Can Rex Ryan Regain Control Of The Jets Locker Room?

JetNation

Post image for Can Rex Ryan Regain Control Of The Jets Locker Room?

Just when things started to quiet down in Jets nation running back LaDainian Tomlinson shared his thoughts on the Mark Sanchez/Santonio Holmes relationship.  LT, a very respected player in the Jets locker room, offered up the following comments in his Showtime “Inside the NFL” interview:

On the locker room issues: “It is as bad as I’ve ever been around, honestly. And I’ve been around some locker rooms and quarterback-receiver situations and what-not. But it was as bad as I’ve been around.”

On if Sanchez and Holmes can co-exist on the same team: “Whew, that is a tough one. I would really have to sit down with them and see if they can co-exist, honestly. I mean that is a decision that I really have to make. And if I really feel like they can’t, then you have to make a move.”

How can the Jets handle the situation: “When it gets to that point, there are certain changes that need to happen. Can it be fixed? I think absolutely it can be, but they’re going to have to make some tough decisions.”

These comments by Tomlinson are disturbing and not only reflect poorly on Sanchez and Holmes, but on head coach Rex Ryan as well.  In the NFL the “inmates cannot run the asylum” and clearly on the Jets that is the case.  Coach Ryan appears to have had no clue about what was going on in his locker room and that clearly had a direct impact on the 2011 season.  It is one thing to be a player’s coach, it is another to be lost in space when it comes to having the pulse of your team.

Going forward the #1 question for Rex Ryan is if he has the ability to regain control of his locker room.  The quarterback has to be a respected leader on the team, plain and simple.  If the quarterback does not command respect he is going to have a hell of a time rallying the troops when the times are tough (like the current situation). Secondly, Rex Ryan needs to figure out how to effectively handle Santonio Holmes and other players that don’t seem to be buying into the team program.  Chemistry and team unity plays a huge part in terms of team success in the NFL and right now the New York Jets are coming up very short in both of those areas.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum along with Rex Ryan made educated decisions to bring in some “risky” players to upgrade the talent base on the team.  That plan is beginning to backfire and now it is up to both of these gentlemen to address the situation before it costs them their jobs.  This situation has reached the embarrassing level and may even get worse before it gets better.

I can honestly say that I am starting to become a bit concerned about Rex Ryan’s ability to lead the New York Jets.  Ryan should not have to hire enforcers to clean up his locker room.  Rex should take a hands on, authoritative approach to clean up a mess that he allowed to happen.

di
di

GVGT6zMThTE

View the full article

I could not agree more. This is a mess created by Rex Ryan and I am not so sure he has the ability to fix it. Can he all of a sudden become a disciplinarian? I doubt it. As Rex always says, it is hard for me to not be myself.

Tannenbaum is no better and deserves much of the blame. In my opinion, the Jets should cut their losses and end the Rex Ryan/ mike Tannenbaum era. Bill Polian is out there- not a bad place to start.

So apparently Holmes and Sanchez didn't have any problems with each other in 2010 and now all of the sudden they do? Why?

Winning is a great deodorant. Not much to complain about when you're one game from the Super Bowl. When you go 8-8... not so much. Running a loose ship is fine when you win. When you lose... things get out of hand really quickly, as we can see.

So apparently Holmes and Sanchez didn't have any problems with each other in 2010 and now all of the sudden they do? Why?

When you get traded for a 5th round pick and your playing for a contract, you become a good foot soldier and a model citizen. Once he got "his", is when the sh*t will hit the fan. It's the so called "big head" syndrome! Which I don't blame Holmes one bit for having because management and coaches caused that. How so? Let's see: the amount of his contract, being named a captain for starters. This guy is grossly overpaid, even by using past production as the standard. He is worth about half of what he is getting now, and that other half should have went to Edwards. Remember how everyone questioned, and still questions the lack of interest from management for Edwards? Could it be that Holmes didn't want him here because he wanted to be the guy? To be number 1? I said it then and I'll say it now, Edwards at the time of contracts being handed out was more important to the offense, and a better receiver hands down.

When you get traded for a 5th round pick and your playing for a contract, you become a good foot soldier and a model citizen. Once he got "his", is when the sh*t will hit the fan. It's the so called "big head" syndrome! Which I don't blame Holmes one bit for having because management and coaches caused that. How so? Let's see: the amount of his contract, being named a captain for starters. This guy is grossly overpaid, even by using past production as the standard. He is worth about half of what he is getting now, and that other half should have went to Edwards. Remember how everyone questioned, and still questions the lack of interest from management for Edwards? Could it be that Holmes didn't want him here because he wanted to be the guy? To be number 1? I said it then and I'll say it now, Edwards at the time of contracts being handed out was more important to the offense, and a better receiver hands down.

Well said and I cold not agree more. Holmes has value but can not be "the guy" . He does not have the makeup to handle it without being a D*ck. He is a cry baby and is a team second kind of player. That would be fine if we had not invested so much in him. BE was much more valuable and for all of his issues, played hard. He rarely took plays off and I feel we missed his down field blocking as evidenced by our running game lacking this seasson. Obviously there were other components that also had an effect, but Braylon is nasty when it's a running play. Does holmes even block?

Who says they didn’t? just because it didn’t spill out into the street doesn’t mean it wasn’t there.

If Holmes didn’t have the shouting match in the Miami game we might not be so aware of this. Rumors perhaps, but nothing like this.

Rex has got a problem here. I don’t think Woody helped by coming out and saying Holmes would be back next year, and he’s the best player we ever had. That’s gonna piss some people off.

They would have been much better served just letting this lay for now.

Rex’s career probably rests on how he gets a hold of this

Who says they didn’t? just because it didn’t spill out into the street doesn’t mean it wasn’t there.

If Holmes didn’t have the shouting match in the Miami game we might not be so aware of this. Rumors perhaps, but nothing like this.

Rex has got a problem here. I don’t think Woody helped by coming out and saying Holmes would be back next year, and he’s the best player we ever had. That’s gonna piss some people off.

I very much doubt that they had problems like this in 2010. Reason being is that common sense says Tanny asked Sanchez whether he wanted Holmes back before resigning him. If Holmes didn't like Sanchez in his contract year, he must have been a good actor and hidden it well.

Have you heard ofbelieve half of what you see and nothing of what you hear? Possible that Woody is doing the old Schottenhiemer sell job on Holmes to possiblly get some team to bite the bullet and trade for him?

Otherwise I expect Rex to house Mark and Tone in the same room at Cortland in the offseason

Winning is a great deodorant. Not much to complain about when you're one game from the Super Bowl. When you go 8-8... not so much. Running a loose ship is fine when you win. When you lose... things get out of hand really quickly, as we can see.

Exactly. There have to be changes, but it's correctable.

Archived