Jets defense too predictable?

Barton

If teams can negate the playmaking ability of your best player (Revis) by simply not throwing at him, shouldnt our coaching staff adjust?

Why not move Revis around more ala Charles Woodson? How often is Revis blitzing, playing nickel, covering the TE, roving etc? Never.

Rex is obsessed with man-on-man defense. Might be time to incorporate a new wrinkle, JMO.

If teams can negate the playmaking ability of your best player (Revis) by simply not throwing at him, shouldnt our coaching staff adjust?

Why not move Revis around more ala Charles Woodson? How often is Revis blitzing, playing nickel, covering the TE, roving etc? Never.

Rex is obsessed with man-on-man defense. Might be time to incorporate a new wrinkle, JMO.

The problem with the Jets defense is that no one on the Jets can draft a pass rusher.

I refuse to embarrass myself by debating how to fix Rex's defense.

2011: 5th

2010: 3rd

2009: 1st

2008: 2nd

2007: 6th

2006: 1st

2005: 5th

The defense did disappoint at times. But honestly, after maybe Safety, the biggest upgrade you could make to this defense is an offense that gets first downs.

The Jets win games with the defense on the field, stopping a team on 4th down. Good teams win games with the offense on the field, taking running the ball until they can kneel down.

The defense did disappoint at times. But honestly, after maybe Safety, the biggest upgrade you could make to this defense is an offense that gets first downs.

The Jets win games with the defense on the field, stopping a team on 4th down. Good teams win games with the offense on the field, taking running the ball until they can kneel down.

Could not agree more....

Our best playmaker is negated by opposing offenses. Why has our coaching staff not counter-adjusted?

Because he basically takes their best playmaker out of the game.

Revis isn't really a "playmaker". He's a guy that does his job incredibly well and forces the other team to use their other options besides their #1 WR.

Because he basically takes their best playmaker out of the game.

Revis isn't really a "playmaker". He's a guy that does his job incredibly well and forces the other team to use their other options besides their #1 WR.

Thats not always true and thus my point. Revis only covers wide-outs.

Pats best weapons Chad Johnson and Branch?

Our best playmaker is negated by opposing offenses. Why has our coaching staff not counter-adjusted?

Revis is not the problem. When you see how the Jints picked apart Charles Woodson, I have to disagree. The problem is no pass rush extends plays. And as the play breaks down receivers get open.

Revis is not the problem. When you see how the Jints picked apart Charles Woodson, I have to disagree. The problem is no pass rush extends plays. And as the play breaks down receivers get open.

....never said Revis is the problem. My claim is the Jets are not fully utlizing his skillset by keeping him on an "island" 24/7.

Woodson might be falling off but his versatility in a defense maximized his playmaking ability throughout the latter half of his career.

No reason why Jets cant move Revis around some in particular circumstances (Patriots etc).

Thats not always true and thus my point. Revis only covers wide-outs.

Pats best weapons Chad Johnson and Branch?

Of course some teams are built differently.

But, Revis is just one player, and he's one player who doesn't rush the QB. You can avoid players like that.

Best CB in the league < Good pass rusher.

I agree. Revis is the definition of a complete corner. He plays man, zone, he can play the run and I believe he can get to the QB. Revis needs to be all over the field.

I think we've been obsessed with making Revis "the island". Revis can do it all, and he should if he's capable to. sh*t, you already paid him! lol.

Rex has no problem with Defensive scheme or being predictable he just lacked any talent at all at the safety position and the LB's are beginning to age a bit. Only predictability was since our Safeties were so horrible we could not stop TE's from exploiting the living hell out of us no matter what play Rex called/

I agree. Revis is the definition of a complete corner. He plays man, zone, he can play the run and I believe he can get to the QB. Revis needs to be all over the field.

I think we've been obsessed with making Revis "the island". Revis can do it all, and he should if he's capable to. sh*t, you already paid him! lol.

Man I know its was not taken well when i brought it up last year,,, but I would love to see what Revis could do at the safety position. As smart as he is and as much as he studies players on film i think it would be fun to watch. I mean hes a tough SOB as well and tackles better than all our safties to begin with LOL . I wonder if he would become that playmaker this defense really needs like an Ed Reed or Troy Palamalu

Rex has no problem with Defensive scheme or being predictable he just lacked any talent at all at the safety position and the LB's are beginning to age a bit. Only predictability was since our Safeties were so horrible we could not stop TE's from exploiting the living hell out of us no matter what play Rex called/

I completely agree. Pace sucks IMO. They can say whatever they want about him, he has no real impact. BT was hurt this year and we missed his athleticism and abilty to cover as well as get to the run. He is getting older and is coming off of an injury. There is a serious need to upgrade the position as well as safety. It's past due with these guys. Eric smith has value but should not be a starting safety. The Jim Leonard era is over as well. We have work to do, but Rex's ability to call a D is not the problem as I see it. Talent is.

1 round: OLB

2 round: OLB

3 round: Safety

4 round: RT

5 round: RB

6 round: TE

7 round: GFY

Cool story, bro.

What will happen more than likely is this:

1(13) Trent Richardson--Tannenbaum trades 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up to #13 to draft Richardson because Sparano loveeees him.

4: RT

5: S

6: OG

7: P

This defense has never been elite in creating turnovers and forcing sacks.

Teams bleed them to death by going over the middle of the field in big spots.

This has not been an elite defense

Yeah. You put a stud pass rusher on the team and it's elite. A ball hawk safety, too. Good luck finding those guys.

Archived