title. Even if we dont get him, I have to sa that we need to get a Big, Big armed QB!! Year after year, we keep getting the SAME DUDE!!! Little, weak arm, plenty of work ethic, lots of " I'll do better" next game! The most fun I can remember was , not only Vinnie's 98 season, but we just were better than the teams we played...sans the championship game of course. The excitement of the next year was off the charts, then the injury, so deflateing that was. My point is that we need to stop farting around with these puny, weak-armed dudes with post-game muscles, and go get a big Real QB like,Vinny. Year after year we get the SAME DUDE!!!!! Pennington, O'Donnell, Rick Mirer, Sanchez, Ray Lucas, justn change jersey numbers...Same dude! WAKE UP!!! This crap we do DOES NOT WORK!!!!..............Sell the Farm, Get Peyton...Pleeeeeeze!!!! Go Jets!!! :box:

BG & Chan, let me ask you two this:

If it's Pack vs. Saints and Pats vs. Ravens, who do you think Chowd-sucking FO will have listed as favorite to win the SB?

Wouldn't you think that with the Pack and Saints both being favored over the Pats by Vegas, that the Path argument becomes irrelevant to the SB winner odds? In other words, an NFC team with better odds than the Pats are going to make it there anyway.

That one will be close.. They'd have NE as third best and Baltimore at 4, but ne is home.. Gb is top team but NO is top in weighted dvoa... NE would still be favored more to get there, but maybe not enough to overcome being dogs to either no or gb... It would probably come down to how well each team plays this round but given how close GB and NE are now , I'd bet GB would be slightly better odds

Stepping in with a week of preperation probably the same outcome. But thats too much for you to wrap your little brain around.

You drive me into the corner of my room in tears with your insults.

Give him the whole offseason, that team wins 6 games tops.

That one will be close.. They'd have NE as third best and Baltimore at 4, but ne is home.. Gb is top team but NO is top in weighted dvoa... NE would still be favored more to get there, but maybe not enough to overcome being dogs to either no or gb... It would probably come down to how well each team plays this round but given how close GB and NE are now , I'd bet GB would be slightly better odds

Exactly, it'd pretty much come down to whether the better odds NE had to win their championship game (which they absolutely would), would be enough to offset the odds against them in the Super Bowl. It would definitely be close.

Chan we can go round and round on this, Manning would make some difference of course but hes not god and if we pay him 25 mil how do you expect we will sign other players to fill the holes (safety) we have and the ones that are looming like at LB ? Oh I forgot Manning makes LB's and Safetys Better :rolleyes:

This team is not built to protect Peyton Manning and even if we change the entire offensive scheme there are going to be some severe growing pains along with those changes. Remember Manning has worked his offense with a lot of the same guys at key positions for years they are on the same page and can probably run that offense in their sleep with Manning at the helm. Now you want Manning to come here and work with guys like Santonio Holmes and Dustin Keller and no blocking TE's will we be able to even sign Plaxico or will the Great Manning convince him to stay for free ? Whos going to be his pass receiving RB ? Joe McKnight ? Whos going to make the tough catches over the middle like Dallas Clark ? Keller ???? If Manning comes here he will get blitzed to death and probably killed in the process it will probably end his career.

Will we have to cut players and not replace them just to sign Manning ? so we're 9 mil under the cap lets say we sign Manning and Dump Sanchez that leaves us 19 Mil under is 19 mil enough to pay Peyton ? explain to me how this happens ?

You might be right, but Peyton had no problem throwing to Collie, and Garcon immediately the produced big things the first year they were used. Also Tom Moore would have to be a package deal with Peyton. This would lead to Rex, Peyton, Moore, Tanny, and Sporano sitting down for about 10 seconds, Rex: Tom Peyton here is the situation build the offense I'll take care of the D, see u in the Super Bowl, Tom, and Peyton, to Sparano, send in a run and a pass play, Peyton will decide what to do based on defense got it, ok now go teach those OL and RB's and get the hell out (of course a little nicer) me and Peyton got work to do, we will let you know what's what later,

Chan we can go round and round on this, Manning would make some difference of course but hes not god and if we pay him 25 mil how do you expect we will sign other players to fill the holes (safety) we have and the ones that are looming like at LB ? Oh I forgot Manning makes LB's and Safetys Better :rolleyes:

