Yankees Trade Montero

PFSIKH

Seattle beat writer on the FAN said he was supposed to work with Pedro on a change-up this winter.

I think the Yanks had a great day yesterday. Wish the Mets could have got a SP like this kid.

Sid Rosenberg posted the same thing about the Mets. Saying he wishes the Mets pulled things like this off. Really changed the expectations for the Yankees season in one day. Pretty amazing...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sid Rosenberg posted the same thing about the Mets. Saying he wishes the Mets pulled things like this off. Really changed the expectations for the Yankees season in one day. Pretty amazing...

Well to be fair to the Mets they have not had a prospect like Montero in a while. The fact that Montero hit at the Major League level although a small sample, ensured a nice return. I think the Yanks expectations are the same (aren't they always?) but this makes the rotation pretty much a done deal for now where before there were some question marks in the 3-5 spots.

In fact the Yanks now have the young pitching depth to trade for a difference maker at DH or in the outfield if they choose to go that route.

Well to be fair to the Mets they have not had a prospect like Montero in a while. The fact that Montero hit at the Major League level although a small sample, ensured a nice return. I think the Yanks expectations are the same (aren't they always?) but this makes the rotation pretty much a done deal for now where before there were some question marks in the 3-5 spots.

In fact the Yanks now have the young pitching depth to trade for a difference maker at DH or in the outfield if they choose to go that route.

I wonder what they will do if Burnett has a bad camp. Do they hand him the 5th spot because of that contract? Can't see how they can do that...hopefully somehow he upgrades his 5 cent head to 10 cents and pitches better.

A writer or scout in one of the NY papers said today that Campos (the other SP the Yanks got in the deal) may actually be better than Pineda.

Really one of Cashman's finer days IMO.

Pineda hasnt really proven anything. Has never pitched a complete season in the majors. Nor does he have a fully developed repertoire of pitches.

Montero is a safe bet to produce. We've seen guys like Pineda come and go every year and never materialize. I wanted a PROVEN pitcher in a Montero deal.

High risk move.

Pineda hasnt really proven anything. Has never pitched a complete season in the majors. Nor does he have a fully developed repertoire of pitches.

Montero is a safe bet to produce. We've seen guys like Pineda come and go every year and never materialize. I wanted a PROVEN pitcher in a Montero deal.

High risk move.

Montero is not a PROVEN player either and has NO position. Guys like that come and go everyday as well. The fact that Campos is so highly regarded as well makes it a even nicer deal.

Most baseball people think Pineda is immediately the Yanks #2 SP. His biggest challenges will be improving his road numbers and developing that 3rd pitch.

Yankees will not find another young power RHed bat with a swing MADE for Yankee Stadium.

BTW, how do you go from trading Montero for Cliff Lee (proven ace) to trading him for Pineda?

Yes, the trade could be a steal for the Yankees. And it could also be a disaster. Time will tell.

Yankees will not find another young power RHed bat with a swing MADE for Yankee Stadium.

BTW, how do you go from trading Montero for Cliff Lee (proven ace) to trading him for Pineda?

Yes, the trade could be a steal for the Yankees. And it could also be a disaster. Time will tell.

Lee was a 2 1/2 month rental who we know in hindisght was not going to sign with the Yanks. Pineda is under control for 4 or 5 years. The Yanks CAN sign RH power bats anytime they feel like signing a check....haven't they always?

All trades I guess have some risk as you state.

BTW: How the Lee trade actually went down.

The Yankees had offered Seattle a three-player package, centered around catcher Jesus Montero -- who is rated as one of the best prospects in baseball, despite questions about whether he can be a catcher in the big leagues -- second baseman David Adams and a young prospect.

But the deal began to unravel, a source told ESPN.com, when the Mariners became concerned about the health of Adams, who is out with a sprained ankle.

A source told ESPN.com that Seattle and Texas were very close to a deal for Lee on Wednesday. But the Mariners were pushing for Smoak, the Rangers balked and the deal stalled.

