Let's talk about the offense with Sparano and Sanchez

Maxman

Let me start by saying, if you are just going to say that Sanchez blows, there are 14 other threads for you to post in.

What I want to talk about here is what can Sparano do with Mark Sanchez to turn this offense around.

My thoughts?

One of Sparano's big decisions is going to be how much he will trust Mark when the games count. Does he go with the old Paul Hackett, no turnovers, you can not throw 10 INTs this year mentality? Or does he trust him enough to keep the offense semi-open and try to get Mark in the 30 TD range (passing) which means at best he would be in the 15 INT range? Now that is the upside, I am not saying it wouldn't be worse than that. Based on what we have seen there is definitely a downside to either scenario.

But will Sparano trust Mark enough to go for it or do they put the brakes on from the start...big decision.

I do like what I am hearing about making this a physical offense. That needs to be the committment and it will sound funny but a large part of this will fall on Tanny in weird spots. The 2nd tight end will have to be a true run blocking mauler. They might have to pay more than the vet minimum to get that done. Is Jeff Cumberland ready to be that guy? I don't think so, he seems like a big pass catching threat. Not sure if he is ready to grind it out at the line of scrimmage, doing dirty work for 16 games.

Who are the running backs?

Shonn Greene fits this style but can he fit it for 16 games? He matured this year and learned how to play hurt. You could see it in his body language after every tackle, when he was slow to get up. But if you are going to be a physical offense a strong running game is a must and who is the 2nd back?

Joe McKnight doesn't fit that mold. The Jets are worried about his lack of lower body strength. He has break away speed but can he consistently move the chains. Powell didn't show that much this year, curious to see what the Jets think about him moving forward.

Offensive Line Changes...

I think there is one that is imperative and that is at Right Tackle. If you want to bring Wayne Hunter back on a reduced deal as a backup, I don't think it is a great idea but won't complain. Bottom line, he can't be the starter. You can bring the other 4 guys back but if you do that, you can't be wrong about the backups (other than VLAD - we already know they got that wrong). But Caleb, guys like that will have to step up if called upon. And Rob Turner...sign him, he is healthy now.

Wild Cat

I would assume that the wild cat will be part of this offense. They can work out who will run it long term, Kerley, McKnight etc. I don't think this is Shonn Greene's role. But what I would like to see is that when you run it, Sanchez is on the sidelines. The NFL isn't fooled anymore by splitting the WR out, the CB doesn't have anything to worry about. If you want the wild cat to be part of this offense, find a way to make it a true 11 man run\pass offense. Otherwise it has lost its luster.

A bit of a ramble...but what do you think?

I think he is smart enough to know he was hired to run it, run it, run it, take a shot. run it, run it, run it, take a shot

so he is going to hopefully point out the jets have no legit deep threat, and they should go get one, so ironically, in a run first offense, he will (should) beg for a deep threat

and I have been reading that he is into protection, which is awesome, but it really puts pressure on your WR's to win quickly, since there may only be 3 guys going out on a down. another reason to go get a WR

I think that if we fix the running game then Sanchez will be fine. Also fine with running maybe 60% of the time as long as when we are passing some of them are down the field. When Parcels was here I thought it was a really good mixture of ball control with the occasional big play.

Hunter aside, OL needs to be much better than what we saw this season and should be the #1 priority of the new regime. We also need quality depth on the OL. Credible depth at QB has to be high on the list, too. A mauling OL can cure all sorts of ills -- the 49ers's are a great case in point. The rest will fall into place if and when these two issues are addressed.

Sparano is built for Rex’s mold. He is a ground and pound guy. I suspect they will run the ball between the 20’s, then let Sanchez throw it a bit more in the red zone.

I’m sure they will toss it up field on occasion, but I think it will be rare indeed. A lot of Jets fans are going to very unhappy about the conservative approach. Greene will again be the starting RB, but his injury history is a big concern. They need to get more out of McKnight. Guy has got the skill to be a game breaker, both as a runner, and a receiver. Don’t count on him to run it up the gut.

Powell is a major ?. They need another tough RB badly. I don’t think Greene can get through the season without coming up gimpy. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them take another RB in the mid rounds. Won’t label Powell a bust just yet, but he kid didn’t even show a flash in the preseason.

IMO Cumberland is going to be a major contributor. I think that is one of the reasons Moore was brought in to sharpen the two TE set. Keller has led the team in receptions I think two years in a row now. Think if Cumberland is healthy he just might be an impact player. He is not a blocking TE though. They will surely have to bring one in. Wasn’t impressed with Mulligan.

MUST bring in an established vet RT. Can’t gamble the season on a rookie. Don’t know what is going to happen with Vlad, Rex is still talking him up, he gets one more chance. Don’t know what this Rob Turner mania is all about. Guy is the definition of a Jag. His value is that he can play several positions. None of them real well.

WR’s? Hmmmmm. I think Kerley is going to be a player. Holmes is what he is. A good player who is also way over paid, and more trouble then he is worth. He’ll be back on the team though. Big mistake given him the money. I honestly like to see Edwards back. Either way they are going to need a big red zone target (doubt Plax is back) Can Turner play that role? Don’t know. He showed some this year, but I’m not sure he can do it every game.

