Yankees Trade Montero

PFSIKH

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The New York Yankees have traded top prospect Jesus Montero and right-handed pitcher Hector Noesi to the Seattle Mariners in exchange for phenom pitcher Michael Pineda and righty Jose Campos, a source told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.

The Yankees receive the 22-year-old Pineda after he went 9-10 with a 3.74 ERA for the Mariners as a rookie last year.

After an up-and-down year in Triple-A, Montero came up to the majors and showed off his electric bat. In 18 games, he hit .328 with four home runs and 28 RBIs. He was expected to be the Yankees designated hitter this season.

While there are no questions about Montero's bat, there are some doubts on whether he can catch in the majors. The Yankees almost dealt Montero once before to the Mariners in a 2010 trade for Cliff Lee. The trade fell through and the Mariners ended up sending Lee to the Texas Rangers.

Pineda adds more youth to the Yankees' rotation behind CC Sabathia. After Pineda, the Yankees have Ivan Nova and Phil Hughes, who are both 25 years old.

Hughes will likely have to compete with Freddy Garcia and A.J. Burnett for the fourth and fifth starter spots.

Later Friday though, the Yankees added yet another arm, signing former Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Hiroki Kuroda, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

ESPNNewYork.com's Andrew Marchand contributed to this report.

Pineda, who turns 23 next week, is a potentially dominant starter who struck out 173 batters in 171 innings for Seattle last season. He won six of his first 10 starts and as late as May 21 had a 2.16 ERA. He's 6-7 and 260 pounds, and features a slider famously described by the late Mariners broadcaster Dave Niehaus as "diabolical."

Pineda eventually faded a bit in his rookie season, but finished 9-10 with a 3.74 ERA, very respectable numbers for a pitcher in his first exposure to major league hitters.

Wonder if this opens up the Yankees to lowball/shortterm Fielder, who so far has no takers.Or someone, such they could use another FA bat to give various old guys a half day off as DH. Austin Romine (Orson Romaine for Mike Francesa listeners)figures to compete with Cervelli to the backup catcher spot. As they also got another AAA pticher, While you can never really have enough pitching Banuelos and Betances are either nonprospects or trade bait.

I am not ready to give up on Hughes. Really hoping he comes into camp in good shape and can finally find a way to stay healthy.

Yeah but does he have a rotation spot at this point? Very good trade IMO. Pineda and Kuroka could both easily win 15 games with the Yanks. Whenever Hughes has been the 8th inning guy he has looked like a different pitcher so maybe that's his role with the Yanks.

Bugg makes a good point in that the Yank will likely be in on Fielder.

CC

Nova

Kuroka

Pineda

Burnett/Garcia/Hughes

Will be interesting to see if the Minor League pitchers and Hughes become available in trade talks for any holes the Yanks feel thay have.

Yeah but does he have a rotation spot at this point? Very good trade IMO. Pineda and Kuroka could both easily win 15 games with the Yanks. Whenever Hughes has been the 8th inning guy he has looked like a different pitcher so maybe that's his role with the Yanks.

Bugg makes a good point in that the Yank will likely be in on Fielder.

CC

Nova

Kuroka

Pineda

Burnett/Garcia/Hughes

Will be interesting to see if the Minor League pitchers and Hughes become available in trade talks for any holes the Yanks feel thay have.

That is how it looks right now but I want to see Nova do it again so to speak.

Hughes back to the pen could be a possibility...wonder if the Yankees would consider it.

That is how it looks right now but I want to see Nova do it again so to speak.

Hughes back to the pen could be a possibility...wonder if the Yankees would consider it.

Yanks are already loaded in pen..the best in baseball

Robby

Joba

Mo

Wade

Sori

Logan

No room for anyone else

Pineda is a kid I have been watching closely. I didn't think they would consider trading Montero, but they just brought in a stud. He is immediately the number 2 and will be the ace in 2 or 3 seasons while CC is still pitching well. Good move all around for both teams.

The Yankees DH should be set aside strictly for aging Yankee superstars

With Jeter and ARod heading in that direction there was no room for Montero at DH going forward.

The Yanks are real happy with Martin (why wouldn't they) and have Romine and Sanchez (who is the future) as catchers down the road.

Love Montero, and it is a risky trade because we're getting a real unknown, but we had to do it considering the Yanks want to stay below that $189 million

At least we're competitive now with the Angels and Rangers, even though those 2 teams are the real favorites

Love Montero, and it is a risky trade because we're getting a real unknown, but we had to do it considering the Yanks want to stay below that $189 million

At least we're competitive now with the Angels and Rangers, even though those 2 teams are the real favorites

What is the Yankees payroll slated to be at? How far behind will the Red Sox be?

The Yankees do best when they aren't 60mm on top of everyone else. They haven't been good at overspending.

What is the Yankees payroll slated to be at? How far behind will the Red Sox be?

The Yankees do best when they aren't 60mm on top of everyone else. They haven't been good at overspending.

Sox for some reason are desperately trying to stay under the Luxury Tax threshold this season. Trying to nip and tuck where they can considering they have 26 million dollars tied up in two Tommy John surgeries in the rotation. Right now they look like the third best team if they don't make a move.

Sox for some reason are desperately trying to stay under the Luxury Tax threshold this season. Trying to nip and tuck where they can considering they have 26 million dollars tied up in two Tommy John surgeries in the rotation. Right now they look like the third best team if they don't make a move.

What is the luxury tax amount?

A risky move for the Yankees as Montero is the safest bet in this deal to produce, IMO.

But its a risk worth taking.

Disagree. This is about as fair a trade as can go down. In fact if you want to sway one way at this time, the fact that Montero does not have a position makes it a coup for the Yanks. Pineda is a stud regardless.

The Yankees DH should be set aside strictly for aging Yankee superstars

With Jeter and ARod heading in that direction there was no room for Montero at DH going forward.

The Yanks are real happy with Martin (why wouldn't they) and have Romine and Sanchez (who is the future) as catchers down the road.

I don't understand the "unknown" part. This kid SP is the real deal or as much as one can be at this stage of his career.

Sweeney was on the fan hinting that the fact Montero has no true position in addition to some attitude issues may be why he fell out of favor. Nothing to do with payroll. I hate when the Yanks or their fans try and play that card. If the Yanks did not need the DH spot for their aging 3B and SS on occassion, Pujols or Fielder would be in pinstripes.

I think I head that Pineda held RH hitters to the lowest BA in the league as a rookie. (Too lazy to verify).

I don't understand the "unknown" part. This kid SP is the real deal or as much as one can be at this stage of his career.

Sweeney was on the fan hinting that the fact Montero has no true position in addition to some attitude issues may be why he fell out of favor. Nothing to do with payroll. I hate when the Yanks or their fans try and play that card. If the Yanks did not need the DH spot for their aging 3B and SS on occassion, Pujols or Fielder would be in pinstripes.

I think I head that Pineda held RH hitters to the lowest BA in the league as a rookie. (Too lazy to verify).

I've heard and seen this too, so maybe that was a slight factor.

Saw Pineda pitch some, but cant remember if he has a great 3rd pitch or not......

I've heard and seen this too, so maybe that was a slight factor.

Saw Pineda pitch some, but cant remember if he has a great 3rd pitch or not......

Seattle beat writer on the FAN said he was supposed to work with Pedro on a change-up this winter.

I think the Yanks had a great day yesterday. Wish the Mets could have got a SP like this kid.

Archived