So on Thursday, the Mariners turned their attention to the Yankees and began closing in on that deal. But when those talks blew up, the Rangers -- who by then were aware of all the reports about that Seattle-New York deal -- got back into the picture and agreed to trade Smoak. So the pieces came together very quickly at that point because the two teams almost had a deal done 48 hours earlier.

I think it was a trade as much for payroll, as it was for expectations for the player

Risky trade for Yanks, but obviously they didn't want to take on more salary seeing that Cano and Grandy all looking to get paid next year

I can not say I am a Pineda fan. On paper the trade is a great one for the Yankees. A cost controlled young starter with TOR stuff and a strong rookie season, including an AS appearance and a K/9 >9, AND one of their top 10 prospects.

The obvious reasn for getting that for one prospect is that that prospect is a good one. Montero is going to be a big time bat. The Mariners are going to be a pretty big deal soon if things break well.

Lee was a 2 1/2 month rental who we know in hindisght was not going to sign with the Yanks. Pineda is under control for 4 or 5 years. The Yanks CAN sign RH power bats anytime they feel like signing a check....haven't they always?

I_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

The Yankees trade him to Seattle.

He goes to Seattle to develop his game.

A-Rod and Teix are gone and who comes back in his prime before he is FA eligible in 5 years?

Well played Yankees....well played indeed.

High risk move.

Dude started 28 games last year. That's pretty much a full season for a rookie fifth starter which is what he was.

Dude started 28 games last year. That's pretty much a full season for a rookie fifth starter which is what he was.

What was his era in the 2nd half?

Pineda has flashed, so far. Which is nice. But thats about it.

Yes I know Montero has only done the same. But hitters are easier to project/less of a liability to get hurt.

What was his era in the 2nd half?

Pineda has flashed, so far. Which is nice. But thats about it.

Yes I know Montero has only done the same. But hitters are easier to project/less of a liability to get hurt.

Agree on all points but hitters are much easier to aquire than SP's that project to be top of the rotation. Besides, the 2nd SP the Yanks got is also highly regarded. The Yanks must feel these pitchers are good in that they have two of their own kids in the minors that they have hyped yet still made the deal.....that and the fact Montero has no position.

Seems like a trade of two talented young players. Risk for both sides that either one or both will not fulfull their potential. Yanks do not need a hitter need pitching so it makes sense to take the chance on a talented pitcher.

Seems like a trade of two talented young players. Risk for both sides that either one or both will not fulfull their potential. Yanks do not need a hitter need pitching so it makes sense to take the chance on a talented pitcher.

I think it's more than that. I think there's some Yankee politics in there. They're not lacking in stud hitters right now anyway.

That said, it was basically Montero for Pineda + a top 5 prospect in their system for Montero (Niese is a nice arm who should look good for the M's, but middling upside). I think the Yankees gave away the best player in that trade.

Pineda should be fun project for their pitching coaches though. Fix his mechanics and get him a changeup and you might have a long term something.

no but the Mariners will when Montero hits 50 homers for them this year

No one is going to be hitting 50 dingers when they play half their games in Safeco, just not gonna happen. You know it's a good trade when both sides are pissed off, which seems to be how it's going. Montero is definitely the best player Cashman has traded and he admitted it the other day. One of the few reasons I am not more upset is that we need that DH spot for our aging vets and we have the catcher spot pretty locked up.

No one is going to be hitting 50 dingers when they play half their games in Safeco, just not gonna happen. You know it's a good trade when both sides are pissed off, which seems to be how it's going. Montero is definitely the best player Cashman has traded and he admitted it the other day. One of the few reasons I am not more upset is that we need that DH spot for our aging vets and we have the catcher spot pretty locked up.

lol of course i don't expect a 22 year old to hit 50 homers but on the real Montero is going to be a BEAST

lol of course i don't expect a 22 year old to hit 50 homers but on the real Montero is going to be a BEAST

No doubt about it. Really a bummer to see him go. I just personally hope people give Pineda a chance and don't expect too much out of him this year, but it's new york, so that's clearly asking too much from our fans lol.

Archived