Yes, the Wild Cat is back

Sparano is built for Rex’s mold. He is a ground and pound guy. I suspect they will run the ball between the 20’s, then let Sanchez throw it a bit more in the red zone.

I’m sure they will toss it up field on occasion, but I think it will be rare indeed. A lot of Jets fans are going to very unhappy about the conservative approach. Greene will again be the starting RB, but his injury history is a big concern. They need to get more out of McKnight. Guy has got the skill to be a game breaker, both as a runner, and a receiver. Don’t count on him to run it up the gut.

Powell is a major ?. They need another tough RB badly. I don’t think Greene can get through the season without coming up gimpy. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them take another RB in the mid rounds. Won’t label Powell a bust just yet, but he kid didn’t even show a flash in the preseason.

IMO Cumberland is going to be a major contributor. I think that is one of the reasons Moore was brought in to sharpen the two TE set. Keller has led the team in receptions I think two years in a row now. Think if Cumberland is healthy he just might be an impact player. He is not a blocking TE though. They will surely have to bring one in. Wasn’t impressed with Mulligan.

MUST bring in an established vet RT. Can’t gamble the season on a rookie. Don’t know what is going to happen with Vlad, Rex is still talking him up, he gets one more chance. Don’t know what this Rob Turner mania is all about. Guy is the definition of a Jag. His value is that he can play several positions. None of them real well.

WR’s? Hmmmmm. I think Kerley is going to be a player. Holmes is what he is. A good player who is also way over paid, and more trouble then he is worth. He’ll be back on the team though. Big mistake given him the money. I honestly like to see Edwards back. Either way they are going to need a big red zone target (doubt Plax is back) Can Turner play that role? Don’t know. He showed some this year, but I’m not sure he can do it every game.

Turner is cheap, that is why I say bring him back, I think he makes the minimum. Having someone that can backup everywhere on the oline, especially center, and be that 3rd tight end is important.

Cumberland could help this team a lot. If they trust him to be the # 2 and he stays healthy\handles it, that is a huge problem solved.

I’m sure they will toss it up field on occasion, but I think it will be rare indeed.

nope, the mold is to take shots, especially around midfield so you don't get bogged down in the red zone. that is why parcells put up with her, and the dolphins went and got koo-koo brains. I bet a deep threat WR is a big emphasis

the one big thing I like about Sparano is that he is a hard a$$ who will instill discipline in the offense. That is the biggest thing with ground and pound is that you can't start with 1st and 15 or 2nd and 20.

My guess this is a run first team that sets up play-action. The big challenge with Rex and G+P is the ability to sustain 80 yard drives gaining 4-5 yards at a time. That is a lot of first downs that they need to compile to be able to get the ball in the endzone.

I think Sparano emphasizes the ground and pound with a smattering of Wilcat that Rex wanted Schotty to add late in this past season. My guess is he reigns Sanchez in early with max protects and gradually allows him more leeway if he reduces the turnovers. I do not know where we get the mauler TE. Agree we need one as Mulligan is terrible. Joel Dreesen is a FA, not sure if we could convince him to come back.

More on the Wildcat, I have to think that this a key reason Ryan hired Sparano. Rex stated in season how he hated to prepare for it and now gets a chance to put more in with Sparano taking the offensive reigns. This is one reason why I'd like to see the Jets target free agent QB Dennis Dixon. If we are going to add more Wildcat we need a triggerman to pull it off...like you stated the QB out wide does absolutely nothing. Every team has been there, done that. Dixon could provide that threat and the Jets could sell the chance to compete for the QB job in case Sanchez struggles. Just not sure if Dixon will have other suitors or not but the contract should not be excessive.

On the RB I have to agree that Greene looks like a grinder...three yards a cloud of dust...we need a breakaway threat...would love to see us target LaMichael James from Oregon in the draft...in college looks like a younger version of LT. The OL needs an immediate solution. The best available free agent RT and then target another player in the draft. Bring back Turner. Hope he comes back fully healthy but agree we cannot wait to find out or leave in the hands of a developmental (Vlad or rookie) player.

You left off the WR position in your original post...your prolly as conflicted as I am...personally I'd cut Holmes but realize the contract may make that unlikely. Plax doubtful to come back. Like what I saw from Kerley. Would like to target a deep threat in free agency or maybe the draft. Braylon anyone? Wonder if he would come back cheap?

Should be another exciting off-season for the Jets...let's hope they make the right moves.

I like the idea of having a true ground and pound running mentality. I think that let's the offensiive line attack and keeps the D on their heels a bit.

I don't think you want Sanchez on the sideline for the wild cat because then the D knows it is coming. Isn't half the value that the D is not aware until they see #6 split wide?

I like Cumberland and he should be able to do the TE chopping they said Sparano likes, but I doubt he'll ever be a mailer in the running game. An interesting guy is the h back, Josh Baker. He's not a true TE or big FB, but he can play either and catch a ton out of the backfield. Richie Anderson or Sowell Train style.