This team is not built to protect Peyton Manning and even if we change the entire offensive scheme there are going to be some severe growing pains along with those changes. Remember Manning has worked his offense with a lot of the same guys at key positions for years they are on the same page and can probably run that offense in their sleep with Manning at the helm. Now you want Manning to come here and work with guys like Santonio Holmes and Dustin Keller and no blocking TE's will we be able to even sign Plaxico or will the Great Manning convince him to stay for free ? Whos going to be his pass receiving RB ? Joe McKnight ? Whos going to make the tough catches over the middle like Dallas Clark ? Keller ???? If Manning comes here he will get blitzed to death and probably killed in the process it will probably end his career.

Will we have to cut players and not replace them just to sign Manning ? so we're 9 mil under the cap lets say we sign Manning and Dump Sanchez that leaves us 19 Mil under is 19 mil enough to pay Peyton ? explain to me how this happens ?

You might be right, but Peyton had no problem throwing to Collie, and Garcon immediately the produced big things the first year they were used. Also Tom Moore would have to be a package deal with Peyton. This would lead to Rex, Peyton, Moore, Tanny, and Sporano sitting down for about 10 seconds, Rex: Tom Peyton here is the situation build the offense I'll take care of the D, see u in the Super Bowl, Tom, and Peyton, to Sparano, send in a run and a pass play, Peyton will decide what to do based on defense got it, ok now go teach those OL and RB's and get the hell out (of course a little nicer) me and Peyton got work to do, we will let you know what's what later,

You might be right, but Peyton had no problem throwing to Collie, and Garcon immediately the produced big things the first year they were used. Also Tom Moore would have to be a package deal with Peyton. This would lead to Rex, Peyton, Moore, Tanny, and Sporano sitting down for about 10 seconds, Rex: Tom Peyton here is the situation build the offense I'll take care of the D, see u in the Super Bowl, exit Rex. Tom, and Peyton, to Sparano, send in a run and a pass play, Peyton will decide what to do based on defense got it, ok now go teach those OL and RB's and get the hell out (of course a little nicer) me and Peyton got work to do, we will let you know what's what later, Tony nods, and him and Tanny exit, and you hear a little whisper from Tanny, wish I understood what's going on.

Here is the real question guys...would the Jets have been 2-14 or 3-13 without Sanchez? Like the Colts without Manning?

The answer is NO.

No, but the Colts O coached by colts staff, and the Jets D coached by Jets staff, would have won 6-8 games. And the Jets 0 coached by Jets staff with Sanchez, with the Colts D coached by Colts staff, would have won 2-4 games.

Peyton would play here. He could win a Super Bowl with this defense.

Only reason he wouldn't play here if he is available would be because he wouldn't want to step on Eli's toes, by stealing back pages, and essentially Eli's thunder, this could pose a threat to Eli by putting him deeper in his shadow. The Manning family is very tight I don't think any of them would do anything to another member of the family that could have a negative affect on the other.

I think the financial gains through endorsements by having both in NY could put Eli on board and actually lobby for him in NY, that's the only way I can see Peyton coming here is with Eli's blessing.

Not the best way of putting it I know my brain is in a cloud right now, but I think you can get the gist of it.

ESPN Insider: Peyton Manning won't fix the Jets

Peyton Manning won't fix the Jets

The Colts quarterback won't solve the biggest issue facing the Jets offense

By KC Joyner

ESPN Insider

One of the most important elements in Apple's turnaround in the late 1990s was Steve Jobs' superb insight in determining which direction the company should choose to move forward.

At the time he took the company over, Apple had dozens of product versions that were not easily differentiated. Jobs knew that deciding what not to do was just as important as deciding what to do. He realized his approach had to change. He replaced the crowded product line with a simple four-tiered model that required eliminating a large number of computer lines, but the resulting simplicity was invaluable in helping the company focus on its core goals.

The decision-makers in the New York Jets hierarchy would do well to mimic this approach if they are truly serious about pursuing Peyton Manning to take over as their quarterback in 2012.