As for the deep threat, they brought in a few burners during the season, Eron Riley for one, but there was another sub-4.3 guy. They may already have been looking for speed. Of course they could have been looking for returners too.

nope, the mold is to take shots, especially around midfield so you don't get bogged down in the red zone. that is why parcells put up with her, and the dolphins went and got koo-koo brains. I bet a deep threat WR is a big emphasis

If you look at what the Giants have done this year, you can't really argue against the merits of the formula. They run the ball but how many 50+ yard touchdowns do they have? Hell they have more 50+ yard touchdown drops than the Jets do attempts...

You left off the WR position in your original post...your prolly as conflicted as I am...personally I'd cut Holmes but realize the contract may make that unlikely. Plax doubtful to come back. Like what I saw from Kerley. Would like to target a deep threat in free agency or maybe the draft. Braylon anyone? Wonder if he would come back cheap?

Should be another exciting off-season for the Jets...let's hope they make the right moves.

Good post.

About the WR, I think Plax and Holmes will be back. Holmes because you can't cut him. Plax because you should be able to get him pretty cheap again. A year older but he got that first year back behind him. He is so tough in the red zone. If they don't bring Plax back it is because they think Patrick Turner is ready to ste up. You just can't teach size....

Good post.

About the WR, I think Plax and Holmes will be back. Holmes because you can't cut him. Plax because you should be able to get him pretty cheap again. A year older but he got that first year back behind him. He is so tough in the red zone. If they don't bring Plax back it is because they think Patrick Turner is ready to ste up. You just can't teach size....

Plax is slow, can't get separation and was very average. They need to give Sanchez weapons. If they bring back Plax it will be a mistake.

Plax is slow, can't get separation and was very average. They need to give Sanchez weapons. If they bring back Plax it will be a mistake.

Wouldn't expect him to be the # 2 guy again, I think that would be a mistake. Kerley should be ahead of him. I am open to having them upgrade the position. Just have a bunch of positions of need. If they get Holmes on track he could be a 1,200 yard guy. Kerley could be a 600-700 yard guy. If you get 400-500 out of Plax and nice red zone production that would because of the production they expect from Keller.

Wouldn't expect him to be the # 2 guy again, I think that would be a mistake. Kerley should be ahead of him. I am open to having them upgrade the position. Just have a bunch of positions of need. If they get Holmes on track he could be a 1,200 yard guy. Kerley could be a 600-700 yard guy. If you get 400-500 out of Plax and nice red zone production that would because of the production they expect from Keller.

Kerley is perfect for the slot. He should stick there. There are a lot of positions that need to be upgraded. WR 2 is one of them.

I think Sanchez is better suited to this type of offense. He is too short for these quick slant ins, plus his accuracy leves something to be desired, not a plus when you throw in between the hashes as mych as BS does. So I think the offense suits him better, but can he run it? Who knows. And yes, they need another punisher at RB. Greene is tough, but he cannot handle the full time load. I don;t think you are rambling. Better OL backups is essdential. The backups this year were so bad that Wayne Hunter at his worst was not replaceable.

I think they should mix it up a bit and consider punting on 3rd down a bit. The element of surprise could really help their field position out.

ROFL. Love it. I am gonna use this in my next heated argument of why the Jets are gonna be back next season with all my hater friends.

I think its just gonna be about being more streamlined in our approach this year. No more plays that makes us all go "WHY DID THEY RUN ON 3rd and 22???" Just more predictability in a good way. And I pray it also means letting Sanchez throw the ball deep more.

Powell is done here. Every time he was in, all he did was turtle up at the line of scrimmage bracing to get hit. I want to see more McKnight, but truthfully, he has not shown that much in anything outside of pure straight line speed. Greene, he was refreshing when Thomas Jones was broken down. But he isn't a Number 1 running back. Not for us anyways. Love to see a ton of changes in the backfield.

Beyond the QB thing the other things that would bring this offense up:

- Get more power and athleticism on the OL.

- Get an all around/real TE, preferably to compliment Keller next year.

Do that you'll find a better running game. From there you get what you can out of Sanchez by throwing deep. Hope he gets good at that and then work on the short stuff...aka rookie QB treatment...I also think Sporano should address Sanchez like the know nothing Sanchez decided to act like last year.

WOW do we beat on Sanchez! I think this hire was and is perfect for us, perfect for Rex, Sanchez is a VERY good QB when he has a good running game. He is a perfect play action QB, who also rolls out well and throws on the run. His game will be the one MOST affected by this change in philosophy. He has beeen in FOUR Post season wins an excellent Ground and Pound Play Action QB. Our running game must have more depth, Greene is good but he/we need a better pounding type backup (can you say Forte). To me our most pressing need is on the O-Line! Wayne Hunter MAY be the type of OT who can maul on running plays BUT is a turnstile on passing plays. I do not know when, if ever, Vlad will be ready so My top need is O-Linemen...you are only as good as your weakest link and the rest of the line was trying to make up for HUNTER (and Mangold when he was hurt). That cannot happen again. Games are won and lost IN THE TRENCHES, and I think both REX and Tony have that philosophy...I think you will see an emphasis on BOTH LINES.

Archived