A move such as this might sound to at least one unnamed player as a surefire recipe to reach the Super Bowl, but there is overwhelming evidence suggesting that this would be the wrong move for the Jets to make.

It all starts by understanding what the Jets' real problems are on offense. A lot has been made about their lack of leadership, and while there looks to be more than a bit of truth in that, the biggest issue with Gang Green's offense is its lack of talent in the receiving corps.

In 2010, New York had a true vertical wide receiver in Braylon Edwards. His 12.7 vertical yards per attempt mark (a metric that measures productivity on passes thrown 11 or more yards downfield) ranked 19th in the league.

His ability to stretch the field also worked wonders for opening the passing game up for New York's other wideouts. For proof, check out the number of receptions of 20 or more yards and 40 or more yards for New York's top receivers in 2010:

• Edwards -- Fourteen plays of 20 or more yards, five plays of 40 or more yards.

• Santonio Holmes -- Eleven plays of 20 or more yards, three plays of 40 or more yards.

• Dustin Keller -- Eleven plays of 20 or more yards, two plays of 40 or more yards.

These performances led to Mark Sanchez having 43 plays of 20 or more yards (a total that ranked tied for 12th in the league) and 10 plays of 40 or more yards (tied for fifth).

Now fast-forward to the Jets' totals in those categories in 2011, a season in which the Jets entrusted their vertical pass receiver spot to the aging Plaxico Burress:

• Burress -- Six plays of 20 or more yards, zero plays of 40 or more yards.

• Holmes -- Eight plays of 20 or more yards, zero plays of 40 or more yards.

• Keller -- Twelve plays of 20 or more yards, one play of 40 or more yards.

These declines resulted in Sanchez's drop-off to only 39 plays of 20 or more yards in 2011, which is more of a significant decrease than the raw numbers show, considering that this was a record-setting passing year across the league. His mark in that category ranked 20th in the league, and his two passes of 40 or more yards ranked dead last.

That Burress wasn't up to this role shouldn't have come as a surprise if one looks at his historical metrics. In his last full season (2007 with the New York Giants), Burress gained only 7.9 YPA on vertical passes.

To put that YPA total into perspective, consider that it ranked 63rd out of 69 qualifying wide receivers that season. In other words, if Burress wasn't a dominant downfield threat then, why would anyone think he could be one today, at 34 years old, after everything that happened to him since then?

If Manning were in his prime, he might be able to work around some of these weaknesses, but just as was the case with Burress, there are multiple signs that Manning's productivity is declining.

In the 2010 season, Manning posted a 9.7 vertical YPA and a 10.7 stretch vertical YPA (stretch vertical being passes thrown 20 or more yards downfield). Both totals were worse than what Sanchez posted that year, and that was with a Colts receiving corps that was much better than the receiving corps the Jets fielded in 2011. It was also before Manning had two more neck surgeries and Holmes went through an implosion as team captain.

The only way Manning could significantly help the Jets is if New York could assure Manning a dramatic improvement in receiving personnel. It will be quite difficult to achieve this goal via the draft, since the Jets won't be in a position to acquire former Oklahoma State wideout Justin Blackmon. Blackmon is, in the eyes of most scouts, the only wide receiver candidate in the draft who looks to have A.J. Green/Julio Jones impact ability from day one.

That leaves leave free agency as the only option for an upgrade. This year's free agent wide receiver crop looks as if it will include Vincent Jackson, DeSean Jackson and Dwayne Bowe, among others, but since New York already invested big money into Holmes' contract last year and would have to find a way to fit Manning's contract under its salary cap, one has to wonder if breaking the bank for a big name wideout would be feasible for the Jets.

Without that kind of upgrade, it would difficult for even the most talented quarterback in the league to turn this offense into a powerhouse. Since Manning looks to have lost that title, it makes the proposition of his joining the Jets one that simply doesn't guarantee an upgrade.

By KC Joyner

ESPN Insider

One of the most important elements in Apple's turnaround in the late 1990s was Steve Jobs' superb insight in determining which direction the company should choose to move forward.

At the time he took the company over, Apple had dozens of product versions that were not easily differentiated. Jobs knew that deciding what not to do was just as important as deciding what to do. He realized his approach had to change. He replaced the crowded product line with a simple four-tiered model that required eliminating a large number of computer lines, but the resulting simplicity was invaluable in helping the company focus on its core goals.

The decision-makers in the New York Jets hierarchy would do well to mimic this approach if they are truly serious about pursuing Peyton Manning to take over as their quarterback in 2012.

A move such as this might sound to at least one unnamed player as a surefire recipe to reach the Super Bowl, but there is overwhelming evidence suggesting that this would be the wrong move for the Jets to make.

It all starts by understanding what the Jets' real problems are on offense. A lot has been made about their lack of leadership, and while there looks to be more than a bit of truth in that, the biggest issue with Gang Green's offense is its lack of talent in the receiving corps.

In 2010, New York had a true vertical wide receiver in Braylon Edwards. His 12.7 vertical yards per attempt mark (a metric that measures productivity on passes thrown 11 or more yards downfield) ranked 19th in the league.

His ability to stretch the field also worked wonders for opening the passing game up for New York's other wideouts. For proof, check out the number of receptions of 20 or more yards and 40 or more yards for New York's top receivers in 2010:

• Edwards -- Fourteen plays of 20 or more yards, five plays of 40 or more yards.

• Santonio Holmes -- Eleven plays of 20 or more yards, three plays of 40 or more yards.

• Dustin Keller -- Eleven plays of 20 or more yards, two plays of 40 or more yards.

These performances led to Mark Sanchez having 43 plays of 20 or more yards (a total that ranked tied for 12th in the league) and 10 plays of 40 or more yards (tied for fifth).

Now fast-forward to the Jets' totals in those categories in 2011, a season in which the Jets entrusted their vertical pass receiver spot to the aging Plaxico Burress:

These declines resulted in Sanchez's drop-off to only 39 plays of 20 or more yards in 2011, which is more of a significant decrease than the raw numbers show, considering that this was a record-setting passing year across the league. His mark in that category ranked 20th in the league, and his two passes of 40 or more yards ranked dead last.

That Burress wasn't up to this role shouldn't have come as a surprise if one looks at his historical metrics. In his last full season (2007 with the New York Giants), Burress gained only 7.9 YPA on vertical passes.

To put that YPA total into perspective, consider that it ranked 63rd out of 69 qualifying wide receivers that season. In other words, if Burress wasn't a dominant downfield threat then, why would anyone think he could be one today, at 34 years old, after everything that happened to him since then?

If Manning were in his prime, he might be able to work around some of these weaknesses, but just as was the case with Burress, there are multiple signs that Manning's productivity is declining.

In the 2010 season, Manning posted a 9.7 vertical YPA and a 10.7 stretch vertical YPA (stretch vertical being passes thrown 20 or more yards downfield). Both totals were worse than what Sanchez posted that year, and that was with a Colts receiving corps that was much better than the receiving corps the Jets fielded in 2011. It was also before Manning had two more neck surgeries and Holmes went through an implosion as team captain.

The only way Manning could significantly help the Jets is if New York could assure Manning a dramatic improvement in receiving personnel. It will be quite difficult to achieve this goal via the draft, since the Jets won't be in a position to acquire former Oklahoma State wideout Justin Blackmon. Blackmon is, in the eyes of most scouts, the only wide receiver candidate in the draft who looks to have A.J. Green/Julio Jones impact ability from day one.

That leaves leave free agency as the only option for an upgrade. This year's free agent wide receiver crop looks as if it will include Vincent Jackson, DeSean Jackson and Dwayne Bowe, among others, but since New York already invested big money into Holmes' contract last year and would have to find a way to fit Manning's contract under its salary cap, one has to wonder if breaking the bank for a big name wideout would be feasible for the Jets.

Without that kind of upgrade, it would difficult for even the most talented quarterback in the league to turn this offense into a powerhouse. Since Manning looks to have lost that title, it makes the proposition of his joining the Jets one that simply doesn't guarantee an upgrade.

Who knew that Smash was "The Football Scientist." I guess he was right that his knowledge of the game trumps that of the collective children who dare challenge his opinions.

By KC Joyner

ESPN Insider

I approve this article...probably deserved it own thread...thanks Pac.

Archived